Start by marking “The Encouraging the Heart Workbook” as Want to Read:
The Encouraging the Heart Workbook

The Encouraging the Heart Workbook

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Getting things done in today's workplace is hard work. The climb to the top is demanding and long. Employees become exhausted, frustrated, and sometime entirely disenchanted. Often, they are tempted to simply give up. It's clear from the research conducted by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner over the last two decades that successful leaders find ways to combat these negative fe ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Pfeiffer & Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Encouraging the Heart Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encouraging the Heart Workbook

Eric Mesa
I received this book as part of a manager training seminar I attended. It's not my first management improvement book and it's not my first touchy feel-y self-improvement book. My dad had me read Dyer, Chopra, Tony Robbins, Maxwell Maltz, and Stephen Covey. But this is the first time I've read a touchy feel-y management improvement book since finish my first assignment as a manager.

So it is with a combination of skepticism and belief that I read this book. I've seen some of these principles put
Oct 06, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading "Encouraging the Heart"

According to Kouzes & Posner in “Encouraging the Heart,” when leaders do their best in encouraging the heart they practice the following:
1. Set clear standards
2. Expect the best
3. Pay attention
4. Personalize recognition
5. Tell the story
6. Celebrate together
7. Set the example

This makes perfect sense to me in light of both life and leadership experiences; it is simply the right thing to do. My favorite of the practices is "personalizing recogniti
Neil Coulter

I don't ask much of books on leadership. I read through one occasionally just to keep my mind focused on what I'm supposed to be as a leader. It had been a while since I'd read one, and after a very stressful March and an unfocused April, I decided I needed to refresh myself and get back into the game. Kouzes and Posner's book was a good choice. Like most leadership books, this one is full of stories, with questions for reflection at the end of each chapter and some practical ideas and tips at t

Barbara
Mar 16, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Encouragement boosts performance, strengthens our resolve, and improves our health."

This book gave insights, not just for managers, but for everyone to boost attitudes and connect with others in everyday celebrations.
Luci
Jul 17, 2016 Luci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
Read this for a leadership class, and found the book engaging and thought-provoking. I took pieces from this and Daniel Pink's "Drive" back to my office and recommended them to other leaders.
Terri
Jun 06, 2016 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one came highly recommended from a (really good) speaker at a conference I attended this spring. Unfortunately, this book is as dry as the Sahara. Maybe it's because I've read a bunch of these "be a better manager" books in the last few months, but this one was all the same rhetoric with none of the personality.
George
Read this as quasi mandatory reading for a class. Some great points and some ideas that are completely impractical. If this is a typical you need help with and how in a book store, check it out. Otherwise, a solid "OK."
Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 05, 2012 Melissa Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Shelves: leadership
Leadership authorities James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner say employees perform best when their contributions are genuinely appreciated. Unfortunately, the two contend, most executives have not mastered the decidedly soft-management skill of "encouragement" that fosters such behavior. In Encouraging the Heart, they examine how this type of compassionate supervision is becoming a critical part of successful management today, and through example and suggestion they describe how readers can establ ...more
Kristin
Jul 23, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Loved it! Kouzes and Pozner are right. The fifth leadership practice can be tough. In this quick read, they enunciate seven "essentials" of encouraging the heart. Each essential is described using some external research as to its importance. Then examples are given. The book concludes with 150 methods for encouraging the heart. I've currently got popcorn and notecards in my office with a list of 12 other "to dos". Really helpful practical ideas. This is quickly becoming a favorite in my Leadersh ...more
Alex
Jun 10, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Authors get into more details on one of the Leadership practises they laid out in their seminal Leadership Challenge

The book is full of examples, insights and have very practical model of 7 essentials of encouraging the heart
Heather Mores
Dec 05, 2015 Heather Mores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to read if you want to improve your leadership skills.
Kendall Nielsen
An OK book. Kind of a different approach to leadership. Like any book that takes a unique angle as its title the writers, I think, spent too much time and effort defending their thesis. Agree that encouraging the people you lead is important but it is just one of many tools that can and should be put into play to effectively encourage people to success.
Nicole
Sep 03, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders wishing to truly inspire
This book is a really different book on leadership. It's about more than getting people to do things. It's about inspiring those you lead by knowing who they are and recognizing them in ways that THEY want to be recognized. It's about setting a great example for people to follow.
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2007 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a text book I used during my Master's program in a class called HR of the future and what companies need to do to keep good people. It explains how a leader needs to relate to their employees and just like the title says, "Encourage their hearts".
Mary Lynn
I had to read this for a Leadership class I was taking. It made some good points and I definitely took away some concrete ideas to implement as a manager. But I'd rather spend my spare time reading fiction.
Adam
Jan 27, 2012 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Helped me realize that I do not thank people when I do not believe I deserve the praise or the gift. The authors should have kept anything to do with George Bernard Shaw out of book.
Kelsey
Sometimes, a little extra effort in listening and learning how to encourage others can make an incredible difference. Why simply live day to day when you can make a difference?
Angela
Sep 07, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides insight and tools to encourage others to perform their best by authentic motivation (as opposed to incentives). Good Read!
Meghanly
Nov 30, 2011 Meghanly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book for my Assistant Principal's Preparation course. Great practical suggestions integrated with the philosophical.
Heather
Nov 12, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
We all need encouragement, yet we desire it in different ways. This book has 150 different ways to encourage those in your life.
Beth
Aug 17, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in leadership books. The individual is acknowledged, encouraged and becomes a valuable part of community.
Kari
Nov 06, 2008 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was required to read this book for work. There were a few good stories in it, but overall it was cheesy.
Mikkee
Jun 18, 2012 Mikkee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different take on leadership. It was refreshing to look at encouraging your staff as who they are.
Dustin Bagby
Jul 27, 2013 Dustin Bagby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some helpful wisdom and ideas for encouraging those you work with.
Alvin
Mar 09, 2012 Alvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tell people thank you. Guess we all need reminders.
Shonna Froebel
Reviewed for library newsletter.
Very interesting
Adam Gossman
Mar 18, 2012 Adam Gossman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amazingly encouraging
Wai-kit Ng
Not bad. Practical advice.
Sathya
Cierra
Cierra marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Exploring Leadership: For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Leading Without Power: Finding Hope in Serving Community
  • The Call of Service
  • Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • 1001 Ways to Energize Employees
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest