Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  5,156 ratings  ·  156 reviews
This early American tale follows the likeable but lazy Rip Van Winkle into the mysterious Catskill Mountains where he meets a band of odd fellows playing a game of ninepins. Rip falls into a deep sleep for 20 years. When he wakes up, he finds that his home is a very different place indeed. This story is a wonderful reminder about making the most of your life.
Published September 15th 2010 by Creative Education (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip Van Winkle

Erich Franz Guzmann
A very interesting story indeed, I'm sure for adults and children a like. There's a reason that this book has been so popular, even to this day. So, if you haven't given it a shot by now, then it's definitely time. It won't take up too much of your time and even the time it does take it'll definitely be worth it.
Carol
The short story opens with a beautiful description of the Catskill Mountains (which Irving never saw in person), at the foot of which is the village where the Rip Van Winkle lives during the late 1760s/ 1770s (while the area is still a colony of Great Britain under the rule of King George III.) Rip Van Winkle is a ‘‘simple, goodnatured fellow'' with a faithful dog Wolf, a son, a daughter, and a domineering wife. Rip is a favorite of the village community, and a group of men at the local tavern t...more
Jessica
Jan 03, 2013 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American literature fans
Shelves: 2013
Rip Van Winkle is a short story by 19th century American author, Washington Irving. What I like best about this story that, though it can be taken as a children's story, it is actually a complex satire that Irving is best known for (actually...kind of like Gulliver's Travels, now that I think about it).

Rip Van Winkle is an British colonist living in American before the Revolutionary war. He ends up drinking some magic liquor and wakes to find the world he knows completely different.

Rip is lazy...more
Nicole
The feminist in me really hated this story. I wonder if everything I ever remembered about this short was from actually reading it, or because it's a New York folk-tale. I thought - oh yes, this is the very fun story about the guy who falls asleep and when he wakes up his beard is long! But really, it's the story of a lazy ass man named Rip who is unhappy because his wife is mean (because he's so freaking lazy the family has actually lost a considerable amount of wealth because he can't seem to...more
Kaethe
Last night at supper we were talking about the various kinds of fey characters of human folklore, and the Spouse said Rip had spent his twenty years (relative) among hairy gnomes. I didn't remember that at all, so it seemed I'd have to read the story again. At thirty years remove from the original reading, all I could recall was the simplest plot: that Rip drinks among the fey, comes back to town 20 years later.

I'm glad I re-read it, because there's much more to the Irving telling. Kind of horri...more
Bruce
This short story by Washington Irving is familiar to every American and has become part of our national mythology. Rereading it after many years was fun and also raised a number in thought-provoking issues.

The changes that Rip experienced after his twenty-year sleep were profound but would be minimal to us over a similar period today, change has so markedly accelerated. Think of twenty years ago today, in 1990. In “information age” changes are only one example – consider computer technology. And...more
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Al
The subject of Rip Van Winkle came up in a game we were playing with Natalie (Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?). (By the way, don't play this game unless you are very secure.) Anyway, she hadn't heard of it, so I got it from the library and read it to her. We both had fun. I learned that although it may be a tale that interests children, it's not a book easily read by elementary school children. The vocabulary is advanced. But with necessary translations, it worked out fine, and perhaps was...more
Amber
This was a fun and surprising story. Going into it I knew the premise of the tale thanks to the numerous cartoon parodies and such but I had no idea how lovely this story would actually be. It is at it's core a simple tale but is rich in history and geography and the prologue and epilogue just add to the charm of the book. I am so glad this was part of our curriculum because I might not have picked it up otherwise. This particular edition was full of lovely illustrations but some of the foreshad...more
Aimee
Vanessa
Blossom
Interesting story. I've not read anything that I am aware of by Washington Irving prior to reading this short story. The story of Rip Van Winkle has been greatly embellished as time has gone on. The original is short, to the point and without a lot of extras. I do think that it has an underlying agenda, perhaps, but it isn't blatantly obvious. It is there, you just have to have the right mindset perhaps to find it.

Good for a children's story as well as adults.
Taylortbush
A watered-down version of a fascinating concept. After reading this and Sleepy Hollow, I feel that all Irving cares about is wanking off about the Hudson river valley instead of actually fully forming interesting ideas. "The father of American literature". Bah!!! Exposition should support a good conceit, instead he uses a good conceit to generate exposition!
Omar
قصة قصيرة يقرأها الأطفال اليوم , ينام البطل 18 سنة ويفوته التحول من التبعية لبريطانيا إلى الاستقلال ويعود ليجد رسمة جورج واشنطن معلقة بدلاً من الملك جورج البريطاني وبعض التغيرات الأخرى , أستغربت من كون أنه لم يذكر فروق كثيرة خاصة في الأشخاص مع أن الفكرة خصبة للمقارنة , هناك من حلل ذلك أن إرفينغ لم يكن متحمساً للدولة الجديدة فالتغيرات بالنسبة له شكلية.
A B
This story always freaked me out as a kid. The very idea of sleeping for 20 years, whilst still aging, just sounded horrible. Missing out on 20 years of one's life, dang.

Yet having read it as an adult, I feel a bit differently about it. Is losing 20 years still awful? Of course. Yet perhaps it was necessary, or maybe even a kindness. Rip Van Winkle was a nice guy, but an inattentive father and half of a very dysfunctional marriage. He was exactly the kind of guy who would refuse fishing lessons...more
BJ Rose
I enjoyed this trip down memory lane with a reread of a beautifully constructed tale - about a lazy lout who escaped up into the hills to avoid the deserved nagging of his wife, and ended up sleeping for 20 years, right through the American Revolution. Washington Irving could paint wonderful word-pictures, and the reading was made even more enjoyable by the lovely illustrations of N.C. Wyeth.
Jowayriah Bookish
Funny how people do change .
I read this years ago and I hardly thought of I think of it now . I read it because one of my all time favourite musicans was claimed to love it and I felt I , too , had to love it .

Now , I understand it .
A review is to be written very soon .
Rizwan
I think I first read this story (well an abridged version of it anyway) in the third grade. It fascinated me then, and I decided to revisit it after coming across a mention of it in a Guardian article that I had come across.

Its a delightful tale, sending a likeable man - loved by all, but tormented by his wife - to a deep sleep of twenty years so that he sees a changed world.

Set in contrasting pre- and post-American revolution times, it also describes the changes that has taken place in the vill...more
Kelsey Nauert
Rip Van Winkle falls asleep for twenty years and wakes up to find a very different world. This old folktale could be used in a social studies class (Catskills Mountains) or read just for fun.
Dusty
Lots of fun, especially in October
Kate
I’m not a big fan of early American literature with its over-fascination of authenticating itself. First, it’s fiction which some would call a lie, and then it calls itself truth so it becomes a lie upon a lie. It’s irritating particularly since I like my fiction to be fictional. As a fun little fantasy, which insists on saying it’s truth, RVW is too reliant on caricatures and stereotypes. And the part I’d really be interest in – the part with the mysterious Dutchmen doesn’t take up nearly enoug...more
Janeen-san
We all know the classic tale of Rip Van Winkle, a man who falls asleep and a wakes up years later. I liked this story better than I thought I would. The vocabulary is complex, and I had to look up some words, but when I understood them it made the story all the more fun to read. Also, there were a lot of things about this story that evaded me!
I always thought he slept for a hundred years, and I had no idea his wife was so horrible. (Or even that he had a wife!) As I was reading I got a sense s...more
Daniel Namie
"Even to this day they never hear a thunderstorm of a summer afternoon about the Kaatskill, but they say Hendricks Hudson and his crew are at their game of ninepins, and it is a common wish of all hen-pecked husbands in the neighborhood, when life hangs heavy on their hands, that they might have a quieting draught out of Rip Van Winkle's flagon."
--Washington Irving

The universal reality of Washington Irving words describes the hardship of marriage upon the solitary nature of man. The matriarchal...more
Shawn Thrasher
Whether he was setting out to do so or not, Washington Irving was creating American folklore when he wrote "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." In 1819 when "Rip Van Winkle" was written, the United States was still a young country (comparatively speaking, it still is), and while immigrants had brought their own stories from the old world, there wasn't an American folklore tradition. Obviously Native Americans had a rich folklore, and interestingly Washington Irving ties them toget...more
Erika
I find Washington Irving's style too descriptive to my liking; he goes on and on about mountains and rivers and trees and there isn't much about the main story. Also, nowadays there's no way the reader can be surprised by the outcome of the stories, they seem so predictable and simple.
On the good side, there's a nice feeling of folklore and legend in Irving's writing. So many Dutch, German and French scenarios and characters; you wouldn't guess this wasn't written by an European.
Tina
LIBRO 37
RIP VAN WINKLE Y OTRAS HISTORIAS ATERRADORAS
AUTOR: WASHINGTON IRVING
NACIONALIDAD: ESTADOUNIDENSE
SIGLOS XVIII Y XIX

Este libro comprende una serie de narraciones de terror; la prosa es moderadamente descriptiva, con un lenguaje claro y de gran interés. Cada uno de los cuentos tiene su toque de misterio ya que abarca los temas de espectros, asesinatos, encantamientos y tesoros escondidos. Muy recomendable.
Jd
I really like Washington Irving's style, I've never read any of his works before but he reminds me of a Nathaniel Hawthorne in 2 ways. The first being that both Irving and Hawthorne use "found" or "lost" writings as a way to tell their stories and create a sense of realism. The 2nd way in which I think they're similar is that both authors write about a time in America when most of the country was still regarded with mystery.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes stories/legends about ear...more
Fed
A story that is old, yet current. Sometimes I feel like I meet people who have fallen into a 20 years long sleep and woke up to a different world.

What is interesting to me is that after 20 years Rip's world changed completely: a war had taken place during his sleep and now he was a free American no longer subject to England; his wife died; his dog died; and people in his village had become important figures, or had died. Yet, after the shock of what happened to him, Rip resumes his old senseles...more
Ellen
This was the first Washington Irving story I read, and I loved it! I found myself laughing and I understand why he is considered such a great author. I would consider it more of a short story, but very well written and just a short simple introduction to the authors works. I'm thrilled that I enjoyed it!
Mimi
After reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and American folklore icon Ichabod Crane, I decided to continue the trend by visiting with another Washington Irving icon, Rip Van Winkle. Rip Van Winkle is another figure that I have "lived" with all my life through song, short films and the old-fashioned oral tradition and yet this is the first time I actually read the story itself. The lazy & henpecked Rip Van Winkle is so endearing and I am so glad that he got away from the shrewish Dame Van Wink...more
  • Collected Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez | Summary & Study Guide
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of...more
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker

“A tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.” 36 likes
“But what courage can withstand the ever-during and all-besetting terrors of a woman's tongue?” 0 likes