Start by marking “The Normal Christian Life” as Want to Read:
The Normal Christian Life

The Normal Christian Life

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  3,824 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Watchman Nee's great Christian classic tracing the steps along the pathway of faith and presenting the eternal purpose of God in simple terms. Its central theme: "Christ our Life.
Published June 1st 1977 by Christian Literature Crusade (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Normal Christian Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Normal Christian Life

Dave Johnson
Oh. My. God. This is the best book I've ever read--and I absolutely mean that with all the sincerity that I can muster.

This book was so good, in fact, that it made me reevaluate how I rate books. There is absolutely nothing flawed in it. NOTHING. And Nee's message was poignant, timeless, and so powerful that it really affected my life. It changed me. I mean, it's almost unbelievable. His message of grace and of the blood, cross, and life of Christ is amazing. His message on the Holy Spirit--tho...more
Nathanael
I am rather biased about this book because I read it during a cross-roads in my life and it influenced me in a way that has only brought joy and fulfillment.

Nee does an incredible job of exploring the scope of what Christ spiritually accomplished in His death, resurrection, and ascension. Having been raised Christian, I knew all the stories and could repeat what Jesus did for us, but most of that was conditioning and I had no personal identification with any of it. Through this book I was able...more
Joe Dantona
Watchman Nee had a profound understanding of the normal Christian life, which is wholly different from the 'average' Christian life. The normal Christian life consists of realizing and acknowledging the divine fact that Christians were (not will be) crucified with Christ in the first century A.D. In a way that we do not yet understand, God has included us in the death (and resurrection) of His only Son, and by doing has made many sons. The Christian life goes off-track when it forgets these fact...more
Ron
Nee's classic study of the book of Romans.

Everything positive I wrote about the ebook edition of The Normal Christian Church Life applies to this edition.

This is a new experience for me. Having purchased and read the ebook version of The Normal Christian Church Life, I purchased the hard copy and read it as well. (I bought it because of the frustration trying to find passages for reference and quoting. Immediately, I noticed how much better this edition was. I haven't done a line for line compar...more
Ron
Extraordinarily detailed and scholarly writing by famed Chinese Christian of doctrines from the book of Romans. Due to the age of the text (approximately 80 years), the modern reader will need to re-read many passages to get the full value from the text. It's worth it. Modern writings seem like skimmed milk compared to the cream-rich writing of Watchman Nee.

Details what amount to good, better and best doctrines of the Christian's dying to sin and self.

Note to potential readers: this ebook editio...more
Dustin
This is a book that is in a handful of life-changers on my shelf. Watchman Nee so clearly communicates the Gospel message and the effect of Christ's atoning death on the Cross. Before reading, I wouldn't have been able to articulate the Gospel message effectively, but after, I finally felt I had something to stand on.

The book is timeless, a joy to read, easy to understand, and highly recommended to everyone, especially those new to the Christian faith.

I was also ecstatic when I found it for sale...more
I read this many years ago and remember enjoying it. This time I have not only enjoyed it, but I have found it rather revolutionary.

(view spoiler)...more
Dana Roberts
Aug 02, 2013 Dana Roberts rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dana by: An Episcopal charismatic pastor
A GOOD BOOK FATALLY FLAWED.

I read this book five times. Underlined and yellowed. Finally the binding went and I relied upon an ebook. As I read more I realized that is just one, often repeated, form of Keswick and Brethren sanctification. Some have called Nee's theology gnostic and that's what appealed to others. We have our own Dalai Lama. We don't have to think. I found the great teacher. To disagree with Nee is immediately labeled as 'unspiritual." Well maybe it is but maybe it isn't.

The ke...more
Steve
This book is a must read for Christians. I'm not that informed on the life of Watchman Nee and I hear that he had a problem with Protestants and Catholics in his time and a few other strange things about him. But I've heard similar things about the late writings of Martin Luther. I will say that this book is uplifting and Nee does an amazing job of describing simply the complex mysteries of our faith. There were a few things that I didn't completely agree with him on but that's pretty much every...more
Cheryl
This author spoke to my heart in powerful words on Romans 6-8 and helped me to understand the strength I have in Christ is the source of conquering sin. To live a "normal Christian life" is to live in the Spirit and reckon myself dead to sin. "For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with..." Through the power of Christ I can live a righteous life in the Spirit!
Trice
Jul 16, 2011 Trice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Trice by: JB's library
examines a truth you've heard a million times and takes it straight to the heart and soul. what a brother to know!
Ann
Absolutely one of the best books ever on grace and living in freedom. Required reading for every Christian.
Austin Zhang
"God shows us through His Word that He has only one answer to every human need: His Son, Jesus Christ." ~Witness Lee

I've been meaning to read this book for a while now and I finally go the chance this year. I did try to read this book, though, a year ago, but nothing really came out of it, so I stopped. But after reading it this year, I was truly amazed by the various aspects that are required of us to live a normal Christian life which just focuses all on Jesus Christ Himself.

Watchman Nee pres...more
Bryan Robinson
A thoughtful, deep book written about the Christian living in Christ, as opposed to living in our own efforts. Heavy emphasis on Romans. Watchman Née was a Christian in China that spent the last twenty years (1950-1970) in prison. He died in prison for his Christian beliefs.

It was difficult to narrow the book down to just a few points. Here are my favorite quotes:

1. p5 - The Blood deals with what we have done, whereas the Cross deals with where we are. The blood disposed of our sins, while the c...more
Ethan
I would give this book ten stars if I could. I can't think of any book outside of the Bible that has so influenced the way I approach the Christian life. So many of the lessons Nee teaches in this book are lessons that I wish everyone could learn and that I had learned long ago. I can't express what this book has taught me and how it has helped me come to a better understanding of the true meaning of the Gospel and the Christian life.

Nee illustrates his points so well with experiences from his o...more
Jackie Bak
One of the best Christian life books I've ever read. If you are a Christian, this is a must read!

I took a few years to read it, studying the chapters and only reading each one as I felt led. Consequently, they have directly applied to many points in my life. I would say this book has impacted my life more than any other book, except the Bible. It truly describes the stages and periods of the Christian walk, in both practical and theological ways.

This book has encouraged me in times of self- hate...more
Amanda
I was raised in the church and have loved Jesus since age six. Nevertheless, I read this book in my mid-twenties and wondered how I had managed as a Christian before it. It's not that Nee is preaching a Gospel we've never heard; it's only that he is uncovering the depth of it in a way that our superficial and shallow culture today tends to neglect.

This is a study through the book of Romans. It is intense and will require slow and thoughtful reading to grasp and appreciate. One could say the mat...more
Joe Duffy

When it comes to explaining new creation realities and the power of the cross of christ, There are very few books that hit the mark like this one. Another that comes to mind is Nee's other amazing work - Sit, Walk, Stand which is also an ABSOLUTE must read. Like others using this site, I own a lot of books but I don't treasure and revere all of them like I do those Nee wrote. As a bible teacher, Nee explains profound truths simply and succinctly, using wonderful illustrations and wasting no word...more
Danielle
This is one of the best books on basic Christianity that I have ever read. Nee methodically goes through Romans 6-8, pointing out the deep truths revealed in these chapters and challenging the reader at every turn. He also has chapters on the Body of Christ, the soul and its part in our walk, bearing the cross daily, and the goal of the Gospel. I found Nee's style and explanations perfect for me. There were so many times that I felt such deep joy while reading, and I attribute that to the truth...more
Emily
Loved this book! I didn't agree with every little detail in the book; however, I thought Watchman Nee does a great job of expressing what the Christian life is all about. He gives clear illustrations from his life to help the reader understand some of the more complex ideas. I think my favorite chapter was the last one. He ended the book with the overarching idea of the Christian Life - it's all about knowing the Lord. I know that sounds like "duh" but it's the truth. It's not about service or e...more
Dana
One of the BEST books I've ever read!

Watchman Nee takes you step by step in sections through the book of Romans and describes in great detail the meaning for the Blood and the Cross of Jesus Christ.

I took my time with this book just to absorb and reflect on what I was reading. Truly astounding what a difference this book has made in my perspective.

I highly recommend for anyone who suffers with people repeatedly recalling your "old man" , rather than look at what God is doing within you now.

B...more
Nathan Eilers
Nov 13, 2008 Nathan Eilers rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Christians
Recommended to Nathan by: Dan
Another Christian foundational work. Nee is encouraging, intelligent, and deep as he discusses what the normal Xn life should look like. The title is delightfully ironic because that life is so different from the one so many of us know. However, through Christ, the beliver has all squi needs to access that better--and more real--life. Nee examples explain nebulous theological concepts extremely well; it must be a gift of his. Brilliant work.

John Martinez
Sep 13, 2008 John Martinez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to John by: Mitchell Martinez (Dad) and Tony Basso
My first Watchman Nee book. Should be the first of many. He has an incredible way of showing the practicability and importance of basic Christian Doctrine. It was amazing how many different illustrations and example's are used to prove verious points.
I was encouraged by Mr. Nee to ask God for a personal revelation that would shock me and show me how much I depended on God to rid me of my sinful nature. I prayed this so that I would truly understand what it means to be crucified with Christ.

God...more
Ragy Nekhela
That book is nearly the greatest book I've ever read. Every true christian should know the facts that are published in this book. It talks about the power of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection in setting us free from being servants of sin, and not our power or will can do that. I recommend every christian to read this book, it will save him from many accusations and wrong feelings from the evil.
the book is named in Arabic as: (ظ„ط§ ط£ظ†ط§ ط¨ظ„ ط§ظ„ظ…ط³ظٹط­ ) by Watchman Nee
Read in 2009
Brian Eshleman
This is a remarkable author. In the course of his text, he admits to advanced legal training which led secular professors to expect "great things" from him. And yet, he says that when he talked the most unsophisticated folks in rural China, he had to specifically select the simplest word pictures with which to convey spiritual Truth.

His time in this school of God's training shows through in his text and messages method with what he had to teach. He is selling At getting Truth across quietly and...more
JoséMaría BlancoWhite
This is a great, fantastic book for Christians. "The Spirit who dwells within me is no mere influence, but a living Person; He is very God." There are truths that we have learned so well, mechanically, that pass us by without becoming real and alive, through meditation, in our hearts and souls. When one reads Mr. Nee one has the feeling that knowledge becomes revelation, and that the political map of our normal Christian life becomes suddenly a relief map. I believe that this precious book will...more
Amelia Delrio
Great great teaching book!! Thank You Jesus for Watchman Née
Mark
I first read the Normal Christian Life in 1982. At the time, it seemed like a good book. I was wrong... it is a fantastic book. I know of no other book which does as a complete a job of explaining how Romans 5-8 plays out in our lives. Anyone who reads and understands this book will find themselves freed to follow God wholly. Too often we try to please God through our own efforts... this never works. The start and finish of life is God's gracious love.
Hye Sung
I read this a few years back and remember how freeing it was then, and recently decided to pick it up again. Let me say that it surely rekindled that freedom and brought even more revelation. Nee is easy to read but he packs a lot in each punch. Throughout this book, he unpacks the freedom we have through the grace of Christ and the glorious power of the Holy Spirit. This is a book every believer needs to read.
Adam Shields
Short Review: This was a free audiobook from christianaudio.com. It was originally published in 1957 in English but based on a series of lectures from 1938-39. Mostly it is a commentary on Romans. And there is a lot of good stuff about how we live as Christians. But also there is some odd stuff here. Nee does not fit nicely into theological categories. So he sounds like a calvinist when he talks about grace, he sounds like an arminian when talking about dying to Christ, and he clearly has pentec...more
  • Abide in Christ
  • The Calvary Road
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • The Final Quest
  • The Three Battlegrounds: An In-Depth View of the Three Arenas of Spiritual Warfare: The Mind, the Church and the Heavenly Places
  • Basic Christianity (IVP Classics)
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • Hudson Taylor
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
Watchman Nee (Chinese: 倪柝聲; pinyin: Ní Tuòshēng; Foochow Romanized: Ngà̤ Táuk-sĭng; 1903–1972) was a Chinese Christian author and church leader during the early 20th century. He spent the last 20 years of his life in prison and was severely persecuted by the Communists in China. Together with Wangzai, Zhou-An Lee, Shang-Jie Song, and others, Nee founded The Church Assembly Hall, later which would...more
More about Watchman Nee...
Sit, Walk, Stand (Repkg) Spiritual Authority The Spiritual Man Release of the Spirit: The Breaking of the Outward Man for Let Us Pray

“A drowning man cannot be saved until he is utterly exhausted and ceases to make the slightest effort to save himself.” 19 likes
“Our old history ends with the Cross; our new history begins with the resurrection.” 14 likes