Start by marking “World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained” as Want to Read:
World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained

World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Taking a refreshing new approach toward understanding different faiths, World Religions looks at the beliefs and practices of many different religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and Islam. Explained through detailed annotation of sacred texts, religious artifacts, paintings, and architecture, this book will engage the whole famil ...more
Published February 20th 2006 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published March 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about World Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Religions

Andrew Obrigewitsch
I was really not impressed by this book. It throws out a bunch of facts without mentioning their relative importances, and in fact puts in things that are not important at all and leaves out important parts of religions.

This is mainly true of Eastern religions the western ones are not so poorly described.

But I'm going to describe Christianity the way the book describes Hinduism. "Christianity has a holy trinity of gods, the Holy Spirit, God and Jesus. Jesus was believed to have walked on water
Gregory
The book has great pictures and lots of color, but I found it lacking in actual information. I felt that is wasn't well organized (use terms pages before defining them, circular definitions, etc.). Also the information it does give is so general that you could have guessed it or it isn't very different then saying nothing at all.
Iv Modrić
The most simple little encyclopedia about religion there is.
Carrie L
This is an incredibly beautiful and accessible introduction to many of the world religions. I use it as a supplemental text for writing world religions papers for my seminary, and I am consistently impressed with the amount of detail Bowker has condensed into such a pretty package.
Ana
Mar 24, 2009 Ana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tania
I loved this book! I tried to find it online but they only sell it in paperback and it just was not the same.
Kris
lavishly illustrated, lots of info
Halcyon Westall
With big glossy pictures!!
Jason
Dec 11, 2008 Jason added it
Fascinating, and I should read it again soon
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Scott Richards
Scott Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Orangina
Orangina marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Rui Sequeira
Rui Sequeira marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
William Sherman
William Sherman marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jacob Candelaria
Jacob Candelaria marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kristina Moses
Kristina Moses marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Renata Teixeira
Renata Teixeira marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ben Williams
Ben Williams is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Meredith
Meredith is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
Sara Sinan
Sara Sinan marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kayra Ozalp
Kayra Ozalp marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • Lost History: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists
  • The Pancatantra
  • Art Through the Ages 2
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Writing Women's Worlds: Bedouin Stories
  • The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
God, a Brief History The Complete Bible Handbook: An Illustrated Companion The Oxford Dictionary Of World Religions Problems of Suffering in Religions of the World The Cambridge Illustrated History of Religions (Cambridge Illustrated Histories)