Start by marking “Growing Great Garlic: The Definitive Guide for Organic Gardeners and Small Farmers” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Growing Great Garlic The first garlic book written specifically for organic gardeners and small-scale farmers Growing Great Garlic is the definitive grower's guide written by a small scale farmer who makes his living growing over 200 strains of garlic. Commercial growers will want to consult this book regularly. The author tells us: which strains to plant when to fertilize ...more
Published July 31st 1995 by Filaree Productions (first published November 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Great Garlic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Great Garlic

Knarc
Great book on growing garlic. I have spent many a night browsing websites on growing garlic and I still felt like I didn't have the "whole picture" I picked up this book and read it cover to cover in a day. I really wish I would have read it earlier. The author presents the information on growing garlic in a very clear and concise way. I highly recommend for beginning garlic growers to read this.
Carol Ann
Great format, easy to pick sections of interest. Author shares his experiences. Very detailed. Great book for beginner growers (like me).
Deb
Fact-filled book on one of my very favourite topics, garlic growing. There's some great tips in here and I wish I'd read his advice about not growing too much garlic as an inexperienced grower about 9 months ago .... We live and learn. I've read a few books about garlic this year and it's amazing how this little bulb can generate such passion. It's wonderful stuff.

The only downside of the book is the need to do a lot of on the go conversion - for the months/seasons (October... that's like April
Melanie
As a professional vegetable farmer who grows garlic, I have found this book to be incredibly helpful. I'm not sure how helpful it would be (or enticing, as it is an entire volume dedicated only to the subject of growing garlic) to the home gardener. For a book dedicated to the subject of one vegetable crop, it is a remarkably non-tedious read.

I don't do everything just as he suggests, but I sure do a lot of it. I use it as a reference before planting, harvesting and curing. I am pretty sure alm
captain america
you wanna grow garlic? throw out any other garlic book you have and read this cover to cover. repeat.
Linda
Applied mainly for those that grow garlic in the northern US.
Jerry Jennings

I love this book and I have learned how to grow excellent garlic in the back yard!
HeavyReader
Well, I never actually finished reading this book, but I faced the fact that I was probably never going to finish reading this book, so I decided to take it off my currently reading list. I will probably just give it to Tony...

Anyway, I read enough to know that it is a kick ass book if you are interested in growing garlic, especially if you want to grow enough to sell.

Annie Kate
If you want to grow garlic, you need this book.

On my blog, I detailed how we used this book to make all the major decisions about planting garlic: http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.co...
Christy
I have only read the parts before harvesting, I will have to add more next summer for an accurate review... I am excited to try the new (to me)varities I ordered and will plant!
Carolee
I am looking for another book to read book on garlic. The history was interesting but does not look like it would be easy to use as a reference.
I am liking this a lot. It's already on my 'to buy' list.

I didn't read this cover to cover but it's just right for me.
Catherine
Note to self - check this out in the summer for harvesting tips
Hilary Kukla
The best source for growing garlic! Even if you grow small scale
Peter
Great book for learning about growing garlic plus much more.
Jennifer Smith
Jennifer Smith is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Max &
Max & marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
LouAnn Valentour
LouAnn Valentour marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Laura Holson
Laura Holson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015