Start by marking “La fiamma della notte” as Want to Read:
La fiamma della notte

La fiamma della notte (Gaean Reach)

L'ossessione lo insegue dovunque, sui pianeti più incredibili e tra le razze più infide della galassia: Jaro deve scoprire a tutti i costi che ha uciso i suoi genitori adottivi, qual è l'identità di suo padre, per quale ragione la sua vita è in pericolo, fin da quando era ragazzo. Quando finirà il suo viaggio?

Copertina di Marco Patrito

Versione per libreria di Urania 1312

Mass Market Paperback, Urania Libreria #14, 459 pages
Published June 1997 by Mondadori (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about La fiamma della notte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La fiamma della notte

mark monday
it can be all about the journey, right? it can be about the things along the way, how a place works or how a people think, it can be about taking in the details and experiencing them slowly, at leisure. it doesn't have to be a whirlwind amazing race around the world, stops checked off of a list while on the way to figuring out the next puzzle, it doesn't have to be all about solving the mystery and reaching the final destination to collect whatever prize or face whatever doom is waiting there.

Ja
Dan Schwent
Sep 18, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, 2010
A six-year boy is found nearly beaten to death and, in order to save his life, a portion of his memory is erased. He recovers and is adopted and becomes Jaro Fath, an outcast youth on the socially stratified planet Thanet. As Jaro gets older, his desire to find out about his past intensifies until he can resist the call of space no longer! Will he be able to unlock the mysteries of his past?

First off, I have to say I've discovered an advantage of reading using a digital book rather than an analo
Derek
May 31, 2013 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At least in immediate plot, this breaks absolutely no new ground for Vance: an intense young man operating within an ornate and slightly ridiculous social structure, in pursuit of something unusual, who must discover his competences and have an off-kilter romance with an equally quirky young lady. See also, the Cadwal Chronicles, various Alastor Cluster stories, and so forth.

Even if it is a rehash of ideas, his language and constructions and characters always make it work and always make the rea
Christopher
Dec 06, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Lamp is a gem. It's another late Vance SF novel, written next after he'd finished the Cadwal trilogy, and it shares that work's close plotting. He indulges in a couple of his favorite formulae – one's first romantic interest coming to a bad end, and social class struggles being rigidly formalized and overt – but this sort of thing is expected. It wouldn't be Vance without it.

(view spoiler)
Jaro
Apr 01, 2015 Jaro marked it as read-in-other-edition-to-reread  ·  review of another edition
This is 261 of 600 signed numbered copies of the deluxe limited edition signed by Jack Vance.
Bex
Feb 12, 2014 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-reads
Probably the quirkiest, dorkiest and easily visualized sci-fi/fantasy novel I've ever read!!
Srfletcher
May 14, 2015 Srfletcher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Shit, this took some warming up. The huge majority of the plot is in the final 30% of the book, so prepare yourself for some heavy world building. This was my first jack Vance, and apparently he's a master so I decided to try it, and I did end up liking it, but not for the first 60% of the book. Characters are all shockingly formal in elocution (apparently a style thing) and it took some brain bending to get into it. I liked the world building- clearly creative although I personally found it unr ...more
Edward Davies
Vance takes what could have been a simple story of revenge and twists it into a satirical look at how society compartmentalises people into strict groups that they can never escape from. The characterisation of Jaro is fun, and the supporting characters expertly assist him through his journey to discover what happened to his family and, indeed, who they were. Filled with witty rejoinders and sideways looks at the world, this is an entertaining and multi-layered read.
Seth Kenlon
Oct 25, 2008 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my absolute favourite books. When I had a copy of it, I would read it through, and when I reached the end, I'd open it back to the beginning, and re-read it. Vance creates such a vivid world, and such great characters, that the fairly standard plot becomes a secondary concern. It's a very enjoyable and very unique read.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Vancian weirdness at it's finest ~
Andrew
Nov 28, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book, well written with a great story that unfolds in directions that you just can't possibly imagine.
Ben
Jul 22, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jack Vance's style of writing is my favorite in this genre. Night Lamp is just one excellent example of his mastery over prose.
Lianne Pheno
Nov 26, 2016 Lianne Pheno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronique tirée de mon blog :

Voila une lecture de science fiction à l'ancienne, c'est à dire qu'il n'est pas facile de rentrer dedans, mais une fois lancé on est totalement récompensé !
Je ne pourrais faire meilleur résumé que celui de l'éditeur, nous suivons donc Jaro depuis sa toute jeune enfance dans sa quête pour savoir qui il est et d’où il vient.

Comme je le disais le seul problème de ce livre c'est que le chemin est long avant qu'il arrive vraiment à s'identifier ou s’intéresser à Jaro.
Africandreamer
Mar 27, 2016 Africandreamer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-scifi
According to Adam Roberts, who introduces Night Lamp, Jack Vance was "truly the most stylish of writers". Perhaps in another book, maybe?

This book is basically dull. It has a banal plot, set in a cardboard world view, with (almost universally) repellent characters, speaking impossibly stilted dialogue.

The plot: the back of the book says: "Jaro Fath's past is lost - and his future is in peril. Found as a child with no memory of his past (this isn't strictly true, by the way), adopted by a scholar
Michael Pryor
Mar 09, 2017 Michael Pryor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baroque, fey, punctilious.
Malquiviades
Feb 15, 2017 Malquiviades rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have liked this novel, but might be not because the usual reasons. Besides, I have spent a long time deciding on how to rate it.

The background is the Gaean Reach and Vance demonstrates once more the mastering of the society and world building that I like so much. However, I have come to the conclusion that what he masters best is the building of societies just by extrapolating and exaggerating our own or simply by means of his fertile imagination. And here you may see two paradigmatic examples
Hokomoko
Here you find a biographical tale, from youth to adulthood, full of some extraordinarily entertaining, while strange, peoples and situations. Vance oscillates between a kind of tense low-stakes space opera and farcical situations. If the main character hadn't become an action hero (boo!) I would have liked this book much more. Also, the culmination tapered off a bit too slowly for my tastes. What is most remarkable about this story is its similarities with Jack Vance's Emphyrio - a much better c ...more
Ronald Swanston
Well was not what I expected at all baroque space opera, Alexandre Dumas gets a Vanceian makeover?
Stuart Rimmer
Aug 27, 2011 Stuart Rimmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack Vance, the language he uses, the worlds and characters he creates, and tales he weaves. This book doesn't disappoint. I can appreciate not everyone will take to Vance, but those who do will like this book very much.
Edwin Kort
Dec 13, 2015 Edwin Kort rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Soms het idee dat er wat in het boek tussen gevoegd was. wat voor doek had het om opeens de doodgewaande broer te voorschijn te brengen als du e later toch weer zou overlijden. ook kamer dat er een verhaal in een verhaal zat.
Jetamors
Man, I wanted to like this for its worldbuilding and sardonic tone, but the protagonist is a creep, and the pacing is disjointed. (Please don't spend most of your book setting up a mystery that's fully explained in an infodump 80% of the way through.)
Voss
Dec 17, 2014 Voss rated it it was amazing
Stupendo.
Una narrazione dettagliata appassionante inventiva di mondi e personaggi geniale :)
Personaggi drammatici e credibili fino all'ultimo.
Un po' affrettato il finale, ma sta bene così: sarebbe risultato troppo pesante forse.
Shannon Appelcline
Somewhat colorful, but the plot is slow and meandering. In some ways typical of Vance, but not his best work.
Mark
Aug 29, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Jack Vance! Read a Vance novel now!
Julien
Mar 28, 2008 Julien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly, grandiose, old-fashioned pulp science fiction from the master of such.
Hal
Aug 17, 2009 Hal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The NY Times called Vance an unappreciated sci fi master (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/mag...). I thought this one was enjoyable, though sort of pulpy.

Peter Greenwell
Two thirds of a good book. But Jack lad, you've let me down with that last third.
Robin Benton
Sep 22, 2013 Robin Benton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great stylist. Compare him to David Foster Wallace or Jasper Fforde.
Goutham
Goutham rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Missing 2 13 Jun 24, 2015 01:49PM
  • Starborne
  • The Middle of Nowhere (Star Wolf, #3)
  • Dead Girls
  • Drowning Towers
  • Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0)
  • Life During Wartime
  • Quest of the Three Worlds
  • Becoming Human (Harmony of Worlds, #2)
  • Dune 2
  • Hypérion 2
  • Oms en série
  • La Zone du Dehors
  • Shambleau
  • Une danse avec les dragons (Le trône de fer, #15)
  • De thuiskomst: Het Rijk van de Ouderlingen
  • The Spiral Labyrinth: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (#2)
  • The Golden Globe (Eight Worlds)
  • They Also Ran
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

Gaean Reach (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Gray Prince
  • Maske: Thaery
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Ecce and Old Earth (Cadwal Chronicles, #2)
  • Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)
  • The Demon Princes