Start by marking “bu çok acil!” as Want to Read:
bu çok acil!

bu çok acil!

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Yitirilen ivme, telaş ve kendinden hoşnutluğa dair dersler...

Kuruluşunuzun sıkı bir değişime ihtiyaç duyduğu ortada. Büyük ihtimalle neye ihtiyaç duyduğunu da biliyorsunuz: Yeni bir strateji, belki bir birleşme veya yeniden yapılandırma..

Fakat nedense değişim inanılmaz ölçüde yavaş ve bir kayayı bir tepeye çıkarmak kadar zor. Yeni ve büyük fikirlerin bir yerde tıkanıp kald
172 pages
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about bu çok acil!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about bu çok acil!

Roberto
A book that describes the pitfalls of complacency and having a false sense of urgency, and suggests tactics to improve a company´s sense of urgency. It all starts with understanding that big and recent successes increase complacency. Then, after planning for it (because it will happen), 4 tactics are proposed to increase the real sense of urgency:
1 - Bring the outside environment inside the company --> through soft or hard ways, bring data from the outside world to the company in meaningful w
Trevor
In Leading Change, Kotter laid out the 8 stages of how to lead change. The connection between this book, A Sense of Urgency, and that book is that the first stage in the change process is, "Establishing a sense of urgency."

Establishing this sense of urgency - which Kotter defines as, "a gut-level determination to move and win, now" - is important enough to warrant a book all on its own because change efforts most often fail because change leaders "did not create a high enough sense of urgency am
Kristin
Apparently I needed to create a sense of urgency to read Sense of Urgency! This sat on my shelf for over a year! Given we're due to teach Kotter this spring and given one of my students just read it for independent study, I thought I should get started.

The book makes helpful distinctions between complacency, false urgency and true urgency within our organizations, discussing the signs and effects of each. The author defines urgency as "the determination to win and move, now". Four tactics for cr
Anthony Deluca
A Sense of Urgency
By: John P. Kotter
Read: September 2009
Reviewed: November 2009
Copyright: 2008

A Sense of Urgency is the second book I have read by Kotter. The first was Leading Change which was written about 11 years prior. A Sense of Urgency builds upon a subset of the content from Leading Change.

Kotter starts out by comparing a sense of urgency to complacency and false urgency. Often in business people become complacent when success has been had. Even if there is a brief sense of urgency, due
Gene Babon
A Sense of Urgency is my fourth and final recommendation for best business book of 2008. The other three were as follows:

What Got You Here Won't Get You There
Never Eat Alone
Launching a Leadership Revolution (Best Business Book of 2008)

One of the author's earlier efforts was the fable Our Iceberg is Melting. A Sense of Urgency provides substance to this fable.

Creating a sense of urgency is the first of eight steps that leaders in any organization need to master in order to improve business operat
Cathy Allen
This is a good one for those with a deep interest in a change project, and I am glad I read it. But for most of us, Kotter's Leading Change is all we need to truly understand the process of initiating and sustaining a successful change effort. The eight steps he elucidates there (and recaps in the fun little fable Our Iceberg is Melting) form a foundation for thinking through organizational change and for implementing it.

Step 1, Create a Sense of Urgency, is probably the most difficult of the s
Brandon
A SENSE OF URGENCY BY JOHN KOTTER

SUMMARY

True urgency focuses on critical issues. It is driven by the deep determination to win, not anxiety about losing. Many people confuse it with false urgency. This misguided sense of urgency does have energized action, but it has a frantic aspect to it with people driven by anxiety and fear. This dysfunctional orientation prevents people from exploiting opportunities and addressing real issues.
A big reason that a true sense of urgency is rare is that it’s n
David
Let me first disclose that my behavioral style and personal experience put me on the other end of the spectrum with this topic of urgency. The author did a good job explaining these areas at a basic level; however, I am still not convinced these tactics work effectively at the level this book covered the topic.

Kotter describes the types of urgency and the difference between real urgency and false urgency. He also shares scenarios for a person to create a shared sense of urgency with a team. The
getAbstract
Exposition on the importance of urgency

Complacent organizations simply cannot keep pace with today's accelerating rate of change. Resting on your laurels is no longer viable. Competitors, evolving markets and technological developments will swamp organizations that try to sit things out on the sidelines. Today, organizations must adopt the "fierce urgency of now" ethos that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made famous in the 1960s. Business expert John P. Kotter explains why. His book tells leaders h
Erwin
If you have a new leadership position in a slow moving company, read this. Hopefully that position is CEO, because otherwise it's very difficult to implement this vision of urgency, a feeling that I think comes naturally for any truly entrepreneurial person.

I've been in a slow moving company, and even though I reported to the CEO, no matter what I did to bring the outside in, to creae urgency, my group could not overcome the friction of a "non-urgent culture".

If you're the CEO, sell off the cash
Michael Roman
Quickly tired of this book. Kotter likes to quote his other books too much. The book also lacks practical advice. There is plenty of stories and plenty of "theory" ( though no facts) but little in between. I wouldn't recommend beyond reading the first chapter.
Lori
Great book to discuss as part of a team offsite. Quick and useful read; easily able to apply Kotter's four tactics to existing project management responsibilities. Team created visuals of each tactic to remind us to use them going forward.
Garland Vance
John Kotter's "Leading Change" is an excellent read on creating change within an organization. A Sense of Urgency follows up on his seminal work by concentrating on the first necessity of change--creating a sense of urgency. I found the book motivational more than highly applicable. It is a good book worth listening to or perusing for quick insights.

The greatest insight I gained was: to create a sense of urgency we often need to look outside of our own organizations to see the problems we face.
Kathy
Wish I would of read this book earlier, when I was still employed. Made sense.
Jeff
Kotter's book "Leading Change" is a much better read.

To create change you must create a sense of urgency.

This requires a heart-engaging experience that communicate emotionally compelling needs that not only stretch goals but excite and arouse determination.

The tactics used to bring about this senses of urgency is:
1. Bring outside reality into your group.
2. The leader behaves with a sense of true urgency every single day.
3. The leader looks for upsides in crises.
4. The leader confronts the
Keith
Mar 22, 2012 Keith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Very new managers
Shelves: business
I rated the book a 3 and not a 4 because, while I agree with the underlying message, Kotter was unable to motivate me to do anything. One of his key points is that in order to lead people, you must have an equal (and perhaps greater) focus on the heart as opposed to the head. His writing style just didn't do that for me. Other points seemed a bit obvious to me, like identifying the people that can accelerate urgency vs. block it, and "bringing the outside in". In my experience, all that he says ...more
Jen
This book was tough for me to get through and finish, so it didn't create a sense of urgency in me. Kotter does a decent job of exploring the false sense of urgency that companies can get, or the sense of complacency and thinking that they are okay, don't need to change, in a good market position, etc. that both bad and good companies can experience, but it wasn't as attention-grabbing and compelling to me as Leading Change was.
Alexey Shpakov
After reading the book I don't feel confident enough to review it. The overall idea seems quite simple and more or less obvious: only urgent people make change happen. However, it takes the whole book to properly deliver it and discuss in details. No doubt those, striving for a change, will benefit greatly reading it.
I'll definitely reread the book in future to brush up and better understand all the concepts mentioned.
Must read for management and executives.
Michael
Kotter is always a must-read if you are working in a business or in a position where change, especially necessary and/or dramatic change, is the norm. A Sense of Urgency is a deep dive into the first of Kotter's multistep process to initiate and manage change throughout an organization. It's a very good read, and provides great insights into what it takes to establish the proper sense of urgency around change in an organization.
C.
Oct 24, 2008 C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Fascinating read - distinguishes between complacency, false sense of urgency (lots of activity, not a lot of focus) and a real sense of urgency (move and win, now).

The cases are very familiar to me - business situations I've seen since the 1990s in my own experience. If nothing else it's a great diagnostic tool to see where your group/firm is and how to move things in your sphere of influence in the right directions.
Esteban Mulki
Un artículo alargado para llenar 200 páginas. Una idea clara con propuestas concretas que podrían haber sido resumidas en 30 páginas o 50 como mucho. Vale la pena notar la idea de capitalismo a ultranza que subyace a través de esa "urgencia continua", explicitado de manera única casi al final, cuando habla sobre "mirarse desde el punto de vista del inversionista". Hasta me dio cosita y todo.
Cathy
This is not Kotter's best book. It is more of a synthesis of his previous work, with a focus on explaining in greater detail his thoughts behind "My Iceberg is Melting."

That said, it is full of useful ideas/suggestions about how to build a sense of urgency in the workplace . . . something that he contends (and I agree) that is critical to surviving in this rapidly changing world.
Rob
This is a very easy read about how to handle change management in the workplace. The concepts are fairly simple, but the colorful examples used to reinforce them are well done. The book is clearly targeted for mass distribution within an organization (in fact, this is how I heard about Kotter's work). I am glad I read it, but can't say there is anything earth-shattering inside it.
Mary Jo Keaney
Aug 11, 2009 Mary Jo Keaney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in business or education
Going from good to great in an organization involves identifying opportunities. If a team is going to improve, there needs to be self examination as well as feedback from customers. Complacency and relying on what you accomplished in the past can be a problem. This book suggests strategies for identifying opportunities to respond to real urgencies versus made up crises. Very quick read.
Sebastian
"De auteur legt in 8 stappen hoe naar zijn mening veranderingen succesvol te organiseren en te realiseren zijn. Interessant is zijn visie wat zelfgenoegzaamheid kan doen in een organisatie en wat het verschil is tussen valse urgentie en echte urgentie. De rest van zijn boek gaat over 4 tactieken bij het realiseren van veranderingen. De simpelheid van de aanpak is aanstekelijk."
Yuting
While on the light side, I found this book to be a concise how-to guide for those interested in leading organizational change but are faced with organizational skepticism and lethargy. This book should not be read on its own but in conjunction with the author's earlier book "Leading Change". Otherwise, reading this book on its own won't make much sense
Jeff Bobin
This could be a very important book if you are part of an organization that needs to be ready for the future. Because it is so easy to become content and to coast as we grow this will make you think about the consequences of inaction.

Packed full of useful information to get you moving forward again with a lot of practical ideas.
Blake Kanewischer
This book doesn't grab me to the same degree as his other work has--it's about how to keep the fire burning under people's derrieres, and I've always felt roasted derrieres need a break after being roasted. The meat needs to sit and reabsorb the juices. That, to me, is where urgency comes from; not from running like a hamster on a wheel.
Dennis Willingham
Excelent "pop" management book. Looking back at past jobs, I could see I had been sucessiful and enjoyed my job more when following the sucessful principles outlined. Came away with specific tools and strategies that could be put in place to get things done. I'm planning on going back and reading some of his older books.
Mark Leonard
Excellent point, not-so-good writing. This would have been much better as an article length study in a magazine. Filling this out to a book forced the author to stretch a lot of points to where they seemed to be creaking. Read the first couple of chapters and you will have the main ideas that you can take from this.
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
  • Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances And Results from Knowledge Workers
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, and The Heart of Change. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a leadership organization that helps Global 5000 company leaders devel ...more
More about John P. Kotter...
Leading Change Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down John P. Kotter on What Leaders Really Do