Start by marking “The Silence” as Want to Read:
The Silence

The Silence

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Aprovocative graphic novel about the nature of art, told through the eyes of Choosy McBride, gallery manager and curator, and her artist partner, Dmitri
When Choosy McBride discovers an extraordinary artwork she is determined to track down the unknown artist. With her partner Dmitri, an artist wrestling with his own creative demons, she follows the trail to an exhibition at
Published April 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence

'The Silence' is a quick, engaging read about a couple who visit a remote coastal town. Choosey, the lady, is a capitalistic art-dealer visiting an aging artist. Her partner, Dmitri, is a jaded, cynical artist himself, who has come to a point where he questions the purpose of creating anything at all. The book is peppered with Mutard's ruminations on the nature of art and its place in the modern world, masquerading as conversations between the few principle characters.

What makes this book better
What is this thing called art? Is it handprints on a cave wall in Chauvet, Picasso's doodles on a napkin, or a graphic novel called The Silence? I don't know, but sometimes it speaks to you, sometimes it doesn't. I didn't get this GN at all so it obviously didn't speak to me.

Sure, it's fine to have a couple of people in a relationship squabbling about art is precious and should be paid for and accumulate in value vs art is ethics and core values vs some old guy arguing that it's simply decoratio
Tate Ryan
Sadly I couldn't finish this book. I had no interest in the art philosophising and the the story didn't have enough elements in it to keep me interested. 2 stars for the art which i appreciate the very detailed and defined effort that went into it however even so the art came across as a little lifeless which matched the blandness of the story. I hope this Australian artist can produce something more engaging next time.
Mitch Cave
Absolutely despised this book. The art was great, everything else was not. I've never read something so pretentious in my life.
Phoebe Macdonald
Powerful without being even remotely overbearing. A song that should sing true to artists of any medium.
Sven McNiven
I finished this a while ago and was too busy to write a review. Trying to remember it now, there certainly weren't too many memorable moments. It's a graphic novel and some of the art work is underwhelming. The plot is convoluted and doesn't really make much sense. The main couple are extremely unlikeable, bickering and arguing much of the time. Maybe the title refers to peoples' reaction when they realise they've spent $20 on this.
The amount that is conveyed through the body language of the characters in this is amazing. I have no idea what happens in the end though - I found myself reaching for 'magic realism' to explain what might have happened. Does Choosy's desire to make money from art literally blind her from seeing the art?
Dave Riley
Mesmerizing story telling undermined by some wanky discourse on the meaning of art. Pitch perfect graphics nonetheless packaged within a dramatic cadence that draws you into time, place and character.

It did leave an impression that is sure to last and I'm out hunting more from Mutard.
I read the new edition published by Allen and Unwin, so it may be slightly different to the above.

It was okay. Quick and entertaining-ish.

Deborah Ideiosepius
Liked it; it was a good concept with a well developed plot and a satisfying ending. The artwork was appropriate for the story.
Raul added it
Nov 09, 2015
Mitch Cave
Mitch Cave marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Tanja added it
Aug 24, 2015
Ingrid Skogen
Ingrid Skogen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Carl Sonnenfeld
Carl Sonnenfeld marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014