Start by marking “Rip Van Winkle” as Want to Read:
Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  6,167 ratings  ·  197 reviews
This early American tale follows the likeable but lazy Rip Van Winkle into the mysterious Catskill Mountains where he meets a band of odd fellows playing a game of ninepins. Rip falls into a deep sleep for 20 years. When he wakes up, he finds that his home is a very different place indeed. This story is a wonderful reminder about making the most of your life.
Published September 15th 2010 by Creative Education (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip Van Winkle

Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
description

"Rip Van Winkle" is considered by some critics to be one of the finest early American short stories. Everyone knows the basic story, but I'd guess not all that many people have actually read the original story. **Warning: if you're one of those rare persons who's not familiar with the story, just be aware that the last part of this review contains major spoilers.**

I was inspired by Karly's review to read it for myself. It took a little digging to find the full original version online; it turns
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

i, is for Irving

3 Stars

When I was a child I always thought the story of Rip Van Winkle was harmless; some guy gets really tired and falls asleep on a mountain only to wake up 20 years later, the end.

That’s not entirely accurate. This is a story about a man who is so busy doing everything for everyone else that he doesn’t have time for repairing or maintaining his own home. He’s always busy …. Doing stuff. And he has an evil wife who is always nagging him to do bothersome things; like come hom
Emadeddin

Poor Rip Van Winkle!
Is this the only way to escape your nagging wife? sleeping for twenty years?!! I know you didn't mean to, you just wanted to take one day off and it lasted for a very long time!!

description

I think Rip represents America, and his wife represents Britain! When he finally woke up, Britain (Dame Van Winkle) was defeated (dead!!) and America (Rip) was finally independent!
It's a very cool image, isn't it?! The representation of the idea of getting free is truly impressive!
But, you know, it ju
Nicole
The feminist in me really hated this story. I wonder if everything I ever remembered about this short was from actually reading it, or because it's a New York folk-tale. I thought - oh yes, this is the very fun story about the guy who falls asleep and when he wakes up his beard is long! But really, it's the story of a lazy ass man named Rip who is unhappy because his wife is mean (because he's so freaking lazy the family has actually lost a considerable amount of wealth because he can't seem to ...more
Carol
The short story opens with a beautiful description of the Catskill Mountains (which Irving never saw in person), at the foot of which is the village where the Rip Van Winkle lives during the late 1760s/ 1770s (while the area is still a colony of Great Britain under the rule of King George III.) Rip Van Winkle is a ‘‘simple, goodnatured fellow'' with a faithful dog Wolf, a son, a daughter, and a domineering wife. Rip is a favorite of the village community, and a group of men at the local tavern t ...more
Jessica
Jan 03, 2013 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American literature fans
Shelves: 2013
Rip Van Winkle is a short story by 19th century American author, Washington Irving. What I like best about this story that, though it can be taken as a children's story, it is actually a complex satire that Irving is best known for (actually...kind of like Gulliver's Travels, now that I think about it).

Rip Van Winkle is an British colonist living in American before the Revolutionary war. He ends up drinking some magic liquor and wakes to find the world he knows completely different.

Rip is lazy
Erich Franz Guzmann
A very interesting story indeed, I'm sure for adults and children a like. There's a reason that this book has been so popular, even to this day. So, if you haven't given it a shot by now, then it's definitely time. It won't take up too much of your time and even the time it does take it'll definitely be worth it.
Nikki
3,5 actually - fun to read, Rip is such a lazy ass, he slept for 20 years in order to escape from his wife. Nice children's story, loved descriptions, works well as some kind of a cautionary, kinda fairy tale.
I couldn't help myself and hated that he cost his family so much money, and still blamed his wife for being nagging, boring, annoying person who stood in a way of his laziness.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Felicity Disco
I knew the basic story but had never read this one, so I figured I should read along with the Classic Alice plot! I enjoy Irving's writing, and the Arthur Rackham illustrations in this edition were gorgeous. And, you know, ghost bowling. Absolutely here for the ghost bowling.
Kaethe
Last night at supper we were talking about the various kinds of fey characters of human folklore, and the Spouse said Rip had spent his twenty years (relative) among hairy gnomes. I didn't remember that at all, so it seemed I'd have to read the story again. At thirty years remove from the original reading, all I could recall was the simplest plot: that Rip drinks among the fey, comes back to town 20 years later.

I'm glad I re-read it, because there's much more to the Irving telling. Kind of horri
Bruce
This short story by Washington Irving is familiar to every American and has become part of our national mythology. Rereading it after many years was fun and also raised a number in thought-provoking issues.

The changes that Rip experienced after his twenty-year sleep were profound but would be minimal to us over a similar period today, change has so markedly accelerated. Think of twenty years ago today, in 1990. In “information age” changes are only one example – consider computer technology. And
Al
The subject of Rip Van Winkle came up in a game we were playing with Natalie (Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?). (By the way, don't play this game unless you are very secure.) Anyway, she hadn't heard of it, so I got it from the library and read it to her. We both had fun. I learned that although it may be a tale that interests children, it's not a book easily read by elementary school children. The vocabulary is advanced. But with necessary translations, it worked out fine, and perhaps was ...more
Amber
This was a fun and surprising story. Going into it I knew the premise of the tale thanks to the numerous cartoon parodies and such but I had no idea how lovely this story would actually be. It is at it's core a simple tale but is rich in history and geography and the prologue and epilogue just add to the charm of the book. I am so glad this was part of our curriculum because I might not have picked it up otherwise. This particular edition was full of lovely illustrations but some of the foreshad ...more
Aimee
Blingiton
Ziwei Cheng
Once upon a time there is a mountain called Catskill Mountains. This mountain is amazing because it keeps changing color at different times all the year. A nice man named Rip Van Winkle was living a village near the mountain in 1769. He loves to help everyone who is in need of help. But he never does favor to his own family. He never works in his own farm and helps his own family. He has two wild children named Rip and Judith. Every morning and night, Mrs Van Winkle accused him of his laziness. ...more
Jason
Sep 28, 2014 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Creepy
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
I used to like this better than "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," at least in book form, and I guess I still do. The story is more to my liking, though the prose in Hollow is better. The Headless Horseman is kind of a lame ghost, just hanging out to race with people on the road sometimes; there's very little menace about him in the original story, and not a lot of mystery either. He's just kind of there. But there is nothing but mystery surrounding the ghosts of Henry Hudson and crew in "Van Winkle ...more
Vanessa
Shari
Reading this book in conjunction with a class I am taking about American identity and how it progressed and changed through time, but also reading this because it is a fine piece of Americana, I was excited when some of my previous class work was further strengthened by this story.

I finally put together the Henry Hudson mythology that is found in this story. Hudson, a rather obstreperous captain was put adrift in a small boat with two of his most brutal henchmen and never heard from or seen agai
Czarny Pies
Oct 02, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Des francais qui doivent mieux comprendre les bases de la culture americaine.
Salut les Francais. Si vous vous interessez aux Etats-Unis vous devez absolument lire une collection de contes de Washington Irving qui a tout seul cree la culture populaire des Americains. Il a fait pour les Etats-Unis ce que les freres Grimms ont fait pour les boches et ce que Perrault a fait pour les francais, il leur a donne une collection de contes d'enfants qui donnait une direction specifiquement americaine a leur imaginaire.

Les personnages d'Irving etaient tous des descendants de Neo-Hol
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book; it left much to the imagination and, although it is a fairy tale, there is a sense in which it is very "real". Irving's opening scene picks up in the middle of a couple's life story. No background is given, leaving the curious reader (me) pondering the myriad of possibilities (all evening). Irving accurately depicts human nature on a number of levels. Both Rip Van Winkle and his wife exhibit some nasty, albeit common, character traits with (largely) negative consequences. Th ...more
Blossom
Interesting story. I've not read anything that I am aware of by Washington Irving prior to reading this short story. The story of Rip Van Winkle has been greatly embellished as time has gone on. The original is short, to the point and without a lot of extras. I do think that it has an underlying agenda, perhaps, but it isn't blatantly obvious. It is there, you just have to have the right mindset perhaps to find it.

Good for a children's story as well as adults.
Taylortbush
A watered-down version of a fascinating concept. After reading this and Sleepy Hollow, I feel that all Irving cares about is wanking off about the Hudson river valley instead of actually fully forming interesting ideas. "The father of American literature". Bah!!! Exposition should support a good conceit, instead he uses a good conceit to generate exposition!
Omar
قصة قصيرة يقرأها الأطفال اليوم , ينام البطل 18 سنة ويفوته التحول من التبعية لبريطانيا إلى الاستقلال ويعود ليجد رسمة جورج واشنطن معلقة بدلاً من الملك جورج البريطاني وبعض التغيرات الأخرى , أستغربت من كون أنه لم يذكر فروق كثيرة خاصة في الأشخاص مع أن الفكرة خصبة للمقارنة , هناك من حلل ذلك أن إرفينغ لم يكن متحمساً للدولة الجديدة فالتغيرات بالنسبة له شكلية.
A B
This story always freaked me out as a kid. The very idea of sleeping for 20 years, whilst still aging, just sounded horrible. Missing out on 20 years of one's life, dang.

Yet having read it as an adult, I feel a bit differently about it. Is losing 20 years still awful? Of course. Yet perhaps it was necessary, or maybe even a kindness. Rip Van Winkle was a nice guy, but an inattentive father and half of a very dysfunctional marriage. He was exactly the kind of guy who would refuse fishing lessons
BJ Rose
I enjoyed this trip down memory lane with a reread of a beautifully constructed tale - about a lazy lout who escaped up into the hills to avoid the deserved nagging of his wife, and ended up sleeping for 20 years, right through the American Revolution. Washington Irving could paint wonderful word-pictures, and the reading was made even more enjoyable by the lovely illustrations of N.C. Wyeth.
Fatini Zulkifli
Reading this book because it is compulsory for American Literature course that I am taking this semester.

I was surprised that Washington Irving imitated the story from Al-Qur'an which is Asbabul Kahfi in Chapter Al-Kahfi which means The Cave. It is about a group of men fell asleep in a cave for a really long time. When they woke up, the environment has changed which includes the transformation of leadership. The group of men also brought an animal with them and it was a dog. Just like in Rip Va
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Jowayria Rahal
Funny how people do change .
I read this years ago and I hardly thought of I think of it now . I read it because one of my all time favourite musicans was claimed to love it and I felt I , too , had to love it .

Now , I understand it .
A review is to be written very soon .
  • My Kinsman Major Molineux
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • The King of the Golden River
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • A History of U. S.: War, Peace & All That Jazz (History of U. S.)
  • The Cenci
  • Guy Mannering
  • The Man Without A Country
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker

“A tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.” 37 likes
“But what courage can withstand the ever-during and all-besetting terrors of a woman's tongue?” 1 likes