Start by marking “The Mount Rushmore Calamity” as Want to Read:
The Mount Rushmore Calamity

The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Saddle up with Flat Stanley

Published April 21st 2009 by HarperCollins (first published April 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mount Rushmore Calamity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mount Rushmore Calamity

Debbie
Feb 01, 2013 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
In 1964, Jeff Brown introduced readers to a character named Flat Stanley.

Flat Stanley's name is actually Stanley Lambchop, but a bulletin board fell on him, turning him from a three-dimensional boy into a flat one. Hence, he is called Flat Stanley. Much beloved, Flat Stanley evolved into a very popular project through which schoolchildren draw a Flat Stanley, cut it out, and mail it to friends and family in far off places.

A huge success, Flat Stanley also evolved into a series of early readers.
Karen Dransfield
A new series of books with Flat Stanley off having adventures in different places. I became interested in reading this series after reading about the geography activity of kids creating their own Flat Stanley, cardboard cut outs, and posting them far away. The receiver of the letter with the Flat Stanley takes the cardboard cut out and has an adventure with them. Taking photo's of them doing things and they post them back. A great way to learn about new places and write letters to people.

This st
Trevor Anderson
Feb 24, 2014 Trevor Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
flat stanley by: sara pennypacker. it is about a boy that is traveling to mount rushmore. and how he got the name flat stanley was because he got flatened by a boliten board so now it is hard for him to travel without flying away.
Suzanne Tanner
Finished 11/25/16. Josh would probably give this a 4 or 5 star rating. He really enjoyed it, was super intrigued by this idea of a flat boy, and it was at a good level for his comprehension. We will definitely have to visit this series some more.
Tara Mccarty-hunsberger
Flat Stanley and his friends go on an adventure to Mt. Rushmore. Cute, quick fantasy. Kids will love it.
Trent Welbaum
Nov 01, 2016 Trent Welbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanley is back at it again where he is the only person who can save the day, but this time he and his brother are trapped inside of Mount Rushmore after it collapsed and caved in. He is the only one that can escape because of how tiny he is, but he can go back and get help for his brother.
Nicola Mansfield
Amazon credits this as *by* Jeff Brown and since I'd never heard of this follow up series I was rather disappointed to find out it is not written by him at all, only based on his character. Anyway, the actual author, Sara Pennypacker, did a nice job here and I was well pleased with this start to a series about Stanley while he is still flat. Now since he is cured in the original book, I guess we are to assume these adventures occur during that time. I was always upset as a kid that Stanley was f ...more
Robert
Nov 19, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owen-s-books
Owen says: Four stars. I liked learning more about what cowboys do. I kind of liked it when Abraham Lincoln's face fell off. I think it was funny. If you like Flat Stanley books, you should read it.

Rob says: Three stars. Another extension in the Flat Stanley franchise. While the original books have an old-time Zany flavor to them, this modern update loses some of that feeling of magical realism and replaces it with a standard children's adventure book in which the hero happens to be flat. Still,
Katie Nanney
I have never read a Flat Stanley book before and this one was interesting. I had heard about the Flat Stanley project before, but I had never read one of the books. I liked the concept of having a person be flat and able to things other 3D people cannot do. However; I did not like that they rolled up Stanley and put him on the back of a horse. He had no way to stop himself from falling off with his arms rolled up. The trip to Mount Rushmore and the adventures that ensued were entertaining. I can ...more
Heather
May 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, history
37 months - this was the first Flat Stanley book we've read. I picked it out because we were on a trip to Mount Rushmore and I thought it would be a fun way for O to connect with what we were going to see and maybe learn something about the area, the monument etc. I was disappointed as there really wasn't much in the way of history or geography facts within the story. The story was ok and if nothing else O at least has a better idea of who Flat Stanley is for the next time we take one on an adv ...more
Alicia Scully
I had never read a Flat Stanly book so I wasn't sure what to expect. This book isn't the most well written, but there is constant adventure and humerus family interactions throughout. I liked getting to see what Stanley would be able to do next and suspending my disbelief. It was cute. It's also a good introduction from easy readers to chapter books. This one isn't too dense and it has a pretty good pace. I'd recommend it.

For: fans of the easy reader series with the same characters; readers wan
Mary
Feb 09, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: NYRA 2011 nominee
This was very silly and in the nature of Flat Stanley. I don't think it should be nominated for NYRA.
Saddle up with Flat Stanley
Ever since Stanley was flattened by a bulletin board, every trip is an adventure!
The whole Lambchop family is off to see Mount Rushmore. But when Flat Stanley and his brother, Arthur, team up with a scrappy cowgirl named Calamity Jasper, their vacation turns into the Wild West experience of a lifetime. Pretty soon, they find themselves in a real tight spot—even for a
Angie
Feb 28, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
For a pre-K to 4th grade reader, I'd give this book 5 stars. My kindergartner loved it and is anxious to read more of Flat Stanley's adventures. (FYI-The text was written on a 2nd-4th grade reading level.)

But I'm rating this book for me, an adult reading out loud to my son. I didn't enjoy the story or plot as much as I expected. It left me a little flat(yes, pun intended). There was a tiny bit of history and facts thrown in a tiny adventure. I just expected more. I did like that it was a quick r
Asield014
Sep 29, 2011 Asield014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-trimester
I liked this book because I like adventure books. When I saw this book I immediately read this book. I literally grabbed this book went to my room and started to read it. I also read this book because I usually don't go on vacations so I read this book because it looked interesting.
I gave this book 5 stars because I like reading Adventure books so this book looked interesting to me. This book is also a series and i liked reading those as well. If I had to choose a favorite book of the flat stanl
Vivian Lam
Jan 05, 2012 Vivian Lam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book even if it is for little kids. In this book Stanley and his brother go on a trip to Mount Rushmore. On page 15 it said " with a terrible sound, a large crack split open along Abraham Lincoln's hairline. The great carved face began to slide away down the mountainside... With Arthur on it!" that part almost gave me a heart attack. I thought that Arthur was going to die. After Stanley saved Arthur I was go happy but when I saw that Arthur was sad because people were crowding ...more
Brenda
Apr 19, 2009 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an adorable book that depicts the rivalry between brothers over fame and a girl. What ensues is a story that makes you feel like you are in the Wild West around a campfire. In the end, the boys learn a lesson about combining strength and flatness to move obstacles. I highly recommend this book as it accurately captures the essence of youth and friendship and is an enjoyable read for the whole family with the bonus of a little history as well.
Sara
Feb 07, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some of the Flat Stanley books, I find it confusing the lessons that they are trying to teach or educate the children. It seems in all of them that the parents think that it is ok to mail their son because they bought too many things on vacation. How does that even seem remotely like a good parent? It is different when the kids encourage Stanley to use his flatness, but sometimes they just go too far.
Melissa Gregory
This is an action packed story that fits right in with the rest of the series in that it is a very fun read for young readers because it gives little history tidbits while still reading and going through the adventure. In this wild adventure Stanley and his brother take off to explore and meet up with a girl named calamity takes hem on a wild ride. this is a great read for grades 2-4.
Karen Arendt
This was a nice story. I think it would appeal to boys because of the cowboy lingo and adventures Stanley and his brother have. There is a strong female role, too, though to broaden the appeal. The author, Sarah Pennypacker, had some creative uses for Stanley and his flatness came in handy more than once. This would be a good book for Camp Read a Lot.
Tiffany
Flat Stanley is world re-known! What humor and fun in The Mount Rushmore Calamity, part of a series. Flat Stanley and his family visit the Mount Rushmore and meet a cowgirl named Calmity Jasper. Adventures on horseback as well as discovering gold are just some of the fun Stanley and his brother Arthur enjoy. Lively read for boys around second through fourth-grade.
Sunshine
Stanely and his whimsical family remind me fondly of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series and it's flirtations with "magic". While there facts to be absorbed as we follow our loveable characters through their mishaps and adventures, perhaps the true value of this book lies in it's ability to force it's young readers into considering, "How would I solve this problem?"
Kristen
I wasn't sure what to think about this book. The characters were all... well, flat and basically just caricatures embodying stereotypes like the mom who can make gourmet food from camp provisions, and a Native American who just naturally knows how to track animals and send smoke signals. If these people were written that way to be ironic somehow, it wasn't clear. The plot was gentle and sparse.
Angela Lambkin
Jan 30, 2016 Angela Lambkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The great adventures of Flat Stanley and his family!

Wow! What an adventure this was with Stanley and his family going to Mount Rushmore! I recommend this for any young kids who enjoys adventures such as this. one definitely was. And also for five stars! I received this ebook for free and in return here now is my honest review! Great job author! By Angela
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 Tam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. But I kind of don't like the way Brown writes. It doesn't feel natural when you're reading aloud. I guess it just makes it difficult when you're reading aloud what the characters are speaking....like this---> "Starting to talk," said Stanley, "finishes sentence." It really really bothers me.

Shaundell
Flat Stanley is so names because his bulletin board in his room fell on top of him and flattened him. He is a local celebrity. In this book, he and his family are traveling to South Dakota, where they see Mt. Rushmore and are able to participate in a gold rush.
Dree
OK, 3.5 stars. A new series of Flat Stanley stories. That are just as meh as the original. I read these out loud to my first grader as bedtime stories (his choice). The writing is so stilted, and am I the only one who really doesn't like Stanley's parents?
Stacie
Oct 16, 2016 Stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanley got flatten by a bulletin board and now is flat! He and his family goes to Mount Rushmore where he is used as a lever, troth, blanket smoke signal, kite and the he gets mailed home! The stories are a little silly but does have some educational value.
Tal
Sep 30, 2009 Tal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book for kids! it speaks to competition between siblings, "girl issues" (not in depth though, thank goodness) and different things Mount Rushmore has to offer. good book all the way around!
Carterkempgmail.Com
Ok for what it is, a beginning chapter book. These new Flat Stanley books are written by Sara Pennypacker, whose 'Clementine' books are much funnier than this. Still, I can see some kids enjoying this enough to read another.
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
The Mount Rushmore book keeps students engaged. I teach second grade and they are fascinated by his adventure. I like the big vocaulary words in this book which requires the reader to use context clues.
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #9: The US Capital Commotion
  • Summer Vacation from the Black Lagoon
  • Trouble at the Arcade (The Hardy Boys: Secret Files, #1)
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • Thanksgiving Turkey Trouble (Ready, Freddy!, #15)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Horrible Harry and the Holidaze
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)

Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • The Japanese Ninja Surprise (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #3)
  • The Intrepid Canadian Expedition (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #4)
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • The Flying Chinese Wonders (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #7)
  • The Australian Boomerang Bonanza (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #8)
  • Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #9: The US Capital Commotion
  • Showdown at the Alamo (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #10)
  • Framed in France (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #11)