Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice

Read Book* *Different edition

Pride and Prejudice

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  2,150,193 Ratings  ·  48,416 Reviews
In this historic romance, young Elizabeth Bennet strives for love, independence and honesty in the vapid high society of 19th century England.
ebook, Modern Student's Library, 486 pages
Published 1918 by Charles Scribner's Sons (first published 1813)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.

Thomas Do you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most…moreDo you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most eReaders/eReader apps come with an inbuilt dictionary. I think that being able to look up words and phrases immediately helped me to enjoy Pride and Prejudice and understand it well, unlike most of my classmates, who ended up hating it because they were frustrated with the writing. I'm 14 years old and I read it this year so age shouldn't be a problem.

As weird as this method sounds, it really worked and for me, has made reading classics fun rather than a chore. Pride and Prejudice is (legally) free to download as an eBook, so why not give it a try?

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you enjoy Pride and Prejudice; it's such a great book :)(less)
Tanmay Tikekar Though not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than…moreThough not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than Wilde, though.(less)

Stephen
6.0 stars. Confession...this book gave me an earth-shattering Janeaustegasm and I am feeling a bit spent and vulnerable at the moment, so please bear with me. You see, I decided I wanted to get more literated by reading the "classicals" in between my steady flow of science fiction, mystery and horror. The question was where to begin.

After sherlocking through my Easton Press collection, I started by pulling out my Dickens and reading A Tale of Two Cities which I thought was jaw-dropping AMAZO and
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2008 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
Shelves: i-own
NOTE: The review you are about to read was written in 2009. 2009! That's 8 years ago! I was 17 and thought I was the smartest person ever! In all honesty I barely remember this book. So, negative comments regarding my intelligence are no longer necessary. They will be ignored. As they have been for probably 6 years now. CARRY ON!

P.S. Can we all just LOL at my use of the words "mind-numbing balls"?? HA.

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why this book
MacK
Aug 12, 2007 MacK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where my massive crush on Jane Austen began: alone, on a hot day in Montana, cursing her name.

I had to read it for AP English and I could not see the point. Girls need to marry. Girls can't get married. Girls are sad. Girls get married. Girls are happy.

I went to school to half heartedly discuss it and waffled and wavered in an effort to please my teacher. Finally she said: "was it good or not, Ben?"

"No it wasn't."

"Thank you...now read this twenty pages of literary criticism for homework."

Twenty
Zoë
May 07, 2012 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
THIS BOOK IS MY JAM. JANE AUSTEN IS MY JAM. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT HER AND THIS BOOK. READ THIS BOOK. THAT IS ALL.
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
I finally did it!!!! And I loved it!!!!
Troy
Mar 20, 2009 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was forced to read this by my future wife.
I was not, however, forced to give it 5 stars.
Rolls
Mar 07, 2007 Rolls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is unafraid to be seen reading this on the subway
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen started off annoying me and ended up enchanting me. Up until about page one hundred I found this book vexing, frivolous and down right tedious. I now count myself as a convert to the Austen cult.

I must confess I have been known to express an antipathy for anything written or set before 1900. I just cannot get down with corsets, outdoor plumbing and buggy rides. Whenever someone dips a quill into an inkwell my eyes glaze over. This is a shortcoming I readily
Anne
Feb 25, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mainly women
Critics who consider Austen's works trivial because of their rigid, upper-class setting, wealthy characters, domestic, mannered plots and happy endings are almost totally disconnected from reality, as far as I can tell. What can they possibly expect an upper-middle class English woman to write about in 1813 but what she knows or can imagine? Sci-fi? A history of the American Revolution? A real-life exposé of underage exploitation in the garment district of London? Come on. What other setting can ...more
Richard Derus
Jun 24, 2010 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-loathed books I've re-read

Rating: 4 very annoyed, crow-feathered stars out of five

The Book Report: No. Seriously. If your first language isn't English, or if you're like nine years old, you might not know the story. Note use of conditional.

My Review: All right. All right, dammit! I re-read the bloody thing. I gave it two stars before. I was wrong-headed and obtuse and testosterone poisoned. I refuse to give it five stars, though. Look, I've admitted I was wrong about how beautiful the writ
Ana
“We are all fools in love.”

Why didn't I read this book sooner?

I must admit, I didn't initially understand all the fuss surrounding this novel. I did not understand why so many millions of readers love it. It seemed to me they were all a bunch of romantic fools. Now that I am 'one of them', I can report back that the Pride and Prejudice fandom is actually full of normal people who care passionately about the characters.

I instantly fell in love with the story and its amazing characters. Marvello
Anne
Mr. Darcy...
*swoons*

description

First, we need to clear something up. Colin Firth is the only Mr. Darcy.
That other Mr. Darcy was horrible! No, no, no, no, nooooo!
Make it stop. Make. It. Stop. Tell the bad man to go away, Mommy!

description

So, quite obviously, the BBC miniseries (in all its 327 minute glory) is the only version that is acceptable. The other movie was such a travesty to this book, that I wept big, fat, angry tears...like the spoiled brat that I am.
Or maybe I'm exaggerating slightly.
What were they think
Bookdragon Sean
Society, with all its restrictive constructs, is one nasty piece of work.

It comes with so many silly rules, so many silly expectations. Those of social station and wealth must be seen to marry someone of the same “worth” regardless of the feelings involved; they must be seen to marry someone on their level of class structure. But what of love? What of passion? Should it be quenched because of these all-encompassing silly constructs?

Austen doesn’t think so.

Enter Darcy, a man who is royally pis
Sherwood Smith
Some years back in one of my APAs, someone castigated Jane Austen's books like this: "All those daft twits rabbiting on about clothes and boyfriends and manners."

Since then, I’ve encountered other variations on the theme that a modern woman ought not to be reading such trash because it sets feminism back two centuries.

Well, much as I laughed over the first caveat, that isn't Austen. It sounds more like the silver fork romances inspired by Georgette Heyer. Austen's characters don't talk about clo
karen
May 27, 2009 karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like their pride and prejudice without zombies
Recommended to karen by: the whole world
it is official: now everyone on the planet has read this book. i was the last holdout, and being the last person (excluding those who are just being born...... now) i am sorry i didnt like it more. i knew going into it that i was not a jane austen girl; i had read two others and thought them bloodless and mercantile. but everyone said to me, "well, you havent read pride and prejudice is why you dont like her." which i thought might be valid. but its not. because i still dont care. this is not th ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I am so genuinely surprised at the positive experience I had reading this book! I had so much fun reading it and can now understand why people love it so much :3 Let's be real this deserves 5 stars <3

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 9. A book mentioned in another book
Jasmin
May 08, 2010 Jasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to widen their vocabulary and of course hopeless romantics
Recommended to Jasmin by: Filipino Group
"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that it had begun."

This was Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy's reply when Ms. Elizabeth Bennet asked him when he fell in love with her.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen had put my left out dictionary into good use. I have to admit, I was very slow in the first pages, however, nearing the end, I was like a driver going at 100mph, eager to reach the finish lin
Otis Chandler
Oct 10, 2006 Otis Chandler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Lizzy
Just a few words to express how I loved Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. So much has already been said, that I feel almost redundant.

'Pride and Prejudice' for me is above all about women’s choices in marriage, or the possibility of love versus choosing for money or social position. During Austen's time, marriage was the only option a woman had, except if she was rich enough to disregard the expectations of society; except if she was willing to live as a poor relation, which usually meant bein
Peter Meredith
18 chapters in... I want that to sink in for a moment... ok. 18 chapters in and NOTHING has happened. I am enjoying her writing style very much, but I also enjoy the back of an occasional cereal box so that may not mean much. We will see.
I am sitting here eating a tootsie roll, a Halloween left over, and I can't help notice the similarities between it and the novel Pride and Prejudice. First off, like P and P, the tootsie roll wasn't one of those dinky ones that you can almost swallow in a singl
Cait • A Page with a View
I know we're all here for this:

But I just love EVERY single character so much. The entire Bennet family is hilariously perfect -- I even have this weird fondness for Mr. Collins. Pride & Prejudice retellings will forever be my favorite because there's just so much you can do with these characters.

Has anyone written a decent book from Bingley's perspective? Pretty sure he's actually my favorite Austen guy...
Bill  Kerwin
Jul 26, 2007 Bill Kerwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A quintessential novel of manners. Fine moral intelligence and subtle psychological insight expressed in a straightforward, epigrammatic style. I read it for the first time forty years ago, and I am still half in love with Eliza Bennet.
Rosianna
I'm a great believer in the idea that if anyone didn't like this book it's because they didn't read it properly and/or are possessed. In all seriousness, the wit is timeless and Austen should always be remembered as a literary genius, as I hope she will.
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 27, 2011 Nandakishore Varma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
If somebody had told me that I'd love a romance before I read this book, I would have laughed derisively.

In my late teens, romance was just not my cup of tea: it was meant for (yechch!) - girls. I was happily reading about those brave and hardy men who blew up German castles (during World War II) and evil Communist strongholds (after the war). The only women in those books were beautiful spies or dangerous adventuresses.

A few years later, my aunt pointed me to this book, after I had rather enjoy
Jason Koivu
Will I read Pride and Prejudice again? Yes, a thousand times, yes!

Near perfection! P & P is one of those rare gems that weds character, plot and language all in one harmonious marriage.

Austen's plotting is so very precise here. It's an absolute pleasure to behold. The timing is impeccable and there is very little, if any, fat in the prose to slow it down. Finding new clues to future plot twists and turns with each reread has reached the level of a sport for me now!

They say, write what you
Maureen
Jul 09, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a reread for me, I just didn't actively use GR when I read it before!
Man I really love Jane Austen. I still don't think this has topped Sense & Sensibility as my favorite, but it's still so GOOD!
I think the book does a better job of portraying Darcy in a different light than the 2005 movie, you can actually see his affections changing through some dialogue that isn't in that movie, and you can also see a bit more of the fault of Elizabeth for her prejudiced thoughts against
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》

LMAO!

“I could easily forgive his pride,
if he had not mortified mine.”

Buddy read with my new cousin!!
Well, she isn't new, i just met her a few days ago for the first time. Now she hates me because I was just making fun of/ laughing at our dear Mr. Darcy the whole time. Oppps, not my fault that he is a first class jerk! That marriage proposal though! He should be giving lessons on romance and how to make a girl feel special.

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Jasmine [Semi-hiatus]
In view of creating a more pleasant atmosphere, I strongly suggest you read the following review AND the book itself with the most elegant, articulate British accent!

***This is by far the best classic literature I’ve read!!!***

To begin with, Pride and Prejudice mainly surrounded several families and relatives of the Bennets, depicting their second daughter, Elizabeth’s, love story and all the turning points until she met and settled with Mr. Handsome Darcy. To my surprise, there weren’t many cha
Henry Avila
Jun 06, 2012 Henry Avila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's most famous novel, the story of a man with five unmarried, but attractive daughters, from the oldest to youngest, Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Catherine and Lydia, 15, in Regency England, during the unending, Napoleonic Wars. When Mr. Bennet is no longer breathing, his beautiful house will be inherited by a distant cousin, in both miles and blood, Mr. Collins, they have never seen (women during that era, loss their property to the nearest male relative, in such circu ...more
Steve
Jun 20, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Susan, Gary, Suzanne
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an author possessing immense talent and a good story to tell, must be in want of a reader like me to bestow upon it the laurels it merits. How else will anyone hear of it?

OK, so P&P may not need my help. The word is likely already out. What that means is that I can scurry around the periphery of the story itself, make a few small points, and move on with near certitude that Miss Austen will have an audience regardless.

It had been quite a while sin
  • Faro's Daughter
  • A Little Princess
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • The Small House at Allington (Chronicles of Barsetshire #5)
  • Good Wives (Little Women, #1.5)
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Cecilia
  • Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
  • A Woman of No Importance
  • North and South
  • Mrs. Dalloway
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...

“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” 15957 likes
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 15791 likes