Start by marking “The Silence” as Want to Read:
The Silence

The Silence

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Aprovocative graphic novel about the nature of art, told through the eyes of Choosy McBride, gallery manager and curator, and her artist partner, Dmitri
When Choosy McBride discovers an extraordinary artwork she is determined to track down the unknown artist. With her partner Dmitri, an artist wrestling with his own creative demons, she follows the trail to an exhibition at
Published April 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence

Sara
Jun 06, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Silence' is a quick, engaging read about a couple who visit a remote coastal town. Choosey, the lady, is a capitalistic art-dealer visiting an aging artist. Her partner, Dmitri, is a jaded, cynical artist himself, who has come to a point where he questions the purpose of creating anything at all. The book is peppered with Mutard's ruminations on the nature of art and its place in the modern world, masquerading as conversations between the few principle characters.

What makes this book better
Belinda
Nov 21, 2015 Belinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What is this thing called art? Is it handprints on a cave wall in Chauvet, Picasso's doodles on a napkin, or a graphic novel called The Silence? I don't know, but sometimes it speaks to you, sometimes it doesn't. I didn't get this GN at all so it obviously didn't speak to me.

Sure, it's fine to have a couple of people in a relationship squabbling about art is precious and should be paid for and accumulate in value vs art is ethics and core values vs some old guy arguing that it's simply decoratio
Tate Ryan
Jan 11, 2014 Tate Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sadly I couldn't finish this book. I had no interest in the art philosophising and the the story didn't have enough elements in it to keep me interested. 2 stars for the art which i appreciate the very detailed and defined effort that went into it however even so the art came across as a little lifeless which matched the blandness of the story. I hope this Australian artist can produce something more engaging next time.
Mitch Cave
Sep 06, 2015 Mitch Cave rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely despised this book. The art was great, everything else was not. I've never read something so pretentious in my life.
Phoebe Macdonald
Apr 05, 2014 Phoebe Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Powerful without being even remotely overbearing. A song that should sing true to artists of any medium.
Sven McNiven
I finished this a while ago and was too busy to write a review. Trying to remember it now, there certainly weren't too many memorable moments. It's a graphic novel and some of the art work is underwhelming. The plot is convoluted and doesn't really make much sense. The main couple are extremely unlikeable, bickering and arguing much of the time. Maybe the title refers to peoples' reaction when they realise they've spent $20 on this.
Andrew
Oct 21, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
The amount that is conveyed through the body language of the characters in this is amazing. I have no idea what happens in the end though - I found myself reaching for 'magic realism' to explain what might have happened. Does Choosy's desire to make money from art literally blind her from seeing the art?
Dave Riley
May 16, 2012 Dave Riley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Mesmerizing story telling undermined by some wanky discourse on the meaning of art. Pitch perfect graphics nonetheless packaged within a dramatic cadence that draws you into time, place and character.

It did leave an impression that is sure to last and I'm out hunting more from Mutard.
K
I read the new edition published by Allen and Unwin, so it may be slightly different to the above.

It was okay. Quick and entertaining-ish.

Deborah Ideiosepius
Liked it; it was a good concept with a well developed plot and a satisfying ending. The artwork was appropriate for the story.
Malia
Malia rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Jaxy Jersey
Jaxy Jersey marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Paul Hebert
Paul Hebert rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Brooke Van der linden
Brooke Van der linden marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Raul
Raul added it
Nov 09, 2015
Anna Belle
Anna Belle rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Briar Rose
Briar Rose rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2015
Arctic Firefox
Arctic Firefox rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Mitch Cave
Mitch Cave marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Tanja
Tanja added it
Aug 24, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Michal Huniewicz
Michal Huniewicz rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Charmaine Connan
Charmaine Connan rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014