Start by marking “On a Raven's Wing: New Tales in Honor of Edgar Allan Poe by Mary Higgins Clark, Thomas H. Cook, James W. Hall, Rupert Holmes, S. J. Rozan, Don Winslow, and Fourteen Others” as Want to Read:

On a Raven's Wing: New Tales in Honor of Edgar Allan Poe by Mary Higgins Clark, Thomas H. Cook, James W. Hall, Rupert Holmes, S. J. Rozan, Don Winslow, and Fourteen Others (Mystery Writers of America Anthology)

Twenty contemporary writers commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Edgar Allan Poe with chilling stories inspired by the master himself.

Nearly two centuries after they were penned, Edgar Allan Poe's macabre tales are still working their eerie magic on readers of every stripe—thrill-seekers, filmmakers, even fellow writers of suspense. Collected here to honor and
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about On a Raven's Wing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Raven's Wing

Kathryn
May 09, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book of short stories has been my bedtime reading since the middle of May (of this year, for anyone wondering); while some of the stories are clunkers, enough of them are good enough so that, overall, this collection of tales having something or other to do with Edgar Allan Poe or his stories is great fun to read.

Basically to treat the stories I liked in order of when they occur in the book, I liked “Israfel” by Doug Allyn, “The Tell-Tale Purr” by Mary Higgins Clark, “The Cask of Castle Isl
Anne
May 25, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection that is mostly very entertaining and imaginative. Great Middle of the Night Book. My favorite was the rabbi son trying to connect with his estranged father who was dying and unable to speak coherently. This seemed a good follow-up to our trip to Baltimore. Next time there we'll put flowers on his grave again.
Gail
Jul 22, 2016 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only instruction the authors of this collection of superb short stories was that they must include Poe in someway, as a character, his stories, or poems. This collection is imaginative, funny, touching, and scary. Your knowledge of Poe does not have to be deep to appreciate this collection of stories.
Victoria
Sep 24, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually a fan of short stories so I was pleasantly surprised by this anthology of storeis all inspired by the writings of Poe. Of course there were some stories I liked better than others, some I could see the plot twist coming a mile away and a few that were down right just great.

If your a fan of Poe or you know someone who is, then I would recommend this book.
Norman Cooper
Feb 25, 2009 Norman Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at the local Barnes and Noble, I enjoyed reading all of the stories within. I am looking forward to rereading this again and again. If you are a fan of Poe or just a fan of short stories, I recommend this book.
Dakota Thompson
I was pretty disappointed. I thought that the stories would be more "horror" and darkly confusing like Poe's stories. I didn't realize that by simply mentioning the Great Poet's name, the story was thrown in this collection.

Oh well.
Lindsay
May 25, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the last few months, this has been my "emergency book". It's the one I keep in my bag for the train, waiting rooms, etc. and hasn't been all that high on my list of priorities until about a week ago.

Like almost all collections, some of the stories are pretty bland, some are pretty good, and a few select little tidbits are fantastic. I am a huge fan of Poe's work, so when I saw this for less than $1 at my library's last book sale, I couldn't resist. Who doesn't need a book of quick reads for
Americanogig
Jul 19, 2010 Americanogig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collected by the organization that awards the famous ‘Edgar’ busts, MWA, this Poe-offering in honor of his 200th birthday actually pleases. The short stories I took the most joy in probably were those who took inspiration from him or wrote modern-day versions of his tales. I appreciated the understated acknowledgement opposite the saturated wink/wink-nod/nod self aware stories. So, while a few pieces left me feeling less than happy in their attempt at being clever, the others thrilled and inspi ...more
Paula
Jan 17, 2010 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a birthday gift fromj my beloved husband, Robert. He found it on Amazon and ordered it for me since I have the privilege to teach Poe to my 11th graders. I keep the volume on my nightstand and read a story here and there before bed. So far, I've read a story by Mary Higgins Clark that is a parody of "The Tell Tale Heart." "Nevermore," was a decent story but I didn't quite care for "Poe, Jo and I." Overall, I like having a "night-stand book" at the ready and what better su ...more
Feritgrrl
Typical anthology in that the collection is uneven: a few great stories, a larger number that are entertaining but not memorable, some "meh" and a few stinkers (I haven't yet forgiven the second story for barbecuing a pig on a spigot rather than a spit. I kept picturing someone trying to turn the water on and getting burned or covered in grease). Another quibble- too many stories with the same premise ( Hollywood deal making). I gave the book 3 stars, but only b/c there was no way of registering ...more
Jan 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who knows me knows I love Poe, so I was really excited to see this collection of new mysteries by authors who have been influenced by him. Unfortunately, I had to return the book before I got to read all of the stories. Several were very clever, though. I especially enjoyed the one by Rupert Holmes. My favorite Poe short story is probably "The Tell-tale Heart" and I'm always tickled by variations on it.
Margi
Nov 11, 2014 Margi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stories, The Cask of Castle Island, Bells, Israfel, The Gold Bug and The Poe Collector. And, some rather blah ones as well. I thought there were a few cute plays with Poe's name and such as well. Is an interesting read for fans of Poe; a lighter side to the writer with these retellings and short stories based on Poe.
Mike
Jul 26, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviews
Overall good anthology of Poe-inspired short stories. A tribute to Poe's 200th birthday from the Mystery Writers of America.
Tom Hicks
Excellent stories. A great tribute to EAP. Also learned some things about him I never knew. Well worth the read. Very interesting stories, some with a twist. I recommend it.
Katie J Schwartz
Most of the stories were not as creepy as I'd hoped...
Jan 28, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great anthology; though there are a few stories that are slightly disappointing if you hold them to Poe's tales. I think William Allan Wilson was my favorite.
David F.
Feb 24, 2013 David F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of stories inspired by Poe.
Anne
Nov 08, 2009 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not all the stories are winners, the book is fun for Poe lovers and worth the read.
Barbara Justiniano
Excellent short story compilation from modern day authors inspired by Edgar Allan Poe.
Suzanne
Like all anthologies, a mixed bag. But if you like Poe, there's sure to be something here to your tastes.
Ann
Mar 26, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Poe's original stories more.
Anita Weber
Anita Weber rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2009
Deepakbaks
Deepakbaks rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Hina Syed
Hina Syed rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2009
Debra B.
Debra B. rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2008
Nessa
Nessa rated it liked it
May 22, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2009
Dominique
Dominique rated it really liked it
May 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Mystery Writers of America Anthology (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • 20 Great Tales of Murder
  • Maiden Murders
  • Crime for Two
  • Dolls Are Murder : a Mystery Writers of America Anthology
  • For love or money : the 1957 anthology of the Mystery Writers of America
  • The Lethal Sex: the 1959 anthology of the mystery writers of America
  • Tales for a Rainy Night The (14th Mystery Writers of America Anthology)
  • Cream of the crime
  • A Pride of Felons: twenty stories by the members of the Mystery Writers of America
  • Crimes Across the Sea: The 19th Annual Anthology of the Mystery Writers of America