Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads

Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ellen Forney's follow-up to her wildly successful I Love Led Zeppelin is a collection of cartoons celebrating the sometimes stunningly crude, sometimes surprisingly sweet online world of personal classifieds. Forney has for several years been illustrating the Seattle alt-weekly The Stranger's "Lustlab" classified ads by interpreting the most interesting, outrageous, or idi...more
Published January 30th 2008 by Fantagraphics Books

jess
Oct 15, 2008 jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pervs & comics lovers
Shelves: 2008, graphic-novels
I have long had a fascination with personal ads in the back of the free weekly in cities across the country. The ads that veer towards the sexy and weird are always my favorite. I read them over and over, and imagine the person who placed the ad, and who might answer it, and how that meet-up might go. The allure comes partly from the fantasy of it -- these ads are about things someone *wishes* for, not their experience or reality. Ok, so our fantasty lives are interesting enough.

And here, Ellen...more
Jennie
Since I'm completely addicted to personals ads and The Stranger, this is the perfect coffee table book for me. The ads express a wide variety of desires ranging from funny to interesting, shocking, sexy and disturbing. Forney's drawings are extremely creative and lend a whimsical element to a scandalous subject matter.
Vince
I love the way Ellen portrays sex... very fun, non-threatening and quirky.
dejah_thoris
With an introduction by Dan Savage and a few chapters of interviews with select beneficiaries of Ellen's work, LUST starts off with an intellectual bang. Finally, you get to hear a few of the voices behind those creative personal ads in the Seattle Stranger LustLab. But that's not all. I learned that this project began on an ad-by-ad basis where one ad a week was featured in the Stranger using Forney's talent to enhance it. Unfortunately, these efforts didn't always work, as one interviewee ackn...more
Becca Becca
I kinda wish the interviews had come at the end of the book because they were a bit of a buzz-kill. I found the illustrations/personals charming, witty, funny, creative, etc., but they were partially tainted by all the interviews I had just read, which were much more depressing (at least in my opinion).

I must admit I could not stop reading the interviews, they were extremely intriguing, but I ended up feeling sort of depressed for the people being interviewed.
Mark Desrosiers
The ads range from piping hot to squirm-inducing, but Forney's sense of composition and visual wit is damn near perfect every time. From the clever (and presumably unauthorized) usage of Curious George, Chewbacca, and Oscar the Grouch to the helpful diagram of a Sybian, to that roll of toilet paper on page... what page was it again? ... just lusty and hilarious throughout.

Oh, and the dildo endpapers totally rule.
Jenni
The interviews at the front of the book really set the wrong tone for this thing: total snooze (all but one). Once the cartoons from the personal ads kicked in, it was at least moderately interesting. I guess I expected something kind of erotic or sexy, but I'm pretty sure Chaucer has more shock value. A quick read and a nice surprise for the prim-and-proper crowd, but English majors need not bother.
Aida Manduley
Aug 15, 2010 Aida Manduley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in sexuality, personal ads, dating culture, and kink
Shelves: own
Fantastic art, and fantastic choice of ads. The beginning also has a bunch of interviews that were a pleasure to read. There are definitely gems of thought in there. I also really enjoyed this book because it didn't hypersexualize/overfetishize its subjects, just let them speak for themselves instead of sensationalizing them as "wow, look at these freaks!"
Coffeeboss
Graphic, yes (in more ways than one, since it is a comic... har har!), but these illustrations of selected Lust Lab personal ads from The Stranger are playful, fun, and positive. There are also a few interviews of people and couples who have placed ads, which are very illuminating, and often amusing.
Karen Lindenberg
I love the graphics, and I loved the interviews. But maybe it should have been one or the other? Or could have benefited from a bit more background all together. Overall, the whole package of the book was quite confused in its structuring.
Jay
Mar 18, 2008 Jay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are thirty going on thirteen
I enjoyed Forney's illustrations immensely, but the interviews with people who submitted personal ads were repetitive and not as insightful as you'd (meaning I'd) think. Very creative visuals, but the text repeatedly killed the energy.
Marie
Mar 24, 2009 Marie added it
"Surprised by people and their desires -- this graphic novel opened my eyes to a world I did not know was out there. It's fun to read with girlfriends, drinks and lots of laughing."
Will
Clever comics of The Stranger's Lustlab postings. Also, a few interviews into people's sexaulity/private lives through their online profile. Fun and illuminating.
Milo Miller
Sep 22, 2008 Milo Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horny folks, people interested in good illustration, pervs
WOW! This is the hottest thing that I've read in a really long time. Awesome multi-gendered tales of sex in Seattle, plus great illustrations.
Lana
Just a collection of personal ads that were converted to a cartoon form. It was mostly cute. A coffee table book. Or something.
Stephanie
Not for the chaste or easily shocked. For anyone who has enjoyed reading The Stranger's personal ads :)
Kelley
The beginning was interesting, but then it devolved into quick sketch-ads that weren't very meaty. No fun!
jillbertini
Collection of Ellen Forney's illustration of personal ads placed in The Stranger's Lustlab.
Michelle
Too wordy. Interesting to browse through. Comics are ok. Just sorta eh.
Hayden
Why is the author of this book listed as Dan Savage? Very mysterious.
Mary
Forney's drawings are fantastic. Enjoyable little read.
Nat Smith
boring. not innovative or interesting takes on ads at all.
Ian
The Stranger rules.
Alex
Fun, eye opening.
Stacey Jones
Stacey Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Dianne Meryl
Dianne Meryl marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
202782
Ellen Forney grew up in Philadelphia and has lived in Seattle since 1989. She has been a professional cartoonist/ illustrator since 1992, and also sometimes paints, and dabbles in other artsy pursuits. She teaches Comics at Seattles Cornish College of the Arts. She drives a silver 1968 Mercury Cougar.
More about Ellen Forney...
Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me I Love Led Zeppelin Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection I Was Seven in '75 Majareta: Manía, Depresión, Miguel Ángel, y yo