U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)

U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  921 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Armed with stolen U.S. military technology, the Chinese are producing a frightening new breed of weaponry,led by the ICBM submarine Xia III — a vessel that just might be able to launch a nuclear warhead across the Pacific Ocean and take out an American West Coast city.

National Security Adviser Admiral Arnold Morgan can't let that happen, and he dispatches the most stealthy...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2000)

Bernard
Tom Clancy it isn't. Ethan was in the car when it came to the part where the admiral streams off profanities like "fucking gooks" and "chinks" and what-not. Problem with the book is that the author appears to think that China and US are run my the military. In the US case, he makes it appear like the admiral is running the country and the president works under him. Despite those kinds of issues - where there is no diplomacy whatsoever - its got some fun military scenes. As an audio book, it keep...more
Tony
Parts were so farfetched to make it unbelieveable.
Paul Adams
First Patrick Robinson book I read. Great!
Rosie Hendrix
A customer brought this into my work one day and personally handed it to me to read. He is an older gentleman and had always seen me with a book so he wanted to share one of his favorite authors.

I had never read a book by Patrick Robinson before. Actually, I can't say I've ever seen his books before that day since it isn't the normal genre I browse through. I enjoyed it and have discovered a new author to read thanks to my customer.

Patrick Robinson's characters are very real and, although I don'...more
Henri Moreaux
Really enjoyed this book; at first I was a little worried the Ben Adnam from the prior book was the mysterious Linus Clarke character who seemed nervous and lacking in fortitude, however thankfully it is later revealed who Linus Clarke is and it isn't BA.

This plot is believable, nicely paced and has a great action filled climax before winding down to end on a sorrowful note.

It's nice to read a book involving the US Navy where they aren't portrayed as superheroes, I felt this book did a good jo...more
Tavis Hanson
Very good military thriller. Did make a good social commentary at the end, but over all good
Mr. Blaine
Bad bad bad bad bad bad
Jim
"Completely fun sub story where we lose our top sub to the Chinese but save the crew and blast the boat anyway. Like before, his characterizations of everyone and everything outside the military -- the press, the prez, the public -- is completely lame, but the story is still fun and this plot survives better."
Wolf
Dec 01, 2009 Wolf rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
It has been a while since I initially read this book. I have two comments:

1. Dialogue alone does not make a novel.

2. Cursing does not make dialogue.

I did not finish this book; I found it tiresome and unentertaining. It is an attempt, I think, to imitate Tom Clancy, but fails in spectacular ways.
Andrea
Admirad Arnold Morgan.
Newest US hunter-killer submarine patrols waters off of China to find and follow newest Chinese submarine.

I protest the ending, but it appears that a need to "wrap it up" doesn't allow author the time to explain the military mind-set to non-career military readers.
Mark Kloha
Okay. One of the worst books I've ever read. It was fairly decent until I got to the end. The ending of this book is just beyond stupid. Tear out the last chapter or two, come up with your own ending, and this might be an otherwise decent book to read, but the ending is just ridiculous.
Chuck
The U.S. Navy's premier nuclear submarine is on a clandestine
mission in the South China Sea. The Seawolf is captured by the
Chinese Navy and the crew is held captive. How do we protect
the Seawolf's technological secrets and rescue the crew?
Davd Neu
probably the best book i've ever read, more attention to detail than i ever thought possible in a book but it is still fast paced enough and engrossing enough that i finished the 480 pages of very small text in three days. BEST BOOK EVER.
Mike
Surprising, sad ending that was a little off-theme with some of the rest of the book, but overall a very enjoyable read. Less submarine action than some of his previous novels (closer to Kilo Class than Nimitz Class or Unseen).
Tony
Very exciting, well-written plot overall. Just spent a wee bit too much time detailing background of each and every character before going into the plot.
Andreas
Passable technothriller about a US nuclear attack sub that falls into Chinese hands. Not really much to write home about.

Griff
fun naval technothriller dealing with build-up of Chinese navy and stealing of crippled US submarine
Lindsey
It's been awhile since I've read it, but this was a pretty typical Robinson submarine thriller.
Craig
Great, his others might have been better, and this startedn a bit slow.
Andrew
Lots of speech like others have said but still a very enjoyable book.
David Cole
Great book with attention to detail
larry100
Apr 27, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Daves
Daves is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • Day of Wrath
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...
Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1) H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3) Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2) Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6) The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)