Start by marking “Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)

Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)

Bjørn Hansen has just turned fifty and is horrified by the thought that pure chance has ruled his life. Novel 11, Book 18 is an uncompromising and concentrated existential novel which earned Dag Solstad his second Norwegian Critics’ Prize.
Published 1995 by Oktober (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ellevte roman, bok atten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellevte roman, bok atten

Ieva
Sep 15, 2016 Ieva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nuostabi autoriaus kalba ir puikus lietuviškas vertimas, tačiau man asmeniškai ši knyga kėlė neigiamas emocijas. Taip, tai buvo įdomus kūrinys apie visiškai neįdomų, paviršutinišką, pasroviui plaukiantį žmogų, kurio vienas nepaaiškinamas sprendimas ir sukuria visą kūrinio intrigą. Tik į klausimą - kodėl? - taip ir liko neatsakyta.
Blazes Boylan
Nov 25, 2011 Blazes Boylan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly one of the strangest books I've come across in a while. There is little novelistic affect; Solstad reads as a version of Camus or Kafka taken to the point of absolute banality and set in Norway. Given the protagonist's struggles and disjointed life/story, the denouement becomes truly beautiful. Not a conventionally rewarding read, but certainly not a forgettable one at all.
Hannah Bull
Apr 24, 2015 Hannah Bull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
verdt å merke seg at murakami ble forhørt om sine tre favorittforfattere, da han nevnte tre: cormac mccarthy, kazuo ishiguro og dag solstad. <3 haruki murakami har i anledning oversatt denne til japansk
Óscar Brox
Jan 03, 2015 Óscar Brox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A menudo pensamos en el sentido de la vida como si se tratase de un manual de instrucciones, pocas veces como algo que fabricamos con nuestras acciones. Quizá es que no nos fiamos demasiado de nuestros instintos o, ciertamente, necesitamos investir de relevancia cada decisión tomada. Y, sin embargo, cuánto nos cuesta aceptar que, a veces, las cosas, y la realidad que las envuelve, son simplemente insignificantes; que también hay un poco de belleza y verdad en los aspectos más banales de nuestras ...more
Lucy
May 13, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like looooooong expositions.
Bjorn Hansen is a man with a fairly basic life. He wakes up, he works, he goes home, he sleeps. He lives alone, and happily so. Until he realises his doctor is a drug addict, and his son comes to visit.
Suddenly his life is going to change.

I was a bit confused by this book in it's early days. I didn't get what was going on, the characters made no sense and the plot was everywhere.

But then it clicked, about a hundred pages in.

The first hundred pages or so are pure exposition. We see who Bjorn Hans
Jim Coughenour
I'm ambivalent about this book. On one level it seems deliberately dull, its narration repetitive, pedestrian and completely lacking in humor. It seems to be written by and for someone mildly retarded.
This was the way they handled the food. Nothing special or sensational about it, in a situation where a father has a son who is a student living with him. It was natural to do it that way, natural that Bjørn Hansen bought cooked meats, milk, etc., and that he prepared double portions when he made d
Alison
Jun 18, 2010 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, strange and enjoyable read. Like Ian McEwan this author has a good sense of internal dialogue and the imperfections of humanity. The book reads like a few short stories, and there are little twists that keep it interesting. I never really liked his characters but I think that is intentional; that this book is often about the toggle between tolerance and intolerance of other people. I am unfamiliar with Scandinavian literature but I enjoyed the slightly smug Scandinavian description of w ...more
Eliška
Mar 20, 2016 Eliška rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Never pick a book just because it is short. This book has quite a few pages, but it took me four times more time to read it than a book with three times as many pages.
It was pain. Dag Solstad has a talent in making characters that you just hate. Even though the book is filled with their thoughts more than with some actual plot, you don't understand why the hell do they do what they do. In the end, the most lovable character to me was the main character's son, which was generally disliked for hi
Harald Nordbø
I det hele tatt en god roman, omtrent akkurat like underfundig som alle de andre han skrev på 90-tallet. Den slutter på et uventet sted, som de andre, tilsynelatende uten at historien har forløst seg helt (som de andre fra 90-tallet).
Trish
Oct 27, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I was warned that the whole book reads like a long digression, or I might have become a bit impatient with it in the beginning. But as it went on, I got used to the rather flat prose style, and (as intended, I'm sure) was lulled by it into thinking nothing was really going to happen.
A very satisfying book. I recommend it highly.
Ludmirska
thoroughly enjoyed another dag solstad's book after "shyness and dignity". the end of the story bewildered me.
Erik
Feb 19, 2016 Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, novels
Min andre Solstad-bok, den første var T. Singer. Nivået er like høyt. Dette er veldig bra.
Mike
Mar 31, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slightly odd pacing, but with sections of bleak intensity.
Estelle
May 13, 2016 Estelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Brochettes
Brochettes marked it as to-read
Aušrinė Klydžytė
Aušrinė Klydžytė rated it really liked it
Austė
Austė added it
Jovilė Piragiūtė
Jovilė Piragiūtė rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Håvard Warnes
Håvard Warnes marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Rohinee Sharma
Rohinee Sharma marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
k
k rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
James Smith
James Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Kati
Kati added it
Aug 03, 2016
Oda Villanger
Oda Villanger marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Louise Yorke
Louise Yorke marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Magnus
Magnus rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
BQuiet
BQuiet marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Skråninga
  • Thomas F's siste nedtegnelser til almenheten
  • Lasso rundt fru Luna
  • Kruttårnet
  • Fugledansen (Elling, #2)
  • Lillelord
  • Days in the History of Silence
  • The Discoverer
  • Meeting at the Milestone
  • Fugletribunalet
  • Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen (Eight Children, #2)
  • The Elixir of Immortality
  • Mors gaver
  • Vingebelastning
  • The Ice Palace
  • On Overgrown Paths
  • En dåre fri
620987
Dag Solstad is one of the most recognized Norwegian writers of our time. His debut was in 1956 with the short story collection "Spiraler" (Spirals). His first novel, "Irr! Grønt!", was published four years later. His books have been translated into 30 different languages.

He has won a number of awards, which include the Norwegian critics award three times and also being considered for the Independe
More about Dag Solstad...