Start by marking “Sleep Is for the Weak: The Best of the Mommybloggers Including Amalah, Finslippy, Fussy, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Mom-101, and More!” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Seeking advice and a sense of camaraderie, more than half a million readers per month turn to the mommyblogs featured in this collection, which brings together their best and brightest essays, ranging in style from snort-Diet-Coke-out-the-nose funny to poignant and bittersweet. Written to be read during the mind-bogglingly short breaks parents get during their busy days, t ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Is for the Weak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep Is for the Weak

The Blurb Radio Show
I got hold of this book because I am a fan of Alice Bradley's "Finslippy" book, and I guess I was looking for more of the hilarious, self effacing work of Alice and hopefully her friends.

Some of the other writings in this compilation made me laugh, a few were very poignant and others woke that sense of recognition in me as I read of their everyday grappling with how to be a good parent to their children.

So, while I could have done with more hilarity, I did enjoy the book and will be checking out
Aug 03, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in this book, so you know you want to read it!
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
I wasn't exactly planning to read this book. I hadn't heard about it previously nor do I remember seeing it on any blogs. I was searching for some other book when this one showed up in the search results. The title sounded interesting and when I read the description, I was more than eager to read it. Who doesn't like to read essays? -- Especially, when they are about topics that you can relate to.

Now is probably a good time as any to talk about something I have been doing lately. No, this has no
Andrienne
Oct 26, 2011 Andrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I particularly liked the story about a little kid who had a propensity to hurt puppies (because the reaction of the mom is so classic!) with the mom constantly asking this little toddler what he felt like doing; trying to find a reason for his violent tendencies. This book was like a quick coffee chat on what's out there after all the cooing and cuddling are done and over with. Raising a child isn't a death sentence...that much I figured out, and getting into the min ...more
Kate
Jan 11, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in those early weeks after bringing my second child home from the hospital. You know, those weeks. The ones where you are drowning in diapers and dirty onesies and don't believe you will ever sleep more than 2 hours in a stretch again. And if you choose to read anything during those weeks, this is the book to read. Full of funny, humorous stories about debacles and successes in parenting, it will make you laugh, probably make you cry, and definitely make you excited about the ne ...more
Lisa
Dec 16, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
(Non-Fiction, Motherhood) This book is a collection of blog snippets from mommybloggers. The snippets cover a range of motherhood topics like sleep, diapers, childless friends, never having enough time, etc...I enjoyed the collection and laughed at loud at some and resonated with others. All in all, these mommies inspire me to laugh, take care of myself, and go with the flow of the craziness that is parenthood.
Kristi
Aug 06, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mommyblogs
Recommended to Kristi by: Rita Arens
I KNOW this book will be incredible. How do I know, you ask?

Well, firstly, my friend Rita was the editor. How cool is that? My brush with greatness...and secondly, these are fabulous bloggers from all over the momosphere (or viceversa). Definitely a heart-breaking thrill-ride, spit-up included.

Not just for moms, either. Topics are wide-ranging and well-written, sometimes laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Lisa
Apr 28, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Entertaining. Sometimes tear-inducing, sometimes guffaw-inducing. It's basically a compilation of entries from some uber-popular mommyblogs, so really, if you're already reading some good mommyblogs, you're already reading a lot of this stuff. What I want to know is how these women get their blogs noticed and create such huge followings.
Dawn K.
Jun 11, 2010 Dawn K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a follower of many of the contributors, so upon having my little one I was excited to pick this up. Though I'd read some of the content before, it introduced me to posts I'd missed, and other amazing bloggers. Great to have around when you're short on time-the format works great for new moms.

This book was a wonderful read.
Joanne Bamberger
You know you WANT to read it! Trust me, you'll be glad you did! This book is the perfect read for any parent who finds herself of himself at their end of their rope after a long day and need a good laugh and some perspective. Read an essay a night in Sleep is for the Weak, and you know it will be better in the morning.
Mistelle
May 11, 2009 Mistelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Very cute book, especially for mom's of young children but good for any mother. Has some language but it is a book of blogs from the internet so you get lots of different people. Helps new mom's feel like they aren't alone. Very good read.
Jill
May 29, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Despite the fact that I don't have any kids, I really enjoyed reading this book of blogs by mommies & one daddy. I even laughed out loud at a few parts. Since it's composed of blogs, it would be easy reading even for a busy parent.
Rachel
I liked some entries better than others of course, but it's fun to hear others stories from the trenches. Some made me laugh, some made me tear up, and I skipped a bunch too. Kind of nice to be able to read in small snippets.
Emily
Oct 26, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for those times when you think you suck as a parent. Just pick it up, read one of the entries, and you'll feel better. Many of the blogs in this book are daily stops for me online.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, potential parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents
A fun and funny read. This one kept me laughing most of the way through. I would have loved if it were a bit longer. I’m looking forward to checking out the contributor’s blogs for more!
Miranda
Jun 11, 2009 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love blogs. This is just a complilation of some of the best ones. It's perfect because I don't have to search for them or read them from my computer screen.
katie
Sep 19, 2008 katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if I will be able to be objective because I love so many of the writers but I'm pretty sure I'm more in love with many now that I've read their chapters.
Natalie
Sep 10, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more up my alley than the cupcake-covered mommy book I read recently. Funny folks just telling it like it is.
Sara*
Feb 02, 2010 Sara* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenthood
HYSTERICAL. A must-read for expecting moms out there (a category I still cannot believe I find myself in, I must add).
Wealhtheow
Mar 29, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Julian
A collection of short essays about motherhood. Some are funnier than others, but none are total losers.
Martha
Jan 21, 2010 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't the laugh I wanted it to be, some of the stories rang true (others, not so much).
Angela
Mar 07, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book for a mother of young kids to read when she can steal a few moments to herself!
flickrlovr
Jul 25, 2008 flickrlovr is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The essays, from some of the most-read "mommy blogs"--are fabulous. I can't put it down!
Angella
Feb 15, 2009 Angella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of my favorite bloggers, all in one book. What's not to like?
Christine
Nov 05, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Really funny! A collections of stores from mommy-bloggers!
Kelli Oliver George
Shilling Notice:
I am also one of the contributors!
AJ Conroy
Uneven, but amusing, and a quick read.

Tracey
Sep 19, 2008 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shilling alert: I am a contributor to this book.
Meryl
Oct 22, 2008 Meryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally made me laugh out loud several times....
Alice
Aug 17, 2008 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have I no shame? No, apparently, I do not
What would you like to discuss about THE OBVIOUS GAME? 1 2 Dec 31, 2012 01:24PM
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • It Gets Easier! And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers
  • Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • Itty-Bitty Nursery: Sweet, Adorable Knits for the Baby and Beyond
  • Lessons from the Mouse
  • I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids: Reinventing Modern Motherhood
  • The Motherhood Manifesto: What America's Moms Want - and What To Do About It
  • Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation
  • Pioneer Doctor: The Story of a Woman's Work
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant
  • Pregnancy Day By Day
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book
  • Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me
My debut young adult novel is The Obvious Game from InkSpell Publishing. The Obvious Game is available in paperback and ebook (all formats) online at Kobo, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, InkSpell Publishing and Indiebound and is a 2016 Library Journal Self-e Selection.

Together with Stacy Morrison and Julie Ross Godar, I edited ROOTS (Open Road, 2013). My work has appeared in BlogHer Voices of the
More about Rita Arens...