Start by marking “Julius Caesar: War Commentaries” as Want to Read:

Table of Contents

The African War (attributed to Caesar, possibly written by Aulus
Hirtius or Gaius Oppius)
The Alexandrian War (attributed to Caesar,
possibly written by Aulus Hirtius or Gaius Oppius)
The Civil
War

- Commentaries on the Civil War, Supplement by
Dionysius Vossius
The Gallic War (Books 1-7 by Caesar; Book 8 written
by Aulus Hirtius)
The Spanish War (attributed t

Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference

To ask other readers questions about Julius Caesar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julius Caesar

Dan Griliopoulos
Fascinating historical document. Very strange to see Caesar's armies crushing so many familiar modern towns. Not great for an overview of the period though - a lot of knowledge is understandably assumed, but it's amazing that the period is so familiar and modern. We really haven't advanced, mentally, in 2000 years.
Phoebes
La Guerra Gallica.
Amo i classici. Lo dirò ogni volta che ne leggo uno? Temo di sì! :D Mi piacciono di qualunque epoca e nazione, però, non so, leggendo questo qui mi sono resa conto che l’emozione è anche un po’ proporzionata alla distanza temporale del classico, cioè quando leggo quelli antichi è assai maggiore (a prescindere ovviamente dal testo in sé)! :) In questo caso, comunque, non me l’aspettavo davvero che mi sarebbe piaciuto così tanto! Insomma, si parla di guerra, e di una guerra vera,...more
Conrad
Well, the version I read was "War Commentaries of Caesar" translated by Rex Warner, and not the one pictured with this review. I bought it in 1970, when I took Second-Year Latin, to use as a crib sheet. It turned out that I didn't need it to help me translate, so it sat on my shelf, unread, for 40 years. I finally started reading it out of guilt, more than anything. It gets 5 stars, but be aware that it is as difficult to read in English as it is in Latin, so don't expect an easy, or easy-to-fol...more
Patrick
Amazon:
This complete edition of Caesar’s Commentaries contains all eight of Caesar’s books on the Gallic War as well as all three of his books on the Civil War masterfully translated into English by W. A. MacDevitt. Caesar’s Commentaries are an outstanding account of extraordinary events by one of the most exceptional men in the history of the world.
Julius Caesar himself was one of the most eminent writers of the age in which he lived. His commentaries on the Gallic and Civil Wars are written wi...more
Robert Sheppard

WHAT EVERY EDUCATED CITIZEN OF THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW IN THE 21ST CENTURY: THE GREAT HISTORIANS OF WORLD HISTORY--HERODOTUS, THUCYDIDES, SIMA QIAN, IBN KHALDUN, THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE MONGOLS, JULIUS CAESAR, PLUTARCH, LIVY, POLYBIUS, TACITUS, GIBBON, MARX, SPENGLER & TOYNBEE----FROM THE WORLD LITERATURE FORUM RECOMMENDED CLASSICS AND MASTERPIECES SERIES VIA GOODREADS—-ROBERT SHEPPARD, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." is an apt admonition to...more
Becky
I have nothing to say about what particular version of the Gallic Wars I read. I’ve read several versions, and as none of them were in Latin, and I can make no comparison, I’ll just say they were all good.

This is a fascinating account, written first hand, of Caesars invasion of Gaul, of the people’s resistance, and the struggle to hold on to the conquest. If nothing else it makes you appreciate the ability to communicate long distances in modern combat. Its so excellently written, its so informa...more
Dev
Caesar was a genius. The man conquered and re-conquered Africa(carthage), Spain and Germany(Gaul),Britannica, and Egypt. He had an incredible grasp of both the strategy and tactics of war, seemed to sense the mood of his cohorts and centurions, at will could grasp the political dynamics of wherever he was and had a mastery of the logistics of battle from what ground to occupy to where water and victuals could best be had. All that being said, this book is sheer drudgery. Told by Caesar in the 3r...more
Jonathan
After enjoying Adrian Goldsworthy's biography of Caesar I thought that I'd read both books by the man himself. I'm not a fan of military history and one of the things I liked about Goldsworthy's book was that he didn't dwell on the battles for too long - a quick, clear explanation was enough.

Caesar of course does dwell on the battles and for me it is quite a dreary read. These are after all battle reports from over 2000 years ago so what did I expect? I've read about 3/4 of Gallic Wars but will...more
Ron Perkowski
One of the great propaganda (or political persuasion pieces) in history, the annihilation of the indigineous barbarians of Caesar says much of the sensibilities of those he was seeking to impress and the craving of humanity for stable political systems. However, it also serves mightily as the first, and best, example of a project plan (adopted with a clear objective in mind-becoming consul) and the brilliant execution of that plan through the development of expertise, the acquisition and deploym...more
Mickey
Jun 21, 2009 Mickey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mickey by: John Keegan
My copy of the Gallic Wars unfortunately predates ISBNs, which is unfortunate, as it's a very good translation by John Warrington. In the particular translation, Warrington changes all references to Caesar in the third person (an affectation by Caesar) to the more appropriate first person. This gives the reader a feel of Caesar which is much more intimate.

The only complaint I have about this particular translation is that it does not include the engineering sketches made by Caesar of his Rheine...more
Jessica
Anyone who loves world history should read Caesar's works. His words open a window to that time period, allowing us to catch a glimpse of the Gallic and civil wars. I did catch myself wondering throughout whether Caesar was relating his true intentions, or merely trying to put a positive spin on his actions, but I'd suppose this is the case for any such writings. Nevertheless, supposing Caesar's self-portrayal of his leniency during these wars is accurate, his character seems to outweigh many fr...more
Jeffrey Hite
I am a student of history, and not a historian. I enjoyed this. I have read a few other histories that included this time period. This one, since it is told from the point of view of Caesar it is obviously slanted in favor of the Romans, but it was still quite interesting to hear it from his point of view. I would recommend this anyone who is interested in this time period, but not as a first book. There is too much context about the time period that is really needed to appreciate this book.
Bonnie_blu
There is no better way to get a feel for the real Caesar than reading his own words. The parallel Latin and English text allows the reader not only to brush up on Latin, but also to get a glimpse into Caesar's mind and to appreciate his enormous intelligence. While there are a few instances where the English translation is awkward, overall the translation is very good.
Thomas Harlan
Excellent self-aggrandizing memoir of Caesar's wars in Gaul and his efforts to defeat Pompey during the civil war. Spoiler. He wins. Absolutely not a dispassionate history, but has a wealth of interesting historical detail and presents a strong case for Caesar's assertion of being the "new" Alexander.
Jeremy
Much like any political aspiring General, Caesar has a quasi-accurate view of the Gallic tribes and their culture. But his insight in their general culture is acute, and his military strategy is accomplished. If, for nothing else, it's a great read.
Tony Taylor
This complete edition of Caesar's Commentaries contains all eight of Caesar's books on the Gallic War as well as all three of his books on the Civil War masterfully translated into English by John Warrington(about 1958)
Cynthia
I didn't choose this book for light reading and that's a good thing. It was not easy reading. But if you are a history buff or interested in understanding the thinking of people in different ages, it's worth the effort.
Juan Javier
The W.A Macdevitt translation's syntax is a bit confusing, so this book requires more focus than your typical read.

Extra points if you use the correct Latin pronunciations throughout (KYE-SAR instead of SEE-SIR).
Patrick McFarland
A first hand account of Rome's conquest of Western Europe in the century before Christ, penned by the legendary Julius Caesar. Once begun, this two thousand year old memoir will be hard to put down.
Fabian
I've been told this is all a fabrication on Julius Caesar's part, in that it is greatly embellished; meant for his own gain and to instill fear and awe. So I've been told. . .
Jonathan
Listened to the audiobook from Audio Connoisseur (unabridged, of course), narrated by Charlton Griffin.
Loved it!
Hugh Deburgh
Fascinating look into the mind and discoveries of Julius Caesar. An insight into a two-thousand-year-old world.
Timothy Ferguson
The Librivox edition is well read, and the details about Celtic culture particularly interesting...

Dan Sichel
Good insight, great self promotion. Interesting for what it leaves out as well as what it includes.
Richard Munro
One of the best modern translations.
Tom
I liked it because of the relentless drive I see in Julius Caesar. He doesn't say it, but I can tell that he held a deep grudge against the Galls, and want to subdue them. The third person, the cold analysis of events, only makes more poignant of that fact. I admire him for his courage and pride but not his aggression on innocent tribes, and selling them off to slavery.
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Blair Esfuego
Blair Esfuego marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • Four Major Plays of Chikamatsu
  • The Black Heralds
  • The Annals of Imperial Rome
  • The Jewish War
  • Death and the King's Horseman: A Play
  • The Early History of Rome: (The History of Rome, #1-5)
  • Diaries
  • A History of Rome (Abridged)
  • Plutarch's Lives, Volume 1
Gaius Julius Caesar (pronounced [ˈɡaː.i.us ˈjuːli.us ˈkaɪsar] in Classical Latin; conventionally /ˈɡaɪ.əs ˈdʒuːli.əs ˈsiːzər/ in English), (13 July 102-100 BC – 15 March 44 BC), was a Roman military and political leader. He played a critical role in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire.

As a politician, Caesar made use of popularist tactics. During the late 60s and into th...more
More about Julius Caesar...
The Civil War The Conquest of Gaul De Bello Gallico I The Gallic War and Other Writings De Bello Gallico, II

“THE COMMENTARIES OF Gaius JULIUS CAESAR” 0 likes