Start by marking “The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers” as Want to Read:
The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,358 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Programmers who endure and succeed amidst swirling uncertainty and nonstop pressure share a common attribute: They care deeply about the practice of creating software. They treat it as a craft. They are professionals. In " The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers, " legendary software expert Robert C. Martin introduces the disciplines, techniques, to ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Clean Coder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clean Coder

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaClean Code by Robert C. MartinCode Complete by Steve McConnell
Essential Programming Books
18th out of 123 books — 327 voters
The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntClean Code by Robert C. MartinCode Complete by Steve McConnellRefactoring by Martin FowlerWorking Effectively with Legacy Code by Michael C. Feathers
Software Craftsmanship
7th out of 27 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikolay
May 03, 2013 Nikolay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Bob is again extreme and depicts a person, who is our asymptotical goal, not something anybody can achieve.

The super-human (a.k.a. The Clean Coder) is always responsible for her actions, can say No even in the toughest times and to the toughest managers and clients, sleeps at least 7 hours per day, spends 20 hours per week for her personal professional development, regularly does programming kata, does TDD 100% of the time, doesn't write features unless there are acceptance tests, doesn't
Sergey Teplyakov
Dec 27, 2015 Sergey Teplyakov rated it it was ok
There is a tons of similar books in the market. The most remarkable one is "Pragmatic Programmer" by Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas. Both books cover pretty similar set of topics -from design aspects to some specific practices. The main difference between them that "pragmatic programmer" covers broader set of topics and with much more depth.

I see few issues with "The Clean Coder":

1. Tons of useless stories from authors' personal life.
In most cases they're not that relevant to chapters' topic and alm
Richard
Sep 24, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
Mostly this book is pretty good. It's a series of anecdotes from the author's lifetime of working in the software industry. They are reminiscent of things you might see on thedailywtf, but they are followed up with an explanation of what the correct response to each situation would be. This actually makes the book more readable than the previous one in the series, which was much more technical. It also makes it rather harder to apply to one's own life. It's not just a matter of running down a ch ...more
Igal Tabachnik
May 29, 2011 Igal Tabachnik rated it really liked it
In popular culture, computer programmers, sometimes confused with sysadmins, are often described as teenage punks, sitting in a dark, lit only by the glow of their monitor, empty cartons of pizza and Mountain Dew bottles scattered strategically around, frantically hacking away on their keyboard.

What does it mean to be a professional programmer? Is it wearing a suit and tie to work? Is it having certifications or diplomas decorating the walls of your office? Is it working hard, sometimes overtim
Alejandro Teruel
Jul 30, 2015 Alejandro Teruel rated it really liked it
Shelves: computación, acm
Robert C. Martin (1952- ) has been programming professionally since 1970 but started making his mark as an exceptional software engineering practitioner and consultant once he started developing object-oriented software in the 1980s and later when he was amongst the Agile Manifesto signatories (2001), distilled part of his design experience into the five well-known SOLID principles (2003) and co-developed the acceptance testing framework FitNesse. He is also a much sought after and forceful keyn ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jun 11, 2011 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Yes, "The Clean Coder" is a sequel to Uncle Bob's "Clean Code." This is a great book and drills what being a professional developer really means as delivered by a well respected source.

The book is very readable and contains advice mixed with stories from the author's past and dialog. I like the use of dialog to show communication issues like saying "done" or over committing. Even the foreword was a story.

I think there was too much repetition of the stories across chapters. Almost like the chapte
Josh Hamacher
Jul 28, 2011 Josh Hamacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I tend to read at least one of these "how to be a more professional programmer" books every year. Historically they haven't impressed me. This one was the rare exception - it really spoke to me, for some reason.

Nothing in this book is truly new or unique. But Martin raised a lot of really good points and some things that I had never really put much thought into in the past all of a sudden clicked for me.

I guess it really boils down to presentation - Martin (for the most part) presented "the same
Adam Parkin
Jan 30, 2015 Adam Parkin rated it really liked it
Review also on my blog at: http://codependentcodr.blogspot.ca/20...

This book is largely a follow-up to Martin's other very well known book "Clean Code". Whereas that book focuses on the artifacts (code) we developers produce this book focuses on the developer his/herself. How should we as professional developers act? What is the difference between a commitment and estimate? What are our responsibilities? When can we say no & how do we do it? When are we obligated to say yes? How do we get be
Rod Hilton
Jun 13, 2011 Rod Hilton rated it it was amazing
Simply phenomenal. I liked this book so much that I literally read the entire thing in a single sitting in about 4 hours. I simply could not put it down.

I'm adding this book to my list of "absolute must-reads for programmers" right alongside The Pragmatic Programmer.

Uncle Bob's new book, The Clean Coder, is a perfect companion to Clean Code. Whereas Clean Code dealt specifically with how a professional programmer treats his or her code, The Clean Coder is more about how a professional programmer
Derek Verlee
Nov 24, 2011 Derek Verlee rated it really liked it
The word professional and its variants is thrown around a lot, especially "unprofessional". Uncle Bob has his opinions and doesn't mince words. Nevertheless I agree with him in most places and I recommend this book for anyone working in software developement (or management thereof). He does a good job in the important parts of giving perspective to support his advice. Goes on a bit more about TDD and some other pet prefrences/details then I think nessisary (there are other places to be get brow ...more
Marius Colacioiu
Feb 19, 2015 Marius Colacioiu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This book is a real treasure. Uncle Bob shares intimate stories, gists, from his early life as a software developer that drove him toward becoming a professional, the software craftsman he is today.

He describes the practices a software developer should aim to master in his professional life. He also set a clear bar on how much time a software developer should invest on a weekly basis.. to improve his skills (around 20 hours per week).

He is great at explaining delicate arguments, like how to get
Sergey Shishkin
Aug 14, 2012 Sergey Shishkin rated it it was amazing
There are several book I wish I'd read much earlier in my career. This book is one of those. Moreover than that with "Clean Coder" Robert Martin sets the standard for a book required for every software developer to read.

I first thought this book might be a repetition of the Clean Code repertoire but it wasn't. The book focuses on the attitudes and disciplines of professional developers and professionalism in general. Though the last chapters – Collaboration, Teams and Projects – came over as ver
Katy
Nov 30, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
A very quick and engaging read (at least for me), and I think every programmer who works in a professional setting should read this at least once. I will be re-reading it and making notes to try and apply in my own life. Some good advice; a lot of it is fairly common sense and there are parallels with the Pragmatic Programmer, but having things spelled out to you with solid examples goes a long way toward making this a practical and useful guide. Also, unlike the Pragmatic Programmer, it's more ...more
erjan avid reader
Mar 18, 2016 erjan avid reader rated it really liked it
i find that lots of recommendations in this book are hard to execute in a team.

Sure, it would be great to follow all along, but the truth and order of our industry say different things:
most so-called soft.engineers have not read any books at all similar to this one. So one may find himself alone trying to integrate these healthy practices in his team.

consider how many coders just write code, run & build once and mark it as "done"

Most don't even care about writing tests, let alone TDD. "when
William Anderson
Sep 18, 2014 William Anderson rated it really liked it
While perhaps too intense on the TDD chapters and with certain philosophies (He explicitly talks about remaining open to new ideas), overall it is in insightful look into one man's professional career and how he has established his professionalism through not only a code of conduct, but through practicies as well.
Eric Hogue
The Clean Coder is a very good book. Uncle Bob have a very strong opinion on how software should be developed. I don 19t agree with everything he says, but in general he makes good points.

One of the interesting things about the book is that it is full of stories taken from the career of the author. He show us how to become better developers by showing us some of his failures. Seeing how and why he failed can help us avoid some of these mistakes.

I wish I had this book earlier in my career, but I
Motaquillah Maddane
Apr 21, 2016 Motaquillah Maddane rated it it was amazing
This book teaches you what they don't teach you at school, it teachs you how to be a "Professional Developer". I should have read this book a long time ago. It's a must read book for every programmer.
Sandro Felipe
Jun 24, 2015 Sandro Felipe rated it it was amazing
A MUST-READ book, should be a topic at college for all those who wants to be a software developer, if you plan to be one, stop what you're doing right now and start read this book.
Mateus Gomes
Feb 11, 2015 Mateus Gomes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
O livro que TODO programador deveria ler. Me identifiquei com diversos cases, me abriu os olhos para muita coisa. Excelente!
Jean Tessier
Apr 22, 2016 Jean Tessier rated it liked it
Shelves: software
I really liked Uncle Bob's Clean Code, and I thought this would be aimed in the same direction of how to produce code in a way that is enjoyable. But it has more to do with Uncle Bob's vision of software engineering as a profession. He presents the attitudes and behaviors that he feels are part of a professional software engineer's ethos.

One important aspect deals with commitments. They form the basis of the relationship between engineer and client, whether the engineer is a consultant or an emp
Vladyslav
Mar 09, 2013 Vladyslav rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it, favorites
Wow.

Frankly I never heard about "Uncle Bob" before but the book hooked me from the first page and reads smoothly until the last one.
I completely agree with "Bob" that it is neither managers role nor business attitude to develop "clean code". And there will never be enough time to develop and test properly. It should not be "common approach" to exclude broken unit test to make a build and be ready for the the live demo in front of stockholders in one hour.

The professional behavior for the develop
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera
May 22, 2012 Pablo Olmos de Aguilera rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
As someone already said, it's common to find books that teach you something, a lot of books that can inspire you, but there are a few who does both things good enough.

What I really liked about this book is that its principles can be applied (and extended) to a lot of different areas, including my own: Medicine. It's not a dense book, and "Uncle Bob" has an amazing way to teach at the same time he is telling you a enjoyable experience.

The book is divided into 14 chapters, each one treating a diff
Dav
Jan 17, 2016 Dav rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. If you're starting a career as a programmer, you should read it the first year. You won't get much of it probably, or believe in its message, but hopefully it lays some foundation. Then read it again every 4 years as you gain actual experience. By the 3rd reading it will seem so obviously correct in its exhortations as to be almost trite, nearly every word.

Trust Uncle Bob.

Personally I liked the numerous anecdotes of coding life in the 70s, but I can
Evghenii
Feb 06, 2016 Evghenii rated it it was amazing
The book setting the standards for professional programmers.

Robert Martin expresses a very convincing view on how a professional should act in both social and technical aspects of his job. This view is backed by some bright examples that make it easy to understand and agree with the author.

This, aswel as the Clean Code(which comes first), is a must read for any programmer.
Daniel Nishi
Mar 08, 2015 Daniel Nishi rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
The Clean Coder is a very agile, TDD focused and dogmatic book. It reads very easily and shed some light on what it meant to be a professional software engineer to me, I did find myself at odds with some of the "my-way-or-the-highway" ideology that you often find with Bob Martin's books.

It was an easy and interesting read, though, and I felt it was of value to my career.
Ben Joseph
Aug 11, 2014 Ben Joseph rated it it was ok
About half way through I got really tired of reading "a Professional programmer does this and doesn't do that." There are some good parts of the book, like the kata exercises. However, overall it seems more like a criticism of the programming profession. Nobody's perfect. We programmers know we have faults. Stop rubbing them in our faces. If we were as "professional" as doctors maybe we'd make as much money as they do? I doubt it.
Gurkan Oluc
Dec 31, 2015 Gurkan Oluc rated it it was amazing
Such a book every junior / middle level software developer must read. I wish I read this 3 years ago.

Robert. C. Martin makes you go through pretty much all cases you might have in your professional life and explains which behaviour would make sense under which conditions. Believe me, learning those things by living is not a enjoyable experience.

If I had to sum-up the books in few items.

- Do. Or do not. There is no try.
- Try, means yes.
- Don't commit if you are not sure to deliver on time / bud
Glenn Burnside
Sep 01, 2011 Glenn Burnside rated it it was amazing
Every developer on my team is going to read this book. It's got very little to do with how to program, and a lot to do with how to be a professional software developer. The chapter on "How to say No" should be required reading for every entry-level developer around the world. His description of what it means to "be professional" as a developer will likely scrape across the nerves of every coder under the age of 30, especially if they envision themselves as bohemian freelancers, masters of their ...more
Plantcore
Feb 27, 2016 Plantcore rated it liked it
Funny software development anecdotes and some good insights into time management and communicating estimates. But it's quite repetitive and some of his strongly stated opinions seem a little bit crazy. Like looking at some tweets if you feel you are slipping into a flow state..
Andreas
May 11, 2013 Andreas rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, favorites
A brilliant book about professional behavior as a programmer. It gives hints about how to divide your time, how late hours are counter productive, how one gives more reliable estimates and a lot more.
It lists several benefits of different programming techniques (Pair Programming, TDD).

It is, however, not at all focused on the code itself. If you are interested in the code side of being a professional, you should probably lead Roberts other book: Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsman
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • The RSpec Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Cecil Martin, commonly called Uncle Bob, is a software engineer, advocate of Agile development methods, and President of Object Mentor Inc. Martin and his team of software consultants use Object-Oriented Design, Patterns, UML, Agile Methodologies, and eXtreme Programming with worldwide clients.

He was Editor in Chief of the C++ Report from 1996 to 1999. He is a featured speaker at internatio
More about Robert C. Martin...

“Slaves are not allowed to say no. Laborers may be hesitant to say no. But
professionals are expected to say no. Indeed, good managers crave someone who
has the guts to say no. It’s the only way you can really get anything done.”
8 likes
“What would happen if you allowed a bug to slip through a module, and it cost
your company $10,000? The nonprofessional would shrug his shoulders, say
“stuff happens,” and start writing the next module. The professional would
write the company a check for $10,000!”
4 likes