Blank-133x176
Geisterschiff

Dietlof Reiche

Geisterschiff

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Vicki planned to spend her summer as a waitress in her father's seaside restaurant, a must-see tourist destination w/ its seashell-covered walls, a 230-year-old portrait of an evil eyed sea Captain & the majestic figurehead from his ship. But when the bay went dry & a 1772 sailing ship appeared, Vicki's course was reset. For where the greedy mayor saw dollars signs...more
296 pages
Published 2002 by Hanser

To ask other readers questions about Geisterschiff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geisterschiff

Terrible terrible writing; nothing is descriptive and events fly by too fast. Characters are not stable and are not introduced very well.
Serendipity Reviews
Two things attracted me to this book when I saw it. Firstly the cover, it just looks so ghostly and chilling, I couldn't resist. Secondly, the idea of a bay drying up and an eighteenth century ship appearing adrift in the bay. What a fabulously original story line. I was completely intrigued by this book and couldn't wait to read it.

I actually took this one on holiday with me, as it appealed to my holiday mood - set in a seaside tourist area revolving around tales from the past.

I have to be hon...more
Tori
Michael Dea
The book “Ghost Ship” by Dietlof Reiche I originally read when I was in middle school, when I was the rough age of the characters of the book. When I read it then, I thought it was a fairly entertaining story, enjoying the level of mystery and the storyline. After reading it a second time, several years later, I still found it interesting, but I could better see the literary devices that Reiche used, and what actually went into creating the story.
Ghost Ship is the story of how an 18th century...more
Sarah Sammis
Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche is a young adult mystery with paranormal themes. Vikki plans to spend her summer waiting tables in her parents' restaurant, a must see stop in their seaside village. A summertime friendship with boy visiting the town with his parents and the mayor's renewed interest in the figurehead that sits in prominent display in the restaurant sparks a series of events that forces the village to relive the events that brought the figurehead to shore.

The book has some fantastic m...more
Jenn
I'm really liking this book now. My sister let me go through her books at school and told me take a few that caught my interest. She teaches 7th grade English and 9th grade AP English.
So far I'm liking it. At the beginning it talks about it is the year 1772 and how Jacob Adams creates figureheads for ships. Work is hard to come by and finally a client comes in and asks for a figurehead for this ship. Some how Jacob knew exactly what kind of figurehead was meant to be for the mans ship. So he ma...more
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
El mar que baña la costa de un pueblecito del nor­te de Europa ha retrocedido millas y, como por arte de magia, un buque del siglo XVIII ha aparecido encallado en perfectas condiciones donde la gente solía bañarse. Entre los curiosos que se acercan a contemplar este extraño acontecimiento se encuentran la joven Lena, hija del chef del Salón de los Moluscos (un restaurante bastante conocido de la zona), y Félix, un chico de su edad que veranea con sus padres en el pueblo.

El barco aparecido es el...more
Books4m
Wow I never read ghost stories and truth be told I had no idea this was one. The back just gave the impression of a good mystery, but this book was wonderful. Hard to put down and full of the history that I so enjoy in a book. The ghost mystery was well thought out and in the end the author answered every question I asked. I cant tell you how important good writing is when you are writing a ghost story told to detailed and you just scare the readers with no depth but to loosly written and the my...more
Rene
9/25/08
1. My goal for this week was to get to page 250.
2. This week I read 44 pages (211-255)

3. Vicki is a very adventureous teen who has an interest in ships. She has a particular interest in the figurehead of the vessel named the "Storm Goddess". And once she has a goal for herself she meets it.

4. My goal for next week is to get to Part Three of the book.

9/18/08
1. My goal this week was to get to page 200.
2. This week I read 48 pages (162-210)

3. The setting of this book is in city with a beach...more
Bella
This book is still one of my favorite books. Every time I would decided that it's time to stop reading and go out or go to bed something new would hook me in and I would fall for it all over again. Definitely an amazing book!
Sally
It was about a girl named Vicky and her friend that is a boy. They found a ship that keep on appearing on the shore of the beach. And they figure out that it was a ghost ship. They soon were in adventure and they had to slove a mystery of the lost doubloons and also the lost crewe. But not so fast someone was after the
doubloons to and at the very end they found the doubloons and caught the crimmal!
Megan M.
Dec 06, 2007 Megan M. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was an okay book. I read it a long time ago, probably in the summer or something. I had a hard time finding this book on goodreads because this isn't the exact cover of the book in the library...in case you're wondering. It's about a mystery in the town about a sinking ship. One night, part of the bay gets dried up and there sits a pirate ship...maybe full of treasure?? They explore and find out.
Pandora
The book would have been better if it had been shorter. It was trying to be creepy but the length of the book made it hard to maintain the scare and slowed the pace of action. The book also has a basic logic flaw. The Mayor is suppose to be a descedent of the Captain. But, the Captain is an orphan and died with no children. So, where did the Mayor come from?
Terrorofthehighseascalledfred
I learned never to read scary books near bedtime. It's very creepy. For example, when the Storm Goddess -- which is the Ghost Ship -- suddenly appeared. On board the ship, there were some mutineers and they fought a battle, I don't know why, but they were doomed to fight that battle every night. All the descriptions of the battle were creepy.
Tiffany
Apr 14, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who luv adventure!
i luv the characters. especially vicky!!!!!!! to my friend michelle!!!!! =P + my friends at Faria and at other schools in the future. especially valene, binti, yeona, monique, and of course i cant leave out linda! ur all my very good friends. i forgot vidya and sahana. (cindy) not the cindy at faria!
Viv
My friend recommended it to me and I read it over winter break. The description was amazing and I could "see" the events play out in my mind. The suspense was thrilling and when I read the part about the truth of the ship, I really felt spooked.
Breena
My 22 month old pulled this off the shelf and I thought it looked good so I read it. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the adventure and particularly the ending. Endings are important! It was a light read but intriguing.
Nina
I liked this book when I was little. It was a pretty good adventure book that didn't have to go out of it's way to make it fun to read. It gives you lots of questions as you go through the book.
Natalie
Feb 28, 2009 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I think this book was great! I bought it a couple years ago at a book fair, and I finally got the chance to read it. I think it's a great mystery book for teens.
Arianna Orlandi
I thought the ending to this book was really good. There were some confusing parts here and there that I had to re-read, but other than that, this was a great book.
Evan D
This book was very scary at some parts and it had a lot of ghostly parts to it like when Vicki saw ghosts fighting on a ghost ship and a couple began to like her.
Jimi-carol Benton
I dont like scary things but this book was great. It was not scary to the point of not being able to sleep at night. Mostly just suspenseful.
Jess
Interesting sort of ghost story. I'd be interested to see what others thought of this. I'm thinking some might like it better than I do.
Helen
I think my kids will really enjoy this, but I thought it was kind of juvenile. A pretty big stretch and just not too believable.
Arlene
This is one ghost story that really travels thru time to capture the reader and set the wandering souls to rest.
Mikael
It was short and fun! The imagery of the ship and the pirates was very good, and realistic. I liked it a lot.
Caila
The best mystery I have read in a long time. It has many twists and turns that will keep you guessing the end.
Puertoricanboi
May 14, 2008 Puertoricanboi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries
this book was cool about a bay goes dry and a mysterious ship appears in the bay and is scaring the whole town
Sylvia
Crew of 1773 ship is doomed to haunt modern town until misdeed is redeemed by quatermaster's descendant.
  • Hamlet
  • Into the Woods
  • In Ecstasy
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • Girl Underground
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • Missing Abby
  • Aries Rising  (Star Crossed, #1)
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • In the Arms of Stone Angels
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Big Fat Manifesto
  • The Bridge
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Alchemy
  • Charlie's Raven
  • The Teen Model Mystery (Nancy Drew, #125)
  • Around the World in 100 Days
I, Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #1) Freddy In Peril (The Golden Hamster Saga, #2) The Haunting Of Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #4) Freddy To The Rescue (The Golden Hamster Saga, #3) Freddy's Final Quest (The Golden Hamster Saga, #5)