Start by marking “Star Marines (The Legacy Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Star Marines (The Legacy Trilogy, #3)

Star Marines (The Legacy Trilogy #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  743 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
With the planet's fighting men and women deployed across the galaxy—battling in the noble cause of enslaved humanity—the insidious Xul have reached across space to devastate the unsuspecting Earth with asteroid fire. Without warning, a once majestic world is reduced to near-rubble—and the very future of humankind is in dire jeopardy.

Interplanetary leaders are on the brink
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Star Marines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Marines

Mike (the Paladin)
This one gets a 4 star rating, but I must admit it would be a slightly lower 4 than the last book in the series. Where the first two novels revolve mostly around a John Garroway this one picks up some hundreds of years later.

We are still following members of the Garroway family (as we were in the Heritage Trilogy [a series I need to reread as I didn't get into it well the first time]). The story here is good. There is plenty of action and the term "space opera" fits it well. We are introduced to
Steve
Mar 29, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Both trilogies are a good read...lots of action and interesting speculation on how technology will affect humanity.
Andreas
Apr 29, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book three of the sequel trilogy to the exciting Heritage Trilogy. Set a hundred years further in the future, the books flesh out the backstory significantly and satisfyingly. The Marine Corps focused action remains, improved if anything. Douglas (a pen name for William H. Keith) writes about battles, troops and equipment with a gritty and realistic tone.

Star Marines

The action now jumps forward a century and a half, but the main characters are still Garroways. The Hunters of the Dawn, al
Chidi Okonkwo
I bought this item from Borders Bookstore some time ago. This book was epic in its scale, and the author has a way of drawing you into his scenarios via his vivid descriptions. This Trilogy story follows a lineage, tracing the male ancestry of the Garroways, a military family; and it shows how a writer can create a very interesting legacy, while showing cool technological advancements from one book to the next. Gunnery Sergeant Travis Garroway is the main hero and his uncle, General Garroway, is ...more
Steven Allen
This was a decent conclusion to this series. I will not keep the books as I do not believe they are worth a reread, but I did enjoy the reading. Good escapist literature that you do not have to pay too much attention to. I like how the author let the readers know what happened to earlier characters, without bogging the story down with the new cast of characters.
Darrell
Mar 21, 2009 Darrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I think this has been the most enjoyable of the six books in this series so far. It was nicely paced with plenty of momentous sequences but not just an action slug fest. There was good plot development and the background material felt a lot more solid and original then some of the previous books that have tended to be repetitive in this regard. I really enjoyed how the in system space engagements played out.
The final strike on the Xul base was starting to seem way to far fetched but did come ba
Triopticon
Jan 31, 2015 Triopticon rated it liked it
Not as good as the first 2 in the series. Overall, I really enjoyed this trilogy and enjoy the universe that is being created. I look forward to reading the next trilogy.
Matthew
Jun 15, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a complaint, really. The detail of the disaster on Earth is overkill, and its not holding my attention.
Dominc Bender
Jul 11, 2012 Dominc Bender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A GREAT end to the Legacy Trilogy buying much needed time for Earth in preparation for the return of the Xul race also known as the Hunters of the Dawn. The last visit of the Xul culminated in the destruction of interstellar allies and the human race being sent backwards in racial/societal ascendance of technology and existence. The next trilogy The Inheritance Trilogy will cover the repercussions of this book and bring out the end of the story arc either giving mankind the ascendance it has ea ...more
Marty Ponnech
With the ending of Star Marines, the Legacy trilogy came to a most satisfying conclusion. The action sequences throughout the entire series was taut and frightening. The book personified what hard science fiction is all about. High tech weaponry and law bending physics were more than a meal to satisfy the hunger for knowing what the future may hold. Looking forward to reading the "Inheritance" trilogy to see where the Corps and humankind end up in the survival of the fittest galaxy. Semper Fi Ia ...more
Tom Folsom
Like the last two books in the series, this is candy, but nice candy. Aside from one part where the writer confuses which of the two characters whose last name is Galloway he is writing about (or rather, which experiences each had had), it was decently written. Just... nothing special at all.
Ralph
Jan 14, 2010 Ralph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This was I think even better than the previous 5 books. There was more background and then the final part of the book was a true page turner.
Harry
Dec 04, 2011 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea that humans go out into the Universe and kick ass on galactic bullies.
Dean Tubbs
Dean Tubbs marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jason Savage
Jason Savage rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Jonathan Herbst
Jonathan Herbst rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Tim
Tim added it
Jan 29, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 22, 2016
Amanda Holland
Amanda Holland marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
J. David Morris
J. David Morris rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Petr
Petr rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Natefleis
Natefleis rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Lyric
Lyric rated it it was amazing
C D
C D rated it it was amazing
Amloid Mesa
Amloid Mesa rated it liked it
Wesley Rackley
Wesley Rackley rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • Orphan's Alliance (Jason Wander, #4)
  • Contact with Chaos (Freehold, #4)
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • Crusade (Starfire, #2)
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • The First Casualty (Jump Universe, #1)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • Hell's Faire (Posleen War, #4)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)

The Legacy Trilogy (3 books)
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Battlespace (The Legacy Trilogy, #2)