Start by marking “Bring on the Birds” as Want to Read:
Bring on the Birds

Bring on the Birds

Rhyming text and illustrations provide an introduction to exotic and familiar birds.
Published February 1st 2011 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Bring on the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring on the Birds

gina
Jul 13, 2016 gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-book
I'm going to check this right back in and send it back to the owning library without taking it home. I'm a little sad about that. But the book doesn't have the official name of all the birds. I know a more of these than the fish book "Fabulous Fishes" by the same author. My son is 2 1/2. He's exceptionally interested in the actual names of things. Giving him a generic answer won't do. I don't know the names of many of the birds and short of putting a sticky note on the page so I know the name of ...more
Emmaus Public  Library
Jul 29, 2014 Emmaus Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This bright, vibrant book shares birds from all over the world. With a bit in the back to identify each and every one. This is an easy and excellent resource for storytelling.
Alyson Long
Oct 16, 2015 Alyson Long rated it really liked it
Bring on the Birds written and illustrated by Susan Stockdale (Baker’s Dozen)

Plot Summary: “Bring on the Birds” is a children’s informational picture book that lists many types of birds. Each page consists of one type of bird and either a verb to describe what this type of bird does, or an adjective to describe what it looks like. The words and illustrations are all done by the same person, Susan Stockdale. She captures the essence of many birds that are well known and some that are not, and eve
David
Jan 14, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Bring On the Birds by Susan Stockdale introduces young ornithologists to both exotic and familiar birds from around the world.

In rhyming text, Stockdale looks at a wide variety of birds. They include a Great Horned Owl, Whooping Crane, Great Frigatebird, Blue-footed Booby, Atlantic Puffin, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, Blue Bird-of-Paradise, White-tailed Ptarmigan, Kell-billed Toucan, Broad-tailed Hummingvird, Ruffled Grouse, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Black Skimmer, Adelie Penguin, Greater Roadrunner,
Brooke Snyder
Oct 01, 2014 Brooke Snyder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baker-s-dozen
Summary: This is a simple, easy to read text that gets right to the point. In context, birds are all unique and different in their own way. The author uses a simple, rhyming text to show the differences between birds in a fun way. This book shows children that birds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and also do amazing things! Children will get a look at birds that they are familiar with as well as exotic (new) birds that they never saw before.

Personal Response/Critical Response: This would
Derek Slagle
Oct 19, 2014 Derek Slagle rated it really liked it
Bring on the birds is a nonfiction book about birds. This book uses rhyming and vibrant colors to introduce familiar and exotic birds to children. This book shows children that birds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.
This book would be good to use in a kindergarten classroom when introducing a section on birds. This book could lead to many other different fiction and nonfiction books about birds. After reading this story to my class, I would compare and contrast the birds in the story. It w
Tasha
Jun 09, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
This is a bright and bold picture book about birds. Written in simple, rhyming text, the book is a celebration of the diversity of birds around the world. It shows birds of different sizes, colors and habitats. Some are active, others sitting, and still others hang upside down. There is a section at the end of the book that has more information on each bird as well as a list of nonfiction titles about birds for children to explore.

The text here is so simple that it glides past. The rhythm and r
Jordan Brown
Feb 10, 2014 Jordan Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-etl-2368
Bring On the Birds
Author and Illustrator: Susan Stockdale
Reading Level: Ages 5-8

Stockdale, Susan (2011) Bring on the Birds Atlanta: Peachtree publishers

Bring On the Birds is a poetic, rhyming book at its core. It describes the actions, nature, and/or physical attributes of various species of birds. At the end of the book, the last few pages are dedicated to explaining their similarities. For example: They all have feathers. The back of the book also has a detailed list of the species that are me
Jane
Sep 26, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jane by: A professor -- required reading for a class.
This book is perfect for a young child interested in animals and nature. Between the bright and detailed illustrations and the melodic rhyming scheme, this book should keep a child's interest for a long time.

The text is simple enough for children and any unclear words are illustrated clearly in the text (e.g. "swooping birds" is complimented with a swooping owl). The flow of the words is very natural. The words can almost be sung as easily as they can be read.

Susan Stockdale's interest in scien
Krista
Sep 12, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
"Bring on the Birds" by Susan Stockdale is an amazing candidate for the 2012 Caldecott Award. I chose to read this book because the cover alone really caught my attention. I think the amazing illustrations really would compete well for this award. The book is extremely catchy and the rhyming adds a more "wow" factor to the overall read. I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations and found them extremely colorful, bright, and appealing. This book not only would appeal to younger aged students ...more
Jess Farabaugh
Bring On the Birds by Susan Stockdale is a beautiful, bright non-fiction picture book about birds appropriate for ages 2 -4. This book celebrates, in simple rhyming words, all the different types around the world. It shows the many environments each bird lives in, how they live and what they look like. Included at the end of the book is a section that includes more information on each bird as well as other non-fictions titles for children to expand and explore. This book is great to use as an in ...more
Candice
Jul 04, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie, Asher
Shelves: picture-books
A few weeks ago, a catalog from "Peachtree Publishers came across my desk. I was enticed to read several of the picture books from this publisher and so far this is my favorite. It is a glorious introduction to birds of the world. Even the very young will be engaged by the colorful illustrations and the rhyming text that celebrates, "Swooping birds, whooping birds, birds with puffy chests..." and so many more. At the end of the book is a page that lists all the birds in the book, some of their h ...more
Ken Martin
Nov 04, 2014 Ken Martin rated it really liked it
This nonfiction book Bring On the Birds was very informational and colorful. The colors in this book are going to grab the attention of readers very easily. The information in this book is really great it explains so much about so many different birds. I think that some students will relate to some of the birds and understand them. This book could be used to help teach students about writing in a descriptive way. This book describes so much in so much detail it really paints a great picture. Bri ...more
Heather
Sep 26, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Fabulous rhyme and gorgeous illustrations work together well in this book. The simple rhymes and the bright pictures would make this an excellent addition to story time - particularly a bird-themed story time. Young bird enthusiasts should also enjoy this on their own, and will appreciate the short descriptions of each illustrated bird in the back matter. Ms. Stockdale has selected both familiar and unique birds, so young researchers may find themselves wishing to learn more about some of the bi ...more
Karen
Feb 22, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old son picked out this book from our library this week.

I didn't expect much from this book; the title doesn't exactly "sing", but it is so worth a read.

The text is simple and not really anything special, which makes it perfect. This book is (almost) all about the illustrations. And the illustrations are spectacular. The illustration are vibrant. The illustrations are phenomenal. The illustrations "sing".

Bridget R. Wilson
What I thought: I think I’ve found another author/illustrator that I like as much as Cathryn & John Sill. The simple text and colorful illustration combine to entertain and educate children about birds. The afterward provides just enough information to whet the kids’ appetites for more bird books. It was hard to pick a favorite illustration, but I really like the fluffy crests.

Story Time Themes: Birds
Barbara
May 23, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Birds of every size, shape, and hue are celebrated in rhyming text and brightly-colored illustrations. The book is fun to read aloud and examine for the many different types of birds that are highlighted. It made me want to look at it again and again and stop to think about the birds in the pictures. Backmatter includes an afterword that gives additional information about each bird and its habitat.
Maggie
Jul 09, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
2012 ALA Notable Book

Perfect for story times with littles. The rhyme and pacing in this book are done exceptionally well, boiling down the big idea of lots of different types of birds into simple comparisons with beautiful, colorful illustrations. The back has a photo glossary of the birds depicted as well as further reading to learn more about birds.
Mymcbooks
Aug 09, 2011 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing
What a great way to introduce readers to the exotic and familiar birds in s simple rhyming text, with vibrant and exciting colors. Towards the end of the story, Susan Stockdale gives an educational background and descriptive text of the different type of birds she listed in her book. A must have for classroom teaching.
Sarah Mckelvy
Jun 25, 2015 Sarah Mckelvy rated it liked it
Pros: The book shows the wide variety of birds; it flowed nicely. At the end of the book, it states that, "All of them have feathers, and are all hatched from eggs."

Cons: Even though the illustrations were colorful, I think Susan Stockdale should have focused on more detail with the drawings to show the magnificence of birds.
Jill
Nov 18, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
This non-fiction bird book would make a nice complement to picture books for a storytime theme of birds. The text isn't overly complicated and the book covers many different kinds of birds from owls to penguins.
Elaine Bearden
Nov 28, 2011 Elaine Bearden rated it really liked it
preS-gr2/3
Cut paper illustrates this rhymed book about all different kinds of birds. At the end, more detail is next to thumb nails of the original pages. Good for storytime. Could use it with Nothing Like a Puffin, though I just did that one for feet....:)
Leah
Jul 17, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
Lilting rhyme, colourful illustrations, lots of new birds to learn about and some ones that children will already know. This book invites the audience to tell you the name of the birds. Will try in storytime.
Janet
Feb 11, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Since I am a bird watcher I was prepared to like this title more than I did. It does convey very very basic facts about the birds pictured. The illustration does not do justice to the colors of this bird.
Molly
Jan 10, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It was alright. This might be better for a parent reading to their kids, instead of a large group. The flow gets interrupted by explaining what a blue-footed booby is, and then getting over the shrieks of laughter.
Caroline
Apr 08, 2015 Caroline rated it it was ok
An introduction to all the different kinds of things that birds do.

Easy to read to a group: brief text that always is in the same spot on the page and nice pictures.
Jessie
Mar 11, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-children-s
Great pictures and simple rhyming text make this a great story time book. The book also has an afterwards that gives more info about each bird. Birds, the letter B, non-fiction, rhyming text.
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
my kids loved this one. we just had the board version - but i imagine the real one is even better. simple in many ways - but perfect.
Paula
Jul 05, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Birds come in all sorts of interesting shapes, sizes, and colors, and many of them can do amazing things.
Robin
Great book for preschool and even toddler storytime -- short rhyming text, and big, bright bold colored pictures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • What Animals Really Like
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
Susan Stockdale has written and illustrated a number of children's picture books including Spectacular Spots, Stripes of All Types, Bring On the Birds, and Fabulous Fishes. Her books celebrate nature with whimsical charm and have won awards from the American Library Association, Parents' Choice, the National Science Teachers Association, Children's Cooperative Book Center, and Bank Street College ...more
More about Susan Stockdale...