Start by marking “Echo Kill (Frank Quinn, 5)” as Want to Read:
Echo Kill (Frank Quinn, 5)

Echo Kill (Frank Quinn #5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  69 reviews
He mutilates his victims. Slices their throats. And carves an X into their flesh. Five years ago, he claimed the lives of six women. Then the killings abruptly stopped - no one knows why. Ex-homicide detective Frank Quinn remembers. Which is why he's shocked to see one of the dead women in his office. Actually, she's the identical twin of the last victim, and she wants Qui ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published September 28th 2010 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Echo Kill, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Eric_W
Quinn has more or less retired from the police department and is now running his own detective agency. He is approached by Chrissie who claims to have won a considerable sum of money and wants to hire his agency to find the killer, know as the “Carver,” of her twin sister, Tiffany. Quinn is then hired by the police department as consultants on the case which has been reopened after the discovery of another murdered women whose M.O. resembles that of the Carver. (I won’t describe exactly what the ...more
Lori
Frank Quinn and his partners are back in the newly formed Quinn & Associates Investigations. Pearl Kasner was done working as a security guard at a bank and Larry Fedderman (Feds) wasn’t all that interested in catching fish in Florida anymore. So the three of them have settled back into the life they know and love – detecting. Chrissie Keller, having come into a large sum of money, comes to see Frank to hire him. Five years ago her twin sister Tiffany, along with four other young ladies, was ...more
Ed
Sep 21, 2011 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old fan of the author's books
Recommended to Ed by: police procedural fans esp. of NYC setting
John Lutz writes about serial killers, but he uses fresh approaches and twisty plots that often surprise me. His prose style is a well-blended and seamless one. Somehow he captures the right mannerism or description that befits the scene or character. I also usually shy away from NYC settings, but he paints his with different strokes. The romantic and professional interplay between Pearl and Frank Quinn, the protagonist, is a strength of the narrative. Great stuff.
Debbie
i have read 2 in this series - not that impressed. The main character, Frank Quinn, a former cop/detective and his team of former cops -now private investigators. Quinn is supposed to be a super cop but in the two I read he is in the background and just there - I didn't get his importance and the rest of his team..especially the woman - boring and trite.
NancyG
If you like dark, scary thrillers with retired homicide cops chasing psychotic, sadistic killers, this is right up your alley. I know it was right up my alley. I've somehow missed a couple of Lutz's books so I'm off to the library to get my hands on the ones I've missed. These books are not for everyone but if you like the genre, Lutz is tops.
Yas

3/5 for me.

Pros:

- Love the pace, the juggling between the crime-related chapters and the personal lives of Frank Quinn associates. It was smooth and just about the right amount of time spent.

- The characters aren't half-bad.

- I was content with the ending. at first, I wasn't but then when I thought about it harder i was more or less satisfied with it.

- Lots of welcome mis-directions in the story.

Cons:

- Frank quin and co didn't participate into actually solving the case.
they were simply used to
Larry
I usually enjoy John Lutz's books, but this one was ... tedious, somehow. I couldn't care about the characters, felt no suspense. It just missed the mark for me.
laura m
Sep 10, 2014 laura m rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: john lutz fans
I am totally unsure whether to rate as 3 or 4 as I didn't totally grasp the ending. I have been trying to find other's opinions on it but there aren't any spoilers to be found.
otherwise, until last 5-10 pages it was a great read. I again have a feeling it ended too soon and so many information and facts squeezed in those last pages, I wasn't sure if I was even reading correctly.
I will have to re-read these last pages but I am unsure whether it will help, I hope I'll stumble upon a discussion reg
Bill Shuey

This is another in the series of Quinn books that has him attempting to catch a serial killer. The usual characters make their appearance in this book: Pearl, Fedderman and a new female criminal psychologist.

This book has several look-backs and the normal number of expected twists to the plot. Without giving to much away, this story has an not so necessarily unexpected ending, (depending on much the reader pays attention to the details) but a unique ending which leaves the possibility of a squea
Carolyn
I get the feeling Lutz has some issues with women.
Mcrib
I enjoyed reading the book - lots of characters but they are portrayed well, interact in interesting ways, and the pace isn't dull. There is a lot of mystery in how this is all going to tie together. •Spoiler*. One thing I didn't like while reading the book was that the main characters in charge of the case weren't particularly doing anything brilliant or heroic to advance the case - they were just reacting to events around them. Somehow they get caught up in the middle of things but the antagon ...more
Jill Manske
I forgot how much I like John Lutz and his writing. Mr. X is a complex tale of gruesome serial murders, child abuse/sexual abuse, and very dysfunctional families. You're never quite sure where Lutz is going to take you next and how Quinn is going to put all the clues together. The book is full of political intrigue and how it interfaces with and sometimes interferes with police work and solving crimes. The ending was a real shocker. If you like fast-paced thrillers, you'll like this book.
Wynn
All thriller fans...A must read!, November 4, 2010

This is the 5th and the best thriller featuring ex NYPD police captain Frank Quinn, his now former lover Pearl and his former police partner, Larry Fedderman. Once again all three are on a task force to find a serial killer known as "the carver". This book is so well written I could not stop listening. (Another excellent narration from Scott Brick) Lutz fills the book with twists, turns and dramatic suspense on every page without any confusion.
Sae-chan
I enjoyed reading the book, and I think it was presented quite interestingly. One thing didn't sit well with me, though. The writer didn't offer any psychological analysis, when the story was clearly something to do with it. If a writer decided to write a murder story like this, I think it is not supposed to be a whodunit kind of story. Too bad.

Clare
I picked this book up by chance in my library. It was a really good story but the characters did start to grate on but I managed to carry on reading as the story was worth it. I have managed to get hold of the 2nd book in the story.
Jeanne
Don't know what to say

So the characters were ok. The plot too twisty yet the unexpected ending brought it up in stars. I don't like a story with so many false leads but you'll never figure out the end
Adrian Sapp
Really, really liked this book and writing style up until the end. Not sure why any writer would end a book like that, was extremely disappointing. Not sure I would recommend this to anyone.
Sally
After an absence of five years, the mysterious serial killer known as the Carver has resurfaced. PI Frank Quinn is hired by the twin sister of the last Carver victim to bring her sister's killer to justice and Quinn is eager to nab this killer that mutilates his victims, carving an x on their body and cutting their throats.

Quinn is also nursing wounds from he and his co-worker, Pearl's breakup, and those wounds deepen when Pearl becomes involved with another man who seems to have a bit of a rep
Kathryn Hempstalk
Rarely does an author surprise me with a twist, but this book definitely did that at the end. I was left wanting more, and I don't think there's a follow up...

Katy
John Lutz does not write cozies. He writes rather too well of psychopathic serial killers.

What puts his books above mere sensation his his strong, smart regular characters. I have read the books totally out of order and still have become involved in the relationships and foibles of the main characters; Quinn, Pearl, Feds and the other regulars.

This book is more convoluted than most of his and a bit less satisfying for that. I does keep you guessing to the end with it's twists and turns.

Those w
Lisa Haines
While I love the Frank Quinn novels, and enjoyed this book, I was disappointed with the ending. I hope it wraps up in the next book.
Cindy
Interesting plot, twists, developed characters - unsatisfying end. Like some of Lutz' books better. Well read by Scott Brick (his usual).
Cindy
Definitely not as good as the rest of the series. Actually kind of boring. Decent ending though.
Lozza
good read. if I'm honest I didn't get into it much as I was reading another book on my kindle so with probably re-read to review properly
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Sheri S.
This mystery/thriller was good, but wasn't a fantastic read for me. I liked the characters and the premise of the story, but I felt the plot was strung out too long; it could've been shorter in length! Some of the book was predictable, some of it was a surprise and I really didn't care for the twist in the end! Overall, not a terrible book, but I actually enjoyed it the most because of the fact that it was my first e-book (I am completely in love with my new Sony e-reader!!)!
Kay
Frank Quinn and his team reappear in this latest thriller from Lutz. Since he has another Quinn book coming out this year, I have to assume he's decided to stick with one character than those assorted retired policemen that all had the same characteristics but different names in his earlier books. His plots were always good but I did tire of the similar main character.

This book has lots of action and some twists and turns that keeps you guessing along the way.
Brian McCusker
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. not too much gore and quite a twist to this tale. Lots of background builds to an interesting conclusion.
serial killer, kills a number of women, goes into hiding, then 5 years later starts again. Ex-cop and his team of Private detectives investigate and assist police and find the suspect, or do they?

Not brilliant, but better than others
Bill
John Lutz continues his brilliant Frank Quinn series with a thriller that has the reader guessing why the Carver, after five years of inactivity, has started killing again and whether Quinn's partner, Pearl, will become his latest victim. I had a difficult time finding a place to stop as the action just keeps flowing from chapter to chapter. Mister X is a satisfying read.
unsure what exactly happened at the end? 1 4 Sep 10, 2014 09:52AM
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Bone Thief
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • The Good Rat
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • Tough Luck
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • The Whispers (The Whispers, #1)
  • The Last Victim
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • Crazy
  • Beyond the Breakwater (Provincetown Tales, #2)
  • The Burning Edge
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Frank Quinn (10 books)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Serial (Frank Quinn, #6)
  • Pulse (Frank Quinn, #7)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • Frenzy (Frank Quinn, #9)
  • Slaughter (Frank Quinn, #10)
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)