Hard Row

Hard Row (Deborah Knott #13)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,455 ratings  ·  108 reviews
As Judge Deborah Knott presides over a case involving a barroom brawl, it becomes clear that deep resentments over race, class, and illegal immigration are simmering just below the surface in the countryside. An early spring sun has begun to shine like a blessing on the fertile fields of North Carolina, but along with the seeds sprouting in the thawing soil, violence is gr...more
Published August 22nd 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

Patty
Deborah and Dwight are dealing with being both newlyweds and full-time parents while both are trying to keep up with very challenging jobs. When stray body parts start showing up all over Colleton County Dwight is chasing leads and Deborah is trying to help while not getting in the way of the investigations.

There are at least three different stories running through this story as well as another two or three as subtext. It is that layering and weaving together of lives in and around crime and pun...more
Julie
This is the first book in he series which I have come across. It was a quick and enjoyable read and I will certainly pick up more in this series. Deborah is a judge and a newlywed who has just become a full time step mom as a result if the unfortunate death of her new husbands ex-wife. She is faced with issues related to racism , sexism, and poor work environments
Of Foreign farm workers. Her position as a judge puts her in contact with many of the same people her husband encounters in his role a...more
Bob
After "The Flanders Panel" I needed a fun read. Maron never disappoints, especially for me who was born and raised within 25 miles of the mythical Colleton county, North Carolina, where Maron sets her Deborah Knott mysteries. This one is typical, far more interested in relationships than with the murder mystery. By relationships, I mean the whole gamut: with her husband, with her stepson, with her enormous family, with her coterie of lifelong friends, with her colleagues,even race relations.

Whe...more
Joyce Lagow
Mutilated body parts from the hacked up torso of a white male appear on the back roads of Colleton County, North Carolina. An intense search is initiated for the identity of the victim and of the killer.[return][return]The plot line in this, the 13th of the Judge Deborah Knott series, is almost straight police procedural involving Knott's newly wed husband, Doug Bryant, head of the Colleton County Sheriff's detective department. Deborah becomes involved since the victim and his wife appeared in...more
A.
I think this book was pretty good; I mean, most of Maron's are, because she's a good writer and she knows Deborah Knott's part of North Carolina like the back of her hand, but early on in the pages of this, I was blind-sided by a secondary, minor character who appears in Deborah Knott's courtroom and that pretty much overshadowed the rest of the book for me.

My aunt's best friend was a woman named Linda Allred. Linda taught psychology at ECU, treated me like an adult even when I was a self-center...more
LJ
HARD ROW (Mystery-Police Proc-Deborah Knott-North Carolina-Cont) – VG
Maron, Margaret – 13th in series
Warner Books, 2007, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 044658433
First Sentence: El Toro Negro sits net to an abandoned tobacco warehouse a few feet inside the Dobbs city limits.
*** Judge Deborah Knot has a case before her dealing with race, class and illegal immigration. For her new husband, Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Bryant, tt starts with the discovery to two bare legs. Than a hand and, literally bit-by-bit, ot...more
Jocelyn
Time to catch up with Judge Deborah Knott. She has been very busy in the months since her marriage to the Colleton County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Dwight Bryant. In fact, the previous book in the series, together with the next three, cover the year after the wedding. Wow. Lots of people get murdered before their first anniversary. But Margaret Maron has a winning formula, so who's counting?

Among the ingredients: A bright professional woman in a healthy relationship with a good-looking, capable law...more
L.
I have somehow missed reading about Judge Deborah Knott up to this point. This is apparently the 13th book in the series. I'm debating whether I should add the series to my list of books to read. The prime motivator, besides being a generally good, character-driven story, is that I have family in the general area.

This one finds Deborah presiding over several interrelated cases: a domestic abuse case, a nasty divorce, and immigrant-worker issues. Her husband, Dwight, is the sheriff and has some i...more
Amylou1977
i need a new one when is the next one coming out?

As Judge Deborah Knott presides over a case involving a barroom brawl, it becomes clear that deep resentments over race, class, and illegal immigration are simmering just below the surface in the North Carolina countryside. Soon after, a farmer known for his harsh treatment of migrant workers is found brutally murdered. The search for the killer leads Deborah and her new husband, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, into the desperate realm of undocume...more
Kathleen Hagen
A Hard Row, by Margaret Maron. A. Rented from Recorded Books.
A visit with Judge Deborah Knott and her family. There is a murder and a mystery to be solved here. Body parts start appearing, but no one has been declared missing. Deborah and Dwight work together to determine whose body it is. And of course then work out who the murderer is. This book is mainly about environmental issues caused by the raising of tobacco and the sprays used for crops, and the poor standard of living of most of the un...more
John
I was truly disappointed a couple of books ago when the point-of-view shifted from solely Deborah's first-person to third-person-omniscient (rotating viewpoints). Maron got a pass on the last book owing to the plot that threw Dwight and Deborah together in the same dangerous situation, so I wasn't too bothered. This book confirmed what I'd feared would happen to the series: Dwight goes off fighting crime, while Deborah comments every so often, from her new role as working wife and step-mother. I...more
Hope
If you're looking for a cozy, (a character driven mystery story that focuses on the people involved as much as the mystery) look no further. I'm glad I listened to the audiobook version. It's slow pace is well suited to being told, rather than read.

When I read it I thought it was the first in the series. Come to find out, it's the 13th. Oops. Originally, I was willing to forgive some of the slowness as setting the scene - but by book 13, the scene is already well set. The writing is okay, and t...more
Nikki
Feb 01, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, appreciators of the South
Shelves: mysteries, just-read
Margaret Maron's first novel in the Judge Deborah Knott series, BOOTLEGGER'S DAUGHTER, won the Edgar for Best First Novel, and the series just keeps getting better. With the Judge's marriage to a sheriff's deputy, elements of the police procedural creep in to the amateur sleuth format, and it's a good addition. Ms. Maron is also not afraid to tackle the various social problems of the New South (not that they aren't problems elsewhere, but North Carolina is where her books are set). In this one,...more
Allison
I listened to the audio version of this book. Its been years since I've read one of the Deborah Knott mysteries, but I liked this one. The plot involved several social issues including harsh treatment of immigrant farm workers, domestic violence and eldercare. I also enjoyed the backstory of Deborah's large extended family and her father's efforts to keep the younger generations tied to the family's land. Having lived in North Carolina for several years, I was amused by Deborah's reference to Ca...more
Caitlin
When I started this book, I wasn't sure how much I would really enjoy it. However, I was pleasantly surprised.
As the new, expanded Bryant-Knott family gets settled in, Dwight is pulled away to deal with a pair of legs that were found in a ditch. It only gets more morose as other body parts are found...and not all from the same person. Meanwhile, Deborah is balancing a tough divorce ED while learning how to mother Calvin (and discovering her own love of hockey). This book touches upon the tricky...more
Deb
Okay, for light reading. I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, so this just didn't do it for me!
Ruth
I loved this book. The plot turned unexpectedly, all the while taking me back to the Good Ol' North State, my birth state. Loved how Margaret Maron blends the Carolina style into everything from hockey and home, food and family, dialect and characters. I especially loved her character, Dr. Linda Allred, who in real life, is my late sister. Margaret Maron truly captured my late sister's personality on paper. "Hard Row" is a very good read, all the way to the end.
Kilian Metcalf
Oct 16, 2013 Kilian Metcalf rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kilian by: Mary Ronan Drew
The real Margaret Maron escaped from wherever she was being held captive while the previous book was published without her and has come roaring back in strength. This is one of her best yet. A tight, well-designed mystery, and lots of character development for Deborah. This isn't a spoiler, only my best guess: I'm thinking Deborah is going to be hearing the patter of little feet soon or dealing with the ticking of her biological clock. Just sayin'
Pete Loveday
I enjoyed the 'folksy' style of this book and had to remind myself that in fact it was a police procedural mystery. The story was interesting, if not gripping, and the characters were believable and yet challenging. The geographical setting fascinated me and I became more interested in the farming techniques and the many characters that flowed through the story, than in the development of the solving of the murder.
a pleasant read.
Readnponder
Margaret Maron writes contemporary cozy mysteries set in North Carolina. Her protagonist is Deborah Knott, a district court judge. She offers local color as well as local issues. "Hard Row" deals with the complexities of undocumented farm laborers. The book gives you the fun of trying to figure out the mystery, plus some insight into a current problem. I liked it so much, I am now on my third Margaret Maron mystery.
Beth
I think Maron was trying a bit too hard with this one--she attempted to address the exploitation of undocumented farm workers, environmental hazards and damage in agriculture, and the changing US economy (through the microcosym of a Southern rural area) while simultaneously craft a murder mystery with lots of grisly descriptions of body parts. Too much for one book, I felt, although some of it worked pretty well.
Diana
Judge Deborah Knott is aware of the strange happenings in her county. Body parts are found at different locations causing speculation of a serial killer. As her husband, Deputy Dwight Bryant, investigates the cases, Deborah adds some of her findings to the case. The treatment of foreign farm workers, illegal immigrants, and the results of unsafe use of farm chemicals are also part of this story.
Jamie Brooks
I only picked this up because I was waiting for my books to come into the Library and I had nothing new to read. My mom let me borrow this. I usually hate when I read a series out of order, but this was really easy to follow and got me up to speed pretty fast.I didn't expect much from this book because I had never heard of it before, but it was a solid story with a good climax. I enjoyed it.
Jenness
this is my third Deborah Knott mystery. Deborah and her entire family are enjoyable characters and seem like neighbors. The mystery in each one is just an added bonus. Deborah and her new husband, who just happens to be the Sheriff, complement each other very well and add that touch of romance every book needs. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the "lighter" mysteries.
Marti
As the books go on in time and more of her family and all her friends and now the husband and the stepson show up, I am enjoying the books more. To me the murder mystery part is fine, but it is all about the people and then interactions. As much as some parts are soooo southern (food, etc) some parts are so universal for any regional part of the country.
Martha
Another easy-to-read series with likable characters. I've just discovered this author and am enjoying learning about these down-to-earth folks from "my neck of the woods" in NC. I like the fact that the central character, Judge Deborah Knott, is intuitive and smart but isn't contrived to always solve the murder by bending the law. Just a good, solid read.
I've read all of Mrs. Maron's works. She's from Willow Spring and she's a great storyteller. Her books are mysteries too. Start with Bootlegger's Daughter and go all the way through to the above. The series follows the happenings of a North Carolina judge in her personal and professional life, and she's the daughter of a bootlegger.
Just arrived from USA through BM.

This is the story of Judge Deborah Knott and her husband Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant. They work together in order to solve the mystery of body parts found in different parts of the countryside.

This story is interesting though not bring any great element of suspense.
Andrea
Reminiscent of the Kate Shugak series, firmly rooted in a particular locale, with a wide cast of characters, and a sense of community and relationships that is more important than the mystery being solved. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series and getting to know Deborah's extended family.
Emily
My mom lent me this book. I haven't read any others in this series (Deborah Knott), but I will be seeking them out. Enjoy that it's set in NC. Like the characters, though I suppose some plot points (relationships, promotions mentioned) will be spoilers if I read earlier books in the series.
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)
  • MacPherson's Lament (Elizabeth MacPherson, #7)
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #25)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • The Plain Old Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #6)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres...more
More about Margaret Maron...
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4) Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)