Start by marking “The Pursuit of Marriage” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit of Marriage

The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons #8)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
What lengths would a young lady go to in her pursuit of the perfect match?

And how far would a gentleman go to stop her?

Cassandra Effington is one of the most delicious debutantes to ever waltz across a London ballroom. But while her identical twin sister Delia is now wed, Cassandra is still unclaimed, and everyone agrees her standards are entirely too high. So how could sh
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pursuit of Marriage

The UHQ Nasanta

I read this book for a challenge, pulled off a listopia list for books about twins, not realizing it was the 8th in the series. The name Effington did sound familiar and I thought that it was a series I had read before by a different author; I'd just gotten confused. Nonetheless, I had expectations of a delightfully light historical romance, which were met.

I enjoyed this story, mostly for the humor but also for the fact that in a couple of instances, I had expected one (dreaded) thing
Daniella
(This is actually a 3.5 star-rating, but as a personal rule, I round down.)

Ridiculous. Chaotic. Inconsistent. Anachronistic. But oh-so-deliciously funny, witty and entertaining.

This is how I'd describe The Pursuit of Marriage.

Yes, okay, the book's far from perfect; the writing was merely satisfactory, the plot was unstructured and all over the place, Cassie's personality practically had a 180 degree turn by the 50% marker, and the minor conflict could have been settled by a conversation betwee
Judy
Apr 15, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reggie Berkley has been in several of the previous books. Good friend to Marcus Pennington and Thomas Effington. Poor Reggie falls in love constantly. He flys off the precipice and always lands with a crash after telling the lady he loves her and she refuses him.

Cassandra Effington learned she is quite the home decorator. After helping her twin, Delia, decorate first her late husbands home and then St. Stephen's home, Delia's new husband.

The woman who gather to marry their children off have met
Elizabeth
It's a shame that I read this book right after finishing several Georgette Heyer novels. In truth, her works tend to throw all other Regencies into the shade.

This book was a light, fluffy romp employing the usual bets & love/hate fights in order to bring our hero and heroine together. I have to say that I liked this more than the average Regency, but it was just hard to compare the attempts at witty banter coming off Heyer's The Grand Sophy. Also, there were a lot of similarities to the Brid
Cindy Peng
Aug 24, 2009 Cindy Peng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at BookOff and realized that I hadn't read a good bodice-ripping, double-entendre-enhanced historical romance in a long time. I picked up this little volume (with the long-haired, bare-chested Fabio clone discreetly hidden on the inside cover) and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's a typical romance with the typical ludicrous plot devices (the meeting of the couple and the marriage all happen within a week), but it's witty, funny, and charming. A little embarrassing to read in public, but ...more
Michelle
Feb 24, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this original romance with the honest Reggie who so easily falls in love and has great friends who support even his worst ideas, and Cassie, the incomparable business-woman who doesn't doubt herself until she meets Reggie. Slapstick-y and light-hearted, this romance made me plain happy, even though the end was a little silly. And I did not like Miss Wonderful at ALL! Now to read more of the Effington clan!
Camille
Aug 28, 2008 Camille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of cheesy quick romance novel. Not so great that I will read more from this author, but it was ok
April
Jan 13, 2017 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Patria
Maura
Sarina
Giving it 2, actually, 1.5 stars...What saved it from being rated 1 star... was its neatly wrapped up ending..

It had a promising start....somewhat. But then the story dragged on after 60% of the plot...I mean, I've read better romance and believable stories in 150 or 400 pages...This one could easily be finished in 150 pages... Found nothing very intriguing about either the hero or the heroine...

I'm glad it's finished. Felt excited at first...felt bored to the point of infinity during the middle
Bronwyn Rykiert
This is my first Victoria Alexander book and I found it on the whole entertaining.

It was a little slow to start and the conversations between the characters is frivolous, but by the time I got to the end I realized that is what the author had in mind.

The Pursuit of Marriage is a game between the eccentric Cassandra Effington, who in in her 7th season and Reggie - the infamous Viscount Berkley who with the help of his friends had given himself a reputation so he could have hordes of women but it
Dec 17, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Matchmaking mothers scheme to bring together a woman looking for Lord Perfect and a man... not sure how to define him, possibly the book would have been better if his identity had ever coalesced around some central theme. This was lighthearted and funny at times, but insanely long for what it was. The latter two-thirds could have been excised without damaging the story; it just contained repeats of a storyline that never quite made sense in the first place. And although I usually love dialogue, ...more
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
At first I just couldn't get into this book,so I put it down for quite some time. I think it was more because I was burnt out on the genre. But I did pick it back up and finish it!
I am happy I decided to finish this book. It made me laugh so much.
I fell in love with Viscount Berkley and all his little plans.
Remember even the best laid plans fail!
Cassandra Effington is very outspoken, I connected with her. She has always wanted to marry "Lord Perfect". But as she is now realizing Lord Perfect is
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Cassie is looking for Lord Perfect tomarry. But no one meets her expcectations and her family loves to tell her so. So at a race featuring her brother and his friend Lord Berkeley, Cassie meets Lord Berkeley. Reggie, Lord Berkeley is made known by Cassandra that they would not suit. But Cassie's heart has other plans along with their scemeing movers. Cassie and Reggie's movers throw hem together in Cassie's buisness of refurbishing homes. As they look through his home, Cassie starts to consider ...more
Jul 31, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, effingtons
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the eighth book in the series the readers have already had the pleasure of meeting some of the characters. Cassandra is one such character, strong willed and lightly opinionated at best she is the perfect foil to the love struck Reggie. Cassandra is a likable character and really relatable to a modern day girl even in a Regency style setting.

The humor was abundant throughout the story and the characters meshed well together. It is one of those nice little happy go lucky romances that just
Robin
Feb 13, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This one was cute and quick. Regency fluff with fun (i.e., hardly believable) characters, snappy dialogue, and a fast-paced plot. It had been so long since reading the previous book (The Lady in Question) that all of the characters were fresh to me. I almost wish I had read it back-when so that I could "get" more of the inside humor. But even that did not diminish my enjoyment.
Mandy
Aug 25, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I have not read the other books in the series, I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, I wasn't put out by the abundance of characters found or the mention of their stories.

I liked that she was doing something different with her time other than just the normal pursuits. I liked the interactions between the siblings. It reminded me of how overprotective my brothers were to me.

It was a typical romance, but I enjoyed it.
Mem
Cassandra Effington's twin sister is married. Cassandra standards are to high according to society. Lord Berkley has been in love many times with no success. Now he's wagered with Cassie on who will find first the perfect match for the other. Now can he convince Cassie he's her match?
Enjoyed the back and forth of the two main characters. Their friends and siblings interference kept the story moving.
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Carlena
I liked this book a great deal but some parts could really tick me off. Such as the fact that it's set historically where women can't be sexual. Or the woman who tricks the main heroine into believing something that wasnt real. Maybe I just can't stand the anti-feminist part of our history but I know I can't stand conniving people. That being said its still a good book and worthy of a read.
Anna Mcfarland
I was hoping that this book would be similar to Georgette Heyer's novels, but it was below expectations. It had an interesting plot and likable characters although still not up to par with Heyer's. I certainly enjoyed the wager to find a spouse for each other, but it also had a premarital sex scene that ruined the book for me. Now my copy is missing several pages and I'm okay with that;)
Amos
Jun 21, 2010 Amos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
of Borders Marketplace 6/21/2010
started 7/20/2010 Again this goes into what women have had to go through for "independence". Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010 Returned to Susan
Sana
Jul 24, 2011 Sana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
It was good in the start but then the good points starting vanishing and well, it was okay in the end. But not my kind of book.
Mousumi Bhattacharya
Lord Berkley's character has been shown as down to earth and Cassandra's too be too haughty. Irrespective of that Cassandra is captivating. The ending though is little boring.
Ale Peña
Aug 22, 2015 Ale Peña rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnífica historia Srita Excéntrica y Lord infame son en el uno para el otro, amo como escribe esta autora ojalá tradujeran todos sus libros a español
Angi
Nov 07, 2012 Angi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Komplizierte Liebesgeschichte mit vielen Irrungen und Wirrungen á la "Stolz und Vorurteil" und "Emma".
Kim
Aug 23, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, but the last 100 pages felt like dead weight---the author dragging out a conflict that had, for all intents and purposes, already resolved itself.
Stephanie Bolen
I really liked it until he ignored what a chick said and just hands her the keys to messing up his relationship.
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • My Surrender (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #3)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3)
  • Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)
  • Beyond a Wicked Kiss (Compass Club, #4)
  • Web of Love (Web, #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)

“Möge ihnen die Liebe für immer ihre Schwingen leihen, so dass ihre Füße nie wieder den Boden berühren.” 1 likes
“Leo offered his arm and Cassie took it. Sister and brother strolled aimlessly for a few moments. “Perhaps we have not suffered enough to earn happiness?”

Cassie glanced up at him, relieved to note the teasing twinkle in his eye. “I should be happy to make you suffer with a well-placed kick to your backside if that’s what you wish.”

Leo laughed. “I shall pass if you don’t mind. Besides, I am barely nine-and-twenty and have plenty of time left to enjoy myself before the need truly arises to settle myself with a wife.” He sobered. “You, however—”

“Don’t say it, Leo,” Cassie said firmly. “Or I shall be forced to deliver that kick and a great deal more.”
0 likes