Start by marking “Too Close for Comfort” as Want to Read:
Too Close for Comfort

Too Close for Comfort

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Sometimes the truth is a little too close for comfort...

DS Wendy Knight is Mildenheath CID’s newest murder squad recruit. In trying to solve the murder of Ella Barrington, a known prostitute, Wendy comes to realise that she has a serial killer on her hands.

As the murder investigation continues, Wendy begins to suspect that her new love interest, Robert Ludford, may have
Published January 4th 2011 (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Too Close for Comfort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Close for Comfort

Cindy Winder delong
Jul 18, 2015 Cindy Winder delong rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
Bola
Feb 02, 2014 Bola rated it it was ok
This was extremely boring and found the writing style very short and curt. I read this within 3 hours and felt it has good potential but just needed more content.
Rodney Martin
Oct 12, 2015 Rodney Martin rated it it was ok
Short but not punchy . Just got my e-reader but before I really get going I feel I have to catch up by reviewing a whole lot of books that I read in the last few months, before I forget them all. Good thing this one is only a very short read. It’s not memorable. It’s very slight in both length and quality. There’s only a mediocre understanding of cop practice and procedure here, and that is probably derived from too much television. There are just too many glib moments. Real cops would probably ...more
Martin Pingree
Nov 02, 2015 Martin Pingree rated it really liked it
This was a quick fun read. Little bit different twist to your standard murder mystery fare but a lot of fun. At least in this British based story you didn't have to suffer through a lot British slang.
Samantha Curtis
Jan 06, 2016 Samantha Curtis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Well as I couldn't sleep I thought I would finish this off.

This is my second book by Adam croft and another one I really enjoyed. I got through this book pretty quick. What I love about Adams books are he makes the main character loved. I have really took to the character and when it comes to end of book in disappointed cus j want more lol

I am giving this book a 5 star as it for me going from the start to finish.

DS Wendy knight is the new recruitment in the murder squad in midenhealth. After g
Lisa Wightman
Jan 23, 2013 Lisa Wightman rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
Dreadful! I simply can't find a single positive thing to say about this book... Oh yeah, it was short!
Has to be one of the most unbelievable books I've ever read, it was factually incorrect on a number of occasions, the dialogue was horrendous, the plot was laughable and characters were 2 dimensional at best.
Ted Tayler
Jul 01, 2015 Ted Tayler rated it liked it
“A Croft Original to keep you amused”

Knight and Culverhouse are a decent enough pairing. They display most of the familiar traits that are ascribed to gritty older detectives and their attractive young female colleagues.Whether these attributes hold true or not today I doubt; but they may have in the 80's and if you can transfer this story in your mind's eye to an earlier era then it works just fine. The ending was a little odd, but with a 'short' you don't get a lot of time to really develop th
Janine
Nov 27, 2015 Janine rated it it was amazing
It throws you straight into the story and what a story it is.

DS Wendy Knight is the newest member of CID at Mildenheath and she isn't afraid to speak her mind to her new boss.

Ladies of the night start to be murdered and Wendy is drawn into the web of the murderer making it a bit too close for comfort but her boss encourages this which makes her feel uneasy to think that someone who's she become close to in a short space of time could be capable of such crimes, but things take a turn for the wors
Charity
Feb 05, 2016 Charity rated it liked it
Too Close for Comfort by Adam Croft

I listened to the audiobook version very well narrated by Nigel Patterson. The book was only 3 hours long in this format. I found this to be a very short, easy read that felt too predictable. While the storyline was interesting it lacked the flow I hoped to find. The story felt rushed and the ending seemed like an afterthought. I would have rated it higher but the characters lacked depth which made it difficult for me to like any of them. Having said all this
Tbanj
Apr 13, 2011 Tbanj rated it it was ok
It was okay. The story felt rushed and the ending didn't make that much sense to me.
Sheila Myers
Adam Croft tells a good story that I would rate higher if it weren't for the things that he needs to do better to further master the craft of writing. I'll admit, it may just be my opinion based on other books I've read, but I think the characters lack any depth and all of them seemed so self-centered and egoistical I found it difficult to like any of them. There are a couple of subplots running along with the main plot, yet the story jumps around so much it was difficult for me to follow along.
Robert Storey
Jan 11, 2016 Robert Storey rated it it was ok
This is mercifully short. But very clichéd. Basic knowledge of forensics and police procedure seems to emanate from the author watching too much television of a variety that is twenty years out of date. Very predictable, lacking in genuine suspense. A fair bit of sexism, too. DCI Culverhouse and his gullible sidekick Wendy Knight, the main protagonist, are the kind of police officer that went out, thankfully, shortly after the Ark
Tom Elder
Oct 15, 2015 Tom Elder rated it really liked it
Adam Croft.
Book 1.
Too Close For Comfort.
1st in the Knight and Culverhouse series. Wendy Knight is a DS in the local police and Jack Culverhouse is the DCI. When there is a spate of murders in there local area they are called on to find the criminal. A fast paced read that will keep your attention to the very end. Recommended read.
4* 15 October 2015.
Teresa
Jan 17, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
That ending was totally unexpected! Wow! There isn't anything I can write in this review without spoiling the adventure for someone else. Excellent, quick read. Wendy's return to work was mighty disappointing, but it didn't take away too much from the full story.
Ann
Dec 07, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
Love the characters of Knight & Culverhouse, so different but somehow good for each other.

Fast paced and gritty this book will keep you engrossed right to the end.

Looking forward to more of this.
Ruth
Oct 07, 2011 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
c2011. I am glad that this was a freebie from Kindle books. The dialogue and characters were horrible - perhaps this book was aimed at a mainly masculine audience but I felt that the actions of the females were very unrealistic.. and, whilst not a prude, the language was appalling and certainly seemed gratutitous to a certain degree. Certainly not for me but I am sure that some younger masculine readers will enjoy. I believe that this is a self published work and whilst I admire any author that ...more
Kay
Jan 29, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I enjoyed the book. I don't know why it's getting such negative reviews. I had to look up a few meanings because it's written by a British author but I thought the plot and characters were well written and believable.
Pam
Sep 11, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable book and i shall certainly look for more books by this author :)
Wendy
Sep 02, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it
Too much swearing in it for me, but it was a good read. Free kobo book. Very short.
Tracey
Feb 02, 2016 Tracey rated it liked it
This was an easy but predictable read.
Janet
Nov 06, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
very good
Heather Connolly-helvie
I enjoyed this book. Actually got through it pretty quickly which is a first in a long time because I'm so busy.
Some bits were predictable but still got surprised by a few twists. I enjoyed the close detail included that were very British.

Would recommend for a quick page turner. And would try another book by Adam.
Louise Cable
Dec 06, 2011 Louise Cable rated it liked it
I read this book within a day, really easy to read and kept you guessing and trying to solve the crime before they did.

Enjoyed reading this but I do wish it had gone on a bit longer, but well worth getting as free book on Kindle
Diana Jackson
Sep 22, 2011 Diana Jackson rated it liked it
Now this isn't my normal type of book but I met Adam Croft at his book signing and I like to strectch myself out of mould from time to time. This is a gritty thriller and i am sure we will be seeing more of Adam in the future.
Ange
Mar 21, 2012 Ange rated it liked it
I have to say that some may find this predictable others may not, very short story fiction wise and worth a read if you want something that may take you only a few days or less to read it from front to back.
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
Oct 20, 2015 Bonnie Gleckler Clark rated it really liked it
A rare find for me....it was succinct, well paced, and albeit a bit obvious as plots go, interesting. Characters a bit sophomoric yet enjoyable. I am certain I will read another Adam Croft novel!
Adam Croft
Apr 04, 2011 Adam Croft rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Oops! Clicked the review stars on my iPhone to see the ratings and ended up rating my own book. Trying to get it reversed in the interest of fairness.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it
This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Alan Nixon
Nov 26, 2015 Alan Nixon rated it it was amazing
Jenni Bird
Apr 06, 2011 Jenni Bird rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Interesting characters, a compelling plot and a twist at the end I genuinely didn't see coming...
  • Spoilt
  • Graveyard Games
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • The Silver Ring
  • No Fear
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Painless
  • Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #2)
  • One Small Victory
  • Cash Burn
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Disturbed Earth
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • There Must Be Murder
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
Adam Croft is a British author, principally of crime fiction, best known for the Knight & Culverhouse series of crime thrillers set in the fictional town of Mildenheath and the Kempston Hardwick mysteries.

His work has won him critical acclaim as well as three Amazon bestsellers, with his Kempston Hardwick mystery books being adapted as audio plays starring some of the biggest names in British
More about Adam Croft...