Start by marking “METAtropolis Free Story: 'In the Forests of the Night'” as Want to Read:
METAtropolis Free Story: 'In the Forests of the Night'

METAtropolis Free Story: 'In the Forests of the Night'

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“In the Forests of the Night” is from the Hugo and Audie Award-nominated METAtropolis, an intelligent and stunning creation of five cutting-edge science-fiction writers, performed by an amazing cast of elite narrators and stars from TV’s Battlestar Galactica. METAtropolis takes place in a future where cities have transformed or died, and technologists, eco-survivalists, an ...more
Audiobook
Published 2008 by Audible, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about METAtropolis Free Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about METAtropolis Free Story

Alysia
The synopsis of this book sounded like the perfect audiobook for me. I was hooked on the variety of authors, the concept of all of them writing a whole new whole and that there was a cast narrating it. This is good for finding new writers and new readers. Nothing but a win win situation right? Well it was...kinda.
The five authors all centered their work around a new dystopian future set in the Detroit area. I think the best way to tell you about this audiobook is to break it down one by one.

In
Mel
The series kind of reminds you of a cross between Daemon and Ayn Rand novels. Very lightly on Ayn Rand novels because this in no way compares to her philosophy and insight but it does kind of point to the looters and how government is bringing about an end to the person. The tech reminds me of Daemon but you have to read the complete series of METAtroplis to see it come together. I will warn you that the first short story with Tiger Tiger, not a typo, will throw you off. But pull forward and kee ...more
S.N. McKibben
The story did not reveal to me the purpose of its point though I know it had one. While I grope for its message, it alludes me. I might not be getting the whole story because of the complexity of the language and thought process of the author. I might have to listen to it again but in reality it is a story that must be read and not listened to. It's concepts aren't that difficult to understand but the wording is too precise, too lofty to be taken lightly. In other words, it reads like a medical ...more
Chelsea Jennings
I read this in the short story book METAtropolis. I loved this story. Lake's imagery is beautiful. I want to live in his lovely green-anarchist city of Cascadiopolis. I loved the questions raised regarding politics, capitalism, and human nature. There are so many subtle revelations made in this wonderful story, so subtle that many may overlook them. There are undertones of eastern thought and reincarnation. In a nutshell, a very artfully written story. This story is full of tough words and techn ...more
Dawn Tutt
Once I restarted this audible after doing a bit more research on what the story was actually about it was easier to understand and half way into the listen I found myself very interested.
I am always intrigued by these type of stories that talk about what the future will be when what ever apocalyptic changes our world, so I wish in this section they had spent more time describing in more detail the way life was.
I am not an uneducated person but the technical and political talk in this book really
Just A. Bean
Prose was slightly over-wrought in a sort of Noir style, but it match up with the narration well, and the voice acting was excellent.

As far as the story, I felt the characters were well-drawn, and the world building excellent. Lake tended to throw the word "Quantum" around like a smoke bomb, but one assumes the future tech makes sense if you know more science? (Or possibly not).

The plot had a dreadful inevitability too it, so you could see who would end up on what side and why from the start, bu
Tim Jin
I was expecting more science fiction stories base on the title, METAtropolis, but it's more like 5 random stories of a future city in San Francisco. I just didn't understand where Jay Lake and his collaborators were going to with their different stories. It just lost my interest quickly. It was a waste of time of reading something else.

Thanks Audible for the freebie, but I understand why Christmas came in July (promotion) this year. Unless they have another promotion for this title, I would ski
Steve Jennings
This compendium of short stories was good. Although, I didn't think that I was going to complete the book because I just couldn't get through the first story! But somehow slogged through the confusing mine of seemingly unrelated characters and storylines. Still not sure what happened in the end or why?! However, the remaining stories were very entertaining and engaging. While they showed glimmers of hope the outlook for the humans on earth in total was pretty bleak.
George
This book was quick and easy. It contains some concepts that are pretty out there, but not sci-fi. For example, it assumes a city somewhere in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, that is camouflaged into a mountain. The plot relates to the searching out and destruction of that city by tied and true methods.
Steven Zachary
It was entertaining enough, however this is one of those books that leaves you wondering if you just didn't "get it" or if it as indeed thar snobish. It was well written and easy to follow along but anticlimactic and essentially a let down when I had expected more from what seemed to be coming.
Floyd
As groundbreaking and exciting a world as Gibson's Neuromancer. The stories vary in tone and scope but all are interesting, entertaining, and engaging.
M Griffin
Generally I like Jay's writing, and on a sentence-by-sentence level this is good, but on a story level this was never engaging.
Leslie
This and the others in the MEAtropolis series are a cracking read/listen.
Waltor
wow, I want Col Tigh to read me bedtime stories every night.
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Booktaker
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)
  • Rip-Off!
  • The Two
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • The Story of You
  • Category Five: The Hurricane-Force Novel
  • Dimension of Miracles (Dimension of Miracles #1)
  • Silent Dances (Starbridge, #2)
  • Prairie Moon
Died June 1, 2014.

Jay Lake lived in Portland, Oregon, where he worked on multiple writing and editing projects. His 2007 book Mainspring received a starred review in Booklist. His short fiction appeared regularly in literary and genre markets worldwide. Jay won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, and was a multiple nominee for the Hugo and World Fantasy Awards.
More about Jay Lake...
Mainspring (Clockwork Earth #1) Green (Green Universe #1) METAtropolis: Cascadia Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2) Endurance (Green Universe, #2)