Start by marking “Starcraft: I, Mengsk (Starcraft)” as Want to Read:
Starcraft: I, Mengsk (Starcraft)

Starcraft: I, Mengsk (Starcraft)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sixty-thousand light-years from Earth, the corrupt Terran Confederacy holds the Koprulu sector tightly in its tyrannical grip, controlling every aspect of its citizens' lives. One man dares to stand up to this faceless empire and vows to bring it to its knees: Arcturus Mengsk -- genius propagandist, tactician, and freedom fighter.

A monstrous act of bloody violence sows t
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Starcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starcraft

Joseph
Arcturus Mengsk is a 2nd-tier villain in the world of Starcraft; a popular series of video-games. Mengsk is an aristocratic, treacherous politician with a gentile southern accent and the tactics of a tyrant. He is not an especially popular character with fans of the game, but in the name of expanding Starcraft's considerable archive of lore, Mengsk the great dictator has received a novel of some girth outlining his rise-to-power.

And while this novel wasn't asked for, it is competently written sc
Guilherme Müller
This book is simply too long. I think it could have been half of its length to be tolerable.

As much as I like the Starcraft Universe, I couldn't like this book. Yes, I tried. I tried to read it all, to be interested in what was written, but no chance. This book drags all the way to the end, with too much descriptions, uninteresting action and long dialogues.

The core of the story is good, because this is Starcraft after all, but too much time is spent getting from one point of the story to anothe
Frank Caron
A surprisingly-compelling and deep portrayal of the old adage "like father, like son", McNeil's chronicle of the grand enemy of Blizzard's universe is a page-turner. The book deftly zips through generations and decades in telling the tale of three great rulers of a single lineage, helping to fill in some of the details around one of the series' most well-conceived characters. I quite enjoyed it.
Eroldren
Full review can be read over at The Founding Fields: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/12/...

Eroldren reviews I, Mengsk by Graham McNeill, set within the universe of Blizzard Entertainment’s bestselling computer RTS series, StarCraft.

“A delightful SF masterpiece laden with memorable characters and vivid storytelling that’s bound to leave anyone satisfied whose mildly interested should they pick it up.” – The Founding Fields

For StarCraft newcomers beware there’s a spoiling topic elaborated upon
Dennis
May 22, 2015 Dennis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gamers interested in story of Starcraft
Recommended to Dennis by: Family
Shelves: sci-fi, german
Das Buch war, soweit ich es noch weiß, ganz in Ordnung und über viele Strecken interessant und spannend. Man erfährt mehr über die Hintergründe von Mengsk und die Beziehung zu seinem Sohn. Dabei wird man an interessante Orte geführt und man erfährt warum Mengsk so ist wie er ist und Arcturus ebend nicht ist wie Mengsk.
Jason Law
In view of the bad reviews here, this book actually took me by surprise. It has some of the deepest character developments of all among the Starcraft books I have read. The focus on characters might cause some people to find this book slow-moving though. I didn't find Arcturus whiny; just fiercely independent, ruthless, proud and a bit immature. The writing's not very sophisticated - a common weakness in media tie-ins- but I appreciated the writer's effort to produce 'real’ characters. I would s ...more
Matthew Edrich
just basically a rise to power story. needed more action parts and less daddy issues
Adowt
Who, that is a teenage boy today hasn't heard of starcraft, anyone? didn't think so, i myself love the game with a passion and when i got the starcraft archive (also including 3 other starcraft stories, shadow of the xel,naga, speed of darkness, and one other i cant place.) i couldn't stop reading the dang thing i mean it already had good story but this supplies an even longer part in starcrafts great storyline.
Jeremy
The book was fairly well written but he isnt one of my favourite characters in the story so it was a little tedious trying to get through this book but was still keen to find out how he got there. Im also more keen to see how they develop his son's character Valerian from here and through the upcoming sequels to the game.
Kevin
A very well written novel depicting the rise of the future Emperor of the Terran Dominion. From this perspective, it is possible to gleam just a small aspect of this man's plight with conflict and how it hardens his originally pristine soul. Multiple similarities with Darth Vader's rise to power.
Debbie
Aug 05, 2012 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scifi lovers
Recommended to Debbie by: Jake
Jake recoMmended this Starcraft book. Articus spends his childhood rebelling against his Dad and then does not realize he is treating his son the same way. Story would have been better with more self awareness on Articus' part.
Richard Davis
Proberbly the best of the StarCraft novels. My only complaint is that while Mcneil creates a brilliant story, the dialogue for Acturus rarely feels like the character we know. The southern accent doest seem to come through.
Ivan Leong
The story of Acturus Mengsk upbringing has really brought much light and development of his character. This is a must read for all Starcraft fans. Highly recommended
Jingjing Chen
The best of the Starcraft books. Rettconed in sc2 by having mengsk become useless.
Vigi
Vigi is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
Sorok Titánobijec
Sorok Titánobijec marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Katarzyna
Katarzyna marked it as to-read
Thibault Lemaitre
Thibault Lemaitre marked it as to-read
Radu
Radu marked it as to-read
Mark Frederick
Mark Frederick marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Storm21
Storm21 marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jeremy Scher
Jeremy Scher marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
John Martin
John Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • Twilight (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #3)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Starcraft: Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost Series #2)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • StarCraft: Frontline, Volume 1 (Starcaft)
  • The Veiled Prophet (Diablo: The Sin War, #3)
  • A Choice of Futures (Rise Of the Federation, #1) (Star Trek: Enterprise, #15)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
Hailing from Scotland, Graham McNeill narrowly escaped a career in surveying to work for Games Workshop as a games designer. He has a strong following with his novels Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Dead Sky, Black Sun and Storm of Iron.
More about Graham McNeill...
False Gods Fulgrim A Thousand Sons Mechanicum The Ultramarines Omnibus