La fiamma della notte

La fiamma della notte (Gaean Reach)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  16 reviews
L'ossessione lo insegue dovunque, sui pianeti più incredibili e tra le razze più infide della galassia: Jaro deve scoprire a tutti i costi che ha uciso i suoi genitori adottivi, qual è l'identità di suo padre, per quale ragione la sua vita è in pericolo, fin da quando era ragazzo. Quando finirà il suo viaggio?

Copertina di Marco Patrito

Versione per libreria di Urania 1312

NO...more
Mass Market Paperback, Urania Libreria #14, 459 pages
Published June 1997 by Mondadori (first published 1996)

Dan Schwent
A six-year boy is found nearly beaten to death and, in order to save his life, a portion of his memory is erased. He recovers and is adopted and becomes Jaro Fath, an outcast youth on the socially stratified planet Thanet. As Jaro gets older, his desire to find out about his past intensifies until he can resist the call of space no longer! Will he be able to unlock the mysteries of his past?

First off, I have to say I've discovered an advantage of reading using a digital book rather than an analo...more
Derek
At least in immediate plot, this breaks absolutely no new ground for Vance: an intense young man operating within an ornate and slightly ridiculous social structure, in pursuit of something unusual, who must discover his competences and have an off-kilter romance with an equally quirky young lady. See also, the Cadwal Chronicles, various Alastor Cluster stories, and so forth.

Even if it is a rehash of ideas, his language and constructions and characters always make it work and always make the rea...more
Christopher
Night Lamp is a gem. It's another late Vance SF novel, written next after he'd finished the Cadwal trilogy, and it shares that work's close plotting. He indulges in a couple of his favorite formulae – one's first romantic interest coming to a bad end, and social class struggles being rigidly formalized and overt – but this sort of thing is expected. It wouldn't be Vance without it.

(view spoiler)...more
Voss
Stupendo.
Una narrazione dettagliata appassionante inventiva di mondi e personaggi geniale :)
Personaggi drammatici e credibili fino all'ultimo.
Un po' affrettato il finale, ma sta bene così: sarebbe risultato troppo pesante forse.
Bex Kitsch
Probably the quirkiest, dorkiest and easily visualized sci-fi/fantasy novel I've ever read!!
Seth Kenlon
This is one of my absolute favourite books. When I had a copy of it, I would read it through, and when I reached the end, I'd open it back to the beginning, and re-read it. Vance creates such a vivid world, and such great characters, that the fairly standard plot becomes a secondary concern. It's a very enjoyable and very unique read.
Stuart Rimmer
I love Jack Vance, the language he uses, the worlds and characters he creates, and tales he weaves. This book doesn't disappoint. I can appreciate not everyone will take to Vance, but those who do will like this book very much.
Hal
The NY Times called Vance an unappreciated sci fi master (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/mag...). I thought this one was enjoyable, though sort of pulpy.

Ben
Jack Vance's style of writing is my favorite in this genre. Night Lamp is just one excellent example of his mastery over prose.
Andrew
An excellent book, well written with a great story that unfolds in directions that you just can't possibly imagine.
Shannon Appelcline
Somewhat colorful, but the plot is slow and meandering. In some ways typical of Vance, but not his best work.
Peter Greenwell
Two thirds of a good book. But Jack lad, you've let me down with that last third.
Robin Benton
What a great stylist. Compare him to David Foster Wallace or Jasper Fforde.
Julien
Silly, grandiose, old-fashioned pulp science fiction from the master of such.
Mark
Jack Vance! Read a Vance novel now!
BAKU
Vancian weirdness at it's finest ~
Thom
Thom added it
Mar 09, 2014
Federico Venturin
Federico Venturin marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
  • Starborne
  • The Other End of Time
  • Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0)
  • Natural History
  • Flux
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • Frameshift
  • Norstrilia
  • Endangered Species
  • Love & Sleep (The Aegypt Cycle, #2)
  • Bios
  • Drowning Towers
  • Timelike Infinity (Xelee Sequence, #2)
  • Salt
  • La Horde du Contrevent
  • Faces Under Water (Secret Books of Venus, #1)
  • The Best of Poe
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr...more
More about Jack Vance...
The Dying Earth Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying Earth/The Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga/Rhialto the Marvellous Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)