Start by marking “The Next Attack: The Failure of the War on Terror and a Strategy for Getting it Right” as Want to Read:

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"A persuasive and utterly frightening picture of the current state of America's war on terror."--Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times

We are losing. Five years after the September 11 attacks, America finds its strategic position deteriorating in the global war on terror. In The Next Attack, former White House counterterrorism experts Daniel Benjamin and Steven Simon show ho
Published July 25th 2006 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Next Attack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Attack

Melissa Reilly-diakun
I wonder if this book would have been shocking and eye-opening had I read it in 2005. It's hard to think back to what I knew then and what we have learned since then, so this book is less useful than it might have been back then. Much of it is spent lamenting things about the war on terror that have become common knowledge, many of which are no longer relevant.

The parts about the Iraq War were similar but it was interesting to read in the face of the recent happenings with ISIS. I was frustrated
Patrick McCoy
The Next Attack by Daniel Benjamin and Steve Simon show how the terrorist threat has evolved since 9/11, and where the foreign policy decisions have put us in relation to the ongoing terrorist threats. The biased trail of decisions that led up to the invasion of Iraq is astounding really-that a clique of appointed officials could ignore experts and work against people in their own government to bring about a costly and unjustified war. I think they are also particularly good when it comes to ana ...more
Christopher
It is a great book on what needed to be done to fight the war on terrorism. Most of the book I believe is still relevant today. The author's point out the mistakes the Bush Administration had instilling policy and other things. How the war in Iraq was a mistake and using terrorism to push for the war has cost the United States in the end. I do agree with the book and its ideas. This is a must read for anyone interested in terrorism and U.S. policy.
Claire
How the Bushies blew it after 9/11, by two guys who worked on the National Security Council under Clinton. Very good and very scary.
Amatullah
Amatullah marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jean Nicklas
Jean Nicklas marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Alexei
Alexei marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Isidora
Isidora marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jwduke
Jwduke marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Lynn Marie
Lynn Marie is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2013
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Rinie Ibrahim
Rinie Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Hank Williams
Hank Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Jared
Jared added it
Jan 03, 2013
Mer
Mer marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America The Age of Sacred Terror Marijuana The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America Europe 2030