Start by marking “Be Joyful (Philippians): Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy (The BE Series Commentary)” as Want to Read:

Be Joyful (Philippians): Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy (The "Be" Commentary Series)

Discover the Secret! Jesus said: "These things I have spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full" (John 15:11).

But perhaps you aren't exactly overflowing with joy. If you could stand a little more joy--or even a lot more!--Then Dr. Warren Wiersbe has a message for you. In this book he:

• Unlocks the treasures of the Apostle Paul's "joy
Published October 1st 1976 by David C. Cook (first published June 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Be Joyful (Philippians), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Joyful (Philippians)

Michaela
Jan 20, 2017 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I really enjoyed this book. I am studying Philippians and it very much aligned with what I had already understood and helped to deepen my understanding and bring new ideas I hadn't thought of. Very helpful, as well as the practical section at the end for living out what I've learned. I recommend this book.
Linda
Jan 20, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing
This was a reread for me. I had read it as a teenager and loved it. it was still just as fascinating to me the second time.
Nathan
Feb 16, 2017 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exegesis, bible
A good study of a joyful epistle. It was an excellent accompaniment to my teaching of Philippians in Sunday School.
david kerney
Oct 08, 2016 david kerney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful messages

In each study there a many wonderful messages for a tried soul. Warren Wiersbe is one of my favorite pastors.
Debbie
Apr 19, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"Be Joyful" is a Bible study, but it reads more like a Christian Living book or commentary on Philippians. This older version of the book has the study questions for each chapter at the back of the book, but the newer version puts them at the end of the chapter they're for.

The book was easy to read and understand, and it drew out some great points from the Bible text. Each chapter covered a chunk of Philippians that covered a similar theme, but you need to read the Scripture from your own Bible
Marianne
Mar 03, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Wierbe's "Be" Series has the perfect mix of "devotional" and "Bible study". His application is rooted in serious, but approachable study for any believer. Unlike some devotionals that are "fluff" or "studies" that get lost in Greek, Wiersbe has the uncanny ability to take Greek word study and apply it in a timeless fashion. Indeed, this book was originally published in 1974 (the year I came to know the Lord) but is still as fresh today as back then.
LoRee Peery
May 03, 2012 LoRee Peery rated it it was amazing
I was amazed by Wiersbe's continual use of alliteration. He makes seeing and using what we have as Christians so easy to understand. Of course, it all began with the Apostle Paul, who wrote the book of Philippians.
In a nutshell, according to Wiersbe, we believers have:
Single mind, Phil. chapter one
Submissive mind, Phil. chapter two
Spiritual mind, Phil. chapter three
Secure mind, Phil. chapter four.
Those four S's express adoration, supplication, appreciation, and contentment.
Clara Roberts
Mar 20, 2013 Clara Roberts rated it it was amazing
Wiersbe says that if we have the single mind of Phillipians 1 we can give God adoration. If we come with the submissive mind of Phillipians 2 we can come with supplication. If we come with the spiritual mind of Phillipian 3 we can show appreciation. All of this gives us the secure mind of Pillipians 4. I loved this book.
Richard
Feb 10, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These commentaries are fantastic! Warren Wiersbe really brings scripture to life in a way that gets right to the heart of the matter but isn't too heavy or theological.

The Be series is a must for anyone preparing a sermon or undertaking Bible study.

Frans Karlsson
Sep 24, 2015 Frans Karlsson rated it it was amazing
Great commentary to Philippians. I liked the way he was speaking about different mindsets. The single mind, submissive mind, a spiritual mind and a secure mind. A helpful book to read while studying Philippians, recommended.
Danielle
Jun 30, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read a book by Dr Wiersbe that isn't great! He's incredibly insightful, gives lots of Scripture references to back up his points, and doesn't write over our heads. God definitely speaks through Dr Wiersbe!
Samantha McEnhimer
Was very useful in helping me to teach my Joy class. I love the first couple of chapters. Good read for those seeking to delve deep into the book of Philippians.
Mike Eccles
Jun 19, 2015 Mike Eccles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, kindle
One of the easier books in the bible is expanded by Wiersbe with subtle and practical interpretation. An excellent, insightful commentary.
Donald L Roebuck Jr
Donald L Roebuck Jr rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Season Sinclair
Season Sinclair rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Chris Ong
Chris Ong rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Sorta Anita
Sorta Anita rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2007
Sean Post
Sean Post rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2014
Stephen Willcox
Stephen Willcox rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Terry Threadwell
Terry Threadwell rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2014
Gail Davis
Gail Davis rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Jenn Sands
Jenn Sands rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Randy Stone
Randy Stone rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Nathan Long
Nathan Long rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2006
Michael Jones
Michael Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2017
Martha Fouts
Martha Fouts rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2008
Paula Russell
Paula Russell rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Rebecca L Thompson
Rebecca L Thompson rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Randy Ellis
Randy Ellis rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • How Then Shall We Worship?: Biblical Principles to Guide Us Today
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Found: God's Peace: Experience True Freedom from Anxiety in Every Circumstance
  • Building Up One Another
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God: Old Testament
  • Otherworld
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Knowing the Truth About Jesus the Messiah (Defenders Series)
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room: Daily Family Devotions for Advent
  • On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
  • Who is Jesus... Really?: A Dialogue on God, Man, and Grace
  • Understanding the Times
Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of the Moody Church and general director of Back to the Bible, has traveled widely as a Bible teacher and conference speaker. Because of his encouragement to those in ministry, Dr. Wiersbe is often referred to as 'the pastor's pastor.' He has ministered in churches and conferences throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Central and South America, and Eur ...more
More about Warren W. Wiersbe...

The "Be" Commentary Series (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Be Basic (Genesis 1-11): Believing the Simple Truth of God's Word
  • Be Obedient (Genesis 12-24): Learning the Secret of Living by Faith
  • Be Authentic (Genesis 25-50): Exhibiting Real Faith in the Real World
  • Be Delivered (Exodus): Finding Freedom by Following God
  • Be Holy (Leviticus): Becoming "Set Apart" for God
  • Be Counted (Numbers): Living a Life That Counts for God
  • Be Equipped (Deuteronomy): Acquiring the Tools for Spiritual Success (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Be Strong (Joshua): Putting God's Power to Work in Your Life
  • Be Available (Judges): Accepting the Challenge to Confront the Enemy
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)

“The person whose happiness depends on ideal circumstances is going to be miserable much of the time.” 3 likes
“People who live for things are never really happy, because they must constantly protect their treasures and worry lest they lose their value.” 0 likes