Start by marking “World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained” as Want to Read:
World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained

World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Taking a refreshing new approach toward understanding different faiths, World Religions looks at the beliefs and practices of many different religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and Islam. Explained through detailed annotation of sacred texts, religious artifacts, paintings, and architecture, this book will engage the whole famil ...more
Published February 20th 2006 by DK (first published March 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about World Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Religions

Andrew Obrigewitsch
I was really not impressed by this book. It throws out a bunch of facts without mentioning their relative importances, and in fact puts in things that are not important at all and leaves out important parts of religions.

This is mainly true of Eastern religions the western ones are not so poorly described.

But I'm going to describe Christianity the way the book describes Hinduism. "Christianity has a holy trinity of gods, the Holy Spirit, God and Jesus. Jesus was believed to have walked on water
WitchHaven Millay
Jul 14, 2015 WitchHaven Millay rated it it was amazing
This book is a plethora of information on many religions. It is well written and easy to understand. I bought this book and have let many borrow it with the same results. You can get much knowlegde from this read. I will read it again.

Namaste
Dani
Will Redd
May 13, 2016 Will Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entry into my Read Your Library list. Since I've been focusing on World History, religion was a natural inclusion since it has been one of the main drives behind humanity from the very beginning.

This book is a nice overview of the more recognizable religions of the world, starting with the ancient religions such as the Greek, Egyptian, and Celtic traditions, and moving on through time to cover Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and even touching on smaller native religions
Alie Margaret Carter
Sep 11, 2015 Alie Margaret Carter rated it it was ok
Shelves: school, religion
This is the required text for the World Religions class I'm taking at BYU. Although it gives a nice overview of many religions and provides colorful images (photos, pieces of religious art, etc.) to go along with the text, I find that it's lacking in substance--despite its dense, somewhat cluttered 9 point font text. I'd like a more in-depth explanation of each religion (including what everyday life might be like within the religion, history of the religion, the religion's beliefs about the afte ...more
Gregory
Feb 02, 2013 Gregory rated it it was ok
The book has great pictures and lots of color, but I found it lacking in actual information. I felt that is wasn't well organized (use terms pages before defining them, circular definitions, etc.). Also the information it does give is so general that you could have guessed it or it isn't very different then saying nothing at all.
Joy Barnett
Dec 05, 2015 Joy Barnett marked it as to-read
Name: Joy Barnett
Type: Almanac
Title: World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored and Explained
Call Number: RF. 200. BOW
Description: This almanac is organized by the religions of the world, for example Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Each entry explains the important aspects of the featured religion and features colored photographs or important events and artifacts.
Reviewed:
Masuchika, G. (1997). [Review of book World religions: The great faiths explored & explained]. Library Journal, 122(
Kacee Moreton
Aug 16, 2015 Kacee Moreton rated it it was amazing
Great book! A thorough history of religions from ancient Egyptian, Greek, Norse, Buddhism, and on down the line of Abrahamic. Very informative and especially liked the illustrations of symbols and their meanings.
Lara
Jan 20, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing
This book gave a great introduction to all religions. I especially loved the fabulous photos of all the implements used in the different religions. A lot of the time, though, the main photo on the page was placed right in the middle of the two pages, so you couldn't see the whole picture due to the binding in the middle. Other than that, this is a keeper for further reference.
Marie Gray
This book is an extremely user-friendly guide to understanding the differences, and similarities, between today's most practiced religions. As interesting as it is informative.
Larry Koester
Jun 16, 2016 Larry Koester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throwing facts around is fine with me on this topic. Spare me human opinion. Comparative religion is a whole other topic.
Iv Modrić
Nov 04, 2014 Iv Modrić rated it it was ok
The most simple little encyclopedia about religion there is.
Carrie L
Feb 04, 2013 Carrie L rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly beautiful and accessible introduction to many of the world religions. I use it as a supplemental text for writing world religions papers for my seminary, and I am consistently impressed with the amount of detail Bowker has condensed into such a pretty package.
Ana
Mar 24, 2009 Ana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tania
I loved this book! I tried to find it online but they only sell it in paperback and it just was not the same.
Kris
Jan 07, 2008 Kris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-the-best
lavishly illustrated, lots of info
Halcyon Westall
Apr 18, 2011 Halcyon Westall rated it really liked it
With big glossy pictures!!
Jason
Dec 11, 2008 Jason added it
Fascinating, and I should read it again soon
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Frank McCamant
Frank McCamant marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Sasha
Sasha added it
Aug 17, 2016
Guerrero Guerra
Guerrero Guerra rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Nicole Westen
Nicole Westen marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Marcos Ribeiro
Marcos Ribeiro rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Erin Kepka
Erin Kepka rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Cons
Cons is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Spices: A Global History
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • The Alhambra
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, a Concise History: Volume I: To 1740
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography