Start by marking “Floors” as Want to Read:
Floors

Floors (Floors #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  3,174 Ratings  ·  400 Reviews
Charlie had his chocolate factory. Stanley Yelnats had his holes. Leo has the wacky, amazing Whippet Hotel.

The Whippet Hotel is a strange place full of strange and mysterious people. Each floor has its own quirks and secrets. Leo should know most of them - he is the maintenance man's son, after all. But a whole lot more mystery gets thrown his way when a series of cryptic
Published September 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

Marcus Reeves
Mar 28, 2013 Marcus Reeves rated it it was amazing
IT WAS soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...more
Heidi
Mar 06, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
I was intrigued by a middle grade book with ducks as significant characters. I also usually like the little mystery-type books. And the plot was mostly interesting. I had a hard time seeing a whole lot of significance to all of the things the main character had to do, but they were somewhat entertaining. And, really, I don't think his demonstrations of bravery really merited the end result for someone of his age. Let's be at least a little realistic. But maybe I was just bugged because the book ...more
Elena
I didn't finish this book because I absolutely COULD NOT STAND the person reading it in the audio version!! My first grader would be more pleasant to listen to!! I actually listened to most of it, and did enjoy the story line, kind of whimsical & very creative. But the audio version ruined it for me. I'm not even going to rate it, I'm too mad. By all means give it a try...but read it, DO NOT GET THE AUDIO VERSION! (did I make my point clear enough?)

P.S. In fairness to Jesse Bernstein (the na
Makai_teixeira
This was a very interesting book
Felix Raeber
Oct 26, 2016 Felix Raeber rated it it was amazing
I think Floors by Patrick Carman is a great book about a boy named Leo and he has a lot of adventures in a mysterious and wacky hotel. Even ducks are there! Leo brings a duck named Betty on his adventures while the headmaster of the hotel is gone. Leo has found many things. At the hotel, there are keys which can open doors.

I recommend this book to people who like adventure and mysterious books. In this book there is a lot of adventure because he opens a lot of rooms where no one has ever been. H
Suz
Oct 15, 2011 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya-kid-lit
Imagine what would happen if Willie Wonka invented a hotel? That's what the Whippet Hotel reminds me of - a duck pond on the roof, secret rooms, crazy elevators, robots named Blop - it seems like something Wonka would make. Leo and his dad live in the hotel, working as the maintenance staff to keep things running smoothly. But when the owner disappears and hasn't been seen for over 100 days, things begin to unravel. Read along to find out if Leo and his dad can keep the hotel put together and di ...more
Kristen
May 09, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook-reads
This is a great book for anyone who loved Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library. This story has the same elements--whimsy, adventure, and all around fun. Floors takes place in a hotel instead of a library, and instead of a treasure hunt to escape, this one is more of a treasure hunt to save the hotel...and there are ducks, which are pretty awesome. I didn't love this one QUITE as much as Mr. Lemoncello--maybe because I'm a big old library nerd--but still a fantastic adventure.
Bookphile
Jan 26, 2012 Bookphile rated it really liked it
In my quest to make a reader out of my eight-year-old daughter, I've taken to reading a lot of children's books with her. My experience have, in general, been kind of hit or miss. Sometimes I really like something, but she doesn't. Others, she likes them and I don't. It's always a good feeling when we find a book that bridges that gap, one that both parent and child can enjoy. Floors is one such book. There will be a few spoilers in this review.

There is a lot about Floors to recommend it, but I
Lana
Apr 11, 2014 Lana rated it it was amazing
My favorite book, this is definitely it. 272 pages of imagination. Leo lives in the Whippet Hotel and he's the maintenance man along with his father. The Whippet Hotel, however, is unlike many hotels you may have visited. Each room is full of surprises, each with an unbelievable theme. From the robot room with actual robots to an entire room made of cake, this hotel exceeds the standards. Leo, having worked at the hotel for years, soon finds an odd box in the elevator for him. Little does he kno ...more
Bailey Baxter
Sep 05, 2016 Bailey Baxter rated it really liked it
Leo Fillmore is the janitor’s son at the wacky Whippet Hotel. But his relatively routine life of helping his widowed dad with maintenance tasks and walking the hotel’s resident ducks is unexpectedly interrupted when four mysterious boxes are left for him. He follows the clues to discover hidden floors, fanciful rooms, and even an unexpected friendship. But Leo soon realizes that the fate of the Whippet Hotel rests in his hands. Will he solve the mystery in time?

“Floors” is an entertaining, fanci
Athen
Jan 20, 2015 Athen rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. It is about a boy named Leo who lives with his Dad and they are matinence men for The Whippet, the wackiest hotel in New York City. The Whippet hotel was built by Merganzer Whippet who has mysteriously disappeared for the last one hundred days. One day Leo was walking Merganzer's ducks when he found a mysterious purple box in the duck elevator with his name on it. Leo goes on a journey to find more of these boxes and the secret floors of the Whippet to save the hotel he ...more
Laurel
Jul 29, 2015 Laurel rated it it was amazing
I bought this one for my daughter because she loved the Land of Elyon series. But, between Goddess Girls and Percy Jackson she is busy at the moment, so I picked it up. I loved it! It was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, just as crazy, but more real at the same time. I loved all the wacky floors, loved the boxes, I even loved the ducks. Patrick Carman has become one of my favorite children's book authors. The worlds he creates are so interesting, exciting and beautiful. Now I really want ...more
Allison Hawn
Jun 29, 2014 Allison Hawn rated it really liked it
Floors by Patrick Carman is a cute little adventure.

With strange rooms, almost magical puzzles and ducks galore the main character, Leo, must follow the instructions of the missing owner to save his home, his job and the entire hotel.

Very reminiscent of Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," Carman takes readers through possibly the most bizarre hotel in the history of the written word.

This would be a great read for anyone between the ages of 7 and 14. Fans of "A Series of Unfortun
Lisa
Jun 28, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, ala, arc
I just finished an Advance Reading Copy of Floors, and I really enjoyed it. It's action-packed and full of wackiness. The main character is 10-year-old Leo. Along with his new friend Remi and Betty the duck, Leo follows clues and riddles on an adventure to save the zany Whippet Hotel. I think this book would appeal to fans of Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Sachar). It shares many elements with The Mysterious Benedict Society and with The Westing Game, but is lighter and less complex than ...more
Nathan
Nov 03, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it
The way they that they set the serrownding is a mazing from the rooms are cinedu like a dumenchul door. The book is like more of an avencher therowe the hotel if your going to reed the Ceres then keep in mind the hotel is shaped like a rowbot. Perlite much it seems like a good series so I recumened this book to any buty that likes avancher.
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Quirky and fun, a good MG book.

Filled with ducks, a crazy hotel, and queer occupants, Leo and his friend will traverse the strange Whippet Hotel to find the clues left by the eccentric owner.

Think Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium meets Quantum Conundrum.

It was a okay book and I will be continuing the series though I'm not sure about re-reads.
Dorcas
Mar 07, 2013 Dorcas rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book!! A fun read from start to finish made me wish I could go back and read it as a 10 or 11 year old so I could really believe in all the fun and fantasy the book contains!!(less)
Tomiko
Sep 06, 2013 Tomiko rated it it was ok
I see a lot of reviewers comparing this with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It has the same type of story line and quirky situations but generally it feels very derivative and unnecessarily non-sensical.
Adelaide
Oct 11, 2014 Adelaide rated it really liked it
Read this easy-read a few months ago, and I really liked the writer's style and all of the action happening throughout the book. However, it got a little confusing towards the end, with people showing up left and right.
But I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a funny, thrilling book!
Jennette
Jan 23, 2014 Jennette rated it really liked it
with so many floor theres adventure where ever you turn!!!!this book is awesome i would tottally recomend this book to kids with imagenations!!!!
Nicole Dykeman
Feb 04, 2015 Nicole Dykeman rated it liked it
This was a cute book. It reminded me a LOT of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Jeff
Aug 02, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Fine. It was fine.
Jenn
Mar 31, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it
Whimsical, adventurous, and fun! A perfect read for middle-school ages who love fantasy.
Sandi Willis
Feb 20, 2017 Sandi Willis rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting book. I had never read a book like this before. This is a book about a wonderful hotel that has rooms that are very unusual. One is like a pinball machine, another is a cake room, while another one is a train room. I would have loved to stay at this hotel! This would be a fun vacation! This was a fun, and lighthearted book, and I enjoyed it immensely!
Emily P.
Nov 10, 2016 Emily P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
SERIOUSLY. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. CAN'T. SAY. ENOUGH.
Marilyn Belsham
A book about a mystery in a quirky hotel that started out strong but began to feel like it was trying to make everything more extraordinary than the next that I tired of reading this to my son. Even he got a little tired in some of the rooms - flying farm room where the animals all have wings...? The mystery was ok. I'm pretty sure that my son didn't figure it out. It was ok, not amazing but the ending stands well on its own without the other two titles, which is nice.
Callie Rose Tyler
Oh where to begin...

While reading...

Comparing this to the masterpiece that is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...um no sorry

I'm trying to think of a redeemable quality and I'm lost. I am shocked by the high average rating because this book was utter garbage. It feels like it was written by a kid not for a kid. I am a firm believer that children's books should be held to the same standard as adult books and the quality of this book is lacking, it feels empty and thrown together.

First there's th
Lilly Chiddix
Oct 10, 2016 Lilly Chiddix rated it really liked it
This book is probably one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. It has lots of adventure, strange people and ducks. The main character is named Leo. He is the assistant maintenance man in the Whippet Hotel. (His dad is the head maintenance man.) The owner of the hotel mysteriously went missing as the guests became even stranger. Leo is on a mission trying to find more clues of where the owner is. He discovers more and more odd rooms in the hotel every day.
Robyn
Christmas Gift! Not what I expected. I've reread the synopsis and there was nothing in it to indicate that the building itself was magical, but somehow that's what I thought I was opening up, was a book about a magical hotel with suddenly appearing extra rooms and floors and such. Considering that what I anticipated was not what I got, this was really quite a nice book. I'd have removed the little spoiled rich 6 year old girl entirely, I don't feel that she added anything to the book except anno ...more
Grady
Nov 05, 2011 Grady rated it it was amazing
An Ascending Star in the Young Readers Books Department!

Patrick Carman from the Pacific Northwest region of the USA may be the next great creator of children's books. JK Rowling move over: there is now solid competition for the role of magician of children's literature in the ranks of J. R. R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis has arrived. Born on February 27th, 1966, in Salem, Oregon. Carman is a graduate of Willamette University with a degree in economics. He started out working in advertising, game desi
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • Aliens on Vacation (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #1)
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • The Wish Stealers
  • Fear Itself (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #2)
  • Mousenet
  • Nerd Camp (Nerd Camp  #1)
  • Stealing Magic (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #2)
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • Melonhead
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Tilting House
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
More about Patrick Carman...

Floors (3 books)
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)

“and green, a sign that whatever message Daisy was about to deliver was not a catastrophe. If a water main had burst or the air-conditioning” 0 likes
“scares that kid,” 0 likes