Start by marking “Sleep Is for the Weak: The Best of the Mommybloggers Including Amalah, Finslippy, Fussy, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Mom-101, and More!” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Seeking advice and a sense of camaraderie, more than half a million readers per month turn to the mommyblogs featured in this collection, which brings together their best and brightest essays, ranging in style from snort-Diet-Coke-out-the-nose funny to poignant and bittersweet. Written to be read during the mind-bogglingly short breaks parents get during their busy days, t ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Is for the Weak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep Is for the Weak

The Blurb Radio Show
I got hold of this book because I am a fan of Alice Bradley's "Finslippy" book, and I guess I was looking for more of the hilarious, self effacing work of Alice and hopefully her friends.

Some of the other writings in this compilation made me laugh, a few were very poignant and others woke that sense of recognition in me as I read of their everyday grappling with how to be a good parent to their children.

So, while I could have done with more hilarity, I did enjoy the book and will be checking out
I am in this book, so you know you want to read it!
Andrienne
I enjoyed reading this book. I particularly liked the story about a little kid who had a propensity to hurt puppies (because the reaction of the mom is so classic!) with the mom constantly asking this little toddler what he felt like doing; trying to find a reason for his violent tendencies. This book was like a quick coffee chat on what's out there after all the cooing and cuddling are done and over with. Raising a child isn't a death sentence...that much I figured out, and getting into the min ...more
Kate
I read this book in those early weeks after bringing my second child home from the hospital. You know, those weeks. The ones where you are drowning in diapers and dirty onesies and don't believe you will ever sleep more than 2 hours in a stretch again. And if you choose to read anything during those weeks, this is the book to read. Full of funny, humorous stories about debacles and successes in parenting, it will make you laugh, probably make you cry, and definitely make you excited about the ne ...more
Lisa
(Non-Fiction, Motherhood) This book is a collection of blog snippets from mommybloggers. The snippets cover a range of motherhood topics like sleep, diapers, childless friends, never having enough time, etc...I enjoyed the collection and laughed at loud at some and resonated with others. All in all, these mommies inspire me to laugh, take care of myself, and go with the flow of the craziness that is parenthood.
Kristi
Aug 06, 2008 Kristi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mommyblogs
Recommended to Kristi by: Rita Arens
I KNOW this book will be incredible. How do I know, you ask?

Well, firstly, my friend Rita was the editor. How cool is that? My brush with greatness...and secondly, these are fabulous bloggers from all over the momosphere (or viceversa). Definitely a heart-breaking thrill-ride, spit-up included.

Not just for moms, either. Topics are wide-ranging and well-written, sometimes laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Lisa
Cute. Entertaining. Sometimes tear-inducing, sometimes guffaw-inducing. It's basically a compilation of entries from some uber-popular mommyblogs, so really, if you're already reading some good mommyblogs, you're already reading a lot of this stuff. What I want to know is how these women get their blogs noticed and create such huge followings.
Dawn K.
I'm a follower of many of the contributors, so upon having my little one I was excited to pick this up. Though I'd read some of the content before, it introduced me to posts I'd missed, and other amazing bloggers. Great to have around when you're short on time-the format works great for new moms.

This book was a wonderful read.
Joanne Bamberger
You know you WANT to read it! Trust me, you'll be glad you did! This book is the perfect read for any parent who finds herself of himself at their end of their rope after a long day and need a good laugh and some perspective. Read an essay a night in Sleep is for the Weak, and you know it will be better in the morning.
Mistelle
Very cute book, especially for mom's of young children but good for any mother. Has some language but it is a book of blogs from the internet so you get lots of different people. Helps new mom's feel like they aren't alone. Very good read.
Jill
Despite the fact that I don't have any kids, I really enjoyed reading this book of blogs by mommies & one daddy. I even laughed out loud at a few parts. Since it's composed of blogs, it would be easy reading even for a busy parent.
Rachel
I liked some entries better than others of course, but it's fun to hear others stories from the trenches. Some made me laugh, some made me tear up, and I skipped a bunch too. Kind of nice to be able to read in small snippets.
Emily
This book is for those times when you think you suck as a parent. Just pick it up, read one of the entries, and you'll feel better. Many of the blogs in this book are daily stops for me online.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2009 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, potential parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents
A fun and funny read. This one kept me laughing most of the way through. I would have loved if it were a bit longer. I’m looking forward to checking out the contributor’s blogs for more!
Miranda
It's no secret that I love blogs. This is just a complilation of some of the best ones. It's perfect because I don't have to search for them or read them from my computer screen.
katie
Not sure if I will be able to be objective because I love so many of the writers but I'm pretty sure I'm more in love with many now that I've read their chapters.
Natalie
Much more up my alley than the cupcake-covered mommy book I read recently. Funny folks just telling it like it is.
Sara*
HYSTERICAL. A must-read for expecting moms out there (a category I still cannot believe I find myself in, I must add).
Wealhtheow
Mar 29, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Julian
A collection of short essays about motherhood. Some are funnier than others, but none are total losers.
Martha
It wasn't the laugh I wanted it to be, some of the stories rang true (others, not so much).
Angela
A fun book for a mother of young kids to read when she can steal a few moments to herself!
flickrlovr
Jul 25, 2008 flickrlovr is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The essays, from some of the most-read "mommy blogs"--are fabulous. I can't put it down!
Angella
Many of my favorite bloggers, all in one book. What's not to like?
Christine
Really funny! A collections of stores from mommy-bloggers!
Kelli Oliver George
Shilling Notice:
I am also one of the contributors!
AJ Conroy
Uneven, but amusing, and a quick read.

Tracey
Shilling alert: I am a contributor to this book.
Meryl
Totally made me laugh out loud several times....
Alice
Have I no shame? No, apparently, I do not
Bree
This was a really quick book to read due to the fact that it was a book of blogs. It opened my eyes to some really funny relatable women to read online. The reason for 3 stars is because there were some that I didn't care for. This was a collection so it didn't always make me laugh or have the type of story that I could relate to. Many will be able to find a different reason to like/hate this book because of the different authors. I look forward to reading the new blogs I found from this book th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What would you like to discuss about THE OBVIOUS GAME? 1 2 Dec 31, 2012 01:24PM
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • It Gets Easier! And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Pioneer Doctor: The Story of a Woman's Work
  • Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms
  • The Motherhood Manifesto: What America's Moms Want - and What To Do About It
  • Lessons from the Mouse
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers
  • Bésame mucho
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book
  • The Mother Trip: Hip Mama's Guide to Staying Sane in the Chaos of Motherhood
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing
  • Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me
My debut young adult novel is The Obvious Game from InkSpell Publishing. The Obvious Game is available in paperback and ebook (all formats) online at Kobo, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, InkSpell Publishing and Indiebound. If you are a librarian and are having trouble finding my book, please write me at ritajarens@gmail.com to purchase the book at the 40% author discount price.

Together with Stacy M
More about Rita Arens...
The Obvious Game Roots: Where Food Comes From and Where It Takes Us: A BlogHer Anthology Simple Math The Dead Man Downstairs War (Poetry)