Start by marking “Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1: Race to Death Valley” as Want to Read:
Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1: Race to Death Valley

Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1: Race to Death Valley (Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse #1)

Today everyone knows Mickey Mouse as the cheerful ambassador of
all things Disney. But back in the 1930s, Mickey gained fame as a rough-and-tumble, two-fisted epic hero — an adventurous
scrapper matching wits with mobsters, kidnappers, spies, and even (gulp!) city slickers! And Mickey’s greatest
feats of derring-do took place in his daily comic strip, written and drawn by one
Published June 15th 2011 by Fantagraphics (first published May 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Stonekeeper by Kazu KibuishiBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Best Graphic Novels for Children
260th out of 803 books — 1,075 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanBatman by Frank Miller
500 Essential Graphic Novels
223rd out of 835 books — 643 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Jun 19, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
I love vintage newspaper comic strips, their rich visual language, and what they say about the period they were printed in. When it comes to re-introducing vintage comics to a new audience, Fantagraphics is one of the best – repackaging often overlooked strips in handsome bound volumes with expert commentary and historic tidbits. In 2011, they teamed up with the Disney company to take on the task of republishing their Mickey Mouse daily comic strip from its classic 1930s era onward. It’s a ...more
Darrell Reimer
Jun 28, 2011 Darrell Reimer rated it it was amazing
The genesis of a soulless corporate mascot gone global was, incredibly, a robust and vibrant affair that developed daily in the newspapers of North America all through the Great Depression. Via the pen and ink of Floyd Gottfredson, Mickey Mouse was portrayed as an embattled and even occasionally embittered little character who struggled mightily against the odds, sometimes just to keep from despair. The strips are reproduced at scale, with a clarity of contrast that brings out Gottfredson's fine ...more
Andrew
Aug 01, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
While recent comic stories, movies, and games like Epic Mickey are reintroducing a more adventurous Mickey Mouse to audiences more familiar with him as a suburban homeowner, more straight man to the comic antics of his pets and friends than a leading man in his own right, this book proves that this is only a return to form. Mickey, under the pen of writer/artist Floyd Gottfredson, is a plucky, feisty adventurer, full of spirit and attitude. It's also a fantastic adventure strip.

Artist Carl Barks
Lionel
Jun 22, 2011 Lionel rated it really liked it
A wonderful book. I first learned about Gottfredson's Mickey nearly three decades ago, but most of my encounters with it have been piecemeal. It's great to finally have the beginning of a comprehensive, chronological collection in a sturdy, beautiful, affordable English edition.

The book covers Gottfredson's first work on the strip, which began very early in the strip's life (for the sake of completeness, the pre-Gottfredson strips are included in one of the archival supplements in the rear). A w
Alex Firer
Mar 04, 2015 Alex Firer rated it it was amazing
Wow surprise surprise, right, the big virgin gave the Mickey book five stars! The big stinky virgin gave this book five stars! You know it's high time you people gave me a little RESPECT around here.

Anyway the comics and the special features are these bulletproof near perfect depression killers and the special features could not be more incredibly thorough. The press releases from the 1930's alone are worth six times the price of the book. Long live Mickey indeed.
Eric Orchard
Jun 13, 2011 Eric Orchard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, kids
Fantastic, fast moving and a blast. Great 1930s adventure comics. Better than I hoped it would be.
Ivano Porpora
Nov 25, 2016 Ivano Porpora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Libro pregiato, curatissimo, pieno di materiale interessante. Peccato i diversi refusi.
Morgan
Apr 14, 2016 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Want to know why Mickey Mouse is such a huge icon and why he is so important to the world of cartoons and comics? Read these volumes collecting Floyd Gottfredson's run on the Mickey Mouse comic strips. Not only do these volumes give you about two years worth of stories each, they also give you enough background information. There is plenty of reading material. However, these books are more for adult fans of Mickey Mouse and for the people that enjoy the history of comic strips.

One of the best th
Keith Bowden
Sep 05, 2011 Keith Bowden rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, humor, collection
At last! The beginning of the complete Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse comics! I've been in love with Gottfredson's work since I found Walt Disney's Comic Digest #40 (April 1973) when I was 9. It'll be a few volumes before the first of those strips are collected here (1942's "Bar-None Ranch" sequence), so we'll have plenty of time to watch his development as an artist, writer (though most of the strips were written with others) and Mickey's stylistic development. I really prefer the old "pie-cut ...more
Bart Hill
Jan 19, 2014 Bart Hill rated it really liked it
I read volume 2 before I read volume 1 of this series. Volume 1 is a quicker read, since the strips reprinted in this volume are shorter and filled with more gags than in volume 2 which featured several long running adventure stories of the Mouse and his fellow characters. Still, if one were to read the Essays & Special Features, which I did, then these parts can be rather dry.

I also can't give it a 5 star rating due to the editor reminding me that in today's modern society the mouse wouldn'
Dominick
Nov 20, 2011 Dominick rated it liked it
I really want to give this book a higher rating because it is in many ways an impressive and even noble effort. The careful creit given to all hands who worked on the strips, and the treasure trove of archival materials, make a valuable addition. However, the size is just too small, at least for 48-year-old eyes. I had to squint to read alot of these strips, especially the more text-heavy ones. Something the size being used by IDW for Little Orphan Annie would have been more in order (and if ...more
Emily
Oct 20, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
There's a warning on the back cover that says something like "this book contains cartoon violence and racism presented in historical context," so it's not really a great thing to show to kids who would be too young to understand such things. But if you're interested in Mickey-genesis, this is definitely worth a look. I never would have expected Mickey to be such a tough guy, but these strips are totally action packed. The comics themselves were decent, but I enjoyed the supplementary materials ...more
Joe
May 11, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Aside from the upsetting nature of Mickey's suicide attempts during a week in October 1930, this book was quite entertaining. Thankfully, enough historical context and supplemental features are given in order to help the reader somewhat understand the mindset of Walt and other creators. These daily comic strips are an important step in the evolution of Mickey and Minnie as characters and celebrities. It's also nice to see "forgotten" characters such as Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar.
I loo
Wouter
Feb 18, 2013 Wouter rated it really liked it
The first half of this reads a bit like a museum piece. The stories get better as time progresses though. If this book were just stories, I'd give it three stars. The reason there are four at the top of this review are the bonus features. The articles and archival content give these stories so much more depth, are thought through and don't over-analyse the stories, which tends to happen with the Carl Barks library. Can't wait to read the other volumes (especially the stories I remember reading ...more
Nathaniel
Jun 08, 2012 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, comedy
This collection of some of Floyd Gottfredson's run on Disney's Mickey Mouse comics is wonderful for all serious connoisseurs of graphic literature, though personally I've always found the classic funnies to be challenging to read. This is no fault of the author, the format is specifically tailored to be run as a daily strip, but modern readers that are used to the comic-book made find it laboring. Still, these comix are essential for anyone interested in the history and development of sequential ...more
Jdetrick
I should start out by saying that the book is beautiful; great reproductions, some fascinating historical context for the strips and lots of extra goodies. Unfortunately, the strips have not, for me, weathered the decades well. I found much of it dull; not funny enough or exciting enough to keep my interest. I'd love to say I enjoyed it, but sadly I found it to be nothing more than a historical curiosity.
James
Oct 17, 2011 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Unlike a lot of other classic comic strips I've enjoyed, this installment seemed overly anchored in its time period. The gags were square--and occasionally repeated, at that--and even the action and suspense seemed a little hokey.

The drawings were fluid and lively, but this felt more like a museum piece than an unearthed gem.
Mike Jensen
Feb 23, 2013 Mike Jensen rated it it was amazing
Frankly, the comic strips reprinted from the first two years of the feature's life are just four stars, but the introductions and essays are absolutely first rate and make this the definitive WALT DISNEY'S MICKEY MOUSE reprint. The only drawback is that the strips need to reproduced in a slightly larger size. Even a half-inch would help greatly.
Jeff
Jul 20, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney, comics
A great look at the rise of Disney Comics's popularity and the influence of Floyd Gottfredson on the development of Mickey Mouse's personality in the 1930s. The one main flaw I had with the book was the tiny size. Its print was so small I could not read much at one time as it gave me a headache. I enjoyed the book, but would have loved to see it be printed just a tiny bit bigger.
Alex Robinson
Jun 22, 2011 Alex Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm not really much of a fan of comic strips but despite the cornball stories this is some great, classic cartooning which is a joy to look at. Many people probably don't even realize that in his early life Mickey Mouse was more of a spunky adventurer than a corporate mascot.
Mike Rawlings
Mar 06, 2014 Mike Rawlings rated it it was amazing
Anyone used to the blandly cheerful modern-day Mickey will be astonished to meet his 1930's self, a tough little scrapper with quick wits, fast fists, and a heart of gold. Some of the concepts are dated, but on the whole these stories are terrific adventures - and funny to boot.
Dan
Feb 02, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Some very entertaining and very early Mickey Mouse newspaper comics that show the early stages of his evolution, along with some insightful history and commentary to give the reader insight into the creation of these comics.
Mark Stratton
May 22, 2013 Mark Stratton rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, history
What a well done collection. it's on a par with the Walt & Skeezix books as far as quality and material included.
Alex Firer
Jul 27, 2011 Alex Firer rated it it was amazing
Brilliant storylines with its own bizarre Earthy oft kilter rhythm and that fantastically horrible/amazing in its abstractness Ub Iwerks charm.
Sage Latorra
Aug 22, 2012 Sage Latorra rated it really liked it
A whole new vision of Mickey Mouse for me. Worth a look, though so far it appears the later strips are better.
B
Mar 13, 2016 B rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
It felt very "of the period." Probably the most interesting thing is Horsecollar Horace, who really seems like he could have become the star of the strip.
Joe
Aug 22, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
It's absolutely fascinating to read these Mickey Mouse dailies from the 30s. They speak volumes about where the US was then and how we've got to where we are.
Nickcole
Nickcole rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Paul Palmer
Paul Palmer rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
So good 1 2 Mar 04, 2013 07:00PM
  • Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes (The Carl Barks Library, #7)
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • The Complete Terry and the Pirates, Vol. 1: 1934-1936
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Popeye, Vol. 2: Well Blow Me Down!
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics
  • Beta Testing the Apocalypse
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
Arthur Floyd Gottfredson was an American cartoonist best known for his defining work on the Mickey Mouse comic strip. He has probably had the same impact on the Mickey Mouse comics as Carl Barks had on the Donald Duck comics. Two decades after his death, his memory was honored with the Disney Legends citation in 2003 and induction into the Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2006.
More about Floyd Gottfredson...

Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 2: Trapped on Treasure Island
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 3: High Noon at Inferno Gulch
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 4: House of the Seven Haunts!
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 5: Outwits the Phantom Blot
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 6: Lost in Lands Long Ago
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 7: March of the Zombies
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 8: The Tomorrow Wars
  • Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Vol. 9: "Rise Of The Rhyming Man"
  • Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Vol. 10: "Planet Of Faceless Foes"
  • Mickey Mouse Color Sundays, Vol. 1: Call of the Wild