Start by marking “Growing Great Garlic: The Definitive Guide for Organic Gardeners and Small Farmers” as Want to Read:

The first garlic book written specifically for organic gardeners and small-scale farmers

Growing Great Garlic is the definitive grower's guide written by a small scale farmer who makes his living growing over 200 strains of garlic. Commercial growers will want to consult this book regularly.

The author tells us:

which strains to plant

when to fertilize

when to plant

when to pr
Published November 1st 1991 by Filaree Productions

To ask other readers questions about Growing Great Garlic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Great Garlic

Deb
May 07, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
Fact-filled book on one of my very favourite topics, garlic growing. There's some great tips in here and I wish I'd read his advice about not growing too much garlic as an inexperienced grower about 9 months ago .... We live and learn. I've read a few books about garlic this year and it's amazing how this little bulb can generate such passion. It's wonderful stuff.

The only downside of the book is the need to do a lot of on the go conversion - for the months/seasons (October... that's like April
Knarc
Jun 16, 2015 Knarc rated it it was amazing
Great book on growing garlic. I have spent many a night browsing websites on growing garlic and I still felt like I didn't have the "whole picture" I picked up this book and read it cover to cover in a day. I really wish I would have read it earlier. The author presents the information on growing garlic in a very clear and concise way. I highly recommend for beginning garlic growers to read this.
HeavyReader
Aug 26, 2007 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Well, I never actually finished reading this book, but I faced the fact that I was probably never going to finish reading this book, so I decided to take it off my currently reading list. I will probably just give it to Tony...

Anyway, I read enough to know that it is a kick ass book if you are interested in growing garlic, especially if you want to grow enough to sell.

Annie Kate
Oct 11, 2012 Annie Kate rated it really liked it
If you want to grow garlic, you need this book.

On my blog, I detailed how we used this book to make all the major decisions about planting garlic: http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.co...
Carolee
Mar 30, 2011 Carolee rated it liked it
I am looking for another book to read book on garlic. The history was interesting but does not look like it would be easy to use as a reference.
Christy
Nov 25, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
I have only read the parts before harvesting, I will have to add more next summer for an accurate review... I am excited to try the new (to me)varities I ordered and will plant!
captain america
Feb 11, 2014 captain america rated it it was amazing
you wanna grow garlic? throw out any other garlic book you have and read this cover to cover. repeat.
Oct 20, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-library, farming
I am liking this a lot. It's already on my 'to buy' list.

I didn't read this cover to cover but it's just right for me.
Hilary Kukla
Nov 16, 2013 Hilary Kukla rated it it was amazing
The best source for growing garlic! Even if you grow small scale
Catherine
Oct 11, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-farm-garden
Note to self - check this out in the summer for harvesting tips
Jerry Jennings
Jan 19, 2014 Jerry Jennings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegetable-garden

I love this book and I have learned how to grow excellent garlic in the back yard!
Peter
Jan 11, 2010 Peter rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning about growing garlic plus much more.
Carol Ann
Aug 09, 2014 Carol Ann rated it it was amazing
Great format, easy to pick sections of interest. Author shares his experiences. Very detailed. Great book for beginner growers (like me).
Adam Lund
Adam Lund rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Brett Stevens
Brett Stevens rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Kz
Kz rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Michael B Hobbs
Michael B Hobbs rated it really liked it
May 21, 2017
Arne
Arne rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2008
Jennifer Smith
Jennifer Smith rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
John Going
John Going rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Venessa
Venessa rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2007
K
K rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2008
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Hailey
Hailey rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Penny Peterson
Penny Peterson rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Michael Lopez
Michael Lopez rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016