Gölge Avı (Lucas Davenport, #2)

Gölge Avı (Lucas Davenport #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  10,513 ratings  ·  323 reviews
Peş peşe işlenen cinayetler...

Kurbanların gırtlakları bir Kızılderili tören bıçağıyla boydan boya kesilmişti. Bütün ipuçları, Minnesota Kızılderili toplumunda Shadow Love olarak bilinen caniyi akla getiriyordu.

Öldürme ihtiyacı, serbest kaldığında frenlenemeyen. Shadow Love, çok geçmeden Lucas Davenport ile sevdiği kadının peşine düşer.

Teğmen Lucas Davenport ve sevgilisi...more
500 pages
Published March 2008 by Doğan Kitap (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Gölge Avı, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gölge Avı

Kemper
Two aging radical Sioux named Sam and Aaron Crow have planned a murderous terror campaign in which they’ve sent their followers to several locations across the country to kill various government officials and other people they consider enemies of Native Americans. When throats start getting cut from Minnesota to New York, Lucas Davenport and the other Minneapolis cops find themselves in the middle of a national crisis.

While John Sandford greatly expanded the scale from the first book to the seco...more
Luan

I've read this book before. In fact, I've read many of the books in this series and I don't remember them being quite so...so...misogynistic. There, I said it. At first while I was listening to this I was appalled thinking, "and I wrote that I was really liking this series. I told people Sandford was writing a police procedural book that was fun too." Yikes.

This second book reads like a primer for how to have an affair.

Our hero, Lucas Davenport, feels a little bad about his behavior, but as he...more
Steven
The debut book in John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series, Rules of Prey, was expertly done but still really just a high grade Thomas Harris knockoff with all the expected trimmings: ingeniously loopy serial killer, obsessed and messed-up detective hero, twisty plot full of investigative arcana. The follow-up, Shadow Prey, was something entirely different. Sandford, a former newspaper reporter, used his knowledge of the Indian population in and around Minneapolis to create a villain (or villains)...more
Michãel
I was disappointed with this one because I loved the first one. In this one, the author gives more description of the main character, Davenport, which totally conflicted with the image I had built of him. Plus Davenport wasn't as suave in this novel-- he cursed way more than I remembered from the first one and he spent half the book trying to get another character into bed (there was much philandering in the first one but it was more like women just fell in with him-- not that he connived it). I...more
Mappi
Overall - 4/5 : Gripping

Plot - 4/5 : A web of characters. 2 Indian cousins, who cal themselves The Crows, along with their assosiates goes out to kill famous and politically important persons, to take revenge on the cruelty done to their community and at the sametime, their own blood Shadow Love has something else in mind. Lucas has to track down these Crows as well as tackle the malevolent Shadow Love.

Writting - 4/5 : Finely woven

Hero - 4/5 : Lucas Davenport. Moving strong

Villan - 3/5 : The Cro...more
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
"With a single powerful slash, Leo cut Ray Cuervo's throat from ear to ear."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! And that's only Chapter One!

It doesn't stop! Relentless fast action from the first page to the last, yet enough personal exposition to get an understanding of the characters, perfect mixing of private home life with the investigation, the pacing is so good it's unnoticeable, emotional temperature is spot on, graphic sex, affairs, violence, shooting, explosions!

Lucas Davenport begins his second in th...more
Rebekkila
In the forward to this book the author wrote that this is nothing like the first draft of the book. His first draft was a political commentary and his editor asked for a re-write and he changed it to a thriller. The book was about Native Americans getting revenge on public officials who had treated them unjustly. Usually when I read thrillers I find it so easy to root against the bad guys but in this one that was not the case. The Crows, The family that was out for revenge, recruits some friend...more
Nicole Green
I thought that this book was another great installment of the Lucas Davenport series, and yet, I felt that it was also lacking. Shadow Prey felt really disjointed from the amazing novel Rules of Prey was. I think this is because John Sandford intended it to be a stand-alone novel as a political commentary on the treatment of Native Americans in Minnesota. It was only turned into a Lucas Davenport novel when his editor told him to make a thriller with a side plot of political commentary.

I believe...more
Derek
The second book in the Lucas Davenport series is a little bit of a letdown from the first book, RULES OF PREY. This is not to say it isn't a good book, because it is. Unfortunately, its just not as good as RULES OF PREY was.

Most of the blame falls on the romantic subplot, which just isn't very compelling, and relies heavily on Davenport's apparent ability to have every woman in the world fall in love with him. It's just not all that convincing, and I found it distracting.

The A-plot of the book...more
Alberto
Interesting and well constructed police procedural. It's the first book I read about the detective and role game creator Lucas Davenport. I didn't know the character until now.
I liked the setting, Minneapolis, which is different from your common urban scenarios, and the idea for the plot: a bunch of American Indians turned terrorists killing some politicians and public figures. The only complaint is although the Indian guys and female characters are well developed, most of the male supporting c...more
Patricia
I've finished book 2 of the Prey series...and I'm so tickled that there are a LOT more for me to read. I'm learning that these books are not for the faint of heart, sometimes the violence and language are pretty rough, but written in such a way that I'm riveted to the page (or I guess I should say to the screen of my Kindle!) I'm immediately headed into Book 3 - Eyes of Prey.
Donna
I liked this one for the most part. The main character, Lucas Davenport, progressed as a main character. That is always greatly appreciated in a series, since the main character is usually stagnant....continually stuck in the same ol' some ol'. The new character introductions were done well.

I did NOT like his love interest, Jennifer. In book one, she announces that she purposely got pregnant by him without letting him know. So now in book two, she refuses to marry him and lets him know she is go...more
David
Caveat--

I did not complete this novel. It may have improved after the first 90 pages, but I couldn't wade through it.

I read the first of the Prey novels sometime back and remember liking the lead character...

Here are some reasons why I did not like what I was reading:

1) With very few exceptions I don't like novels which switch back and forth between villain and good guy. I want to know pretty much what the detective knows.. with few exceptions. The Columbo mystery television series worked beca...more
Lee Kyle
Feb 02, 2012 Lee Kyle rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one sorry!
Recommended to Lee by: Goodreads.com
Ok after reading the first book in Sandford's Lucas Davenport 'Prey' series 'Rules Of The Prey" I was actually loooking forward to reading the next instalment. However when starting this book, i read the opening segment and found out Sandofrd has actually meant for this book to be a political statement on the treatment on North American indians. That alone should've sent up enough red flags in my mind not to continue. I started reading on anyhow, willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the b...more
Michelle
This is the second in the Lucas Davenport series. He's searching a killer who uses a knife to cut the throat of people in high places. It ends up involving the Indian community that he doesn't have many contacts with. Pretty gruesome. He is still trying to maintain his relationship with Jennifer and their daughter but continues to play the field. He loves women and he loves sex but he also likes to hang out with them and form a relationship rather than one nighters. Lucas really gets beat up in...more
Charles
This is the first Sandford book I've read. It was quick paced and held my interest. It's a straightforward thriller with no supernatural elements. The main character is a police detective named Lucas Davenport. I didn't much like him at the beginning but he grew on me over the book. I still don't find him all that much of a hero I could root for, but he's probably pretty realistic. I'd say 3 and 1/2 stars.
Connie
I loved this book. It was very fast paced and everything made sense from beginning to end. There was not much talk about Lucas and his game playing in this one because there was so much going on with the Indians in this story.

This book didn't really go over the past book at all. It assumed you remembered what happened in the first one so didn't spend half the book telling you the past. I like that about this book. It had a story and it was told in chronological order.

I would class this one in...more
Ed
#2 of the Lucas Davenport has Minneapolis cop Davenport investigating a series of very public murders by Indians. Enthralling.

Lucas Davenport series - When an Indian-gouging slumlord and an Indian-hating parole officer turn up dead from the same M.O.,Minneapolis police figure it's more than coincidental. Soon after, when a New York City welfare commissioner is similarly offed, they know something big's going down. Thanks to Lucas Davenport, a killer is nailed, but not before Davenport is briefly...more
Gareth Otton
Shadow Prey was something of a disappointment after the superior opening novel in this series.

In Shadow Prey, Lucas Davenport returns in order to catch an Indian killer who is on a mission of revenge against one of the most important people in the country. To help him on his case is a female cop who has been brought in from New York.

From the start this one is instantly less of an accomplished novel than its predecessor. It is considerably slower with far less interesting characters and for a l...more
Cathy
3.5 stars. A bit of a disappointment from "Rules of Prey", the first book in Sandford's "Prey" series, but very good nonetheless. Lots of high profile murders done in a ritualistic way for revenge. Specific white men who had some level of power, who had either in the past or present taken advantage of, in both small and large ways, American Indians. The main/final target was a man who started out in a southwest police department and works his way up to head of the FBI. His crimes - rape of India...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the Lucas Davenport thriller series set in Minneapolis and revolving around Lucas Davenport.

My Take
This one is so disgusting. It makes me so angry that cops would abuse their power like this. It’s bad enough that any man would do this to a young girl, but for cops…it’s just worse…arghhhh! Even more infuriating, if that is at all possible, is that the police dispatcher announces the location of victims for other cops to abuse. There are no words for how angry this makes me.

It’s almost...more
Dawn
Got a little side tracked in finishing this book...but had some time this past week to wrap it up and I'm glad I did. I really enjoy the main character Lucas in these series and I really enjoy the way Sandford writes. He breaks down the scenes perfectly as they are unfolding from each characters point of view as if I were watching it on TV. I'm really turning into the "mystery/suspense" kind of reader....I'm a junkie for that "what's going to happen next" scenario.
Caroline
Another good beach read. I love how male writers make their fictional selfs so virle and manly and irresitible to women. (I.E. Stone Barrington/Alex Delware, etc). Lucas might of gone around waving his penis around - it would of been more believable. It goes in the same vein that woman writers make their female fictional selves that much more witty and urbane. Anyways, I'd read some more of the books on a cold winter day but I would never buy one of them.
Larry
My initial impression of this book was to give it three stars and find a better series. While Sanford’s characters are interesting, Detective Davenport didn’t seem “real” enough. Clever, yes – but a little too slick. He’s a “player” and I didn’t like his affair. He’s kind of a slim bag. I don’t like him – and he’s the book’s “hero”! (I can’t figure out why I like Tony Soprano and not him.)

Also, I can’t believe that a “real” cop would have so much autonomy within a police department. Further, the...more
Matt Crumpton
Better than Rules of Prey the first book in the series. Still not a real fan of the character of Lucas Davenport. He seems like a horny SOB who only thinks of himself. Really no redeeming qualities about him. The story was interesting enough. I am going to give the next book in the series a try. I am not ready to give up on him yet.
Tim
My only complaint about the Lucas Davenport character is how easily he is trusted as a cop, despite his shady dealings with his informants. The second half of this is much better than the first. Some of the victims get what they deserve. 7 of 10 stars
Paul
This WAS going to be a two-star review, and then I hit the end. Wow. What an awful book. This is the 2nd in a series, and the first was terrific. This is dreadful on so many levels. So what happened?

Let's get the first thing out of the way: Sandford made the main character, Lucas Davenport, deplorable....at least to me. I read another reviewer describe him as "misogynistic". Not true. In fact, he loves women a bit TOO much and falls for whoever he is with at the time. He's had affairs in both bo...more
Richard
The bulk of this detective story set in Minnesota is gritty and believable. It is 1990, before cell phones and the Internet. Lucas Davenport is a detective for the Minneapolis Police Department, working in the Intelligence Department. The foe is a group of American Indians from the Sioux tribe who are on a mission. The love interest is a New York City detective who travels to Minnesota to help solve a murder that took place in New York City. The pace is fast and the language and description is s...more
Jenny
Good story about our cop Lucas Davenport. I'm listening to it. Story about Indians who kill bad white men. Not much suspense, but I'm guessing his current skirt he is chasing (besides the mother of his daughter) will get caught up in some violent confrontation with the bad Indians. In fact, now that I think about it, the story is weak, compared to the previous one.

Finished this 8-6-14. Story about the Indian "bad guys" activists/extremists was interesting. Lots and lots of time spent on Davenpor...more
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Ritual killings
By Native Americans.
Task force can't keep up.

Lucas loves women.
He can't settle for just one.
Why do I like him?
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page count: ISBN 9780425208847 2 21 Nov 20, 2013 09:55PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix a few issues 3 25 Mar 21, 2012 12:32PM
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10)
  • Pursuit
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in th...more
More about John Sandford...
Rules Of Prey  (Lucas Davenport #1) Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5) Buried Prey (Lucas Davenport, #21) Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12) Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers, #4)