Start by marking “All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)” as Want to Read:
All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)

All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows #8)

He s at the end of his rope until fate casts a lifeline.

Cambridge Fellows Mysteries, Book 8

The Great War is over. Freed from a prisoner of war camp and back at St. Bride s College, Orlando Coppersmith is discovering what those years have cost. All he holds dear including his beloved Jonty Stewart, lost in combat.

A commission to investigate a young officer s disappearance g
Published February 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing (first published January 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about All Lessons Learned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Lessons Learned

Sophia
The author warns that this is a three hankie book, but the reader will have something to make it worth while. And yes, that was a nearly accurate assessment. I used up two tissues and I ended up grinning from ear to ear at a few points.

This was an amazing look into the lives of the boys and men who came home and the part of them they left behind on those battlefields. It was a fine telling of post-WWI through the lives of those who decorated this series throughout. It's not easy and its not hear
Edina Rose
It is with a bit of sadness that I say goodbye to the Drs, to Jonty and Orlando. I will reference this book as "celebrating love". The sonnets are wonderful. The epilogue is perfect. Even in their eighties, the difference between the two characters is still very clear: Jonty's levitas against Orlando's gravitas. I liked that.

I've read many MM romance series and this is one of the best. One thing I really liked was how much the characters grew (and the relationship with them) without ever being
Elizabeth H.
Wonderful! Worth the wait. For me, the first half of the book is stronger than the second half, but both are excellent. I could have done without the Epilogue, though I understand why the author inserted it. The parallels of the plotline through the first half were intriguing and ultimately had me thinking the author was very clever indeed. Eventually, there were some confusions for me along the way, due perhaps to an excess of cleverness...or perhaps because I read the book in two sittings when ...more
Cameluta
Jan 01, 2013 Cameluta rated it it was amazing
This book was so heartbreaking! Usually I cry at the end of a book (I admit ... I am a wimp) but in this case I cried for the first 10-15% of the book at every other page. Ms. Cochrane did such a wonderful job in portraying the post WW1 life: the loss of the loved ones, the copping with what soldiers did, saw or in some cases they didn't do in combat, the struggle to live again, to put back together the broken pieces. This book wasn't at all about mystery (even if I have to admit that I had no c ...more
Erastes
Mar 14, 2011 Erastes rated it really liked it
I was expecting to have my heart put through the wringer with this book, and I wasn’t wrong. Charlie Cochrane warns, without too many spoilers that it’s a “three hanky read” and she’s not wrong. So if you aren’t a fan of angst, then stay away! There are hints in the blurb about the outcome, so don’t despair.

It is a brave thing that Cochrane does to build up characters and relationships over seven books only to tear it all down in the eighth–but it’s entirely right to do so because of the setting
Bookbee
My word, but I feel like I've been through the wringer! For me, this is the best book of the series, even though the mystery aspect is not as pervasive as in previous books. (I must qualify that statement by saying that there is a 9th book pending, which may alter that.)

I love these characters so much! Watching them grow and mature has been sheer pleasure. Through all of their changes, Jonty and Orlando remain absolutely true and recognizable.

The first half of this book is gut-wrenching and, I f
Elisa Rolle
I was dreading to read this chapter in the Cambridge Fellows Mysteries, because it was the one I was expecting and at the same time I didn’t want to happen. For the last few books I was counting the years, 1906, 1907, 1908… it was like an ominous dripping towards those dreadful 1914 and the IWW. From the like Orlando and Jonty, it was obvious they wouldn’t step back, and the IWW was such a bloodbath, more like men sent to the slaughter than a noble war, and these fellows can only play with honor ...more
Lady*M
An amazing book. If I could have, I would have given it even higher rating.

Oh, I agree that the mystery was riddled with coincidences. However, having heard numerous stories from another great war from my grandfather, I know things like these and much more unbelievable have happened in the world ravaged by the war. The mystery was not the focus of the story, anyway, but people broken by the war, unlike any previous in the history, as well as influenza epidemic that followed, broken dreams, famil
Plainbrownwrapper
Nov 29, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
Must not reveal plot.....must not spoiler plot....must restrain self.....

I may have to go back and change my rating on the first book in this series from 4 stars to 5, in order to honor the quality of the series as a whole. The books are sentimental and sometimes sappy, with mystery plots that sometimes fall prey to either unbelievable coincidences or logic failures. I don't care. I once said about an Amy Lane book that some books make you want to pick apart every flaw you find, while other book
Suze
Jun 09, 2016 Suze rated it really liked it
4.5*
There is about a 10 year jump from the previous book and there has been lots of personnel changes. The Great War has been and gone (view spoiler)
So many teary eyes in these first chapters. Orlando's despair is palpable and heart wrenching.
But then he gets a commissionto to get his teeth into - memories are still evoked but he soldiers on, meeting new people and reconnecting with old friends.
But there is also the mystery of
Heather
Aug 11, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This was definitely the most emotional entry in the series so far. Recovering from the war, dealing with loss, trying to return to "normal" life, and a mystery that seems to embody all those elements as well. Definitely a multi-hankie read. Not much I can say about this one other than it plays havoc on your heart, even pretty much knowing what the outcome will be from the very beginning. A true example of how the greatness of a story isn't always in where it ends but the getting there. I'm eager ...more
Matthew Vandrew
Nov 24, 2011 Matthew Vandrew rated it really liked it
And so another wonderful series ends... The beginning is very upsetting - we knew Jonty's gone, but Mrs. Stewart? No way. She's immortal! I'm glad at least Ariadne Peters (I mean, Sheridan) is still there.
Yes, there are too many concidences. It makes you want to stop paying attention to the case Orlando is on and focus solely on his storyline.
Other than that? No dislikes. Charlie Cochrane did a wonderful job in taking us to the post-war times, when most things had changed. And yet, Orlando's an
Tamela
Devastating!! I'm actually surprised that Orlando lasted as long as he did. I thought he'd have gone over the edge after such horrendous losses.

I love Jonty but he should have just remembered one thing... check the facts, get the proof BEFORE jumping to the wrong conclusions.

I also found the lose of so many of the characters very hard to deal with as they were such an integral part of many of the stories. Let's see how things move forward :)

Recommended.
===================================
1st rea
Annelise Lestrange
Jun 21, 2012 Annelise Lestrange rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m, historical
I cried a lot during the begining.

(view spoiler)

It was a beautiful book and I probably won't rea
Melanie
Jan 06, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing

Rating: 5 stars

Intense, heartrending and moving. WWI comes to the Cambridge Fellows and nothing will ever be the same. The best book in a series of remarkable stories. Tissues required!

Read my full review here http://wp.me/p220KL-13k review to be posted March 2, 2013.

One of Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Best Series.

visit my website for more reviews of books from this author and the rest of the series.

Marcel Downing
Aug 08, 2011 Marcel Downing rated it it was amazing
These are a very sweet but angsty read. Cochrane really does give the reader the idea that her two main characters love one another but have to keep things a bit hidden because of the time they live in. I really enjoyed these books. Not as much sex in them. Graphic sex I should say but still, the sex scenes were believable and nice.
Nan Hawthorne
Sep 16, 2011 Nan Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq
A amginificently craafted novel of pain and redemption.. anyone who has followed jonty and orlando through all eight books will be terrified to read this book.. with good reason. It captures the cataclysm of the war to end all wars in the microcosm of two beloved charaacters' lives. Just beautifully done.
This was the most painful but also uplifting and beautiful book in the series so far. I was in tears by the end. I will sorely miss Jonty's parents. I look forward to the next book; I know I will love it.
Stevie Carroll
Jan 18, 2012 Stevie Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another stunning installment in the Cambridge Fellows series, and yes I did sniffle at times. Some sad losses, but also some welcome returns for other characters. Not to mention more than we've ever discovered before about The College Nextdoor. I even loved the epilogue, and that's unusual for me.
Kinga
Jul 29, 2011 Kinga rated it it was amazing
Chris
Feb 12, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical m/m mystery/romance that takes place ten years after the seventh book, after the Great War. I cried quite a bit during this one, which I'm pretty sure is the last book. But rest assured that there's a happy ending, copious tears notwithstanding.
Kat
Feb 23, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
OMG that made me cry... a three hankie read? Make it ten... *sniffles*

Misty
Feb 24, 2013 Misty rated it liked it

** 3.5 Stars **
Susinok
Beautiful book, and I am happy that it is no longer the last in the series.
Mara Ismine
Oct 23, 2011 Mara Ismine rated it it was amazing
This is the one I was dreading. Orlando alone after the Great War trying to rebuild his life in Cambridge. Such potential for angst. I had my tissues ready and used them!
Anna Zand
Sep 29, 2013 Anna Zand rated it it was amazing
This is the best in the series! Th rest are all fun, light hearted, quick reads; this one deals with serious events and themes and is definitely a tear jerker with a shocking twist.
Linda-Grace
Aug 30, 2014 Linda-Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My boys.
Mark Stine
Mark Stine rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Woodleigh
Woodleigh rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • This Rough Magic (A Shot in the Dark, #1)
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • A Private Gentleman
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Willing Flesh (Inspector Raft Mystery, #1)
  • Lover's Knot
  • Downtime
  • Mere Mortals
  • His Heart's Obsession
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Convincing Leopold (London Legal, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
Because Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice—like managing a rugby team—she writes. Her mystery novels include the Edwardian era Cambridge Fellows series, series, and the contemporary Best Corpse for the Job. Multi-published, she has titles with Carina, Samhain, Riptide and Bold Strokes, among others.

A member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, Mystery People a
More about Charlie Cochrane...

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)