Start by marking “The Shepherd” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd
read book* *Different edition

The Shepherd (Shepherd #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  954 ratings  ·  162 reviews
TO STOP A MONSTER…

Marcus Williams and Francis Ackerman Jr. both have a talent for hurting people. Marcus, a former New York City homicide detective, uses his abilities to protect others while Ackerman uses his gifts to inflict pain and suffering.

HE MUST EMBRACE THE MONSTER WITHIN HIMSELF

When both men become unwilling pawns in a conspiracy that reaches to the highest levels
Published March 8th 2011 by Fiction Std, E Book (first published January 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shepherd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shepherd

Katherine
•4,5/5* Ackerman is amazing! :D

A leželi spolu v hrobě, až dokud se jejich kosti neproměnily v prach.
Dělám si srandu! :DDD
Ta kaše, co z nich zbyla, skončila v odpadovce.

•Tak si pojďme hrát :P.. A v celém tomhle morbidně a vtipně napsaném příběhu se na konci čeká něco, co je absolutně nečekané! :oD
•Nechť vás smích provází po celou dobu.
•Miluji jeho kreativitu a sebevědomí, konečně další skvělý sériový vrah.

Varování: Nedoporučuju těm, co se bojí krve. Je všude :oD

Celá recenze..
Michael
Marcus ist ein Ex-Cop, der sich über das Gesetzt gestellt und einen Vergewaltiger erschossen hat, der aufgrund seines Einflusses andernfalls nicht bestraft worden wäre. Ackerman Jr. ist ein durchgeknallter Serienkiller, der von seinem skrupellosen Vater zum Töten konditioniert wurde. ICH BIN DIE NACHT ist im Kern die Geschichte davon, wie Marcus und Ackerman Jr. den Kampf gegeneinander als ihre Bestimmung erkennen.
Begriffe wie Schicksal oder Bestimmung verleihen ICH BIN DIE NACHT immer wieder ei
Jan
I thought this book stunk. It was just too far fetched, not even sure why I read the whole thing.
L.A.
Article first published as Book Review: The Shepherd by Ethan Cross on Blogcritics.

Can evil flourish without goodness? Is it possible to be a murderer and yet not be evil? Often what lurks inside the mind makes the difference. In The Shepherd by Ethan Cross, we meet evil head on in his serial killer, Francis Ackerman. Cold and cunning, ruthless and bold, he shows no fear as he stalks his victims. Even the police are not immune to his cunning, when one of their finest is cut down along with his f
Cheryl
Francis Ackerman Jr. is a mad man. He has been terrorizing people across many states and the only trace that Francis was ever there was the wake of bloody bodies that he leaves.

Marcus Williams has just moved into a new town. Marcus could not expect that his first job would come so quickly. It seems that Francis has made his way into the same town as Marcus. Now these two men must face each other. There can only be one winner. Who will be the Shepherd?

A book that receives high praises from autho
Ginny Palmieri
Not my usual genre - so far this crime-thriller is a quick read, though heavy on the gruesome. Poorly edited - something has been "contributed" to something, instead of "attributed,"; something is "alright," instead of "all right." "All right, already" was apparently a rote lesson left out of many people's elementary educations, but having it slip past an editor makes me feel that I, in turn, have slipped out of my usual, literary category of reading. This was a Kindle freebie. So far, I'm think ...more
Andreas Urban
Bis kurz vor Schluss fragt man sich was der Autor eigentlich erzählen möchte - nach den Schluss ärgert man sich dann nur noch das Buch überhaupt angefangen zu haben...
Lu
Even though this book features some surprising plot twists it was way too predictable for my taste. and although those twists came surprising they didn't surprise me too much in the end. The book ended exactly the why i thought it would end.

it was well written and fast paced which is friggen expect from a thriller. But again, the story itself didn't surprise me that much in the end.

What i liked:
- the brutality. (that's what i read thrillers for, shut up)
- the 'villain', Ackerman, was great.
George Spirakis
Μέσα στο πλαίσιο «έξαρσης» αστυνομικών μυθιστορημάτων, ο Ποιμένας απλά κάνει τη διαφορά, αφού ξεφεύγει από τις τυποποιημένες ιστορίες και γίνεται ακόμα πιο «σκληρός». Απάνθρωπα εγκλήματα, ωμή βία, υπομονετική σιωπή και πάνω απ’ όλα σκληρές αντιδράσεις. Κάπως έτσι βέβαια είναι και τα αυθόρμητα ένστικτα του ανθρώπου, όταν καλείται να οικειοποιηθεί τον πόνο και να βιώσει τον άμεσο κίνδυνο ή και το παγερό αποτέλεσμα ενός άσχημου γεγονότος. Άνθρωποι χάνονται, οι ήρωες εναλλάσσονται και ένας μανιακός ...more
Mishel Zabala
My Rating: 5/5 stars!

I absolutely love, love, love reading a book that exceeds my expectations! I was fairly sure I’d enjoy reading The Shepherd but I wasn’t quite ready for all the surprises Ethan Cross had in store for me. And by surprise I don’t necessarily mean plot twists, although there were plenty to go around. The Shepherd was an exceptional read and I am so looking forward to reading whatever Cross comes out with next. I wouldn’t really call the ending a cliffhanger but I definitely wan
LORI CASWELL
Marcus Williams is a retired New York City Homicide Detective that has left New York to move to a farmhouse in Texas that was willed to him by his aunt. He made a choice to save others and due to that choice it was definitely time for a change. Small town life has a great appeal.

At the same time Francis Ackerman, Jr. makes a different choice. He chooses to inflict pain and suffering to as many people as possible and happens to arrive in Texas at exactly the same time as Marcus.

They both become v
Forgetfulone
If I were the type of person who could abandon a book, I would have abandoned The Shepherd within ten pages due to the author’s blatant error in using the present perfect verb tense. More about that later. I just don’t abandon books. I have to finish what I start, and unfortunately, I finished this one. Apparently, the author didn’t, though. Thank goodness I got this via a 99 cent special from BookBub.

Ethan Cross is the author’s pen name. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that he chose the name
Victor Redman
The German edition of this book -- titled 'Ich bin die Nacht', i.e. 'I Am The Night', strangely enough -- was released to some fanfare over here. Unfortunately, the marketing and packaging turned out to be the best part of the story for me.

'The Shepherd' is essentially a penny dreadful masquerading as a modern thriller. Advertised as a serial killer story, the book initially reads like a bargain bin version of 'No Country For Old Men' before going completely off the rails with a ludicrous conspi
Barış Erdem
Büyük bir hevesle aldım ama vasat bile diyemeceğim kadar kötü bir kitap çıktı ne yazık ki.Karakterler ve olaylar o kadar inandırıcılıktan uzak ve kitap o kadar acemice yazılmış ki 200 sayfa zor dayandım. Boşa vakit kaybetmeyin derim.
Lesli
I live to read and I get really excited when I come across a new author who can capture and hold my attention through the whole book. The Shepherd is a fast-paced book with lots of twists and turns; each time I thought I had figured something out it changed. I also love when an author can tell a very good story and not use profanity (I believe I counted 3 or 4).

As I read the story, I found myself pondering about some of the moral dilemmas the protagonist faced, I wondered what decisions I might
Laura Pilcher
Really liked this book. It's not what I would call "fast paced" but that is a blessing when trying to keep track of everything and keep track of who is good and who is bad lol. Very good baddie who plays torturous games with his victims. Throw in a hero and some corrupt police officers and fbi agents and you get a good book. Only took me an age to read because I have this book in paperback form and I tend to read more on my kindle. I think if I had this on the kindle it would have been read in a ...more
Kristy
AMAZING BOOK!!! :P Everyone who has ever had any doubts about the rightness of vigilante justice, NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK!! There is a VAST difference between taking a life because you NEED to, in order to save other lives, and what most people judge vigilante actions as being which is pointless murder. READ this book; I don't think anyone on either end of the spectrum will ever view things the same again. And even other than that element, this is a phenomenal story-line, great action, nonstop s ...more
Jemsparkle bibliophile
Cora Lein
Inhalt:
Francis Ackermann Junior, ein Serienmörder, erschaffen von seinem eigenen Vater, treibt sein Unwesen…

Schreibstil:
Der Schreibstil ist einfach, lässt sich daher gut lesen und bleibt trotz einiger Fehler spannend. Der Ausdruck ist für einen Thriller passend, blutig, brutal.

Charaktere:
Francis, der mir das gesamte Buch nicht wirklich psychopathisch erschien, ist ein eigenartiger Typ. Er wurde von seinem Vater als “Serienmörder” ausgebildet. Durch perverse Versuche wurde Francis zum töten animi
Steve Isenhower
Wow!! Very, very exciting book. Multiple plot twists and two of the best characters ever in Marcus Williams and Francis Ackerman. I was engrossed all the way through and some of the twists took me completely by surprise, but they were very good twists. A very good ending that kept the door open for more books in this series. I think additional Shepard books are required!! Ethan Cross is great at the thriller, action, mystery aspect and also adds some great character introspection. Great book!
Peter
Marcus ist der Gute. Francis der Böse. Nebenher gibt es noch jede Menge andere Böse die dann aber wieder gut sind. Und das Mädchen gehört wiederum zu den Guten. Und der Präsident kommt auch noch mit ins Spiel.

Was sich hier alles sehr kompliziert anhört kann leider den Erwartungen in keinster Weise standhalten. Man kommt sich so vor, als ob Ethan Cross alle Skriptideen, die er die letzten 10 Jahre hatte und die keine eigenständige Geschichte ergeben haben, in einen Topf schmiss und daraus "Ich bi
Anne
Worum geht es:
Francis Ackerman junior ist das, was man sich unter einem wirklich kranken Serienmörder vorstellt: Er mordet wahllos, unabhängig von Alter, Geschlecht, Ethnie und Hintergrund. Und er tötet immer auf grausamste Art und Weise. Seine Methode ist, ein Spiel mit seinen Opfern zu spielen indem er sie vor unmenschliche Aufgaben stellt und ihnen so die Möglichkeit gibt, ihr eigenes Leben oder das anderer Opfer zu retten. Verlieren die Opfer das Spiel, steht ihnen ein qualvoller Tod bevor.
Sebastian Hallmann
Ich muss gestehen, dass mich bei diesem Buch als allererstes das Layout angezogen hat. Tiefschwarzes Cover und dazu passend auch noch ein schwarzer Buchschnitt, in dem Autor und Titel noch einmal verewigt wurden – das springt ins Auge. Ja, auch meinereiner ist nicht ganz unempfänglich für optische Qualitäten. Der Klappentext war dazu auch noch recht vielversprechend und somit musste dem Buch einfach eine Chance gegeben werden.

Leider ist es nun aber so, dass gute Optik und interessanter Klappente
Jen
Was haben ein bestialischer Serienmörder, der am Ende Gewissensbisse bekommt, ein ehemaliger Möchte-gern- James -Bond Cop und eine dubiose amerikanische Selbstjustiz Gruppierung gemeinsam? Richtig, sie alle hat Ethan Cross in "Ich bin die Nacht" zusammengeworfen und daraus einen verwirrenden Psychothriller Mix geschaffen.

Wer den Klappentext liest der freut sich auf einen psychopathischen Serienmörder, den scheinbar nichts und niemand stoppen kann. Um Francis Ackermann geht es aber nur die ersten
Chrissieskleinewelt
3,5 Sterne
Rezi: http://chrissies-kleine-welt.de/?p=1327

Francis Ackerman jr. ist schlau, hat die Kraft eines Bären und die flinke Wendigkeit eines Wiesels und er ist der schlimmste Albtraum, der einem Menschen passieren kann. Francis Ackerman jr. ist ein Serienmörder und er liebt es zu spielen. Und er spielt nur, wenn er sich sicher ist dieses Spiel auch zu gewinnen.
Marcus Williams will ein neues Leben anfangen und bezieht die Farm seiner verstorbenen Tante nahe eines kleinen Nestes. Er ahnt nic
Jennifer Bertram
This book is sold as a thriller and it certainly is at that. Its not too often that a book catches your interest at the start and hangs on thru the entire book. The last page was as suspenful as the first page. Highly recomend this. Its not one you can start and then put down. I had to read it in one long setting.
Page-turner
Früher als mich das Lesen so richtig gepackt hatte, habe ich fast ausschließlich Thriller oder Krimis gelesen, die nun teilweise in meinen Regalen staubig werden. Doch als ich dann im Mediamarkt dieses kleine Taschenbuch gesehen habe, hat mich irgendwie wieder die Lust gepackt. Zum einen lag das an dem Cover und den Seiten des Buches, aber natürlich auch an dem Klapptext. Dieser erinnert mich ziemlich an Saw, da dort auch mit den Opfern gespielt wird, bevor sie sterben. Leider erst gegen Anfang ...more
Kerstin
Kurzbeschreibung:
Mein Name ist Francis Ackerman junior. Ich bin das, was man gemeinhin einen Serienkiller nennt. Doch ich töte nicht wahllos, und jedes meiner Opfer bekommt eine faire Chance, denn ich fordere es zu einem Spiel heraus. Wer gewinnt, überlebt. Ich habe noch nie verloren. Die meisten Menschen werden mich verabscheuen. Einige, die mir ähnlich sind, werden mich verehren. Aber alle, alle werden sich an mich erinnern. Mein Name ist Francis Ackerman junior. Ich bin die Nacht, und ich mö
Michelle Vasquez
Awesome thriller!! Please read my full review here:

Debbie Heaton
In Cross’ mystery novel, ex-cop Marcus Williams is familiar with the pain of a broken career and the feeling of overwhelming guilt. But with notorious serial killer Francis Ackerman makes Marcus’s Colorado town his own personal playground, Marcus puts his feelings aside and teams with the local sheriff to put an end to the crime spree. But soon Marcus finds himself on the other side of the sheriff and the lines between good and bad become blurred. Tapping into his darkest instincts, Marcus moves ...more
leCtuRanDos: Κριτικές βιβλίου [Ο Ποιμένας] 1 8 Feb 26, 2014 03:14PM
  • A World I Never Made
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • County Line
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Protector
  • Eye of the God
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Spoilt
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Dark Legacy
  • The Dead Saint

Shepherd (3 books)
  • The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller
  • Darkest Fear: (Shepherd 3)
The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller The Cage Father of Fear: A Shepherd Thriller Blind Justice Darkest Fear: (Shepherd 3)