Start by marking “bu çok acil!” as Want to Read:
bu çok acil!

bu çok acil!

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  942 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Yitirilen ivme, telaş ve kendinden hoşnutluğa dair dersler...

Kuruluşunuzun sıkı bir değişime ihtiyaç duyduğu ortada. Büyük ihtimalle neye ihtiyaç duyduğunu da biliyorsunuz: Yeni bir strateji, belki bir birleşme veya yeniden yapılandırma..

Fakat nedense değişim inanılmaz ölçüde yavaş ve bir kayayı bir tepeye çıkarmak kadar zor. Yeni ve büyük fikirlerin bir yerde tıkanıp kald
172 pages
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about bu çok acil!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about bu çok acil!

Audrey
Mar 22, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
simple steps, good stories to illustrate the lessons. tactic 2 "behave with urgency everyday" was the one I responded to most
Gene Babon
Jan 02, 2009 Gene Babon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A Sense of Urgency is my fourth and final recommendation for best business book of 2008. The other three were as follows:

What Got You Here Won't Get You There
Never Eat Alone
Launching a Leadership Revolution (Best Business Book of 2008)

One of the author's earlier efforts was the fable Our Iceberg is Melting. A Sense of Urgency provides substance to this fable.

Creating a sense of urgency is the first of eight steps that leaders in any organization need to master in order to improve business operat
Roberto
Jun 13, 2014 Roberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that describes the pitfalls of complacency and having a false sense of urgency, and suggests tactics to improve a companys sense of urgency. It all starts with understanding that big and recent successes increase complacency. Then, after planning for it (because it will happen), 4 tactics are proposed to increase the real sense of urgency:
1 - Bring the outside environment inside the company --> through soft or hard ways, bring data from the outside world to the company in meaningful wa
Trevor
Mar 10, 2013 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 2013
In Leading Change, Kotter laid out the 8 stages of how to lead change. The connection between this book, A Sense of Urgency, and that book is that the first stage in the change process is, "Establishing a sense of urgency."

Establishing this sense of urgency - which Kotter defines as, "a gut-level determination to move and win, now" - is important enough to warrant a book all on its own because change efforts most often fail because change leaders "did not create a high enough sense of urgency am
Kristin
Jan 14, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Apparently I needed to create a sense of urgency to read Sense of Urgency! This sat on my shelf for over a year! Given we're due to teach Kotter this spring and given one of my students just read it for independent study, I thought I should get started.

The book makes helpful distinctions between complacency, false urgency and true urgency within our organizations, discussing the signs and effects of each. The author defines urgency as "the determination to win and move, now". Four tactics for cr
Anthony Deluca
Mar 31, 2013 Anthony Deluca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Sense of Urgency
By: John P. Kotter
Read: September 2009
Reviewed: November 2009
Copyright: 2008

A Sense of Urgency is the second book I have read by Kotter. The first was Leading Change which was written about 11 years prior. A Sense of Urgency builds upon a subset of the content from Leading Change.

Kotter starts out by comparing a sense of urgency to complacency and false urgency. Often in business people become complacent when success has been had. Even if there is a brief sense of urgency, due
Cathy Allen
This is a good one for those with a deep interest in a change project, and I am glad I read it. But for most of us, Kotter's Leading Change is all we need to truly understand the process of initiating and sustaining a successful change effort. The eight steps he elucidates there (and recaps in the fun little fable Our Iceberg is Melting) form a foundation for thinking through organizational change and for implementing it.

Step 1, Create a Sense of Urgency, is probably the most difficult of the s
Brandon
A SENSE OF URGENCY BY JOHN KOTTER

SUMMARY

True urgency focuses on critical issues. It is driven by the deep determination to win, not anxiety about losing. Many people confuse it with false urgency. This misguided sense of urgency does have energized action, but it has a frantic aspect to it with people driven by anxiety and fear. This dysfunctional orientation prevents people from exploiting opportunities and addressing real issues.
A big reason that a true sense of urgency is rare is that it’s n
Tariq Mustafa
The core concept of the book is brilliant i.e. Hard work begets success, success begets complacency and complacency very soon and always meet challenge from the surrounding's disruption. The book champions the guideline of always keeping this principle in mind and bring a sense of real urgency in whatever we do at all times. It even suggests to create false alarms when the situation is too good and the group is prone to the complacency cycle. 30 percent of the book is repetitive.
David
Jul 19, 2012 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me first disclose that my behavioral style and personal experience put me on the other end of the spectrum with this topic of urgency. The author did a good job explaining these areas at a basic level; however, I am still not convinced these tactics work effectively at the level this book covered the topic.

Kotter describes the types of urgency and the difference between real urgency and false urgency. He also shares scenarios for a person to create a shared sense of urgency with a team. The
E
Oct 11, 2010 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exposition on the importance of urgency

Complacent organizations simply cannot keep pace with today's accelerating rate of change. Resting on your laurels is no longer viable. Competitors, evolving markets and technological developments will swamp organizations that try to sit things out on the sidelines. Today, organizations must adopt the "fierce urgency of now" ethos that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made famous in the 1960s. Business expert John P. Kotter explains why. His book tells leaders h
Joshua Wright
Kotter is a Harvard professor and this book reads like a textbook. There are a few good concepts but the delivery is not very inspiring. The real life examples he gives never include the names of the actual companies involved, which I find odd. I assume he pulled them from his research and didn't have permission to print the details. I recommend "Switch" by the Heath brothers as a much better book on this topic.
Ravi Warrier
A book that every person must read! John Kotter, the definitive pundit of Change Management tells you what it requires to make that change happen. And it all starts with a sense of urgency. If you are a manager or professional that has to deal with change regularly at work, this is a book that will help you rally those troops for the change.
1 strategy and 4 tactics: brilliant!
Hunter
Feb 08, 2015 Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (Despite an incredibly boring preface) is straight to the point and full of only great insights. I recommend it to anyone who values their time. One thing I got a lot of value from was updating the walls in my work space weekly with relevant information to my goals and progress and competition. VERY insightful book it would take too long to write it all out here! Get it!
Erwin
Apr 21, 2014 Erwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have a new leadership position in a slow moving company, read this. Hopefully that position is CEO, because otherwise it's very difficult to implement this vision of urgency, a feeling that I think comes naturally for any truly entrepreneurial person.

I've been in a slow moving company, and even though I reported to the CEO, no matter what I did to bring the outside in, to creae urgency, my group could not overcome the friction of a "non-urgent culture".

If you're the CEO, sell off the cash
Michael Roman
Quickly tired of this book. Kotter likes to quote his other books too much. The book also lacks practical advice. There is plenty of stories and plenty of "theory" ( though no facts) but little in between. I wouldn't recommend beyond reading the first chapter.
Lori
May 04, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to discuss as part of a team offsite. Quick and useful read; easily able to apply Kotter's four tactics to existing project management responsibilities. Team created visuals of each tactic to remind us to use them going forward.
Ale
Mar 13, 2016 Ale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, college
Mmmmmmmmmmm

No es que estuvo mal, pero he leído mejores libros de economía que sé recordaré y tendré en cuenta siempre... Es real y te da soluciones, es el análisis y recomendación de la organización actual en 200 páginas
Michael
OK book. Discusses difference between complacency, urgency and false urgency in the business world. Some good stories, but as with many business books, too much external consultant feel and too wordy
Lisa
Dec 16, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book with direct application to the work environment with very little of what I call touchy feely philosophizing. Many bookmarks on pages I need to copy and commit to memory.
Garland Vance
Mar 07, 2010 Garland Vance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders
John Kotter's "Leading Change" is an excellent read on creating change within an organization. A Sense of Urgency follows up on his seminal work by concentrating on the first necessity of change--creating a sense of urgency. I found the book motivational more than highly applicable. It is a good book worth listening to or perusing for quick insights.

The greatest insight I gained was: to create a sense of urgency we often need to look outside of our own organizations to see the problems we face.
Kirill
Jan 30, 2016 Kirill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather short yet could have been optimized by reducing the story-telling parts.
Kathy
May 09, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
Wish I would of read this book earlier, when I was still employed. Made sense.
Jeff
Jun 18, 2009 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-book-list
Kotter's book "Leading Change" is a much better read.

To create change you must create a sense of urgency.

This requires a heart-engaging experience that communicate emotionally compelling needs that not only stretch goals but excite and arouse determination.

The tactics used to bring about this senses of urgency is:
1. Bring outside reality into your group.
2. The leader behaves with a sense of true urgency every single day.
3. The leader looks for upsides in crises.
4. The leader confronts the
Ben Silver
Sep 02, 2015 Ben Silver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helps me to pause when needed. Focus on the priorities.
Keith
Mar 22, 2012 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Very new managers
Shelves: business
I rated the book a 3 and not a 4 because, while I agree with the underlying message, Kotter was unable to motivate me to do anything. One of his key points is that in order to lead people, you must have an equal (and perhaps greater) focus on the heart as opposed to the head. His writing style just didn't do that for me. Other points seemed a bit obvious to me, like identifying the people that can accelerate urgency vs. block it, and "bringing the outside in". In my experience, all that he says ...more
Jen
This book was tough for me to get through and finish, so it didn't create a sense of urgency in me. Kotter does a decent job of exploring the false sense of urgency that companies can get, or the sense of complacency and thinking that they are okay, don't need to change, in a good market position, etc. that both bad and good companies can experience, but it wasn't as attention-grabbing and compelling to me as Leading Change was.
Ana-Maria Bujor
It's a short book that tells about the ways companies put barriers when it comes to their own success, either by being complacent or by panicking too much. I liked the fact that it emphasizes the fact that crises can be opportunities and that panic/meetings/powerpoints with numbers =/= success. I also learned quite a few things myself, especially about my reactions to change and tendencies to firstly say "could we not?" before actually going for solutions. Short and accessible read.
Oscar Romero
Jul 28, 2015 Oscar Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really helped me to notice what it is that I really want to do with my time and where I spend most of my day. It places everything into a good perspective so that I can plan ahead--not just do. It is important to take control of the limited time we all have. It is good to see how much it is us--and how much is everything else. Interesting how it is we always think we can always put everything off for a later time.

Strongly recommend it to all ages.
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, and The Heart of Change. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a leadership organization that helps Global 5000 company leaders devel ...more
More about John P. Kotter...