Start by marking “Doctor Who: Heroes of Sontar” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Heroes of Sontar

Doctor Who: Heroes of Sontar (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #146)

Planet Samur was once a peaceful haven. Pilgrims journeyed across the seven galaxies to meditate in the courtyards of the vast Citadel that spanned its equator. It was Samur’s misfortune, however, to find itself situated on the furthermost frontier in the eternal war between the amoeboid Rutan Host and the belligerent, troll-like Sontarans…

Twenty years after detonating a b
Audio CD
Published April 30th 2011 by Big Finish Productions

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Michael Legge
Feb 16, 2012 Michael Legge rated it really liked it
Shame he dies in the end.
Jamie Revell
Nov 24, 2016 Jamie Revell rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-plays
This Fifth Doctor story features a Sontaran platoon trapped on a hostile planet with mysterious sealed orders. While I'd hesitate to describe the story as a comedy, there is a fair bit of humour in it, with the Sontarans coming in for ridicule (especially from Tegan). Indeed, it has to be said that there's more than a touch of Dad's Army about the platoon, even to the extent that a couple of catchphrases from that show make an appearance.

There is, in fairness, a sound reason why the platoon is m
Wendy
Oct 16, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 06, 2011 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it
Heroes of Sontar, by the reliable Alan Barnes, is the better story of the two. At first it seems a rather peculiar and not necessarily successful attempt at a humorous twist on the Sontarans, as a bunch of deadbeat veterans are sent on a mysterious mission to a planet deep in Rutan space. But this being Alan Barnes, all is not what it seems, and Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson in particular get some good moments as Tegan and Turlough as the Tardis team work out the awful truth behind the appar ...more
Yosef Shapiro
Jun 22, 2015 Yosef Shapiro rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, tv-shows
The Sontorans are featured for the first time in a Big Finish production. The author decided to make this group of Sontorans very dumb. Single minded and obsessed I can agree with . But, they were not this brainless in the original series that these audio adventures are based on .

As far as the TARDIS crew, Peter Davison is still true to his portrayal of 5. Mark Strickson does not sound at all like his younger self . I am not sure if he can't recreate the voice or is trying to go for something
Caz
Oct 25, 2012 Caz rated it really liked it
Five, Nyssa, Tegan and Turlogh encounter a bunch of unusually stupid Sontarans on a deserted planet which they later discover was carpet-bombed with virulent chemical agent in order to destroy a terrible foe.

It's a simple story, well told with lots of humour; Tegan actually didn't get on my nerves in this one, her one-liners at the expense of the short, potato-like warriors were fab.

This isn't one of my favourite TARDIS teams - I sometimes find it's one companion too many - and I tend to prefer
Maj
Jun 05, 2016 Maj rated it liked it
I listened to this one on a train so I'm afraid I might not have given it my full attention, as the weather was lovely and the sights pretty.
I do remember getting a bit grumpy about the Sontarans being treated as comic relief once again but of course that got its explanation later on.

Maybe one day I shall come back...revisit and re-evaluate. For now I pronounce it "good enough".
Bill Sweet
Feb 02, 2012 Bill Sweet rated it it was amazing
This audio was a lot of fun. With the big soundtrack, it's fun to imagine it as a classic episode with a big budget. Funny at times, and thrilling. I always had a great affection for Five, and it's awesome to have these new stories to listen to. And a better written story than some of those they got at the first go so many years ago
Steven
Dec 21, 2012 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
The Doctor takes his friends to the peaceful citadel planet, Samur. But they find it deserted. Suddenly, seven Sontarans arrive on a mission so secret, even they don't know it.
Debra Cook
Mar 12, 2013 Debra Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The Doctor, Tegan, Nyssa and Turlough land on a planet where Sontarian ship has crashed and all are trying to get off the planet.
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Dale Watts
Dale Watts rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Tony Sims-Novis
Tony Sims-Novis rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Jordan Shortman
Jordan Shortman rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
David
David rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2015
Björn Söderström
Björn Söderström rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Michal Zinowko
Michal Zinowko rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Cristian
Cristian rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Tom Mills
Tom Mills rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
John Stonecipher
John Stonecipher rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Nathan Friedl
Nathan Friedl rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Mikael Kuoppala
Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2013
David Milligan
David Milligan rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Ausir
Ausir rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Vworp! Vworp!
Vworp! Vworp! rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Alan Barnes is a British writer and editor, particularly noted for work in the field of cult film and television. Barnes served as the editor of Judge Dredd Megazine from 2001 until December 2005, during which time the title saw a considerable increase in the number of new strip pages. Among other strips, Barnes originally commissioned The Simping Detective. He also wrote a handful of Judge Dredd ...more
More about Alan Barnes...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 223 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time