Start by marking “A Duke of Her Own (Rogues and Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Duke of Her Own (Rogues and Roses, #1)

A Duke of Her Own (Rogues and Roses #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,532 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Lady Louisa longs to marry for passion and love—but will she find happiness in the arms of the duke?
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Duke of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Duke of Her Own

Shawna
4 stars – Historical Romance

I’m a big fan of Lorraine Heath’s Scoundrels of St. James series and although this isn’t quite up to par with those, it’s still a good read, and I definitely felt a connection to the characters and was emotionally invested in the story.

Lady Louisa might be the daughter and sister of an earl, but rampant debt and elaborate spending habits have left her family’s estate in financial ruin. To earn money and avoid inevitable spinsterhood, she accepts the position of chaper
Beanbag Love
Mar 15, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. It made me stay up later than I meant to in order to read the conclusion, but I was left unsatisfied in a way.

The couple is Louisa, the younger sister of an impoverished earl, and Hawkhurst, an impoverished duke and one of the earl's best friends. Their chemistry is believable and some of their back story is very amusing.

You really wade through a lot of mercenary attitudes, though, along with one major machination by the hero that's hard to forgive.

But in the end I definite
Cecilia
Jul 01, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was ok
Shelves: elibrary-books
I read this book because I’ve seen the author’s name come up repeatedly as recommended, and this is one of two titles the library had to offer me as an ebook.

I’m super glad that I didn’t take the gamble of buying, because I definitely was not crazy about this book. At first I just felt that in some way I couldn’t really articulate that it was not “well-written.” But since I’ve seen scores of reviews claiming certain books were well-written (which I thought were boiled tripe with poor-grammar sa
Jenny E
* 4.5 stars *

This was so much fun to read. Just a really fun historical romance with a really great plot and characters. The writing was first rate. Loved it!
Katie
Feb 08, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I had never read a book by Lorraine Heath before, but this was a fabulous romp! Interesting characters, a quick pace, and engaging plot line. I can't wait to read more books by this author.
Bronwyn Rykiert
A well told regency romance that will certainly capture your attention. This is the story of the relationship of Hawke (Randolph Selwyn, Duke of Hawkhurst) and Lady Louisa Wentworth.

Louisa is the daughter of an earl but has no dowry therefore no marriage prospects, so she hires herself out as a chaperone to the Rose family from America. She is to help their daughters Jenny and Kate find themselves titled husbands. The Duke of Hawkhurst, along with Louisa’s brother Alex, Earl of Ravensley and ano
Arriane
Jun 02, 2011 Arriane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because of a certain review about this book, i read it expecting dissapointment but until the end i was fascinated. Courage, love, loyalty, and passion (not presicely in that order)

One of the books that i will certainly remember, both the story and the title (a thing which im not really good at)

This was my first book of the author and certainly not the last. Maybe for a long time, for now i have become a fan.
Shirley Granados
Mar 18, 2015 Shirley Granados rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved it, it is a more realistic story and even though my heart ached from time to time I enjoyed it so much.
Greselley
May 30, 2014 Greselley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Hawk?”
“Mmm?”
“Jenny and Kate are always arguing about which comes first, passion or love.”
“And?”
“So which do you think comes first?”
“In our case, sweetheart, I suspect they arrived at the same time.”

Well, that is a great read and I can't think of better ending. They say that when you wanted to know how would a man treat you when you will be living with him, just observe how he treats his sister and mother. I like the hero even in the start and despite the heroine's not so good impression of
Christine
This book was a total snoozer for more than half of the book. The characters were sort of unbelieveable and the pacing and action was repititious. The plot was also very jumpy and the hero was sooo not swoon worthy. In fact he was an insecure little phleeb and combined with all of the other male insecure phleebs, I pretty much did not give a rat's ass about him saving his legacy.

Basically the plot is this. The sun is setting on the good old days of the ton. Fortunes are in steep decline and the
Dawn
Slavena
First book by Lorraine Heath that I didn’t like much. I don’t like the plot where men don’t have money and do not see any way out but marring money. The refusal to even consider employment or try to make profit of what you can do is silly to me. Yes the guy started seeing things differently at the end but it was kind of late for reforms. The heroine was great, strong willed character that I did not think deserved what our hero threw her way. The accusations he did were over the top when all she ...more
Virginia
Enjoyable and quick read. I really liked the ending note that explained several facts about the late 19th century Victorian England. It made the situations far more plausible to know that these situations of becoming a social chaperone really existed. I like it when authors do their research!

With that said, there were a few minor character twists that I was pleasantly surprised by (in terms of not being able to see it coming) and a few that I did see coming. But that's okay as long as the ride i
Mey Buentipo
I never want to put the book down. It made want to leave my job and read up to the ending. What captured me, is the sequels of the story is fast pace. It will not leave you a boring part. It's kind of different from the stories that I read, at least in the both the hero and the heroine are poor. ALthough, I got disappointed on the ending of the chapter, I was hoping that the hero will go after to the heroine in a dramatic way. It turned out, it ended so soon. That is the fault that I found in Lo ...more
Michelle
Jun 09, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started strong, then lulled a little, then picked up again. Ms. Heath has become one of my go to authors and I enjoy her writing style and her stories. The only thing that irritates me about some of the heroes in these books is that when they say horrible things to the heroines the heroines just stand there and take it. I have to always remember that it was a different time but how I wanted her to just walk away every time he threw it in her face that it should have been Jenny in the Library! ...more
moi
I just loved the story and all the characters including.

But, Hawk was my fav. his character was written very beautifully. I loved everything about him, how he cared for his sister and mother. his securities, everything was believable.

I enjoyed Jeremy too but in the end I somehow did not like his attitude. but he was very kind and caring..

Kate was another strong character. there were many questions which I hope will be answered in next book.
Aug 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series that features the Rose family and I did enjoy it. The main character knows what she needs to do for herself and does it. The first "romance scene" was a little-ehh...but I guess it wouldn't be a romance novel without some scandal or intrigue.
Elena
Jun 18, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I TOO OFTEN LOSE INTEREST IN MY WIPS BUT I DO NOT THEN PUBLISH THEM WITH A HASTILY STAPLED ON ENDING
Njabulo Ndhlovu
May 25, 2015 Njabulo Ndhlovu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, everything i look forward to in historical romance novels. Kept me in suspense too...
Tiffany
Oct 30, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction
I love the trope where the matchmaker/chaperone ends up getting the guy. Its one of my favorites. However, this one has some dubious consent and that dropped the stars way down. Also the hero doesn't spend nearly enough time groveling for me to begin to get over that. Things get better, but it always feels like the heroine is pulling both their weights in emotional labor.
Marie
Jan 23, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bintang 4
Rogues and Roses #1.

"Manakah yg lebih dulu, cinta atau gairah?"
Itulah pertanyaan yg diajukan oleh Rose bersaudari pada Louisa Wenworth, putri seorang earl yg terpaksa karena keadaan keuangan harus memutuskan menjadi seorang pendamping bagi wanita wanita Amerika kaya yg ingin bergaul dilingkungan bangsawan Inggris. Tak seperti Jenny Rose dan Kate Rose yg memiliki mas kawin dan menjadi incaran pria manapun karena kekayaan orangtua mereka, Louisa yg tanpa mas kawin tak pernah mengenal cint
Angela Noviana
Karena kondisi ekonomi keluarganya, Louisa melamar pekerjaan menjadi pendamping para gadis Amerika dan dia bertemu dengan keluarga Rose. Jenny yang penuh semangat dan mengutamakan syarat harus ada gairah antara dirinya dan calon suaminya; Kate yang sangat kutu buku dan berbeda dengan kakaknya, ia mengutamakan cinta.

Mendengar hal ini, teman dekat kakaknya, bahkan kakaknya sendiri, meminta Louisa untuk menjodohkan mereka dengan kedua saudara Rose ini. Dari ketiga pria ini, Louisa merasa tidak ada
Mary
Jul 10, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Duke of Her Own" is the first book in Lorraine Heath's Rogues & Roses and decidedly more amateurish than her Scoundrels of St. James series (which I absolutely adored). I felt disappointed while reading through it and did not connect with any of the characters in the story. Unfortunately, I can't put a finger on where in the writing the fault may lie but it left me greatly dissatisfied.

Louisa is a self-proclaimed spinster from an impoverish aristocratic family who seeks out respectable "e
Karen Darling
I cringed while reading this book. 3 lazy broke men trying to marry for money. The heroine started out strong, but ended up doing something dumb.
Michelle
Feb 21, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Duke of Hawkhurst must marry for money. Lady Louisa is the sister of one of the Duke's friends, as well as the chaperone to a couple of American heiresses looking for husbands. He's set his sights on Jenny, one of the Americans, but Louisa doesn't think he's acceptable husband material. Hawk is drawn to Louisa, enjoying spending time with her and Jenny, thinking about her when he should be concentrating on wooing Jenny.

Words cannot express how much I enjoyed this book. It's the book that you
Lita Bouquard
Impoverished and desperate, Lady Louisa seeks employment as a chaperone to 2 American sisters. Although she has a home, her brother has been unable to change their financial situation. He manages to support a mistress but Louisa has made do without a new outfit for 3 years. Her future employer- the mother of the American girls who is aggressively seeking titled gentlemen for marriage, hires Louisa. Her brother and his 2 wastrel friends think she will be able to give them an advantage to the mill ...more
Jody
Jun 23, 2012 Jody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The Lusty Literate
May 03, 2013 The Lusty Literate rated it liked it
This book was fun and sweet. The secondary characters are equally delightful. The siblings Jenny and Jeremy Rose especially. The romance is worth the wait.

Lousia is a lovely female character. She's admirable and kind hearted. Hawk, although clearly sexy and masculine, is frustrating at times and a hard one to fall in love with. He takes his sweet time to come around to admitting his true feelings and pursue with his heart.

There are so many characters I was left wondering about- Alex, Caroline
Lina
Sep 01, 2016 Lina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is like a normal distribution, it starts slow and delicate, then suddenly voila, a huge scandal, and the author kind of skips on the most important part (i.e. the marriage of L & H), then the pace of the story slows down again. The characters are beyond flawed. It is like the author can not makeup her mind on if there are actually bad guys or good guys. Each and everyone of them have another side to their characters. It was not the kind of deep cool novels I am used to, but I did r ...more
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Too much blame and self-loathing to be a great story. I would have liked to have the fact that Hawk had always been attracted to his best friend's sister more a part of their story. I got tired of Louisa following up Hawk's wonderful lovemaking by discounting his sincerity. Both characters were self-absorbed to the point of not being sensitive to each other. Hawk wore his sense of duty like a millstone.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Nov 30, 2016 12:24PM
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Heart's Ease
  • After the Kiss (Notorious Gentlemen, #1)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Till Next We Meet
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers, #1)
  • The Proposition
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • To Marry the Duke (American Heiresses, #1)
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
  • Fallen
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...

Rogues and Roses (2 books)
  • Just Wicked Enough (Rogues and Roses, #2)