Start by marking “Rainbow Season” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Season

Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Luke Turner
An outcast, they called him "bad blood" from his boyhood in a tarpaper shack to his nights in a prison cell.

Sarah McGowan
Her roots were deep in the Texas soil. But her secret shameful love for her sister's husband kept her from happiness.

Pride and their love of the Texas land threw them together in an unlikely marriage. Then, as unexpectedly as a spring flood,
Published July 1st 1983 by Jove (first published August 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Season

Crista
Have you ever read a book that captured your attention from the very first sentence, captivated you and took you to another place and time, and became more important to you than food or sleep? THIS is one of those kind of books. I read both this story and it's sequel Rainbow Promise back to back nights. While I am exhausted while writing this review, I have a grin on my face I as I recount this amazing love story.....(one that is CEMENTED on my keeper shelf!)

Luke "Digger" Turner has returned to
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Turner's Rainbows Saga series. An oldie and somewhat goodie. I've seen this listed as a fave and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I may just not be in the mood for dark romances. This wasn't really dark but had some tearjerker moments. Luke (Digger) has had a rough life and ended up in prison when a girl falsely accuses him of rape. But he's ready to pick himself back up and earn enough money to get out of town and start new. Sarah's father hires him to help on ...more
Feminista
Keri
Bad boy Luke Turner has been released from jail for a rape charge that he didn't commit. He has made a vow to himself that his life was going to change for the better. He comes out to the Texas farm of pretty, older Sarah McGowan and is hired on as an extra hand. Sarah at first doesn't think of Luke in a romantic sense, because she was filled with daydreams of her sister's husband.

But a tragedy brings Luke to the forefront of her mind and heart as they work together to save her farm. After they
Regan Walker
Redemption Romance Texas Style...

First published in 1979, THE RAINBOW SEASON was a pioneering novel in the early years of modern historical romance. But you’d never know it. It reads like one that could be written today.

Set in a Texas farming community of strong Methodist values, likely in the late 18th century, it tells of 25-year-old Sarah McGowen, who secretly pines for her sister’s husband and has an active fantasy life. She wants her own family but has rejected suitors she doesn’t love. The
Moriah
Well, now, this was a really sweet little book. The old-style lightning-fast POV switches (listing definitely toward third-person omniscient) were a little tough to get used to (again), but gave a solid flavor to the book it might not have otherwise had.

I'm partial to the "hard work and pragmatism makes everything better" philosophy, so this was a real treat for me. I expected to see the later family introduced almost swayed to the town's point of view, but that didn't happen at all. Wasn't even
Regina
I loved Luke Turner. I ached for him, his heartbreaking childhood, and unjust prison time. To see a man brought so low brings up all kinds of rescue tendencies in me, and I could understand the reasons for his behavior and sullen defiance. Luke made you want to just make everything better for him. Sarah was an insecure yet kind and fair woman and perfect for Luke. My favorite stories have unrequited love elements to make things a little complicated, and sure enough, Luke's knowledge of Sarah's l ...more
Marmar
I fell in love with Luke and Sarah immediately. Luke truly was the down trodden hero that you wanted to come out ahead. Sarah was the dutiful sister and daughter who'd denied herself happiness. Once I began reading it was difficult to put the book down.

I read this book at age 15 and have kept it in my collection. Every now and again I must go back and relive Sarah and Luke's journey to love and confidence. A beautifully written story. Quite romantic.
Lynda
Marriage of convenience or forced marriage romances are among my favorite genres. This author gives new dimension to this theme by making the characters both strong minded and complex.
Sheri
Published in 1979 under Candace Camp's pseudonym, I just re-read this for the umpteenth time. It's one of my favorites.

Luke is a man who grew up being abused. The story begins after he's released from prison. Reputations don't get much worse, and his cynical, hateful attitude is a product of his abusive past. Sarah's father hires Luke and gives him a chance, the one thing he's always wanted and never received. When Sarah's parents are killed, she and Luke decide marriage would benefit them both-
Vickie
One of my favorite books of. all time
May
It was a nice read.
2 Main things happened in there, that were a little dark. but i liked it in general.
What I did not like was how stubborn and clueless they were about each other feelings.
Lina Proietto
Read this book years ago and then picked it up after 5 or so years and was just as good the second, third and forth time around

Missy
Love this book....... have read it many times.
Amanda
Still one of my favorites!
Bunga
Otomatis langsung jadi buku favorit saya! Keren banget! So touching! Di beberapa part, saya sampai meneteskan airmata kebawa emosi.
Anjali Karunakaran
Anjali Karunakaran marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Nessa Rodriguez
Nessa Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Sheen
Sheen marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • Conor's Way
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Joe's Wife
  • Bitterleaf
  • The Portrait
  • The Tender Texan
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • The Outsider
  • Dream Fever
Candace Pauline Camp was born on May 23, 1949 in Amarillo, Texas, U.S.A.. The youngest of three children born into a newspaper family -- her mother, Lula Mae (Irons) Camp, had been a reporter and her father, Grady Camp, was the business manager of the Amarillo, Texas, newspaper -- some of Candace's earliest memories are of making up stories which she played out on the floor of their den with whate ...more
More about Lisa Gregory...

Turner's Rainbows Saga (2 books)
  • The Rainbow Promise (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #2)
The Rainbow Promise (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #2) Crystal Heart (Harper Monogram) Solitaire Analise Light and Shadow