Start by marking “The Klondike” as Want to Read:
The Klondike

The Klondike

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews

The Klondike gold rush shook the Yukon on the eve of the twentieth century and stands today as the defining era in the taming of North America and especially Canada's Great North. The history of how a handful of colorful characters sparked the largest mobilization of gold seekers in history is brought vividly to life in this debut
Published May 10th 2011 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about The Klondike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Klondike

Lots of violence, bad language, people at their worst - so, pretty accurate, I'd say. Enjoyed the scope of the story, which I had never known before (Sam Steele was sent out to establish law and order? - it's about time I reviewed my High School History). The artwork would have benefited considerably from a little colour, as it was difficult to tell the characters apart.
Scott Robins
I'm not a huge history buff so I wasn't sure if I was going to really enjoy the Klondike. But I thought it was important to read since Zack is a friend of mine and I wanted to be able to talk to him about the book. While the story started out a bit slow and it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the large cast of characters, it was a satisfying read by the end of the book. I really enjoyed how the story unfolded through a series of short vignettes with an introductory text piece at the beginn ...more
Jason King
Poor use of the visual medium. A great deal of the story is told through words, especially in the intros to chapters. The artist has a very clear and unified style but it also makes people look very similar. Considering the variety of the cast of characters ai eventually said to myself, "oh, the main character has the mustache and that's how I can tell him apart from everyone else who looks identical. Okay."
I had high hopes for this book, since I'm very much in favour of historically-based and non-fiction graphic novels. It's such a neat thing for the genre to do!
I ended up fairly disappointed, mostly because of what I think is a huge disconnect in style of drawing in this book; landscapes are beautifully rendered, luscious, inky, and expressive, while humans are caricature-like. And while the slow pacing and dry story-line didn't encourage me to read on, I have some sympathy for Zach Worton and th
Sasha Boersma
Over-simplified telling of the gold rush in the Klondike, but well-told to make the happenings accessible to those not familiar with the history.
This was a fine introduction to the whole adventure that was the Klondike gold rush. Through the art of Zach Worton we learn about the people who were important to this story and the hardships brought on by a life in the north.

I picked this book up because it seemed like it would be a fun way to learn about this period of history.

I finished this book because I became intrigued by the stories and the way life was for these people who left everything behind on the slim chance they would find gold.
Ject Toons
Meh... no está pésimo, pero tampoco es una obra maestra, y aunque el estilo de dibujo y la narrativa son interesantes a momentos, pronto se torna aburrido y algunos de los fondos hacen que mis ojos se vuelvan locos. He pensado que no es un libro que valga la pena lo que pagué por él. Debo decir que me lo vendió la portada. Al menos no es una pérdida total.

I started losing interest so ended up skimming through to the end...oh well. Nice idea and good illustration but not really a subject I hold much interest in when all is said and done. No fault of the author/illustrator.
History through graphic art, sort of a beginners history of the Yukon gold rush. Somewhat comparable to Bertozzi's 'Lewis and Clark'. This one is more documentary-like with less of a flowing story line.
Remi Watts
Although somewhat deviant to truth, as Warton admits, the graphic novel tells an interesting and historically based story worth following.
Nats marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Dana added it
May 26, 2015
Aaronlisa is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Kash marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015