The Pyramid

The Pyramid

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Oliver is 18, and wants to enjoy himself before he goes to university. But this is the 1920s, and he lives in a small country town, where everyone knows what everyone else is up to, and where love and lust are closely followed by revenge.
Published 2010 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Pyramid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pyramid

Tom Parnell
Sep 11, 2011 Tom Parnell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unsentimentalists
'I did not deceive myself into believing that I was good looking, but I had heard that girls were relatively indifferent to that. I hoped they were; for as I inspected my face in the mirror, I came to the regretful conclusion that it was not the sort of face I should fall in love with myself. There was nothing fragile about it. I tried smiling winningly at myself, but the result made me grimace with disgust.'

I didn't expect this book to make me cry. So much of it is written with an exceptionally...more
Viktor Davion
I was really amazed while reading this book. Essentially it reminded me "The Catcher in the Rye" but like other Golding's novels this one is rather downbeat. Not so dark as "Lord of the Flies", but any way - downbeat.
The strange thing is that almost all heroes have a kind of mental sickness (e.g. main hero's mother likes to watch life of others and, in fact, torture the life of her husband and son). The whole society of Stillborn is sick with social prejudices and was broken into several social...more
umberto
I hope this might be a fine book for those in their teens or those passing their once teen-age years. This novel was not interesting to me but I found reading it curiously and interestingly hilarious since the eighteen-year-old protagonist, Oliver, is the first person who narrates the two key episodes in the 1920s in Stilbourne in England. Claimed to be "William Golding's funniest and most light-hearted novel, probing the painful awkwardness of the late teens, the tragedy and farce of life in a...more
Allie Whiteley
Very clever, well written and amusing novel. Not sure I liked Oliver terribly much but the book kept me engaged and it was a swift read.
Chris
The book is almost like three short stories, each concerning the same central character, Olly.
The book begins with an excellent opening in which Olly’s dreamed about neighbour, Evie, whom he has never spoken to, calls at his house late one night to ask for help. This leads to a story of intrigue and love between the two which is fine work and immediately had me buying more books by Golding.
About half way through, we meet the Olly who has come back from university, only to get roped into amateur...more
Maria Carmo
(Portuguese review further down).

What an interesting book! I did not know exactly what to expect but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It is very interesting the way in which the Author describes to us a "pyramidal" society in which people have hardly the space to be happy. There is in the young boy a certain "innocence" that includes a lot of ego centrism and selfishness - but one gets the notion that this happens much more out of inexperience and ignorance about the depths of Human Nature......more
Steve
The opening third of the novel is a glorious coming of age story delivered in the most wondrous of prose. However,Golding chooses to uproot and transport the reader to the return of his now mature protagonist to his hometown. Unaccountably he does so whilst cutting all narrative threads to Evie, the most colourful character to consume Oliver's adolescence. Worse, the plot centres on a comedy of manners surrounding an amateur theatrical production, and clever use of dialogue aside, little to enga...more
Janet
I was disappointed with this one, having really loved Lord of the Flies and the Double Tongue. It came across as quite biographical and I felt quite uncomfortable about his relationship with Evie, with her character never really fully explored/explained.
Kent
Kent marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kirsten Joosten
Kirsten Joosten marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ruth Cain
Ruth Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Ika
Ika marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Elif
Elif added it
Sep 02, 2014
Mariana Reis
Mariana Reis marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Louie Cullen
Louie Cullen marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Adi
Adi marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
معتز
معتز marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Natalie Kovacs
Natalie Kovacs marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • The spire, William Golding : notes
  • Cross Channel
  • Complete Enderby: Inside Mr. Enderby, Enderby Outside, the Clockwork Testament, and Enderby's...
  • Manhã Submersa
  • Penguin Island
  • The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories
  • In Hazard
  • The Gentleman from San Francisco and Other Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • Local Anaesthetic
  • Out of the Shelter
  • The Marbled Swarm
  • Union Street
  • The Tree Of Man
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • Miracle of the Rose
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted by the Queen of England in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding...more
More about William Golding...
Lord of the Flies Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1) The Inheritors Pincher Martin: The Two Deaths of Christopher Martin Darkness Visible