Start by marking “Front Porch Tales” as Want to Read:
Front Porch Tales

Front Porch Tales (Porch Talk series #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Wisdom and Humor from the Front Porch

Master storyteller Philip Gulley shares tender and hilarious real-life moments that capture the important truths of everyday life.

When Philip Gulley began writing newsletter essays for the twelve members of his Quaker meeting in Indiana, he had no idea one of them would find its way to radio commentator Paul Harvey Jr. and be read on th
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Front Porch Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Porch Tales

Marvin
I found this book very interesting and could relate to many of his tales. I would like to have know him personally to share may like expereinces. Since early adulthood I've always had difficulty with pastors/ministers being a paid vocation. He comes across as being very truthful with his experiences with his flocks which I admire.
Good country folksy reading.
Christina
My dear sister was most thoughtful in gifting this lovely book to me. Thank you, I needed it! The book is full of 2-3 page heartwarming stories with a dash of humor, relevant points of reference, and always concluding with a sweet inspirational learning. A few biblical mentions sprinkled throughout the book, but not in every story. I didn't find it preachy or like someone trying to convert me or scold me. I felt more inclined to know about The Quaker philosophy later because the author seems lik ...more
Kathy Robbins
I had to take a break from reading high-brow theology, so I grabbed this book from my list of books to read for a nice change. It was a delightful change. Actually, I picked this one up from Goodwill, which is a great place to buy books.

Philip Gulley is a Quaker Pastor with a fine sense of humor that he draws upon in this menagerie of true stories from his life. He grew up in the days where people actually sat on their front porches and conversed with each other. His stories reflect this fact.

D
Beth
I noticed this author in Greg's list of books he had read and enjoyed. It sounded familiar, and I noticed I actually had a copy of "Front Porch Tales", but didn't remember reading it. Picked it up and didn't put it back down again until I was finished (I tend to do that - nothing else might get done in my house, but at least it was a quick read!) I was looking for something to recommend for my mother-in-law, who is in rehab. I took this to her, and she agreed it was perfect! She could read a qui ...more
Book Concierge
Gulley is a Quaker minister who lives in a small town in Indiana. I love his humorous novels set in the small town of Harmony (starting with Home to Harmony). This, however, is nonfiction – a collection of essays on life, love, community and faith. I appreciate the way Gulley draws from the small experiences in life. I suspect his sermons would be much like conversing with a neighbor on a front porch, sharing lessons learned over the years. This little volume, like much of Gulley’s writing, insp ...more
Judy
I've read several of the Harmony novels, but I don't think that I've reviewed them. I must have read them before I got on goodreads.com. Hometown Tales is a collection of reflections on kindness, peace, joy, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I need much help in all of these areas. Most of the essays are two or three pages and serve as a reminder that while most people are essentially good, we can all use a reminder that there is vast room for improvement.
Carol
I read this gentle and uplifting book over the weekend. It was like sitting down with an old friend on my front porch with a glass of tea, sharing life. I found myself chuckling and reading snippets of the book to my husband. This book provided some lightness and practical faith application which is what I needed if you note the books I've been reading lately. It was a breath of fresh air.
Duane
A simple book that has treasures of stories and thoughts. The author does a great job of retelling small stories from his childhood that showcase the simpler thing in life and the treasures we all need to learn. Newer stories talk about family life, simple observations, and church life, but yet never get "preachy". A great book to sit down and read in one sitting.
Monica
Growing up in a small town, this book takes me back to a simpler time and values that my grandmother inspired. Remember being excited going to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream cone? Now my kids want a blizzard or it's not a treat. Front Porch Tales are simple recollections and devotions about how God wants us to live contentedly.

Love, LOVE, LOVE!!!!
Sara
Short, easy read. The stories have good messages, but I wasn't impressed with the writing. I think he writes like he talks, but I kept wishing for a strong editor to help clean it up and make it flow better for the page. The stories all have good moral backbones, but some of them were a little too saccharine for my taste.
Prudie Wray
Phil was my pastor at a Quaker meeting I used to attend. These stories are a collection of a lot of what I heard there. He writes and reminds me of a sort of Garrison Keillor. Even if you have never met Phil, you feel as if you have known him all your life....or wish you did! You'll love anything he writes.
Melanie
I thoroughly enjoyed this read! Phillip Gulley is a Quaker minister who really has some great insight into people and life. This is a collection of short stories, all of which are humorous, poignant, and delightful. Made me feel as if I was sitting in a porch swing out in the countryside.
Shannon
I love this book. Initially, I listed it under "Christian story/devotional/inspiration," but then I added it to "Writing," because Philip Gulley's use of metaphor is wonderful. I often refer to this book when teaching writing workshops. Such an enjoyable read--one of my favorites.
Danielle
I enjoyed this book-it is written in very short chapters/stories of several pages. A great inroduction to his style and charm but not the best of his work. I love the Harmony series that Gulley writes and would highly recommend those books especially if you enjoy the tone of this book.
Ashley
Already being familiar with Gulley's "Harmony" books, I was excited to find this copy of Front Porch Tales in a resale shop. His warm, down to earth style of writing coupled with his poignant observations on family and life growing up in a small town make for a refreshing read.
Valerie Orrick
funny, yet inspirational read. loved every page. borrowed this and plan to buy it and others of his. EXPECT A BLESSING!!
Andrea
Nice, very quick read. Just mostly random life observations. Most are quite funny. I especially like the one where he said his wife handcuffed their infant son to him so he wouldn't leave him again then proceed to say, "Honey, I trust you." Good, light read.
EJ Johnson
Jan 15, 2009 EJ Johnson rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to EJ by: Nancy
Gulley's tales were ruined for my by his exaggerated, negative comments. They were meant to be funny but detracted from the good of the stories. This book was handed to me. I'm not sad I read it but I'm really glad I didn't put any effort into getting it.
Pattyb
Phillip Gulley is a Quaker minister from Danville, IN, and I love his books! Some of them are short little homilies, and very funny to read. His writing really reminds me of The Andy Griffith Show. This particular one is about his childhood.
Pattyb
If you need to read a feel-good book along the lines of Lake Woebegone stories, this is the book for you. You'll be laughing out loud while you read this, but Gulley, a Quaker minister, also imparts lots of homespun wisdom in his stories.
Megan
This is one of my favorite books. It inspired me to love better, prefer hardships, and have joy and contentment in any circumstance. I am now rereading and memorizing some lines, which I never do. I recommend this book to anyone.
Kellylynn
Annoying stories. I just could not get into any of the stories. I actually could not finish this book. I think for me the all of these short stories were too short, no investment and no learning - If that is what was supposed to occur.
Mom
This book is filled with little stories from a Quaker minister who has a great sense of humor. It is not at all heavy or preachy. It made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Fun reading and easy to pick up and put down.
Sarah Billing
I loved this book. The last few pages, 173-174, describe how to pass on values, touched my heart. Life doesn't need to be so complicated and Philip Gulley hit this we great remedies. I recommend this book highly.
Julie
This book was warmhearted and funny. It made me nostalgic for my childhood days. We had such a strong sense of community and I knew all my neighbors. Like the author, I learned a lot from my neighbors.
Vera Hannaford
Jan 07, 2009 Vera Hannaford is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying this book even though I know little about Quakers and I'm not outwardly religious at all. Still, Gulley's tales of community and connections speak to my heart.
Jeanne
As I sat on my front porch reading "Front Porch Tales" I was not impressed. It is a compilation of feel good anecdotes that I found to be superficial. They did not make me feel good.
Pooch
Read in one sitting. Smiles in my heart and on my face. Folksy tales with Biblical implications. Author is an Indiana Quaker minister. Clever, humorous, wonderful gift for so many people.
Julie Kellis Browning
Read this book because author will speaking at Friends of the Library annual dinner. Author has intersting insight. Wouldn't normally pick a book with the religious references.
Jane
This book had wonderful insights as to what is important in life. The kind of values talked about in this book are the same values you would want to pass on to your children.
  • A Can of Peas
  • The Descent of the Dove
  • History in English Words
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • The Essential Mcluhan
  • The Girard Reader
  • The Journal of John Woolman
  • Representative Men: Seven Lectures
  • The Drama of Atheist Humanism
  • Philosophy of Religion: Thinking about Faith (Contours of Christian Philosophy)
  • Velma Still Cooks in Leeway
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • The Wisdom Books: Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Economy of Desire
  • The Divine Milieu
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)