Start by marking “The Normal Christian Life” as Want to Read:
The Normal Christian Life

The Normal Christian Life (The Collected Works of Watchman Nee #33)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  5,453 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Watchman Nee's great Christian classic tracing the steps along the pathway of faith and presenting the eternal purpose of God in simple terms. Its central theme: "Christ our Life.
Published December 1st 1979 by Christian Literature Crusade (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Normal Christian Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Normal Christian Life

Dave Johnson
Nov 30, 2009 Dave Johnson rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. This is the best book I've ever read--and I absolutely mean that with all the sincerity that I can muster.

This book was so good, in fact, that it made me reevaluate how I rate books. There is absolutely nothing flawed in it. NOTHING. And Nee's message was poignant, timeless, and so powerful that it really affected my life. It changed me. I mean, it's almost unbelievable. His message of grace and of the blood, cross, and life of Christ is amazing. His message on the Holy Spirit--tho
Nathanael
Nov 28, 2007 Nathanael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am rather biased about this book because I read it during a cross-roads in my life and it influenced me in a way that has only brought joy and fulfillment.

Nee does an incredible job of exploring the scope of what Christ spiritually accomplished in His death, resurrection, and ascension. Having been raised Christian, I knew all the stories and could repeat what Jesus did for us, but most of that was conditioning and I had no personal identification with any of it. Through this book I was able
Joe Dantona
Oct 10, 2011 Joe Dantona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watchman Nee had a profound understanding of the normal Christian life, which is wholly different from the 'average' Christian life. The normal Christian life consists of realizing and acknowledging the divine fact that Christians were (not will be) crucified with Christ in the first century A.D. In a way that we do not yet understand, God has included us in the death (and resurrection) of His only Son, and by doing has made many sons. The Christian life goes off-track when it forgets these fact ...more
Austin Zhang
Feb 02, 2016 Austin Zhang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"God shows us through His Word that He has only one answer to every human need: His Son, Jesus Christ." ~Watchman Nee

I've been meaning to read this book for a while now and I finally go the chance this year. I did try to read this book, though, a year ago, but nothing really came out of it, so I stopped. But after reading it this year, I was truly amazed by the various aspects that are required of us to live a normal Christian life which just focuses all on Jesus Christ Himself.

Watchman Nee pre
Ron
Nee's classic study of the book of Romans.

Everything positive I wrote about the ebook edition of The Normal Christian Church Life applies to this edition.

This is a new experience for me. Having purchased and read the ebook version of The Normal Christian Church Life, I purchased the hard copy and read it as well. (I bought it because of the frustration trying to find passages for reference and quoting. Immediately, I noticed how much better this edition was. I haven't done a line for line compar
Dustin
Feb 27, 2012 Dustin rated it it was amazing
This is a book that is in a handful of life-changers on my shelf. Watchman Nee so clearly communicates the Gospel message and the effect of Christ's atoning death on the Cross. Before reading, I wouldn't have been able to articulate the Gospel message effectively, but after, I finally felt I had something to stand on.

The book is timeless, a joy to read, easy to understand, and highly recommended to everyone, especially those new to the Christian faith.

I was also ecstatic when I found it for sale
Bryan Robinson
Oct 28, 2012 Bryan Robinson rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful, deep book written about the Christian living in Christ, as opposed to living in our own efforts. Heavy emphasis on Romans. Watchman Née was a Christian in China that spent the last twenty years (1950-1970) in prison. He died in prison for his Christian beliefs.

It was difficult to narrow the book down to just a few points. Here are my favorite quotes:

1. p5 - The Blood deals with what we have done, whereas the Cross deals with where we are. The blood disposed of our sins, while the c
Dana Roberts
Aug 02, 2013 Dana Roberts rated it liked it
Recommended to Dana by: An Episcopal charismatic pastor
A GOOD BOOK FATALLY FLAWED.

I read this book five times. Underlined and yellowed. Finally the binding went and I relied upon an ebook. As I read more I realized that is just one, often repeated, form of Keswick and Brethren sanctification. Some have called Nee's theology gnostic and that's what appealed to others. We have our own Dalai Lama. We don't have to think. I found the great teacher. To disagree with Nee is immediately labeled as 'unspiritual." Well maybe it is but maybe it isn't.

The ke
May 30, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I read this many years ago and remember enjoying it. This time I have not only enjoyed it, but I have found it rather revolutionary.

(view spoiler)
Steve
Oct 24, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for Christians. I'm not that informed on the life of Watchman Nee and I hear that he had a problem with Protestants and Catholics in his time and a few other strange things about him. But I've heard similar things about the late writings of Martin Luther. I will say that this book is uplifting and Nee does an amazing job of describing simply the complex mysteries of our faith. There were a few things that I didn't completely agree with him on but that's pretty much every ...more
Cheryl
Sep 26, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This author spoke to my heart in powerful words on Romans 6-8 and helped me to understand the strength I have in Christ is the source of conquering sin. To live a "normal Christian life" is to live in the Spirit and reckon myself dead to sin. "For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with..." Through the power of Christ I can live a righteous life in the Spirit!
Trice
Jul 16, 2011 Trice rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Trice by: JB's library
examines a truth you've heard a million times and takes it straight to the heart and soul. what a brother to know!
Ann
Feb 15, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best books ever on grace and living in freedom. Required reading for every Christian.
Carlos Montijo
This book is a pleasant surprise, a very interesting and edifying read. I was under the impression that Nee was an imbalanced Charismatic (he is in some cases) with not much to offer, but he does have some very good insights. This book in part is a fairly in-depth study of Romans, which I didn't expect.

There are caveats, to be sure. Nee tends toward extremes when he derives his doctrine from isolated verses without considering the rest of Scripture. He has other tendencies that remind me of lib
Ethan
I would give this book ten stars if I could. I can't think of any book outside of the Bible that has so influenced the way I approach the Christian life. So many of the lessons Nee teaches in this book are lessons that I wish everyone could learn and that I had learned long ago. I can't express what this book has taught me and how it has helped me come to a better understanding of the true meaning of the Gospel and the Christian life.

Nee illustrates his points so well with experiences from his o
Jeff
Oct 19, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure I've read this book before, but can't remember how I felt about it. There are some pretty good points in this book, which mostly centers on the idea that everything we need to live "the normal Christian life" has already been done for us by Christ. It was all accomplished in the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ. I have no problem with that. In fact, I pretty much go along with it, and it is a very freeing truth. Once we figure out this basic truth, the problem of tryi ...more
Jackie Bak
Dec 27, 2013 Jackie Bak rated it it was amazing
One of the best Christian life books I've ever read. If you are a Christian, this is a must read!

I took a few years to read it, studying the chapters and only reading each one as I felt led. Consequently, they have directly applied to many points in my life. I would say this book has impacted my life more than any other book, except the Bible. It truly describes the stages and periods of the Christian walk, in both practical and theological ways.

This book has encouraged me in times of self- hate
Amanda
Feb 04, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I was raised in the church and have loved Jesus since age six. Nevertheless, I read this book in my mid-twenties and wondered how I had managed as a Christian before it. It's not that Nee is preaching a Gospel we've never heard; it's only that he is uncovering the depth of it in a way that our superficial and shallow culture today tends to neglect.

This is a study through the book of Romans. It is intense and will require slow and thoughtful reading to grasp and appreciate. One could say the mat
Danielle
Mar 21, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on basic Christianity that I have ever read. Nee methodically goes through Romans 6-8, pointing out the deep truths revealed in these chapters and challenging the reader at every turn. He also has chapters on the Body of Christ, the soul and its part in our walk, bearing the cross daily, and the goal of the Gospel. I found Nee's style and explanations perfect for me. There were so many times that I felt such deep joy while reading, and I attribute that to the truth ...more
Joe Duffy
Apr 12, 2013 Joe Duffy rated it it was amazing

When it comes to explaining new creation realities and the power of the cross of christ, There are very few books that hit the mark like this one. Another that comes to mind is Nee's other amazing work - Sit, Walk, Stand which is also an ABSOLUTE must read. Like others using this site, I own a lot of books but I don't treasure and revere all of them like I do those Nee wrote. As a bible teacher, Nee explains profound truths simply and succinctly, using wonderful illustrations and wasting no word
Nathan Eilers
Nov 13, 2008 Nathan Eilers rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians
Recommended to Nathan by: Dan
Another Christian foundational work. Nee is encouraging, intelligent, and deep as he discusses what the normal Xn life should look like. The title is delightfully ironic because that life is so different from the one so many of us know. However, through Christ, the beliver has all squi needs to access that better--and more real--life. Nee examples explain nebulous theological concepts extremely well; it must be a gift of his. Brilliant work.

Emily
Oct 05, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I didn't agree with every little detail in the book; however, I thought Watchman Nee does a great job of expressing what the Christian life is all about. He gives clear illustrations from his life to help the reader understand some of the more complex ideas. I think my favorite chapter was the last one. He ended the book with the overarching idea of the Christian Life - it's all about knowing the Lord. I know that sounds like "duh" but it's the truth. It's not about service or e ...more
Dana
Nov 26, 2013 Dana rated it it was amazing
One of the BEST books I've ever read!

Watchman Nee takes you step by step in sections through the book of Romans and describes in great detail the meaning for the Blood and the Cross of Jesus Christ.

I took my time with this book just to absorb and reflect on what I was reading. Truly astounding what a difference this book has made in my perspective.

I highly recommend for anyone who suffers with people repeatedly recalling your "old man" , rather than look at what God is doing within you now.

B
John Martinez
Sep 13, 2008 John Martinez rated it it was amazing
Recommended to John by: Mitchell Martinez (Dad) and Tony Basso
My first Watchman Nee book. Should be the first of many. He has an incredible way of showing the practicability and importance of basic Christian Doctrine. It was amazing how many different illustrations and example's are used to prove verious points.
I was encouraged by Mr. Nee to ask God for a personal revelation that would shock me and show me how much I depended on God to rid me of my sinful nature. I prayed this so that I would truly understand what it means to be crucified with Christ.

God
Hye Sung
Jan 26, 2013 Hye Sung rated it it was amazing
I read this a few years back and remember how freeing it was then, and recently decided to pick it up again. Let me say that it surely rekindled that freedom and brought even more revelation. Nee is easy to read but he packs a lot in each punch. Throughout this book, he unpacks the freedom we have through the grace of Christ and the glorious power of the Holy Spirit. This is a book every believer needs to read.
Mark
Nov 20, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, kindle
I first read the Normal Christian Life in 1982. At the time, it seemed like a good book. I was wrong... it is a fantastic book. I know of no other book which does as a complete a job of explaining how Romans 5-8 plays out in our lives. Anyone who reads and understands this book will find themselves freed to follow God wholly. Too often we try to please God through our own efforts... this never works. The start and finish of life is God's gracious love.
Larry
Jan 09, 2015 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An insightful look at the heart of the Book of Romans, this book moves into my top 25 most significant books. For me, it is in the order of The Saving Life of Christ and The Mind of Christ. Perhaps it's something about the keen Asian mind of Nee that brings exceedingly fine thinking to Paul's words and unpacks the text in a way that sheds fresh light on Christ's work. I also see Know Be Do all through the book, although Nee doesn't identify it like that. I highly recommend the book.
Ragy Nekhela
Aug 03, 2011 Ragy Nekhela rated it it was amazing
That book is nearly the greatest book I've ever read. Every true christian should know the facts that are published in this book. It talks about the power of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection in setting us free from being servants of sin, and not our power or will can do that. I recommend every christian to read this book, it will save him from many accusations and wrong feelings from the evil.
the book is named in Arabic as: (ظ„ط§ طظ†ط§ طظ„ ط§ظ„ظ…ط³ظٹط ) by Watchman Nee
Read in 2009
Gayle
Feb 07, 2013 Gayle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-life
If I could give this book more stars I would. It spoke to me in ways that I never anticipated and I've fallen in love with Watchman Nee's writings. I will definitely be reading more of his books. I highly recommend this for Christians who are seeking to grow in their understanding of their walk with Christ. There is depth that is understandable; something not always found.
Dave Borders
Aug 26, 2009 Dave Borders rated it it was amazing
This book is almost too good. It is not an easy read by any means. I usually can only read a paragraph or two before I have to stop and reflect. Watchman Nee was an amazing man as well, as I learned reading a biography. He never answered any of his critics even when they told outright lies about him. He was always confident that God would vindicate him.

Give this book a shot.
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God
  • Jesus: A Theography
  • Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Holiness Truth and Presence of
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
Watchman Nee (Chinese: 倪柝聲; pinyin: Ní Tuòshēng; Foochow Romanized: Ngà Táuk-sĭng; 1903–1972) was a Chinese Christian author and church leader during the early 20th century. He spent the last 20 years of his life in prison and was severely persecuted by the Communists in China. Together with Wangzai, Zhou-An Lee, Shang-Jie Song, and others, Nee founded The Church Assembly Hall, later which would b ...more
More about Watchman Nee...

The Collected Works of Watchman Nee (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • The Christian Life and Warfare (The Collected Works of Watchman Nee)
  • The Word of the Cross
  • The Christian (1)
  • The Christian (2)
  • The Christian (3)
  • The Christian (4)
  • The Christian (5)
  • The Present Testimony (1) (The Collected Works of Watchman Nee Book 8)
  • The Present Testimony (2)
  • The Present Testimony (3)

“A drowning man cannot be saved until he is utterly exhausted and ceases to make the slightest effort to save himself.” 35 likes
“Our old history ends with the Cross; our new history begins with the resurrection.” 27 likes