Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 30 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know.

Not sure whether your post-high school
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Noor Barotchi
Oct 17, 2015 Noor Barotchi rated it really liked it
Having listened to a few of Grammar Girl's podcasts, I bought this book (and others in the series) to feed my zeal for the English language.

Each word is accompanied by an etymology, which made it a highly interesting read and gave useful tips for remembering certain words. While I finished high school a few years ago, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that there were quite a few words that I didn't know, and of those that I did, most I learned after I finished high school.

I do question whether s
Annette
Sep 07, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing
When I first flipped through this book, a few entries caught my eye. (Glacier? Really?) I wondered why Fogarty had included them in a list of words of importance for high school grads. Then I read it. Now I get it. (Yes, glacier. Really.)

The words in this book aren't necessarily ones that high school grads will know if they did their homework. I've seen similar lists for high school grads, and they usually do include boring stuff like hypothesis that grads should know when they get a diploma.

Thi
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
Oct 16, 2011 Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This review first appeared on my blog:

In the intro, the author states:

Use them in your college entrance essays or during job interviews to show that you're well-read and well-spoken. Even if you're past those stages in life, you'll regularly see most of these words in the news.

Middle Bebe Girl Jasmine is a reader - BUT quite often, she interrupts her reading while I'm here to ask, "Mom, what does ____ mean?", and then I'm left to explain it to her, after a
Inspired Kathy
Sep 07, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
I managed to graduate from high school and live another 20 years without knowing many of these words. If asked to define canard, bellicose, fungible, kudzu, nadir, or schadenfreude I would have failed a test!

The author gives a great explanation and definition of each word and then follows up with a quote from a movie, TV show, famous person or famous quote that use the word in context.

It was a falsehood, a canard, a prevarication. Oh, why beat about the bush. It was a simple lie told by a little
Martin
Dec 31, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it
It's a book. With words. And it explains them. That's already better than most of the tripe that's out there. And besides, it's Grammar Girl, so what's not to love? Now get out of my way so I can go read every one of the rest of her books.
Sherri
Jan 29, 2013 Sherri rated it really liked it
This was a fun, quick read that features words to know. I love Fogarty's style of writing and use of fun examples. My two little nitpicky points are (1) a few words needed the addition of how to pronounce them and (2) a few of the aardvark drawings did not seem to fit the word.
Spectacles
Dec 17, 2014 Spectacles rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I reviewed some of Mignon Fogarty’s books here. I liked the books I reviewed before much better than this one. The others were much funnier than this one.

review cross-posted on my blog: Spectacle Aglow
Tim
While I'll agree that most of these words are ones that people should know, I didn't really learn much. However, it may just be that I'm past the vocabulary level this book is aimed at.
Candy
Aug 27, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful book. I revised words I know and learnt new ones. The words are essential for high school students, while not being too difficult or easy.
Christine
Mar 17, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
An excellent mini (mini) dictionary with definitions to words we hear alot in the media. Quite enlightening! And fun to read (for a mini dictionary). ;)
Justin
Dec 31, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
This work is both Eclectic (#19) and Penultimate (#71). Be the envy of your less verbose friends, as they run for the dictionary in chagrin.
J.C. Wing
Sep 25, 2013 J.C. Wing rated it it was amazing
I'm a homeschooling mom and this has been a great addition in my daughter's Language Arts curriculum.
Madison
Dec 02, 2011 Madison rated it really liked it
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Sara
Jun 14, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
A concise list of words with contextual definitions.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Feb 03, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Nat Plasencia
Nat Plasencia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
N.G. Nalepka
N.G. Nalepka rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Rachel A
Rachel A marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sajidah Akar
Sajidah Akar marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
MrWilliams Gifford
MrWilliams Gifford rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Paula isherwood
Paula isherwood marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Lawrien
Lawrien marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • The Seasons of Life
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • They All Laughed...: From Light Bulbs to Lasers: The Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions
  • The Critic as Artist
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • Thrice Told Tales: Three Mice Full of Writing Advice
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...