Start by marking “Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Andersen's Fairy Tales

Andersen's Fairy Tales

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  6,153 ratings  ·  222 reviews
The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen having delighted readers young and old for decades. Collected here are some of his most love tales. This collection includes the following tales: The Emperor's New Clothes, The Swineherd, The Real Princess, The Shoes of Fortune, The Fir Tree, The Snow Queen, The Leap-Frog, The Elderbush, The Bell, The Old House, The Happy Family, ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2005 by Digireads.com (first published January 1st 1869)

To ask other readers questions about Andersen's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Andersen's Fairy Tales

M Blankier
Andersen is probably best known today for “The Little Mermaid,” usually in the sense that children who have seen the Disney film often hear, from their friends, something to the effect of, “Did you know that she actually dies in the end.” Andersen stories, more than any other traditional fairy tales, are filled with pathos and sadness, and end badly for their protagonists.

But to dismiss Andersen’s tales as “dark” fairy tales or, as seems to often be the case, a way to totally scar children forev
Aubrey
I recently chose this book for my book cub. I love HCA fairy tales. They are so compelling and read as though you are sitting at the man's feet and he is telling them straight to you and guestering with his overly large hands. What was so great about reading them this time is this particular edition that is translated by Tiina Nunnally. It is incredible with it's bio of him in the front- a MUST read and the notes about each story in the back to conect it to a time and place in the authors life. ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Saw this on the shelf at my library yesterday when I was browsing the audiobook selection, and used my Goodreads barcode app to scan it in from when I listened to it several months ago. I mostly enjoyed this, although I didn't love all the stories and I kept falling asleep on others as I listened (a hazard associated with listening to audiobooks at bedtime). Listening to 'The Little Mermaid' brought back that sense of sadness and poignancy of reading this much-loved story as a child. There are o ...more
Helen
These stories make me cry. Grimm's fairy tales are cautionary fables. These are tiny little slices of tragic reality, dressed up in doll's clothing or hidden behind animal masks. Check out "The Steadfast Tin Soldier,""The Ugly Duckling,"and "The Little Match Girl." Devastating.
Rebecca
Fairytales are the only place I find validation.

Photobucket
Kathleen Galvin
My copy of this book was handed down to me by my Father. It is an ancient book with brown pages and a missing dust jacket. It looks like it was printed in the 40’s but I can’t be sure because the book does not contain a verso.

The first tale is that of the stork and in keeping with the theme of the book is undeniably sweet, but also twisted. There are definitely morals behind each and every tale, but not all the morals are ones I necessarily share. Possibly because of their heavily Christian unde
Koen Crolla
It's a good idea to go back and reread fairy tales as an adult, because they tend to have dimensions that go over a child's head, or different endings that were bowdlerised for the children's edition. Many of them are just good stories, and fantastic in a way that modern literature rarely is. This collection probably isn't the best choice to go back to, though.
If you're looking for fairy tales in general, Andersen is probably a worse choice than Grimm or Perrault to begin with, because so many o
Rebecca
Jun 17, 2011 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book has well-known and virtually unknown fairy tales. I thought Hans Christian Andersen just transcribed oral tradition, but many of these he wrote himself. The book also prints images of paper cut-outs that Hans Christian Andersen made. He often found himself, as a celebrity author, among people whose language he could not speak, so the paper cut-outs were a way of communicating, as well as a way of bridging the gap of his social awkwardness.
The Ice Maiden has had the biggest impact on me
AfraA523 AlMajed
This book is intresting. although its a fairy tale book and you would say these story are pretty obvious and i know most of them since i was a kid, but no they are very different from the stories we have read when younger it has much of grown ups content. Really intresting and you wont get bored of. Its just amazing how you recall a story from childhood and expect a certain ending but you see something that is totally different from what you know.
Joy
After reading this collection of classic fairy tales, I learned/realized some new things. First, it is not for children. Second, it doesn't always have a happy ending.

Most of them were entertaining, some were boring, but there are morals in the stories. Hans Christian Andersen uses symbols to represent good and evil, we can't always have what we want, but somewhere along the way we get something better that's essential for us.

My favorite Disney story is "The Little Mermaid", and after reading th
Allen
I read Hans Christian Andersen on my iPad, Macsimus Tango. That means that the book listed here isn't the exact book that I read since I read Gutenberg's version, which is a collection of only a few dozen of the fairy tales. I put this book on my virtual bookshelf because this is the book that I put on my actual bookshelf since I ordered a version of the complete fairy tales from Amazon. My opinion is that if you read an important author then you should own all of the important works and you sho ...more
Lv2readB
Anderson, H.C. (1995). Fairy tales of Hans Christian Anderson. New York: Viking.

Summary:
A compilation of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, including: The Princess and the Pea, Thumbelina, The Wild Swans, The Nightingale, The Ugly Duckling, The Snow Queen, The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep, The Shadow, It’s Perfectly True!, Grief, Father’s Always Right, and The Snowman. There is an Introduction by Neil Philip, who details some of Hans Christian Anderson’s life and comments son a few of his
Andrea
I read this mostly as a must read. Was amazed at how much of literature is based in these and other tales. Also, how through the years the stories have changed. The "Little Mermaid" for example ends quite differently from the Disney version. This version brings to mind messages paying the ultimate price for disobeying a father, for wanting to explare and go outdside of known community-- Not in the beauty and empowerment of following ones own path or the strength of true love.

Also many many fair
Eden
Aug 11, 2014 Eden rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fairy tales
5 stars

Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales have been a part of my childhood so I was surprised that I was not familiar with the tales on this book (with the exception of The Wild Swans, which is one of my favourites).

I suppose the reason for this is the tales I read as a child all had happy endings, while most of the tales on this book do not, which makes them more appropriate for adult readers.

The beauty of this book is that there are happy and sad stories, about people, animals and flowers,
Faye
Some of these are excellent (The Little Mermaid, The Emperor's New Clothes), some are entertaining (The Ugly Duckling, Shadow), some are downright heartbreaking (The Little Match Girl, Snowman), but then there are some that are tedious and boring (The Ice Maiden, Traveling Companion). All in all, I enjoyed it, but I've come to the opinion that Andersen was at his best when he was at his briefest.
Grace
I was somewhat amazed by the large number of fairy tales that Hans Christian Andersen wrote. Apparently he wrote more than 200 in all, of which over sixty are included in this volume. In this book these tales are grouped into different sections according to the type of tales that they are. For example there are some which are grouped under the title 'Original Fairy Tales' which include The Little Mermaid and Thumbelina which are two of my favorites. Others are grouped under the title 'Evangelica ...more
Melee
My grandparents have a copy of this book. Years ago, I adopted it and put it in the room I always sleep in when I go to their house.
I have such fond memories of poring over the tales of The Little Mermaid, The Little Red Shoes, and Hans Clodhopper (my favourite!).
I remember sharing my superior knowledge of how The Little Mermaid was supposed to end with anyone who happened to mention the Disney version. I infinitely preferred the sadder, original version.
I'm not sure if I would call these child
Brennan Wieland
I only read the snowman out of all of these stories as an assignment. This story tells of a newly built snowman trying to make sense of the world around him. The dog, living next to him in his kennel, tells him shortly of few things including the stove inside of the house. The snowman develops an unusual attraction to the stove, and longs to be next to the stove. The story ends with the winter passing and the people soon forgetting about the snowman. I wasn't left very satisfied at the end of th ...more
Puneri
Hans Christian Anderson is one man who always makes me child again. His stories take me to a world full of magic and fairies and princesses and princes! I have read these stories as a child. I still have the same affection for those stories. Thumbelina is my all time favorite. I had an opportunity to visit the small Danish town in CA in Winter of 2009. They have a small library devoted to Hans Anderson. It was wonderful to sit in the presence on the man whom I will always love and cherish as the ...more
Jena Hemsworth
Hans Christian Andersen is one of my all-time favorite authors (and age will never be a factor when I declare this). His stories are full of meaning, morals and depth. The philosophy behind every character is incredible, the narrative is nothing short of beautiful, the story line = fantastic and the overall life-lesson that can be learned is heart-moving.
Many people comment and say that his stories are too dark for children, but I find that to be utterly wrong and for someone to forbid it, is p
Sheetal Dash
I have always been a fan of the original versions of fairy tales, so I picked this book up a few years ago, just to read for myself. A few weeks ago my six year old found it hidden among my millions of other books, and asked me to read it to her. While easy to read silently, it is a bit hard to get into the rythm of the wording at first, but after stumbling through a few paragraphs, it becomes much easier to handle.Unlike The Brothers Grimm's Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Andersen wrote all his ow ...more
Wrenaria
Really a fantastic collection of stories overall. I love a good fairytale, even it it doesn't end happily ever after, which many of these do not. A few of them were less interesting to me, hence the 4 stars, but overall I really enjoyed picking up this book now and then and reading a tale or two at a time in the evening to end the day. Anderson writes beautifully and weaves some really lovely tales together in this collection.
Leah
I've never realized just how amazing Hans Christian Andersen was until I read all of his fairy tales. He has become one of my author-heroes, not only for his amazing stories, but for the amazing story of his life, and the connections I made with him on so many different levels.

Simply beautiful stories, and a simply beautiful storyteller.
Alex Milledge
At first i was caught off guard when I read this book, because I shared to read each story as a moral story, but I only found that some are read that way, while others are more comedic or just stories about how some chicks lived happily ever after.

Personally, I think the most sublime and profound story in this book was that of the ugly duckling. The moral of the story is that you shouldn't be deceived by appearances early on, because those who have rough early may have it better later on. It tea
Joelle
this is my current "read in bed" book. So far my favorite story has been THE SNOW QUEEN, it made me stay up so late! Also- I really love Hans' paper cut-out illustrations.
Allison Rockwell
My favorite stories as a child, I read and reread "The Little Match Girl," "The Shadow," "The Traveling Companion," and many others over and over again.
Samantha Dann van niekerk
Any child that has had a story read to them should have encountered HCA or the brothers Grimm in some shape or form.

I believe any avid reader should go back to the beginning from time to time and re-visit their childhood and by gosh will you not see the very stories and essence from which you read today?

My memories of my mother reading and especially my grandmother reading from books with beautiful illustrations that made one leap into these fantasy worlds and live among the people and the crea
Risa
Very different from the sanitized versions most of us grew up with.
Alexandre
I cannot give this book a rating. It's not in terms of quality, but in terms of the number of stories. Some stories are bland, boring, just thoughts of this author that, while being good tales on their own, do not have that magic that I believe that fairy tales are supposed to have. If this book consisted only of such stories, I'd give it a 2, as it would be just an "ok" book, as the rating suggests.

However, when it comes to stories such as "The Snow Queen" and "The Little Mermaid" this book des
Diana
Who knew what a character he was himself!
  • Tales from 1,001 Nights: Aladdin, Ali Baba and Other Favourites
  • Maggie: a Girl of the Streets: and Other Tales of New York
  • Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions (Barnes & Noble Classics)
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • The Best Tales of Hoffmann
  • The Enchanted Castle & Five Children and It
  • Brzechwa dzieciom
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express theme ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen

“But shouldn't all of us on earth give the best we have to others and offer whatever is in our power?” 36 likes
“There was a proud Teapot, proud of being made of porcelain, proud of its long spout and its broad handle. It had something in front of it and behind it; the spout was in front, and the handle behind, and that was what it talked about. But it didn't mention its lid, for it was cracked and it was riveted and full of defects, and we don't talk about our defects - other people do that. The cups, the cream pitcher, the sugar bowl - in fact, the whole tea service - thought much more about the defects in the lid and talked more about it than about the sound handle and the distinguished spout. The Teapot knew this.” 23 likes