Start by marking “What Not to Wear: For Every Occasion” as Want to Read:
What Not to Wear: For Every Occasion

What Not to Wear: For Every Occasion

In What Not to Wear Susannah and Trinny established the rules for dressing to suit your body shape. While you now know which skirt to avoid and which dress length to wear, many women say they still don't know what to wear to certain occasions - a job interview, a hot date, a wedding, a school function, going on from work, or just running around. This book is occasion led. ...more
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2003 by George Weidenfeld & Nicholson

To ask other readers questions about What Not to Wear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Not to Wear

Sitha
Jan 08, 2008 Sitha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sitha by: Oprah Show
A helpful book that I had to leave it in Jakarta... *so sad*. I bought it accidentally :) when I saw some books in sale during my training trip in Singapore.

It gives valuable informations about appropriate outfits according to some conditions. Very helpful for me who at first did not know much about the right outfits for some moments in different seasons (winter, summer, etc).

Thank's to Oprah Show that introduced me to this book and these two authors.
Lisa
Feb 14, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can see why people say What You Wear Can Change Your Life and What Not to Wear are said to be the two books you should read and this book isn't very recommended. It doesn't contain enough information about contemplating your shape and color and the fashion is both dated and European (while I'm American). Definitely not a must read.
Cindy
Apr 30, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is broken down by occasions which include the interview, work wear, work to play, school events, summer wedding, winter wedding, summer holiday, winter holiday, partying, and underwear (ok, not an occasion). If I was reading this book in 2003 when first published I would suggest this as a great resource, but the fashion suggested is dated. There is not any additional information presented that makes the book worthwhile.
Annie Garvey
Nov 21, 2016 Annie Garvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always liked watching this show on BBC America. I thought everything but the summer wedding still looked classic. The most important thing I learned from both the show and this book was to buy good underwear.
Lorraine Haataia PhD
Mar 11, 2011 Lorraine Haataia PhD rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
Interesting examples including side-by-side photos of what not to wear and what to wear to various events--I like the format with the explanations. Some of the styles may be more suitable to the UK than the US.
Malbadeen
Jun 21, 2007 Malbadeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary teachers
Dear colleagues (near and far) I implore you - set aside the thematic sweaters, think beyond elastic waist bands and remember you are a teacher not a laundry basket. This book may very well be the impetus you need.
Phyllis
Usually I have a judge not lest ye be judged attitude about fashion, but I think when you repeatedly push the pants under dress look as appropriate for any occasion you immediately forfeit your right to declare yourself an authority on what to wear.
Sara
Feb 04, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: makeup-fashion
Excuse the strange British fashion twists (odd wedding hats and dowdy skirts)--this book has wonderful before and after illustrations. Bookmark pages and lend this to a friend with a "whale tail" or "double bubble" problem.
Snow
Apr 17, 2008 Snow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
read for fun
Raquel
Jan 05, 2012 Raquel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recreación
Aparentemente es una reedicion del primero...no lo sabía
Carmen
Apr 19, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. These two gals are so entertaining and spot on with their advice. The photos are gorgeous, and the authors are stunning in before and after shots.
Marcella Abate
Feb 26, 2008 Marcella Abate rated it really liked it
A very good book to learn about fashion and about what suits u better. In fact, it's a guide that u should always keep close to u!
Joyfish01
This was a gift from my boys... very informative!
Alisha
Alisha rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Ken Wiltsee
Ken Wiltsee rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Intplibrarian
Intplibrarian rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2011
Priscila
Priscila rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2008
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Imperatrix Mundi
Imperatrix Mundi rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Bianca ღ
Bianca ღ rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2011
Dorthe
Dorthe rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Laurel Siler
Laurel Siler rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery
  • The Fundamentals of Fashion Design
  • Costume and Fashion: A Concise History
  • The Other Side of Desire: Four Journeys into the Far Realms of Lust and Longing
  • Schott's Sporting, Gaming, and Idling Miscellany
  • The Myth of Solid Ground: Earthquakes, Prediction, and the Fault Line Between Reason and Faith
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • مختارات الفانتازيا والميتافيزيقا: قصص ومقالات وأشعار
  • The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas
  • Becoming Human: Our Past, Present and Future
  • Conquest (The Conquest Trilogy #3)
  • Fear: A Cultural History
  • Ben Franklin's Almanac: Being a True Account of the Good Gentleman's Life
  • Allure: Confessions of a Beauty Editor
  • Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking
  • Spin Sisters: How the Women of the Media Sell Unhappiness --- and Liberalism --- to the Women of America
  • Tattooed Girl
Fashion advisor and designer, television presenter and author.
More about Trinny Woodall...