Start by marking “Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)

Ellevte roman, bok atten (Paperback)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Bjørn Hansen has just turned fifty and is horrified by the thought that pure chance has ruled his life. Novel 11, Book 18 is an uncompromising and concentrated existential novel which earned Dag Solstad his second Norwegian Critics’ Prize.
Published 1995 by Oktober (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ellevte roman, bok atten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellevte roman, bok atten

Blazes Boylan
Certainly one of the strangest books I've come across in a while. There is little novelistic affect; Solstad reads as a version of Camus or Kafka taken to the point of absolute banality and set in Norway. Given the protagonist's struggles and disjointed life/story, the denouement becomes truly beautiful. Not a conventionally rewarding read, but certainly not a forgettable one at all.
Lucy
May 13, 2013 Lucy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like looooooong expositions.
Bjorn Hansen is a man with a fairly basic life. He wakes up, he works, he goes home, he sleeps. He lives alone, and happily so. Until he realises his doctor is a drug addict, and his son comes to visit.
Suddenly his life is going to change.

I was a bit confused by this book in it's early days. I didn't get what was going on, the characters made no sense and the plot was everywhere.

But then it clicked, about a hundred pages in.

The first hundred pages or so are pure exposition. We see who Bjorn Hans...more
Jim Coughenour
I'm ambivalent about this book. On one level it seems deliberately dull, its narration repetitive, pedestrian and completely lacking in humor. It seems to be written by and for someone mildly retarded.
This was the way they handled the food. Nothing special or sensational about it, in a situation where a father has a son who is a student living with him. It was natural to do it that way, natural that Bjørn Hansen bought cooked meats, milk, etc., and that he prepared double portions when he made d
Alison
A short, strange and enjoyable read. Like Ian McEwan this author has a good sense of internal dialogue and the imperfections of humanity. The book reads like a few short stories, and there are little twists that keep it interesting. I never really liked his characters but I think that is intentional; that this book is often about the toggle between tolerance and intolerance of other people. I am unfamiliar with Scandinavian literature but I enjoyed the slightly smug Scandinavian description of w...more
Trish
I'm glad I was warned that the whole book reads like a long digression, or I might have become a bit impatient with it in the beginning. But as it went on, I got used to the rather flat prose style, and (as intended, I'm sure) was lulled by it into thinking nothing was really going to happen.
A very satisfying book. I recommend it highly.
Ludmirska
thoroughly enjoyed another dag solstad's book after "shyness and dignity". the end of the story bewildered me.
Mike
slightly odd pacing, but with sections of bleak intensity.
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Aleks
Aleks marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Marilyn Quinn
Marilyn Quinn marked it as to-read
Xochi
Xochi marked it as to-read
Espen Møller
Espen Møller marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
620987
Dag Solstad is one of the most recognized Norwegian writers of our time. He deputed in 1956 with the short story collection "Spiraler" (Spirals). His first novel, "Irr! Grønt!", was published four years later. His books have been translated into 30 different languages.

He has won a number of awards, which include receiving the Norwegian critics award thrice and being considered for the Independent...more
More about Dag Solstad...
Shyness and Dignity Gymnaslærer Pedersens Beretning Om Den Store Politiske Vekkelsen Som Har Hjemsøkt Vart Land (Norwegian Edition) Professor Andersens Natt T. Singer: Roman Roman, 1987.