Start by marking “The Scarlet Ibis: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Ibis: Poems

The Scarlet Ibis: Poems

In The Scarlet Ibis, Susan Hahn has created an intricately structured sequence of interlinked poems centered around the single compelling image of the ibis. The resonance of this image grows through each section of the book as Hahn skillfully employs theme and variation, counterpoint and mirroring techniques. The ibis first appears as part of an illusion, the disappearing ...more
Published March 21st 2007 by Northwestern University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Ibis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Ibis

Alison DeWindt
Jun 23, 2017 Alison DeWindt rated it it was amazing
My niece read this wonderful book in AP English and enthusiastically recommended it to me. I agree with her that it is extraordinary - fabulous images, brilliant use of metaphor and highly original. I in turn recommend it to all readers of really smart poetry.
Seth Bowden
May 08, 2017 Seth Bowden rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by my favorite poet -- original and brilliant!!
Howard Kellerman
Sep 17, 2016 Howard Kellerman rated it it was amazing
The most original poetry collection I have read in years. I rate it 5 stars right along with the (other) best poets of recent times!
Jennn
Oct 01, 2008 Jennn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Susan Hahn
Shelves: poetry
I am a fan of "Self/Pity", so I was excited to read "The Scarlet Ibis".

I must admit it isn't as strong as "Self/Pity", but I still liked the first two parts: "Bird" and "Lady", although I didn't really enjoy "Bird and Lady" (more on that later).

I liked the mirroring poems of the magician tricks using (abusing?) the bird and the woman. I thought that it was a fresh idea and in a unique style. The interweaving of all of it was interesting (Ibis, bird, Thoth, woman, wound, feather, guide, death), b
Booker
Sep 05, 2011 Booker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Hahn breaks the collection into three sections, Bird, Lady, and Bird and Lady. As I've been reading quite a few collections lately, this was one of the ones I could not put down. And, I reread a number of them. Susan Hahn's explores the ideas of traps, magic tricks, and then the very nature of a poet's using a creature, the scarlet ibis, as a muse. The bird and lady have a dialog back and forth about who needs who and who is using whom. It is quite the exchange and one cannot help thinking of Ke ...more
Meghan
Mar 01, 2016 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Within this book, all of the poems are connected to each other, sharing similar metaphors and using the image of a bird, a lady, and magic. At the same time, Hahn's uses her poems to question metaphor . She addressed themes like illusion and death. Writing consecutive poetry like this is challenging, but Hahn did an excellent job writing so that each poem stands on its own and is still connected to a larger whole.
Charles Blake
May 18, 2016 Charles Blake rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary book of poems - as original as any I have ever read. A lesson in the use of metaphor! Genius!
Robert Singer
Jul 18, 2014 Robert Singer rated it it was amazing
This is a unique, extraordinary book. There is nothing like it. Sheer genius!
Shane Sutton
Oh i hate this book because i thought that the book would have more meaning to it
Mary Calhoun
Nov 26, 2016 Mary Calhoun rated it it was amazing
Susan Hahn is my favorite contemporary poet and The Scarlet Ibis is original and brilliant!
Mathilde Pedersen
Oct 11, 2014 Mathilde Pedersen rated it it was amazing
This a totally original book of pure genius. This is a brilliant poet who has written something beyond special!
Jadeness
Oct 18, 2008 Jadeness rated it really liked it
Sally Wilson
Nov 06, 2015 Sally Wilson rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! One of the most original books of poetry I have ever read. An extraordinary story with extraordinary use of metaphor - like nothing I have ever seen. This will become a classic.
Philippa Hale
Oct 07, 2016 Philippa Hale rated it it was amazing
Rates a place among the classics -- original and brilliant!
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
What can I say. I gave it a shot.
Jennifer Roth
Apr 30, 2016 Jennifer Roth rated it it was amazing
One of the most original books of poetry I have ever read. Brilliant!
Marti Zimmer
Nov 25, 2014 Marti Zimmer rated it it was amazing
Most amazing poetry book I have ever read. Wow!
May 28, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
what a wordsmith
Jordan Burnett
Apr 09, 2016 Jordan Burnett rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite book of poetry. Susan Hahn tells an extraordinary story, using metaphor as well as I have ever read. Highly recommend this work of genius.
Steven Felicelli
Steven Felicelli rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Susan Grabow
Susan Grabow rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2008
Rebecca Edgar.
Rebecca Edgar. rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Carrien
Carrien rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Herb Jensen
Herb Jensen rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Anton Kovalev
Anton Kovalev rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Book Lustre
Book Lustre rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016