Start by marking “The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy, #2)

The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  46 reviews

Miranda Tate and her closest friends have been let in on a powerful secret: their teachers are famous dead writers.

After a heroic first semester, Miranda's got Bard Academy's ghost faculty in her debt, a new boyfriend in hot basketball player Ryan Kent, and she's just turned in a paper about The Scarlet Letter that she's sure is A material. But when the Bard Queen Bee,

Published January 2nd 2007 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Letterman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Letterman

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyGoing Too Far by Jennifer EcholsThe Book of Luke by Jenny O'ConnellForget You by Jennifer EcholsSuch a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
MTV Publishing
21st out of 46 books — 188 voters
Shattered Souls by Mary LindseyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateDivergent by Veronica RothAngelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
2011 YA Books To Read
132nd out of 242 books — 192 voters

More lists with this book...

Morgan
Apr 07, 2009 Morgan is currently reading it
This book has a unique plot and is really funny. I like it a lot
Lady Entropy
What happened to this series?

Seriously, from an interesting, different, "breath of fresh air" characters concept, we suddenly fall painfully in horrid cliché territory.

Heathcliff, who wrestled Dracula in the previous book and held on his own, is overwhelmed by a physically unimposing character. The villain in the previous book returns when that should not be possible at all.

The truth is discovered way too easily, as the new villain is very conveniently dropping clues (literally). Also, his motiv
Sam
Sandra Strange
This series should be good, based on a really wild premise that includes lots of author-of-classics lore (Emily Bronte is the main villain, while Virginia Woolf and Ernest Hemingway figure widely). However, the unbelievable fantasy is tempered by the kinds of concerns and conversations that uninformed authors think teens actually have. The characterization is stereotypical and the plots go too far. Avoid the clever titles; the novels just aren't. PG13 rated, with talk about and skirting around s ...more
Jennifer Maloney
One huge downside of this book (that to me just smacks of poor writing), was that it spent the first chapter or two rehashing what went on in book one. These books aren't exactly long, so I'm not sure why a "previously on..." was needed. Reminded me of the Babysitters Club books where you'd basically have to skip the first part of every book because it rehashed everything each time. We get it. Stuff happened. We remember. Stop telling us what we've just read and get on with the new mystery alrea ...more
Jenni
Definitely an interesting idea--but there was so much junk in it, that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone--especially someone like me who can't start a book in a series without finishing it.
Patrizz
I thought I will not relate to the flow of the story of this book,because for one:I started reading the 2nd book firsthand without reading the 1st book T_T but my assumptions were all wrong because I really loved this book and I can relate to the flow because the author provides flashbacks and I loved the writing style.It's such a page-turner and it's a mystery-romance kind of read that any teenagers would love.Come to think of it!The characters in a book comes to life?How amazing would that be? ...more
Courtney
Jan 10, 2009 Courtney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Courtney by: Karin Perry
It was okay. Definitely a sequel. I was disappointed that it didn't have anything to do with The Scarlet Letter--a bit misleading.
Julie
Cute but so lightweight it nearly floated away.
Sophie
The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy) I just can't do this series anymore. The last book I thought was pretty mediocre with one bit at the end that kind of annoyed me, mostly because it had a negative feel towards people who committed suicide, but I got over it because I figured that wasn't intentional and I was just being sensitive. Trigger warning: talk of rape/attempted rape and suicide below.

But not even 26 pages in, I got that feeling again. The main character (Miranda) is with her boyfriend
Alex
At First Sight: Miranda Tate is back at Bard Academy for her second semester of sophomore year. Things should be good this time around, as she is now the official girlfriend of one Ryan Kent - the star of the basketball team, and one of the most popular guys at Bard. Miranda even has Ryan's jacket to prove it.

But Bard wouldn't be Bard if things were easy. First, people are speculating about how far Miranda went (or let Ryan go) to get the jacket. Miranda's nemesis Parker is trying to get her in
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

THE SCARLET LETTERMAN continues the adventures of Miranda Tate and her friends at Bard Academy. When WUTHERING HIGH ended, Miranda, Blade, Hana, and Samir had discovered that the faculty of the school for juvenile delinquents that the four of them attend are not just weirdos who like to torture kids on an island in the middle of nowhere. They're the ghosts of famous authors who died, mostly by their own hands, before their times.

Miranda and the oth
Karin
The Scarlet Letterman takes up where its prequel, Wuthering High, left off. Miranda returns to the Bard Academy for the second semester of school. In the first book, Miranda finds out that important/famous writers like Hemingway, Bronte, and H.S. Thompson are ghosts that happen to make up the staff at Bard Academy. Literary characters can cross dimensions and come into our world. Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights also makes an appearance as a possible love interest for Miranda. However, at the e ...more
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: Welcome back to Bard Academy!! I liked the Scarlett Letterman more than Wuthering High. I think its because we really get to know the characters better. We learn their little quirks and get to know them, really know them. This book starts out with Miranda and Ryan dating and Miranda still crushing a little bit on Heathcliff. It expands the story more and I can't wait to read the third book.

Overall: A definate read if you've read the first. Read in order. The books tie together nicel
Lauren
As much as this book KILLED me sometimes with how...juvenile the characters were, I have to admit that if I was in middle or high school it probably would have been less annoying. Regardless of that, though, I still love the premise and the literary allusions!
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
I’m really liking this series. I found myself thrown back into Miranda’s world and the weird but wonderful Bard Academy. The books are really clever - using a classic as a theme and incorporating it into the story yet keeping the story fresh and original. It was great fun to read and I enjoyed spending time with Miranda and her friends. I’m really looking forward to the third Moby Clique and hope more are published in this really addictive and brilliant series!
Anna
I read the first Bard Academy book a really long time ago, and just recently got to reading this one on a school break. I just don't feel like I liked this one as much as the first. Was it fast paced? Yes. Was it a good, unique storyline? Yes. Were the characters their same usual selves? Of course.

I don't know what it was, but I just did not enjoy this one as much as the first. I don't know if I will be picking up the next in the series.
Wisty
So fun and fast-paced! Nice action and full of twists and turns! I really enjoy this series.
Kayla
The Scarlet Letterman is my favorite book in the series. Now the initial character development is done, Cara Lockwood could have more fun with her characters (and others and their authors) while putting it all together in one fun plot line. I really enjoy the 'real world' connection to literary classics. Some of the author tidbits I picked up in this series actually helped me in my English class.
Renee
Jan 23, 2011 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down-literally. Two hours later, I had finished the second book in the Bard Academy series, which was even better than the first. It has a quick-paced story that somehow made unbelievable events seem perfectly natural in the context of a reality that seamlessly blends the fictional world with everyday life. A sweet, funny, and lightly suspenseful tale.
Jenna
I liked the end of this book more than I liked the first book. Without giving away any spoilers, I thought the resolution of the conflict was really interesting in this book. I hated Ryan. He's an ass and I don't get why Miranda likes him.

Also, something that drove me nuts - having characters named Blake and Blade in the same story is confusing!
Shaun
This book makes me want to read more! So this is the second book in the Bard Academy series and it's pretty interesting. A school where Charlotte Bronte is headmaster and William Blake is a crazy theology teacher? Awesome. It does make me want to run out and read Hemmingway and Woolf too, so this is good.
Reba
This series....well, here I am reading them, but something about them bothers me. I like the ideas, but it just never seems to come together. Can it be that they're not just that well written? (Much like this review?). Of course I'll read the next one, but I'm going to wait a week or two, give myself a breather.
Susan
Jan 01, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bookish teens, English majors, fans of blurred fiction/reality
I don't necessarily agree with everything that is said about Blake and "the Tyger," however most of it is spot on. I think these books are a great way to get teens interested in the classics though I really wish MTV would'nt publish books. I just think it looks bad.
Justin
Aug 06, 2011 Justin added it
This book was awesome. I am seriously loving this series and I feel really bad for Miranda in this book because everyone is bagging on her for stuff she never did. I hope Parker gets it in the next book because karma needs to knock her down a peg.
Stargazer
Much as I love the concept, it could be so much better than it is. Thought it might be a bit Jasper Ffforde for a younger audience with the dead literary giants and fictional characters, but it's not.
Jessie
Okay, this was so cute. I loved how Ryan was sort of a snob. I liked how Heatcliff got to stay in the end. It was a cute sequal to a nice story. I hated the sweatshirt stalker, it wasn't Heatcliff!
Brooke
Ok, ao I'm even more embarrassed that I read the sequel to Wuthering High! I just wanted to see if the girl gets the guy at the end. Dumb reason, I know. And it wasn't worth it either.
Rubie~
Lack of Heathcliff in the first half made the book kind of "meh" in the beginning. The book however does pick up near the end.

And Blade is a fricking hilarious character!!!
Delaney
This book was just as witty and interesting as the first in the series, and I am excited and hopeful (again) that this will continue.
  • Dudes, the School Is Haunted! (Rotten School, #7)
  • Branded (Orca Currents)
  • Reaction
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • Ariel
  • Zombiekins
  • Boy Trouble (The 310, #3)
  • Emmalee (The Jane Austen Diaries, #4)
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • The Upper Class (Upper Class, #1)
  • Bling Addiction (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #2)
  • Cop of the Year
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • Long Shot (Comeback Kids)
  • Lost Summer
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
I grew up in Mesquite, Texas, which for those of you who like livestock shows, is the home of the Mesquite Rodeo. Ironically, Mesquite was named after Mesquite trees, only none of them now exist in the city, which is about fifteen minutes east of Dallas. No, I don't own a pair of cowboy boots, although I do own quite an impressive collection of black shoes. My Dad is a third-generation Japanese-Am ...more
More about Cara Lockwood...

Bard Academy (4 books)
  • Wuthering High (Bard Academy, #1)
  • Moby Clique (Bard Academy, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Proms (Bard Academy, #4)
I Do -- But I Don't I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2) Wuthering High (Bard Academy, #1) Pink Slip Party Dixieland Sushi