FairTax: The Truth: Answering the Critics

FairTax: The Truth: Answering the Critics

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In 2005, firebrand radio talk show host Neal Boortz and Georgia congressman John Linder created "The FairTax Book," presenting the American public with a bold new plan designed to eliminate federal taxes and the IRS, jump-start the U.S. economy, bring back lost industries and jobs, and recapture billions of untaxed dollars hoarded by criminal and offshore businesses. Their...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published February 12th 2008)

Bernie
The Fair Tax is an idea both liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans can get behind.

It's ideas are simple but revolutionary.

What if we had a tax system that was not designed to punish?

What if our tax system was transparent enough so that we could actually discern where politicians are directing our money?

What if our tax system supported, rather than obscured government accountability, and systems of political patronage could be uprooted?

What if we could abolish the IRS and eliminat...more
Sean
I liked the FairTax more before reading this book. The tone was bad, bordering on patronizing. The repeated characterization of income tax supporters as marxist was particularly bad.

It was almost like Fox News in book form.

Maybe I just need to find a book on the FairTax that is more geared towards economics rather than punditry.
Randy
Nov 18, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone that pays taxes, democrats ,republicans
This is a follow up book to "The Fair Tax" book that answers questions posed by opponents of the bill. Yes, it is a book about a tax bill, and yes it is captivating.

Please don't believe all the bs that people are spouting about the fair tax. I am an avid supporter of this grass roots movement to completely overhaul our tax code. It is an inclusive 23% consumption tax, only levied on new consumer goods that replaces the roughly 22% you already pay in embedded taxes. It would completely eliminat...more
David Todd
I haven't yet made up my mind as to whether I will support a national consumption tax as opposed to our present system of obtaining most Federal revenue from taxing income. This book, the second in the Fair Tax series, had certainly pushed me in that direction.

Boortz, Linder, and woodall do a fair job of defining and defending the Fair Tax. The purpose of this book, however, was not really to define the FT, but to refute the major criticisms of the FT that had been raised in the couple of years...more
Quinton
This book is a good, though slightly biased description of the FairTax. It is written by a politician, and a talk show host/lawyer, and so you could understand that they don't always go into detail, and they try to keep it pretty happy, so you don't think about the details. I can understand though.. if they went into the details of the tax code, how many people, other than myself obviously, would actually want to read it?
It's a good continuation of the previous book, on the FairTax, which is a 2...more
Rich
While the conservative talk show host author/reader is a bit hard to take, I found his arguments for a consumption tax (in lie of income and employment taxes) very compelling.

The Fairtax approach may not be progressive enough for some, but I think the end result would be a substantially similar distribution of tax responsibility.

A few of the benefits of the system are: no lobbyists seeking special tax status, less conflicted legislators, more competitive pricing of exports, tax haven for off sho...more
Zach
I never thought I'd be saying this about a book about taxes, but "FairTax: The Truth" is a page-turner from beginning to end. Neal Boortz and Rep. John Linder do a phenomenal job of articulating the FairTax in a way that allow everyday Americans without a background in Economics to understand the FairTax and why it is a superior solution to our current income tax system.

The premise of the book is simple: our current tax code is a mess. There are 67,000 pages of regulations in our current tax cod...more
Anna
Jul 25, 2008 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carrie
If I could give this book twenty stars, I would. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, needs to read this book. Members of Congress, teachers, even teenagers. If you pay taxes, pick up this book. When I first saw it, I thought I could not bear to read a non-fiction book about taxes. But I cannot put it down. I didn't read the first book, but I really don't think it matters if you read the original before you read this.

The writing was clear and concise. Even if you are not a supporter of the Fair Tax,...more
Jamie
May 07, 2009 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who had any questions about the FairTax
Recommended to Jamie by: Tony Colamarino
If you've read the first book by Neal Boortz et al, you will likely have at least 1 or 2 questions regarding the FairTax. This book will answers those questions, as well as some others you didn't even think to ask (but were glad they are answered here as well).

See my review of The Fair Tax Book Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS, and you too will likely become a FairTax evangelist.
Gary
First I want to say that I support the FairTax concept and encourage all Americans to review this information as it can help piece are country together and restore the economic vitality. FairtTax does not reduce or increase our taxes, just simplifies the collection process with a retail consumption tax and eliminating all income and payroll taxes. Yes you would get 100% of what you get paid. Read this stuff at FairTax.org. Second, the authors although bright are not talented writers and this is...more
Nicole
I've had this book sitting in my shelf since it came out. I bought it because I wanted to learn more about the Fair Tax, but every time I would think of reading it, I would talk myself out of it because I figured that a book about taxes would be boring. I finally read it and, well, was I wrong! This is a great book. It is short and written in a conversational style, so it was very easy to get through. It was very interesting and I really enjoyed reading it. It presented the Fair Tax and addresse...more
VoteTassia
Aug 07, 2008 VoteTassia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone concerned about taxes, the FED, and the IRS.
This was a good read, describing what a terrible mess the current tax system is. The Fair Tax is basically, if they can pass it, an alternative to the income tax. Instead of paying an income tax, it proposes a national sales tax. Though my personal belief is that there isn't really a need for taxes at all, I do believe that such a system as the FairTax would be a good transition. Definitely better than the current system. So, even if you are, as I am, opposed to taxation, this book is still load...more
Kevin
a good read, good follow up book to the first Fairtax Book, this sounds like a tax system that would really benefit our country, just the funding of social security and medicade would be worth it, with a consumption tax more revenue would come in, and it would eliminate a huge wasteful beauracacy, called the IRS, taxation would be more evenly distributed and would be more transparent, you would have more money in your pocket, and the fairtax should help drive down prices, sounds good to me.
Camille
Feb 13, 2013 Camille rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates our current tax code
Shelves: economics, politics
This was a great follow up to the first FairTax book by these authors. I do think it is a good idea to read the first book also because you get a better idea of the history of our current tax system and a better understanding of what the FairTax is.

This book is great at addressing most of the critisms though. It also gave me a renewed anger at the current mess of a tax system we're under now! Especially at this time of the year!!!
David
The concept of the Fair Tax is very interesting. However, the authors of this book are clearly biased and they often fail to make compelling arguments to the criticisms against the tax. You get the feeling that they are so excited about it that they can't look at it objectively. Basically, this is propaganda as opposed to investigation.
Ellen C
This book will make you think about our tax system and whether or not we need the IRS. The authors are experts in their fields and the arguments are detailed and well constructed. Their are many sides to the Fair Tax issue and the authors do a great job at addressing each of them.
Lindsey
Good, although not as groundbreaking as the first. For those who are interested in spreading the word about the FairTax, this book covers some good argument points to remember. Otherwise, it's worth reading as a refresher.
Linden
I have increasingly become to believe that the Fair Tax is the best option for tax reform. Still not satisfied that charities would not be hit hard despite the authors explanation that charities would be by and large unaffected.
David
A very helpful book which helps identify some questions about the FairTax. The authors spend more time addressing concerns about the FairTax plan and explaining in further detail how it will benefit our economy.
Kevin
I believe the way we collect taxes in the country should be changed. I believe the FairTax is currently the best alternative. This book helps explain what the FairTax is, and what it is not.
John
Not as interesting as the first book still a good alternative to the current broken tax system. This version is a bit more detailed than the first book on The Fair Tax.
Jason Keisling
While I do think that a fairtax would be far superior than the current income tax, it's still not ideal. Regardless, this book was an easy and persuasive read.
Will
This book was a great read. It fills in the details the previous book left out, and helps show that this plan is well thought out.
Onemanbandit
very eye opening and the world is coming to end if we don't get on the ball with the fairtax
Neal
Boortz does a fine job explaining a new tax system proposed to replace our Income Tax System.
Freddie williams
Good book, great facts, Utopian in nature- would be better than what we have got!
Tammy
You must read------Tax reform is a must need for this country-----very interesting.
Atchisson
I really wish more than a few people would read this and its precursor. I really do.
Tami
Makes too much sense for our government to participate in it. I love the idea!!!
Scott S
I'm a CPA and was a fair tax sceptic. This book made me a believer. Excellent!
  • The Housing Boom and Bust
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse
  • America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • The Naked Communist
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • Do the Right Thing: Inside the Movement That's Bringing Common Sense Back to America
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
  • What It Means to Be a Libertarian
  • More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws
  • The Case Against the Fed
  • Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America
  • Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
  • Ted, White and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto
The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS Somebody's Gotta Say It The Terrible Truth About Liberals Maybe I Should Just Shut Up and Go Away!: The Last No-Holds-Barred Literary Gasp--Part Memoir and Part Commentary--Of a 42-Year Veteran Talk Radio (A)Right-Wing Nut Job or (B)Libertarian Icon The Commencement Speech You Need to Hear

“Just what do we tax under our current system? Work, that’s what. Hard work and productivity. The harder you work, the more you achieve. The more you achieve, the more you’re taxed. To make matters worse, under our “progressive” income tax system, the harder you work, the more severe the punishment actually is!” 3 likes
“Businesses and other organizations spend more than six billion hours each year complying with the federal tax code. Estimated compliance costs conservatively top $225 billion annually—costs that are ultimately embedded in retail prices paid by consumers.” 1 likes