Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance)

Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When Rosellen Lockharte, penmanship teacher at a girls school, believes she is dying from influenza, she feverishly pens letters to those who have, through various misdeeds, brought her to this pass. And to forgive them. Well, most of them. Let Lord Stanford bear the responsibility for her death always. Except that he arrives in time to rescue her. Regency Romance by Barba...more
Published (first published April 29th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Lockharte's Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Lockharte's Letters

Anne
I don't know why I waited so long to read Metzger, because this was awesome. I had such a delightful time reading Miss Lockharte's Letters! You know the I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-my-life-anymore kind of feeling you get after putting a good book down? This is what happened to me with this one. I did not want it to end. And when it inevitably did, I did not know what to do (I am somewhat recovered now, as I started another good book).

The story opens up with our poor heroine, Miss Rosellen Lockh...more
Soph
If you want a silly, light-hearted, fun story with a dash of romance then this is the book to read. I was laughing throughout! It should have been a sad story, or rather, could have been a sad story, given that the heroine was either dying of influenza or trying to be murdered for most of the book! However, the brilliant, humorous and often sarcastic tone of the story meant that it was not sad in the slightest!

There is everything from murderous vicars to troublesome twins, evil uncles to one-ey...more
Miranda Davis
This was a brilliant, brilliant, fun story. Rather, I should say, BRILLIANT. AND SOO FUN!

It's opening was absolutely unique and unforgettable. A gentlewoman discarded by her father and relatives and eking out a living as an underfed and underpaid penmanship teacher at an academy for young ladies, is near death from influenza. She decides to pen letters to the tormentors who stole her life before she ever had a chance to live it. Her list of 'nevers' is at once heartbreaking and hilarious. I love...more
MRB
Barbara Metzger's novels are as close to a literary antidepressant as you can find. In a genre that sometimes drowns under the weight of its own angst, Metzger's books are unashamedly joyful, giddy, high energy gems. Like most of my favorite romance writers, she writes in a witty, sharp and breezily accessible style while managing to sneak in splashes of depth and insight more often that you might expect. The plot is engaging and surprisingly intricate, and after a somewhat sluggish beginning it...more
Valshar ⚜ Jonathan
A fun quick romance! This is the first book I’ve read by Metzger and I’m impressed so far. :-)

The Good

GREAT heroine! Rosellen is both sarcastic (in a good way) and so stubborn she’s immediately likable. :-)

Great secondary characters! The twins in particular were very humorous.

Interesting plot outside of romance. I’m always happy to see this in a romance novel as it adds so much.

Happy ending! :-)

The Mediocre

The hero. Granted I liked Wynn, but he lost some points for having had a few dalliances...more
Qnpoohbear
Miss Rosellen Lockharte is dying from the influenza epidemic that's raging through the school where she teaches. She believes she won't last the night, so in her fevered state, with her last bit of energy, she writers letters to all those who wronged her (and a few she believes she wronged)- starting with her awful uncle who disowned her mother and ending with the brother of her one and only friend. True, Susan tried to help, but she forgot to get her brother's approval and he dismissed Rosellen...more
Marilyn Rondeau
If she must die, Rosellen Lockharte is not leaving this earthly plain without telling a few people just what she thinks of them. Summoning what little strength she has left, Rosellen pens several letters to tell them all how they had hurt her - but since she was dying - she was forgiving them. However, Rosellen does not die and her letters lived as well to be delivered and the repercussions are not at all what she expected.

*** Knowing this book was penned by Barbara Metzger, and if you are at a...more
Linda
MISS LOCKHARTE'S LETTERS is the first book by Barbara Metzger that I have read. Published in 1998, this book is a Regency Romance of the old-school variety. The main character, Rosellen Lockharte, is both intelligent and witty when she isn't "dying".

The first third of this 213 page book has Rosellen on her deathbed determined to write letters to all those people who have affected her life, Viscount Stanford among them. Honestly, I found this part slow-going but I understood why the author wrote...more
Ritsky
After several Barbara Metzger books, I think I'm gonna put my review of Barbara Metzger in general here since this is so far the most rated book of hers in goodreads and quite representative for her older regencies.

The good about her books:
1. The unusual plot. Usually several situations that tangles into one chaotic, hilarious mess. However, I feel that she does this in quite a "regency way". As weird as the plot goes, I can still be sure that I AM reading a story from regency era, not some oth...more
Elen
4.5 stars.

This is the first time I'm reading a full length novel by Metzger. I've only read her short stories before, and they were delightful. This one's even sweeter, as we actually get to know the characters better. It's got every elements of Metzger stories I've read so far. It would be labeled under traditional regencies but is not so.. typical. I mean, a sweet, decorous, and a little adventurous romance between a staid schoolteacher and a titled lord is nothing out of usual. But Metzger m...more
Christopher
This book was utterly HILARIOUS! I was a bit worried, based on some of the reviews - but I didn't feel the silliness was over the top. One of the best clean regencies I read in a while.

You can read some other reviews on Amazon.
Lori
I loved this little novel. It's a madcap romp, think of Claudette Colbert or Carol Lombard in the movies. Miss Lockharte is dying. She spends her last night writing letters to the people she feels are responsible for her sad life. The consequences are hilarious. I was in the mood for a light, easy read and this more than filled the bill.
Janet
I wanted to like this book more. It just got too silly at times. There were too many people with the same initials, too much frenetic action and it all got to be a bit much.

The scenes with the H/h were what made the book.
Shannon Cooley
This is probably my favorite of the Regency books I've read lately. The sheer ridiculousness of a lot of it was great. I really liked the sense of humor.
Celine
This was one of those books that had me chuckling all through it. I know - chuckling sounds like such an old-fashioned word today. But it's not fully accurate to say that I was laughing - no deep belly laughs - LOL laughs. I smiled frequently, and there were constant little funny things that popped up in this book that just made you "chuckle!" Anyway, for me, that equals a winner of a book. Sure, you have your typical cliche of a storyline, but there's enough different in the book, enough ridicu...more
Katherine
A vicars orphaned daughter discarded by her uncle in London to Huss up a scandal made up by her cousin works as a schoolteacher in an awful school and catches deathly influenza. Convinced she is at deaths door she writes letters to all the people that ruined her life and he only friend she knew. Her only friend happened to be the sister of the Viscount who ruined her life. He is a known rake and is accosted by his sister to ring flowers to her ailing former schoolteacher. Me agrees to come becau...more
Cruth
Author: Barbara Metzger
First published: 1998
Length: 2684 kindle locations
Setting: Regency-ish
Sex: Clean.

It's a farce - a comedy of errors. Someone's out to kill her but no-one believes her as she is pushed down stairs, almost run over, smothered, poisoned... Surely someone will eventually work it out?

An easy read with silly plot points driving us to an obvious conclusion. I wish Clarice had more of a come-uppance but it's nicely woven and nothing is quite overlooked.

This is one of those books w...more
Kathy
I really enjoyed this one. I loved the premise; poor Rosellen is on her deathbed and decides to writes letters to those who had done her wrong. I loved that she didn’t hold anything back. Luckily, Rosellen lives, but the letters were still sent. It was fun to see the ramifications of those letters and how the recipients reacted to them. I admit I didn’t care too much for Stanford. He was so arrogant and never trusted Rosellen, until it was almost too late. I think he does soften towards the end...more
RIF
I should have written a review right after I read it bc this was a fun and original read but now the details are hazy. The heroine gets into all kinds of high jinks when she writes some letters on her deathbed but survives. Charming writing, will look for more.
Barbi
Light, fun, charming - what else could you want in a quick regency read?
Bonnie Tharp
This was a delightful romp. I haven't read a Regency in a long time and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Thanks to my friend Tracy for sharing it with me.
Eileen Dreyer
"Dear Uncle. I am dying, and I never had a dog."
When poor teacher Miss Lockhart believes she is dying of influenza, she writes a final letter to several people she considers responsible for her sad predicament. As you can imagine, the letters set several drams into play, which intersect in a most amusing way.
This is one of my very favorite traditional regency romances, full of wit and wonderful characters. I highly recommend it.
Julie Malcolm
The beginning of this book made me think it was going to involve some mysteries to be solved as well as a romance. It felt like the author couldn't be bothered with them in the end. The humour is all slapstick with no subtlety to it. An tolerable read, nothing special.
Harry Rutherford
Regency romance. Like a lot of them, it reads like the author is trying to channel Georgette Heyer from beyond the grave; but TBH a Heyer substitute is what I'm looking for, so that's fine by me. And it's an enjoyable example of the type.
Louise Allen
The delightful story of what happens when a destitute schoolteacher, convinced she is dying, writes to everyone who has blighted her life and tells them the truth about her feelings for them. The problem is... she doesn't die
T
I smiled often during this book, especially with Rosellen's letters. Rosellen and Lord Stanford have great chemistry and I enjoyed most of their journey. As with a few other Barbara Mezger books I've read, the ending drags on.
Karen
Ms. Metzger has won awards for humor in romance novels, and this one is a good example. It was quite funny, and sweet instead of sexualized. I really liked the characters and it had an amusing plot.
Kathleen
3.75 stars. It's lighthearted, funny, poignant, sad, and suspenseful. An enjoyable read! Not sexy enough at the end. I wanted a love scene, or at least a great epic kiss scene.
Lou
Slightly silly but fun to read - something of a light-hearted mild farce.

[Read for the Seasonal Reading Challenge Fall 09 task 15.10 (Teacher):]
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • The Lady's Companion
  • Fallen Angel
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Reforming the Viscount
  • Lady with a Black Umbrella
  • Darcy's Tale, (Volume I: Into Hertfordshire)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • Danse de la Folie
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance...more
More about Barbara Metzger...
The Bargain Bride Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance) Ace of Hearts (House of Cards #1) A Worthy Wife Wedded Bliss