Start by marking “Front Porch Tales: Warm Hearted Stories of Family, Faith, Laughter and Love” as Want to Read:
Front Porch Tales: Warm Hearted Stories of Family, Faith, Laughter and Love

Front Porch Tales: Warm Hearted Stories of Family, Faith, Laughter and Love (Porch Talk series #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  750 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Wisdom and Humor from the Front Porch

Master storyteller Philip Gulley shares tender and hilarious real-life moments that capture the important truths of everyday life.

When Philip Gulley began writing newsletter essays for the twelve members of his Quaker meeting in Indiana, he had no idea one of them would find its way to radio commentator Paul Harvey Jr. and be read on th
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Front Porch Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Porch Tales

Jeff
Feb 23, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, fiction
This review is from my blog:

This is a delightful book. I heard about Philip Gulley from Tom Mullen, who was a speaker at a Writers Conference I attended last month. Mullen is a retired English professor and a Quaker. I laughed so hard at Mullenâs presentation that I decided I had to read Gulley and Iâm glad I did. Iâd never known any Quaker humorous beforehand. I always through they cherished quietness and that laughing would be a sin or something. The only Quaker joke Iâve known was Richard Ni
Marvin
Sep 24, 2012 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting and could relate to many of his tales. I would like to have know him personally to share may like expereinces. Since early adulthood I've always had difficulty with pastors/ministers being a paid vocation. He comes across as being very truthful with his experiences with his flocks which I admire.
Good country folksy reading.
Hydrangea
Mar 13, 2014 Hydrangea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
My dear sister was most thoughtful in gifting this lovely book to me. Thank you, I needed it! The book is full of 2-3 page heartwarming stories with a dash of humor, relevant points of reference, and always concluding with a sweet inspirational learning. A few biblical mentions sprinkled throughout the book, but not in every story. I didn't find it preachy or like someone trying to convert me or scold me. I felt more inclined to know about The Quaker philosophy later because the author seems lik ...more
Kathy Robbins
Dec 15, 2011 Kathy Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to take a break from reading high-brow theology, so I grabbed this book from my list of books to read for a nice change. It was a delightful change. Actually, I picked this one up from Goodwill, which is a great place to buy books.

Philip Gulley is a Quaker Pastor with a fine sense of humor that he draws upon in this menagerie of true stories from his life. He grew up in the days where people actually sat on their front porches and conversed with each other. His stories reflect this fact.

D
Le
May 13, 2016 Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I love this author! Philip Gulley writes with poignancy and wisdom and a perfect sense of tongue-in-cheek humor. Many times I laughed straight out loud as I became acquainted with the wonderful characters in this series about a Quaker pastor and his "flock" in the village of Harmony. Growing up in a small town, I understood and delighted in all the nuances of small-town living. I now own every book Mr. Gulley has written and I've enjoyed them all so much, I can't pick a favorite.
Beth
Jan 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I noticed this author in Greg's list of books he had read and enjoyed. It sounded familiar, and I noticed I actually had a copy of "Front Porch Tales", but didn't remember reading it. Picked it up and didn't put it back down again until I was finished (I tend to do that - nothing else might get done in my house, but at least it was a quick read!) I was looking for something to recommend for my mother-in-law, who is in rehab. I took this to her, and she agreed it was perfect! She could read a qui ...more
Allan67
Mar 05, 2016 Allan67 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another book that I read to my wife. This is one of the things that we can do together now - she has always loved to be read to and I enjoy reading to her.

This is a 'feel good' book. It is made up of stories, happy stories, of people who were Mr. Gulley's neighbors as he grew up.

We gave it five stars. It was easy to read and it was a fun read.
Book Concierge
Gulley is a Quaker minister who lives in a small town in Indiana. I love his humorous novels set in the small town of Harmony (starting with Home to Harmony). This, however, is nonfiction – a collection of essays on life, love, community and faith. I appreciate the way Gulley draws from the small experiences in life. I suspect his sermons would be much like conversing with a neighbor on a front porch, sharing lessons learned over the years. This little volume, like much of Gulley’s writing, insp ...more
Deann Doolittle
Mar 01, 2016 Deann Doolittle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all his fiction books, now I'm starting on his other books. Loved this book of short stories. Almost want to call them devotions because each one had a little bit of a life lesson at the end. Definitely a good read.
Dianne
Jan 23, 2016 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, Inspirational blurbs on life lesson learned by the author. Some of his ideas I really connected with and others not so much, but this was good food for thought in small doses.
Diane Wachter
Philip Gulley, PB-B @ 1997, 10/00. A Quaker minister writing stories of family, faith, laughter and love. Christian inspirational. Good.
Sandra Kaleuati
Good short stories. Fast reading.
JoNel
May 25, 2015 JoNel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart warming stories
Judy
Nov 02, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of the Harmony novels, but I don't think that I've reviewed them. I must have read them before I got on goodreads.com. Hometown Tales is a collection of reflections on kindness, peace, joy, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I need much help in all of these areas. Most of the essays are two or three pages and serve as a reminder that while most people are essentially good, we can all use a reminder that there is vast room for improvement.
Carol
May 27, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this gentle and uplifting book over the weekend. It was like sitting down with an old friend on my front porch with a glass of tea, sharing life. I found myself chuckling and reading snippets of the book to my husband. This book provided some lightness and practical faith application which is what I needed if you note the books I've been reading lately. It was a breath of fresh air.
Devonne West
If you want a feel-good book that will make you laugh, you have picked the right one. With each down-to-earth story he tells, you get a sense of decency and common sense. The world was good when there were front porches where people gathered and visited. It begs the question - did the world change after the front porches got smaller and less inviting or vice versa.
Duane
May 03, 2010 Duane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple book that has treasures of stories and thoughts. The author does a great job of retelling small stories from his childhood that showcase the simpler thing in life and the treasures we all need to learn. Newer stories talk about family life, simple observations, and church life, but yet never get "preachy". A great book to sit down and read in one sitting.
Monica
Growing up in a small town, this book takes me back to a simpler time and values that my grandmother inspired. Remember being excited going to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream cone? Now my kids want a blizzard or it's not a treat. Front Porch Tales are simple recollections and devotions about how God wants us to live contentedly.

Love, LOVE, LOVE!!!!
Sara
Jul 08, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short, easy read. The stories have good messages, but I wasn't impressed with the writing. I think he writes like he talks, but I kept wishing for a strong editor to help clean it up and make it flow better for the page. The stories all have good moral backbones, but some of them were a little too saccharine for my taste.
Patsy
Jun 22, 2016 Patsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny and gentle life lessons. Good enough to purchase for my home bookshelf.
Prudie Wray
Aug 09, 2008 Prudie Wray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phil was my pastor at a Quaker meeting I used to attend. These stories are a collection of a lot of what I heard there. He writes and reminds me of a sort of Garrison Keillor. Even if you have never met Phil, you feel as if you have known him all your life....or wish you did! You'll love anything he writes.
Lola
Jul 03, 2014 Lola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable read. Short stories, or more
like short articles which are heartwarming & humorous.
It would be a nice coffee table book because you can
begin reading a story & finish in minutes. So you
can pick it up at any time--even when you don't have
much time to read.
Melanie
Jan 10, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I thoroughly enjoyed this read! Phillip Gulley is a Quaker minister who really has some great insight into people and life. This is a collection of short stories, all of which are humorous, poignant, and delightful. Made me feel as if I was sitting in a porch swing out in the countryside.
Shannon
I love this book. Initially, I listed it under "Christian story/devotional/inspiration," but then I added it to "Writing," because Philip Gulley's use of metaphor is wonderful. I often refer to this book when teaching writing workshops. Such an enjoyable read--one of my favorites.
Danielle
I enjoyed this book-it is written in very short chapters/stories of several pages. A great inroduction to his style and charm but not the best of his work. I love the Harmony series that Gulley writes and would highly recommend those books especially if you enjoy the tone of this book.
Ashley
Jan 24, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already being familiar with Gulley's "Harmony" books, I was excited to find this copy of Front Porch Tales in a resale shop. His warm, down to earth style of writing coupled with his poignant observations on family and life growing up in a small town make for a refreshing read.
Valerie Orrick
May 14, 2014 Valerie Orrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
funny, yet inspirational read. loved every page. borrowed this and plan to buy it and others of his. EXPECT A BLESSING!!
Andrea
Dec 04, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, very quick read. Just mostly random life observations. Most are quite funny. I especially like the one where he said his wife handcuffed their infant son to him so he wouldn't leave him again then proceed to say, "Honey, I trust you." Good, light read.
EJ Johnson
Jan 15, 2009 EJ Johnson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to EJ by: Nancy
Gulley's tales were ruined for my by his exaggerated, negative comments. They were meant to be funny but detracted from the good of the stories. This book was handed to me. I'm not sad I read it but I'm really glad I didn't put any effort into getting it.
Pattyb
May 14, 2012 Pattyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Gulley is a Quaker minister from Danville, IN, and I love his books! Some of them are short little homilies, and very funny to read. His writing really reminds me of The Andy Griffith Show. This particular one is about his childhood.
  • A Can of Peas
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Velma Still Cooks in Leeway
  • Anyway: The Paradoxical Commandments: Finding Personal Meaning in a Crazy World
  • 40 Days to Lasting Change: An AHA Challenge
  • Finding Unauthorized Faith in Harry Potter
  • Just Hand Over the Chocolate and No One Will Get Hurt
  • The Girard Reader
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...

Porch Talk series (4 books)
  • Porch Talk: Stories of Decency, Common Sense, and Other Endangered Species (Porch Talk series, #1)
  • Hometown Tales: Recollections of Kindness, Peace and Joy (Porch Talk series, #3)
  • For Everything a Season: Simple Musings on Living Well (Porch Talk series, #4)

“Two thousand years ago, a church elder named Peter wrote the recipe for community. “Above all else,” he wrote, “hold unfailing your love for one another, since love covers a multitude of sins” (1 Peter 4:8). That means when you love a person, you occasionally have to turn a blind eye toward their shortcomings.” 3 likes
“Community is a beautiful thing; sometimes it even heals us and makes us better than we would otherwise be.” 2 likes