Start by marking “Budayeen Nights” as Want to Read:
Budayeen Nights

Budayeen Nights (Marîd Audran Short stories)

Once again, Daniel "Chaingang" Bunkowski is on the loose. After a seemingly endless term in prison, he is hungrier then ever to get his teeth into some bloody violence. The opportunities for mayhem were pretty limited in the maximum-security prison where he was being held for so long. Now that he's out, his keeper, Dr. Norman, is anxious to put him to work. He has given Ch ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Budayeen Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Budayeen Nights

This book is the final piece in the Marîd Audran/Budayeen series. A collection of stories, both published and unpublished, included fragments of books that were never finished. Effingers' last wife, Barbara Hambly, wrote the forward as well as an introduction to each of the stories.

Schrödingers Kitten
The first story is completely unlike the Budayeen novels. Indeed the Budayeen is barely mentioned and a lot of it takes place in pre-world war 2 Germany. As such it is also in a completely different
Pedro García
Sep 28, 2015 Pedro García rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gran colección de relatos relacionados con la trilogía cyberpunk del mismo autor, que comienza en "Cuando falla la gravedad". Muy interesantes las introducciones de la esposa de Effinger, Barbara Hambly.

Schrödinger's Kitten: como su nombre insinúa, un relato "cuántico" donde aparecen de forma secundaría imágenes del Budayeen de las novelas

Marîd changes his mind: los que debieron ser los primeros capítulos de "Un fuego en el sol". De hecho, si no recuerdo mal, la edición de Gigamesh los incluía c
A must-read for Effinger and/or Marîd fans. I found it satisfying but also utterly sad. The timing of reading this at the same time that Whitney Houston died and then watching her funeral underscored the tragedy of what addiction can do to someone. Barbara Hambly, Effinger's third wife (they were divorced several years before his death), wrote the forward to the book and an introduction to each story, and it added a great deal to the book. She clearly still loved and admired him. She said he suf ...more
Oct 07, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Some of the terminology in it could have been better, but it was refreshing reading stories based in an African continental city (never quite stated where), where the majority of the characters were Muslim. Definitely science/future fiction, with the stories set at least 200 years from now.

The book is a collection of short stories, often about the same characters, but not always, and always interesting. Each story features an introduction from Barbara Hambly, who knew Geor
Dec 21, 2014 bkwurm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a mess.

Set in an Arab-Bedouin city along the southern coast of the Mediterranean, the first few storiues do feature small technological advances amidst a general decline suggesting the near future where some unspecified catastrophe has ovetaken mankind. No reference is ever made to Western civilisation or Europe either. The latter stories however seem set in pre-war times and nothing in them would suggest the future. Instead, anachronistic references littered throughout the sto
Dorian D-W
What I liked most about Budayeen Nights was the setting: cyberpunk in the Middle East.

To me the Budayeen really felt like a foreign city, and I enjoyed exploring a new place. The short stories in this book are great little tastes, and the characters in them are lots of fun.

As much as I enjoyed parts of it though, I didn't particularly fall for the book or the city. The stories were meant to be about the underbelly of a particularly seedy area, but it felt like the city had been polished up and
Probably essential reading for anyone who loved the Marid Audran books (When Gravity Fails, A Fire In The Sun and The Exile's Kiss) but not a collection that will ensnare new readers the Effinger's cyberpunk/Islam mashup. Sadly the best work is Marid Throws a Party which, as explained by editor Barbara Hambly, is the first two chapters of the planned fourth book in the series. Unfortunately Effinger passed away before finishing the book, leaving us with just a taste of what could have been. Also ...more
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version.

La malinconia dell’addio

È davvero triste leggere il libro postumo di un grande autore, tanto più se, come in questo caso, si tratta di una raccolta di lavori per lo più incompiuti, e che mai verranno terminati.
“Budayeen nights” solo in parte ci riporta alle atmosfere della magnifica trilogia del Budayeen, il quartiere malfamato di una non precisata città del mondo arabo del futuro. La raccolta contiene lavori spesso molto diversi tra di loro che hanno in comun
Kimmo Makinen
While there's no doubt Effinger was an interesting and even successful science fiction author (one of the short stories in this collection did actually win both the Nebula and Hugo awards), this collection as such is an uneven one. Concise, clear and with purpose in parts (namely the stories "Schrödinger's Kitten" and "Marîd and the Trail of Blood"), but hopelessly overblown and aimless in others ("The World as We Know It" and the autobiographical philosophical introspect piece "The City on the ...more
Apr 29, 2013 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had put off returning to the Budayeen for years, feeling that George Alec Effinger's trilogy should stand on its own. However, after re-reading the original series recently, I felt that it was time.

Maurid, the original trilogy's protagonist, figures prominently in many of the stories, and Barbra Hambley's introductions add context to what in many cases were snippets of stories or introductions from larger pieces that went unfinished at the time of Effinger's death. Most stories stood well on t
Ricardo Signes
I'm glad I picked it up, but it's pretty light stuff. Quite a lot of it is a reprint of material from When Gravity Fails. There are a few short stories set in the same world, and some previously unpublished bits that were interesting but frustrating because of their incompleteness. It's sad to know that they'll never be finished, either.
Lord Humungus
The best material in this collection are the excerpts Effinger was going to use to in future Budayeen books. Overall it was pretty much in the same vein as the Fire In The Sun series. I've read a good deal of Effinger at this point and I have to say the Budayeen stuff was his best material.

Included in this collection is a progenitor story for the Budayeen saga ("City In The Sand"), containing some of the same characters and elements. Written in 1973, the writing isn't bad but the story is so inc
Jul 16, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a number of semi-related cyberpunk stories set in a not-so-nice section of a city in Northern Africa. George Alec Effinger marries Islam society with a future of plug-in personalities. Many of the stories express confusion and despair on the part of the protagonists. The mixture of Islam and cyberpunk made the book interesting to me.
Dec 12, 2011 HBalikov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caution! Those who gave it 2 stars are right. This is like the cherry on the top of an ice cream sundae - much more enjoyable than when its sitting by itself on a plate.

Effinger has the credentials to be considered ahead of William Gibson as the father of cyber punk fiction. When Gravity fails introduces us to his world and to the Budayeen which becomes embellished as we move along his trail of Marîd Audran novels.

Reading this long after I completed his other works, made me appreciate Hambly's c
Aaron Coleman
May 20, 2015 Aaron Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually really enjoyed this, and I'm not entirely sure why. One of the short stories, though, has one of the more annoying/self-absorbed protagonists in recent memory. Kinda Holden Caulfield-esque.
Israel Laureano
Mar 25, 2014 Israel Laureano rated it really liked it
Este ebook no ha sido traducido al español. Son cuentos relacionado al mundo del Budayén, la matoría ya publicados en algún lugar, otros inéditos, publicados en forma póstuma a la muerte de Effinger.
A good introduction to Marîd Audran series, which I now want to read, but not very interesting in itself.
Mishka Ferguson
I really liked the Marid Audran trilogy and had been looking forward to reading this book for some time, but I'm not terribly surprised that I wasn't that enthusiastic about it once I finished.

Much of the book is snippets of works which were never finished. I think that they would have had great promise once complete, but in general i found the stories to be rambling and a bit overblown. The extra editing that would have gone into a finished product was really needed in this case.
Roberto Czumbil
Diese Anthologie, größtenteils um Marid Audran, hat mir insgesamt gut gefallen, obwohl dies mein erster Kontakt mit der Reihe ist. Nicht jede Geschichte hat mir gleich gut gefallen, die Werke um Audran selbst haben mir allerdings allesamt zugesagt. Besonders beeindruckt hat mich, mit welcher Finesse die islamische Kultur mit Cyberpunk verknüpft wurde. In jedem Fall hat die Anthologie so weit mein Interesse geweckt, dass ich mir auch die Hauptreihe zu Gemüte führen möchte.
some of his writing is beautiful. sometimes his plots don't seem to go anywhere, it's just like an impressionist painting. Short stories about the Budayeen, a Muslim city on the edge of the desert. characters are plugged in to modules that change their personality or clean out too much alcohol from their bloodstream. Interesting. Barbara Hambly, who wrote the introduction, says the Budayeen is Effinger's impression of New Orleans.
Grahm Eberhardt
There are some good ideas about implantable personality tech and the writing is mostly good, occasionally great, throughout. But, this is a collection of stories, excerpts and unfinished snippets of things that take place in a world defined by a series of novels I've never heard of and I feel like I missed lots of necessary background to fully enjoy these stories.
Brad Wheeler
Thinking about Altered Carbon reminded me of this anthology I read a few years ago. Speaking of great sci-fi noir, Effinger's Marid Audrian series is one of the best.
Kevin Coleman
This had some great short stories, some were just so-so, but still a great book for fans of the Budayeen!
Jan 15, 2010 Chip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Cyberpunk w/ a middle-eastern bent
James rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Anne-Marie rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Grace L.
Grace L. marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
L-ssar marked it as to-read
César Viteri
César Viteri marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
  • Justice and Her Brothers
  • Wingman  (Wingman, #1)
  • Encounter with Tiber
  • Freehold
  • The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
  • The Blackcollar (Blackcollar, #1)
  • Working Stiff (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #5)
  • Redrobe
  • Crystal Express
  • The Silicon Man
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • Toast, and Other Stories