Start by marking “Specification by Example” as Want to Read:
Specification by Example

Specification by Example

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Summary

Specification by Example is an emerging practice for creating software based on realistic examples, bridging the communication gap between business stakeholders and the dev teams building the software. In this book, author Gojko Adzic distills interviews with successful teams worldwide, sharing how they specify, develop, and deliver software, without defects, in sh
Published June 3rd 2011 by Manning Publications (first published June 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Specification by Example, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specification by Example

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonCode Complete by Steve McConnell
Essential Programming Books
63rd out of 113 books — 275 voters
Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanCode Complete by Steve McConnellClean Code by Robert C. MartinDesign Patterns by Erich Gamma
software-development
44th out of 55 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Stijn
Jan 27, 2013 Stijn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: it
The book offers some very good ideas and is an interesting read, but too me it's too repetitive. You keep reading the same arguments and explanations over and over again, without going into concrete examples. It would have helped if the book contained a full blown actual example of the artifacts that are produced by SBE, and not just describing what the process is.
André Heijstek
The majority of the book is just an expansion of the praise pages typically found in USA books.
Never the book become concrete on HOW to create good test specifications.
Andy
Jan 02, 2012 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: tech
I like the concepts in this book about having a living documentation system through testing. There are real-world, high-level case-studies, but I would like to have seen more examples of actual tests and tools.
Karl Metivier
Gojko bring us another book about specifications. The first one was Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing and talked about the author personal experience in this subject. This time, we see other people's experiences with the using of Specification by Example. In addition to that, we see how Gojko has evolved his thinking about specification and after a few chapters, we go beyond the basics.

By the way, this book doesn't talk about code or tools. Jus
Ronald
I'm currently trying to better understand the BDD mind set and how it might improve things on my current project so I was really excited when Specification by Example showed up in my Kindle. I was looking forward to finding a whole check list of dos and don'ts to help accelerate me to BDD nirvana. Instead, I learned that implementation of SBE is very contextual -- one size does not fit all. Different teams use different techniques. The author interviewed several teams using SBE and discovered wh ...more
Ash Moran
Often I wish I could say about some aspect of software development, literally, "let's do this by the book". Only then do I realise there is no book. It's like realising there is no spoon, except the problem can be solved by an experienced software developer, rather than the saviour of mankind. Until now, the process of capturing, formalising, and validating the high-level specification of software has been one of these inconsistently-documented problems. Gojko Adzic has changed that by structuri ...more
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
A book on how to create and deliver software which is (a) quality; (b) what is needed; (c) not more than needed. One way to achieve that is needs and requirements specification together with clients. In addition, using different examples illustrating what software is supposed to do.

Capturing needs, not scripts - that is probably one of the most important messages from the book.

All in all, there are very good ideas and practices presented (many of them are still ahead of their time), albeit in so
Brett
According to Dan North, if you need a book on BDD, this is the book to read. In fact, Dan has said that he did not write a book because this one captures the essence of what he was trying to get across.

This book is based on actually talking with real projects and gives examples of what has and had not worked on projects for writing Executable Specifications. This contains a wealth of information on things to avoid based on what has/has not worked for other teams. On the other hand, when you read
Torben Rasmussen
Gojko Adzik has managed to lay out practices in the area of test driven acceptance testing, autmated testing and documentation. This certainly feels like testing done right and describes a collaborative approach to specification, testing and documentation focused on automation.

The key practices introduced are:
* Deriving scope from goals
* Specifying collaboratively
* Illustrating using example
* Refining the specification
* Automating without changing the specification
* Validating frequently
Olga
Fine book, but it seemed to put too much emphasis on renaming stuff. Not BDD, but Specification by examples; not tests, but live documentation; and on and on.
Eduardo
It is definitely a book for a more than one read, mainly because it exposes different scenarios and tips on how other teams have resolved them; so you'll probably need to go back to them in the future. All this on teams where they already have started or reaching a mature Agile software development process.
This set up makes for a more complex read since there are lots of related data and not all of them are clear at the beginning.
All in all is good book and worth reading it, even if you are in t
Rick Austin
Great introduction to the concept of specification by example. This is not a technical book and will not teach you how to implement but it does provide a deep overview of specification by example. Extensive interviews with a number of companies provide real-world examples of how this works and the benefits gained by each. Very open about mistakes made by some teams which was very helpful.

Great read that now has me wanting to learn more about how to implement these practices.
Pavleras
my interest has been risen progressively. I didn't have any expectation and I've changed my opinion. The framework proposed to apply BDD is very understandable and easy to follow. This book focuses on how to increase collaboration, how to modify your development process. The book explains to the reader, other team experiences applying BDD. I miss a more detailed explanation about how to make the tests but the book would be probably much longer.
Sebastian Gebski
Deep analysis of ATDD (Acceptance Test Driven Development), enriched with several real life cases. Detailed and precise (sometimes even a bit too much, what made it dull at some points). I leaned towards 4 stars, but this book answers a lot of questions about user acceptance and specifications in agile methods - the questions other are usually afraid to address. That's why it's 5 stars after all.
Karyn Crouse
Well written and interesting read, good examples and case studies, a good introduction to SBE/BDD/ATDD
Daniel Temme
Really nice book. Especially liked the different context of the different projects' experiences.

At times I might have wished for some more technical examples but the RSpec book seems to be a good companion book for that.
Bjoern Rochel
I really like the case studies used throughout the book. I had hoped that the book would go into more detail, but nevertheless It left me with a lot of ideas of how to improve what we're doing in my current team.
Scott Maclellan
Some excellent ideas to keep your system/tests maintainable long term. I really like how the book focuses on ideas and different practices that worked for teams over the tools and software they used.
Kevin
Great start and ending, with lots of useful and practical tips straight from the the field. The thesis seemed to get tired and slow during the beginning, but definitely still a worthwhile read.
Ivan
Краткая статья не хабре http://bit.ly/VXtdtB
Классные примеры и подробное объяснение рассматриваемых тем. Мне было интересно узнать что вообще такое существует)
Geert
Core principles and ideas are very good.
Though I found the interlacing of comments and text a bit frustrating at times. (Stops it from being a smooth read.)
Nicolas
Definitely a great book for who wants to improve or start the "Specification by Example" practice.
A lot of good advices "from the trenches" !
Josh Brown
Great points on why to create a living documentation system. I would've loved to see more examples of good specifications and how to write them.
Franfredo
Excellent introduction to Specification By Example (or Behaviour Driven Development) with plenty of real world use-cases.
Uldis Sturms
Really good book, kept thinking about priorities and way to communicate when developing software that matters.
Christian

must read for agile teams wanting to streamline their specification and testing process
Mylene
Interesting read, really valuable when you develop agile, lean or anything similar.
Sweemeng Ng
Good book, good example. A bit preachy, but it have a good reason.

Florian Thiel
Inspiring for most parts, lacks a bit in practical applications!
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • The Cucumber Book
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • The RSpec Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories Test Driven .Net Development with Fitnesse Fifty Quick Ideas To Improve Your Tests