Start by marking “Charlie All Night” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  8,028 ratings  ·  360 reviews

Dumped by her boyfriend and demoted from WBBB's prime-time spot, radio producer Allie McGuffey has nowhere to go but up. She plans to make her comeback by turning temporary DJ Charlie Tenniel into a household name. And if he's willing to help cure her breakup blues with a rebound fling, that's an added bonus.
Charlie just wants to kick back, play good tunes and eat Chinese
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin Books (first published March 18th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie All Night

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Sep 03, 2014 Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lkay ❇✾The one-click buy button addict❇✾
4 STARS
This was recommended to my by my good friend, Lana... She must have read all 90s CR out there... lol

Anyway, this book was really what I was looking for, short, funny, and real dialogues along the way!
Willow Brook
I tried to give this 3 stars, but just couldn't. Crusie is one of my absolute favorites, but if this book hadn't been on my Kindle, I know I never would have finished it. It lacked Crusie's usual well-drawn characters, full of quirks and insecurities. It definitely lacked the fun and funny banter she is known for. The hero and heroine didn't have much chemistry whether they engaging in brand new lust or falling in love. Plus, they seemed to spend most of the story apart due to a silly "celibate ...more
A Well Read Woman (April)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That moment when you realize what the title of the book means...

Radio producer Allie has been dumped by her boyfriend, and demoted to the 10 pm - 2 am spot on the radio. When temporary DJ Charlie comes in, he awakens in her this go-getter attitude of making him famous, (and boosting her career in the process). What she wasn't expecting, was to fall in love... Too bad Charlie is only around for a short four weeks.

Charlie isn't interested in being famous. As a matter of fact he isn't even a real
Juliana
(3.5 stars) Charlie All Night is not my favorite Jennifer Crusie book and like a few of her other earlier ones feels more like a novella than a full-length novel. Regardless, it is an enjoyable read and very entertaining. The chemistry between Allie and Charlie is great and they have some fantastic dialogue, there are several humorous scenes, and the secondary characters are wonderful - especially Joe, Allie's gay roommate. All in all, the book is definitely worth checking out from the library ( ...more
Bree
I've enjoyed a few of the more recent Crusie books and have been checking out her backlist now that it is in eBook form. Unfortunately, I think she was still finding her way in her early books. What I enjoy about her more recent books is the realistic, humorous voice of her characters, primary and secondary. That humor is still in evidence here, but she's also trying to mix in suspense, and I think it results in just too much going on. As a result, character development suffers.

Allie is interest
Samantha

It got better when the radio show started, but it still didn't do it for me. I thought it wasn't plausible, which is hilarious, considering it's contemporary romance.

I've had better.
Jacob Proffitt
Wow. That was a nice upshift in quality. Still a 90s book (not even that late at 1996) but much closer to her 2000s in quality. I really liked both protagonists, not least because they fit so very well together (but maybe that's my crush on Charlie speaking). Crusie's strengths are all manifest here, if not in absolute top form, then at least firmly in their zone.

A note about Steamy: In the mid range with three explicit scenes of moderate length (and that third is a doozy). Not a lot of fooling
Marina
Well, I obviously didn't like that book. I do enjoy chick-lit, so it's not that I didn't know what I was getting into, but. But. What is this plot? I didn't like the main plot, which is their love-story but I'll get into this later... Because the "subplots" were even worst: 1) he, Charlie, is investigating some mystery, but I didn't understand if he was a detective or he was just doing it to make his father happy (which makes no sense because he hates him), and it's the most stupid mystery in th ...more
Hazel
Cruise must be an animal lover. Of the books I've read from her they all contained dogs. This one isn't an exception. It's a lethal mix: cute animals, humour & a love story. Everything that a good rom com movie has which is what makes her books so addictive.

I never used to read romance or chick lit books coz the ones my aunts used to read we're sooooo stupid! But thank god there are now writers like Crusie that can write intelligent & funny chick lit.

So yeah I give this book a perfect
Amanda Westmont
I like just about anything by Crusie, but this wasn't my favorite. These earlier plots seemed to tip heavily around mis-communication between hero/heroine and I just NEVER buy it. She writes these strong, feisty protagonists who refuse to ask simple questions that any woman would ask on a first date, like, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GROW UP? Basically, the protagonist of this novel knows NOTHING about the hero and falls in love with him anyway. It's fun and cute and ridiculously difficult t ...more
Andree
Giggle.

Seriously, that's pretty much it. That's pretty much the review. This was generally just charming.

I really enjoy the ridiculous cast of characters at the small town radio station. Snarky Charlie and Allie and their on-air arguments! (Although, I've suddenly realized that "he's the on-air talent, she's his producer pushing him to reach his potential" is a trope I seriously enjoy. (view spoiler)
Rehab
I absolutely loved it

it's the whole package; sweet, funny, romantic but still down to earth, promotes nice ideas and morals and causes .... and it has many good people in it.

the story is simple, predictable even, yet very interesting.
the charachters are really well written, the plot is nicely weaven.

In addition to Charlie and Allie; I loved every oneelse as much.
Grady, and his mother, Harry, Karen and even Bill.
I felt sorry for Lisa and really wanted to hit Mark.

and I especially loved that the
~KarenH~

I really enjoyed this book, it was just what I was needing since I've been reading a lot of very intense stuff lately. Light, funny, with just a small touch of a serious storyline (legalization of medical marijuana) to give it some substance, but not so much that it made the whole book too serious. I liked the fact that the main characters are both initially described as just kind of average - in fact at one point the hero is described as having "the kind of face that the big, good-natu
Julie
I read this book in one sitting because it was so much fun. It's totally adorable. Allie is a radio producer, and she picks up this dude Charlie in a bar by getting him to pose as her boyfriend in front of her ex. Only she doesn't know at first that Charlie is the new DJ whose show she's producing. They have a one-night stand, which turns into a multiple night thing as they work together. Charlie just kind of moves in with Allie and her gay best friend/roommate, Joe (who needs his own book becau ...more
Izia
Such a short and fun read.
I really enjoyed reading this book.
Reading Charlie All Night was like using heroine. You do it without much thinking, and you really don't benefit from it, but it's fun.

The whole tone of the book is just light and very chic lit-ish.
You can't deny that Jennifer Crusie is one of the best chic lit author out there. Her characters are fun to read and her stories are just light and perfect for off days.

Sometimes, we readers, need a break from dark and deep novels that lea
Jeri
4.5 - Because it was so much fun. This book had me laughing out loud. I find myself wanting to quote favorite bits of dialogue, such as the conversation between the Allie (the heroine), Charlie (the man she has just met and with whom she is considering a fling), Joe (her gay roommate) and Mark (her ex-boyfriend): Mark looked from Charlie to Allie to Joe, evidently reading Allie's mind.

"So who is he sleeping with?"

"Me." Allie held her hand like a polite child, her plan now in place. "Joe gets him
Jennavier
There are some days when light and fluffy really is all you need, and when that happens Charlie All Night is a great book to read. I enjoyed the humor and the characters. I found the plot a little weak and the overall resolution a trifle baffling. All in all a win on my end.
Eleni Konstantine
Wickedly funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was a great book to listen to while driving causing me to laugh out loud and many moments. There were a couple of hot love scenes which were blush worthy if anyone could have heard the story.

The narrator did a great job of distinguishing the comments. Near the beginning when Allie is making a fool of herself trying to 'pick' up Charlie by pretending to be perky, Charlie turns to her and says 'What are you doing?' It absolutely cracked me up.

The roman
Tiffany
Super cute and cheesy. I needed a mindless one to cleanse the palette after my last book. The end was a little lame but it was a quick read
Lokki
Jennifer Crusie has proven again and again that she is a force to be reckoned with in the field of chick lit. She creates wonderful lighthearted romps with realistic and lovable characters. Charlie All Night is no exception.

(view spoiler)
TheSlump BookReviewer
What an appropriate title because I stayed up all night reading this one! This wasn’t my first Crusie book but it was the first one that I instantly fell in love with. Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie is one of the first books I remember crushing out on. So…what’s it about? Here’s the summary posted on Goodreads:

Sridevi
Charlie All Night
I had read this book because of the name Jennifer Crusie on the cover. I had read Bet Me and 2 other of her works before, but only Bet Me had caught my fantasy.
I decided to give one last try to Ms.Crusie's books and I turned to Charlie All Night pretty much by accident.
I feel glad!!

Easily one of the best clean,simple romances I have ever read. This book had it all!

We start with the heroine Allie a 30-something woman who just got demoted in her job - of being a producer on a

Shannon
I love Jennifer Crusie books. Reading them is like talking to an old friend-- fun and comforting and joyful and full of surprises. But one thing that keeps me from loving all her books equally is that the plots tend toward the bizarre, sometimes crossing over into completely unrealistic. I enjoy getting lost in the small towns full of zany characters she creates, but I can only suspend my disbelief so much. This book completely avoided that flaw, so I expected to love it, but towards the end, I ...more
Gina Hott
I must admit that although I did enjoy this book it wasn't terrific. The plot was ok - it had great potential - but it just didn't cut it.

A friend of Charlie's dad, Bill, asked Charlie to come to work undercover at his radio station and see why he's gotten an anonymous letter saying that something illegal was happening at the station. So Charlie jumped on board and came to the rescue. His first day there he runs into Allie - who just happens to be slated to be his producer - and they hit it off.
Amy
Oh, man. You just can't get enough of Jennifer Crusie. I re-read this one and I think I'm going to start re-reading all of her work because it is so, SO good. And there is no one else like her. I repeat, NO one.

I strongly recommend this to EVERY body.
Tina
I just started reading this author's books. Received a bundle of 4 books in one. This was the last of the 4, and very much the best. I loved this book. It was adorable, witty, and I liked the male characters very much.
Amber justice
I really enjoyed this as I do with all Jennifer cruise novels. it's light hearted fluff that makes you laugh and is just an easy romantic read that makes you feel good all over. it'd be like eating a pound of chocolate guilt free and without the worry of ever gaining any weight. Jennifer cruise novels always make me feel tingly happy when I read them because they're literally just that good. this one wasn't my favorite of hers (that is explicitly reserved for getting rid of Bradley) but since I ...more
Patricia Ange
I know that it's never a good idea to start a new book late in the evening prior to bed. it's especially important to remember that fact when the book is by Jennifer Crusie. I really meant to only read for an hour but once I started I couldn't put the book down. I laughed so hard a some situations in this story that I am sure I sounded disturbed to my teenager. I am sure I will still laugh in reminiscence tomorrow as I suffer the consequences of a well deserved book hangover. In spite of the lac ...more
Simran Siddique
4.5 stars. I loved it! Good read. Humorous and fun!
Romance Readers R...: Buddy read: Charlie All Night 11 20 Mar 04, 2012 06:20PM
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Breathing Room
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • Simply Scandalous (Simply, #2)
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...
Bet Me Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) Anyone But You Agnes and the Hitman Faking It (Dempseys #2)

“His sentences didn't seem to have any verbs, which was par for a politician. All nouns, no action. ” 99 likes
“King scratched at the door to be let out."
Charlie snorted. "King obviously has a lot of stamina. I'd have been clawing
at the door a lot sooner if I was trapped in a booth with Mark."
"But Mark ignored him, so King... uh, pooped."
Charlie grinned. "And then?"
"Mark yelled at him and scared him." Harry fought back a grin. "So King
pooped again."
Charlie's grin widened. "Mark is an idiot."
"So then Mark waved the script at him, and King—"
"Pooped again." Charlie started to laugh.
"Then Marcia came in and threw a fit because of all the poop in the booth and because Mark was mistreating a puppy. She gave him ten minutes to get the booth clean, and she took the dog away from him.”
6 likes